logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#76 Posted : 14 September 2024 10:24:18(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3169 time(s) in 2185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
I have never heard New Order play anything off Movement at the gigs I attended. In fact, the one and only time they delivered the material on the first album onstage in Japan is Denial at the Tokyo show, May 1st, 1985 — their Japanese debut.

By the time they released PC&L, the group seems to have grown weary of Movement. They may regard it as a product of the transitional period from JD to NO, perhaps.

I heard Revenge play Dreams Never End for the encore in Osaka, January 30th, 1991, though. And Hooky & The Light performed the whole Movement and PC&L albums at Manchester Cathedral on January 18th, 2013, which I attended.

I've not heard anything from Movement live either. But that's likely due to not seeing them until 1987. At least "Ceremony" still gets regular outings. When you consider the success of "Temptation" (not necessarily commercially) in forging a new direction, you can understand why they left so many of those early tracks in the past. I maintain "Chosen Time" would be the best candidate for a modern rework, but theres so many later tracks to choose from, why would they bother?

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 14/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#77 Posted : 14 September 2024 12:07:02(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I have never heard New Order play anything off Movement at the gigs I attended. In fact, the one and only time they delivered the material on the first album onstage in Japan is Denial at the Tokyo show, May 1st, 1985 — their Japanese debut.

By the time they released PC&L, the group seems to have grown weary of Movement. They may regard it as a product of the transitional period from JD to NO, perhaps.

I heard Revenge play Dreams Never End for the encore in Osaka, January 30th, 1991, though. And Hooky & The Light performed the whole Movement and PC&L albums at Manchester Cathedral on January 18th, 2013, which I attended.

I've not heard anything from Movement live either. But that's likely due to not seeing them until 1987. At least "Ceremony" still gets regular outings. When you consider the success of "Temptation" (not necessarily commercially) in forging a new direction, you can understand why they left so many of those early tracks in the past. I maintain "Chosen Time" would be the best candidate for a modern rework, but theres so many later tracks to choose from, why would they bother?

My first New Order concert was Osaka 1985. The frequency they played the songs on Movement had already dropped considerably in 1983.

Maybe they felt like distancing themselves from the album’s “JD sans Ian Curtis” vibe once they established a new identity and direction with Temptation and PC&L, while keeping Ceremony and In A Lonely Place as the almost only testimonies of their connection with the past.

https://www.setlist.fm/s.../new-order-63d6b237.html

thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Andy on 14/09/2024(UTC)
tapebias  
#78 Posted : 14 September 2024 12:26:04(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 168 post(s)

My first New Order concert was Osaka 1985. The frequency they played the songs on Movement had already dropped considerably in 1983.

Maybe they felt like distancing themselves from the album’s “JD sans Ian Curtis” vibe once they established a new identity and direction with Temptation and PC&L, while keeping Ceremony and In A Lonely Place as the almost only testimonies of their connection with the past.

https://www.setlist.fm/s.../new-order-63d6b237.html

Chosen Time is my fav from Movement, I can live without the rest. There were so many other better songs they had that could have been on Movement such as C&W/Mesh/Procession. I though it was cool at the time not to put singles/B sides on albums but Movement would have been much better with the B sides rather than the samey dirges that ended up on it.
thanks 2 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Andy on 14/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 14/09/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#79 Posted : 14 September 2024 16:08:21(UTC)
Andy

Man

I don't think I'm the only one who would rather hear "Everything's Gone Green" live more that any other Movement era track.
The Japanese One  
#80 Posted : 14 September 2024 18:29:43(UTC)
The Japanese One

Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post

Chosen Time is my fav from Movement, I can live without the rest. There were so many other better songs they had that could have been on Movement such as C&W/Mesh/Procession. I though it was cool at the time not to put singles/B sides on albums but Movement would have been much better with the B sides rather than the samey dirges that ended up on it.

I for one prefer Movement to PC&L. And my favorite NO albums are Low Life and Brotherhood.

Procession is a great, under-appreciated song. But C&W and Mesh are no better or worse than the average tracks on Movement IMHO. Had In A Lonely Place been included in the Movement album instead of being released as a single B-side, I’d say it would have sounded another ‘dirge’. Context matters.

I don't think I'm the only one who would rather hear "Everything's Gone Green" live more that any other Movement era track.

EGG is a powerful tune. Belongs to its own and wouldn’t fit Movement as an album track.

Andy  
#81 Posted : 14 September 2024 19:25:46(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post

I for one prefer Movement to PC&L. And my favorite NO albums are Low Life and Brotherhood.

Procession is a great, under-appreciated song. But C&W and Mesh are no better or worse than the average tracks on Movement IMHO. Had In A Lonely Place been included in the Movement album instead of being released as a single B-side, I’d say it would have sounded another ‘dirge’. Context matters.

EGG is a powerful tune. Belongs to its own and wouldn’t fit Movement as an album track.

tapebias was the one suggesting an alternate Movement tracklisting.

I agree that "Procession" and "Everything's Gone Green" would not suit being shoehorned onto the album. The former is bit lighter and the latter is perhaps too disconnected/forward thinking to fit. Movement can't help but be more tied to their past. And there's nothing wrong with someone preferring that to the direction "EGG", "Temptation", "Blue Monday" and Power, Corruption and Lies took the group. Speaking of PC&L, though you don't prefer it, what are your thoughts on "We All Stand" and "Ultraviolence"? These tracks (and outtake/single "Murder") are the only ones on the album that I feel still have a foot in the past. Does this aspect make you look on them more fondly?
The Japanese One  
#82 Posted : 14 September 2024 20:25:59(UTC)
The Japanese One

Speaking of PC&L, though you don't prefer it, what are your thoughts on "We All Stand" and "Ultraviolence"? These tracks (and outtake/single "Murder") are the only ones on the album that I feel still have a foot in the past. Does this aspect make you look on them more fondly?

Not necessarily.
I didn’t give a spin to PC&L that much when it came out and I only have an impression of the album as an entirety rather than individual songs. The overall lighter and brighter sound-making undermined the darker tone of these tracks for me.

I haven’t heard Murder for decades.

Andy on 15/09/2024(UTC)
perspexorange  
#83 Posted : 15 September 2024 02:16:33(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3600 time(s) in 2320 post(s)
I really wish the band would revisit Movement tracks in a live environment.

I love every track on the album now, although it took me a long time to really get to like it.
I'd agree that Chosen Time is the best of the bunch and the one I would most love to see them resurrect live.

As for Everything's Gone Green, I never miss an opportunity to say that this is the track I most want to return to the setlist.

The thing about the Movement tracks is that they didn't really move the band forward (pardon the pun).
EGG, however, was the building blocks of everything that came afterwards. They really need to start acknowledging its importance.

Besides, it always sounds awesome live.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Jul on 15/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 15/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 17/09/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#84 Posted : 15 September 2024 09:23:55(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I really wish the band would revisit Movement tracks in a live environment.

I love every track on the album now, although it took me a long time to really get to like it.
I'd agree that Chosen Time is the best of the bunch and the one I would most love to see them resurrect live.

As for Everything's Gone Green, I never miss an opportunity to say that this is the track I most want to return to the setlist.

The thing about the Movement tracks is that they didn't really move the band forward (pardon the pun).
EGG, however, was the building blocks of everything that came afterwards. They really need to start acknowledging its importance.

Besides, it always sounds awesome live.

The "Street Hassle" version of "Temptation" they're been playing has had a long life. It's time for it to be replaced with an "Everything's Gone Green"/"Temptation" medley.

The Japanese One  
#85 Posted : 16 September 2024 18:39:12(UTC)
The Japanese One

Chosen Time is a good tune — lyrics aside, it sounds to my ears like a cousin to C&W in its sense of urgency. However, Senses, The Him and Doubts Even Here compare favorably or even better IMHO. The last two are my faves on Movement.

I sometimes feel album opener Dreams Never End doesn’t jell well with the remainder of the songs for its brightness and generally positive vibe. Might be more fitting on PC&L?

The only time I heard EGG live was in Tokyo, January 28th, 1987, and it remains the song’s only live exposure in Japan to this day. Third song on the set and not an extended, grand performance AFAIR.
Andy on 16/09/2024(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#86 Posted : 17 September 2024 23:01:06(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 365 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Bit late to this party…

1998 Flew to the UK for the Phoenix Festival. It was cancelled. Does that count? Oh well
2002-01-20 Gold Coast AU - Big Day Out
2002-01-23 Sydney AU - Hordern Pavilion
2012-03-03 Brisbane AU - Future Music Festival
2016-06-04 Sydney AU - Opera House / Vivid
2016-06-05 Sydney AU - Opera House / Vivid
2020-03-11 Sydney AU - Hordern Pavilion

Hooky / Light

2010-09-27 Brisbane AU - The Tivoli
2015-02-18 Brisbane AU - The Tivoli
2017-10-08 Brisbane AU - The Tivoli
2022-11-25 Brisbane AU - The Tivoli
2024-05-22 Brisbane AU - The Tivoli

My only regret is not catching them on their 1987 Brotherhood tour through the colony. I’m kicking my 17yo self as we speak.
thanks 3 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
Andy on 17/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 18/09/2024(UTC), prog99 on 18/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#87 Posted : 18 September 2024 02:08:33(UTC)
The Japanese One

Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post

Bit late to this party…

Better late than never. Thanks Dennis.

There’s no deadline for the CV submission. Anyone else?