logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bloodynora  
#26 Posted : 12 April 2013 01:02:42(UTC)
bloodynora

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:

What have i seen Carey Mulligan in before? I know her from something.She's good.

most notably 'an education', and the (best ever) dr who episode 'blink'.
thanks 1 user thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#27 Posted : 12 April 2013 05:24:36(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
bloodynora wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

What have i seen Carey Mulligan in before? I know her from something.She's good.

most notably 'an education', and the (best ever) dr who episode 'blink'.

Thanks. Not seen An Education so it must be that Dr Who Blink episode i recognise her from then
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Debaser  
#28 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:36:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3025 time(s) in 2081 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:

Well I've seen her in the Wall Street sequel that came out a couple of years ago, and of course she was in the Ryan Gosling film Drive about the stunt man/ getaway driver who didn't say a lot. I really liked Drive, although i might have liked it even more if there had been just a teeny bit more dialogue in it.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Bill  
#29 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:54:28(UTC)
Bill

Man

Drive, of course! Yep I knew it was something more recent than that Dr Who episode I'd seen her in. Yeah not a bad film that. That song A Real Hero in that movie is a good tune, and also the Kavinsky track.
Bill  
#30 Posted : 13 April 2013 12:51:50(UTC)
Bill

Man

Seven Psychopaths.Quality film but maddening at the end when as the credits start and the fantastic Different Drum by Stone Poneys feat Linda Ronstadt starts playing but after a few seconds it cuts off and goes to Tom Waits' character phoning Colin Farrell's character to ask him why he hadn't included his requested message at the end of the film .

Edited by user 13 April 2013 12:52:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 13/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#31 Posted : 16 April 2013 12:23:58(UTC)
Bill

Man

Headhunters, that Norwegian film about the art thief. Really good , that one.
ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#32 Posted : 19 April 2013 13:31:41(UTC)
Bill

Man

Naked, first saw this film when it came out around, what, 93 -94? Brilliant film. Or brilliantly grim - that early 90s, post Thatcher Britain.David Thewlis, fantastic - should have got an oscar for this. Actually, it's definitely one of my all time favourite films, come to think of it.

"Was I bored? No, I wasn't fuckin' bored. I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them, and it doesn't matter how tawdry or vacuous they are as long as it's new as long as it's new as long as it flashes and fuckin' bleeps in forty fuckin' different colors. So whatever else you can say about me, I'm not fuckin' bored."
thanks 2 users thanked Bill for this useful post.
bloodynora on 19/04/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/04/2013(UTC)
Cranelane  
#33 Posted : 19 April 2013 13:43:24(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:
Naked, first saw this film when it came out around, what, 93 -94? Brilliant film. Or brilliantly grim - that early 90s, post Thatcher Britain.David Thewlis, fantastic - should have got an oscar for this. Actually, it's definitely one of my all time favourite films, come to think of it.

"Was I bored? No, I wasn't fuckin' bored. I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them, and it doesn't matter how tawdry or vacuous they are as long as it's new as long as it's new as long as it flashes and fuckin' bleeps in forty fuckin' different colors. So whatever else you can say about me, I'm not fuckin' bored."

I can remember seeing that on video with a friend who still lives near me but who I never see anymore, a recluse actually, but this was one of the many films that he turned me on to, I must watch it again,

How that main character would rail against the facebook/twitter world that we now inhabit..

thanks 2 users thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
bloodynora on 19/04/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#34 Posted : 20 April 2013 02:22:06(UTC)
Bill

Man

Cranelane wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

I can remember seeing that on video with a friend who still lives near me but who I never see anymore, a recluse actually, but this was one of the many films that he turned me on to, I must watch it again,

How that main character would rail against the facebook/twitter world that we now inhabit..

"Is Naked Britain's Most Under-rated film?" I'd say yes, abso- fucking- lutely

The Orb sampled some of Thewlis' character Johnny's diatribes from the film in one of their tracks a few years back.

For all the film's grimness there's some side splittingly hilarious lines from Thewlis, absolute classics

Maggie - "Have you ever seen a dead body?"

Johnny - "Only me own"

Edited by user 20 April 2013 03:20:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 20/04/2013(UTC)
bloodynora  
#35 Posted : 20 April 2013 05:34:32(UTC)
bloodynora

headhunters looks good, cheers for the tip, johnny.

i am currently gobbling up episodes of 'parks and recreation' like a bowlful of skittles. they're showing the second series on beeb 2 at the mo, i think - the first series was not great, but it gets better and better. series 4 is ace, and i'm developing a bit of a crush on adam scott as ben wyatt. he's lovely.

film-wise, there's something coming out soon that i'm looking forward to, but i'm buggered if i can remember what. hope this helps.

not the weather for cinemas, anyway, is it? i fancy an outdoor screening of something frivolous while i eat grapes from a picnic and get gently sloshed on something fizzy.

Cranelane  
#36 Posted : 20 April 2013 11:28:25(UTC)
Cranelane

Thanks again wrote:

I would rate Naked alongside Kes, 1984 and A Clockwork Orange as masterpieces of British cinema, the theories about the Johnny character put forward in that Guardian article make for interesting reading, must watch it again soon...
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Bill  
#37 Posted : 20 April 2013 13:48:53(UTC)
Bill

Man

Cranelane wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

I would rate Naked alongside Kes, 1984 and A Clockwork Orange as masterpieces of British cinema, the theories about the Johnny character put forward in that Guardian article make for interesting reading, must watch it again soon...

Thewlis' character Johnny has such a razor sharp wit.Actually, razor sharp doesn't even come close to describing it. Almost every line is genius.The funny as fuck scenes where he meets the homeless Scottish lad Archie and then Archie's girlfriend, she asks Johnny if when he saw Archie he had any chips and he replies "Only a big one on his shoulder" lol
Cranelane  
#38 Posted : 20 April 2013 23:49:59(UTC)
Cranelane

Thanks again wrote:
Cranelane wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

Thewlis' character Johnny has such a razor sharp wit.Actually, razor sharp doesn't even come close to describing it. Almost every line is genius.The funny as fuck scenes where he meets the homeless Scottish lad Archie and then Archie's girlfriend, she asks Johnny if when he saw Archie he had any chips and he replies "Only a big one on his shoulder" lol

Archie: You taking the piss?

Johnny: Your'e giving it away, aren't you?

MAGGIE!

Edited by user 21 April 2013 02:29:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
bloodynora  
#39 Posted : 21 April 2013 14:18:30(UTC)
bloodynora

new 'endeavour' is excellent. shaun evans is such a marvelis actor - really very good in his own right, but also managing to evoke john thaw in the subtleties of his performance. just brilliant.

'broadchurch' finale tomorrow! WHODUNNIT?

Edited by user 21 April 2013 14:22:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 22/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#40 Posted : 21 April 2013 19:27:10(UTC)
Bill

Man

bloodynora wrote:

'broadchurch' finale tomorrow! WHODUNNIT?

Olivia Coleman's hubby I reckon . Though I could and probably will be surprised. Could be almost any of 'em.
ROCKET MICK on 22/04/2013(UTC), bloodynora on 22/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#41 Posted : 21 April 2013 22:58:44(UTC)
Bill

Man

Or her sister? We saw her in one early episode, she said she knew something but we didn't find out what and never saw her again did we?
ROCKET MICK on 22/04/2013(UTC), bloodynora on 22/04/2013(UTC)
bloodynora  
#42 Posted : 22 April 2013 05:24:43(UTC)
bloodynora

Thanks again wrote:
Or her sister? We saw her in one early episode, she said she knew something but we didn't find out what and never saw her again did we?

oooooooooh! well remembered. i don't think it was the sister, but the sister could have dirt on the hubby. it does look like it might be him now, doesn't it?

but what is his MOTIVE?
Bill  
#43 Posted : 22 April 2013 07:21:27(UTC)
Bill

Man

bloodynora wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

oooooooooh! well remembered. i don't think it was the sister, but the sister could have dirt on the hubby. it does look like it might be him now, doesn't it?

but what is his MOTIVE?

Just noticed it throughout the series that we've never seen the sister again.Think in the scene mentioned she told Ellie she knew something but wanted money to tell what she knew because she was skint again so Ellie told her to piss off because she didn't want to lend her money again.And isn't she something to do with that young journalist lad (Olly)? They were a couple but now split up? There was one scene in that same early episode where the two of them were colluding in something or other? Could even be Olly who did the murder to sell newspapers and get himself up the career ladder? Is that the motive? Probably not .

Ellie's hubby has acted and said things suspicious fairly often throughout the series but it will probably turn out not to be him afterall!

An aside, the murdered lad's parents seem an odd match to me, she's too good for him INMHO.

Tonight's final episode is 5 minutes longer than usual i think and i read the revelation of the killer will be at the very, very end

edit: maybe it was Psychic Steve?

Edited by user 22 April 2013 07:23:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

El Jarvo  
#44 Posted : 22 April 2013 11:29:02(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
bloodynora wrote:
i am currently gobbling up episodes of 'parks and recreation' like a bowlful of skittles. they're showing the second series on beeb 2 at the mo, i think - the first series was not great, but it gets better and better. series 4 is ace, and i'm developing a bit of a crush on adam scott as ben wyatt. he's lovely.

I'm pretty much up-to-date with these, downloading them to my phone as they appear online. It's not exactly cutting edge, but well worth watching. Tom genuinely cracks me up, and I think I've got crushes on both April and Donna!

Started watching Happy Endings as well. Again, not exactly cutting edge, but easy to watch.

Also, The Following. Not convinced by James Purefoy as a serial killer nor indeed Kevin Bacon as his nemesis cop (although he does make me chuckle at times). Good concept though, and plenty of scope for twists and turns so will stick with it.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#45 Posted : 23 April 2013 02:21:00(UTC)
Bill

Man

Broadchurch will return? How's that going to work? Another murder in the community still trying to come to terms with one already?

Mixed feelings on who the killer turned out to be. It was who I'd guess it was but would have preferred a surprise. And why no twist after the revelation of the killer in the first 10 minutes of the episode?

Glad to find out the sister of DI Miller is alive and well though! DI Miller gave her A GRAND for the info that was basically just that the sister had seen a bloke in a hat she couldn't recognise putting something in a wheelie bin on the night of the murder? lol

And what was with the murdered lad's dad being allowed to go and speak to the killer in the Police cell ( through the hatch admittedly , but still )? Seemed a bit odd.

Didn't think Olivia Colman's acting in reaction to finding out it was her hubby who did the murder was that great.I mean, it was alright but nothing special i thought, maybe i should watch that scene again to see what all the fuss is about. Still, was a good series by ITV standards.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 08:42:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bloodynora  
#46 Posted : 23 April 2013 08:59:09(UTC)
bloodynora

Thanks again wrote:
Broadchurch will return? How's that going to work? Another murder in the community still trying to come to terms with one already?

I KNOW!

Thanks again wrote:
Mixed feelings on who the killer turned out to be. It was who I'd guess it was but would have preferred a surprise. And why no twist after the revelation of the killer in the first 10 minutes of the episode?

aha. i think it was because this: as well as the murder mystery, what they actually did throughout the series was explore the theme of kiddy fiddling, including the impact on wives, family members, collective guilt, the legacy of accusations and suspicion, the fine line regarding age and consent, and so on. in fact, the more i think about it, the more impressed i am. it wasn't flawless, but i think it might be first time i've seen this subject examined on telly with any intelligence since the brilliant brass eye.

Thanks again wrote:
And what was with the murdered lad's dad being allowed to go and speak to the killer in the Police cell ( through the hatch admittedly , but still )? Seemed a bit odd.

yes. silly. although i did like the framing of the shot.

Thanks again wrote:
Didn't think Olivia Colman's acting in reaction to finding out it was her hubby who did the murder was that great.I mean, it was alright but nothing special i thought, maybe i should watch that scene again to see what all the fuss is about. Still, was a good series by ITV standards.

i actually thought she was incredible in this bit. and i thought danny's dad did very well too.
ROCKET MICK on 25/04/2013(UTC)
bloodynora  
#47 Posted : 23 April 2013 09:01:56(UTC)
bloodynora

El Jarvo wrote:
bloodynora wrote:

I'm pretty much up-to-date with these, downloading them to my phone as they appear online. It's not exactly cutting edge, but well worth watching. Tom genuinely cracks me up, and I think I've got crushes on both April and Donna!

the best thing about tom is that he has a face like a muppet - an actual jim henson muppet. especially when he does that open-mouthed smile. kills me.

Bill  
#48 Posted : 23 April 2013 09:32:56(UTC)
Bill

Man

bloodynora wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

I KNOW!

As one review i read put it - "we need more series like Broadchurch, not more Broadchurch"

bloodynora wrote:

Thanks again wrote:

aha. i think it was because this: as well as the murder mystery, what they actually did throughout the series was explore the theme of kiddy fiddling, including the impact on wives, family members, collective guilt, the legacy of accusations and suspicion, the fine line regarding age and consent, and so on. in fact, the more i think about it, the more impressed i am. it wasn't flawless, but i think it might be first time i've seen this subject examined on telly with any intelligence since the brilliant brass eye.

Fair points
bloodynora  
#49 Posted : 26 April 2013 08:42:21(UTC)
bloodynora

watched 'four lions' with the kids at school today. it really is so very very good. not much keeps this lot quiet/entertained for an hour and a half, but they loved it.

(whether they picked up all the clever bits i need them to work on next week remains to be seen. Wink)

still incredibly proud of my secondborn dubbing it a 'bomb-com'.
ROCKET MICK on 26/04/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#50 Posted : 26 April 2013 13:18:48(UTC)
Bill

Man

Four Lions, reminded me of in the pub a while back me and a mate were talking about how Fräulein the barmaid looked and another mate misheard as Four Lions and started going on about the film. Well it was funny at the time, ok?Smile
ROCKET MICK on 26/04/2013(UTC)