logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
The Japanese One  
#51 Posted : 03 September 2024 02:51:05(UTC)
The Japanese One

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lazlo 2 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
Here’s my list of gigs, 51 might seem a lot, probably a good number to stop on, only just realised that! but it’s nothing compared to Alex, Kev, John and Rog, the guys I used to go with, theirs will be well over 100, I’d have thought.

Are these people forum members here and posting under monikers? Or did they stop going to gigs and leave fandom?

Alex probably is a member, if there are any Vikings members here, I would have thought that they would know him, I doubt that the other 3 are members though. They still go to gigs, I know Kev went to Wythenshawe last week, not seen the other 2 in quite a while.

Hi thanks.

Your post also reminds me of Dec Hickey and the “Bedford New Order Clan”. I wonder how many of them are still around and active as fans.

I met Dec in 2017 and had a chat at a pub. He told me that he had seen New Order live around 100 times, many of which in their heyday through the 80s. Didn’t seem to bother about catching their show any more, though.

thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Jul on 04/09/2024(UTC)
tapebias  
#52 Posted : 03 September 2024 09:43:25(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post

I miss the gigs where the equipment failed and Barney made up different lyrics!

I taped most of the gigs from Blackburn 85 up to 89 with some successful results and some mediocre!
23. London Finsbury Park, June 6, 1987

Did you use to trade live tapes? I've got the Finsbury Park tape and someone saying "this is a Lazlo production"

Yes, that’ll be one of mine!

Cheers! What's your best and or/favourite tape?
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Like No Other on 03/09/2024(UTC)
lazlo 2  
#53 Posted : 03 September 2024 10:02:42(UTC)
lazlo 2

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 7 post(s)

I miss the gigs where the equipment failed and Barney made up different lyrics!

I taped most of the gigs from Blackburn 85 up to 89 with some successful results and some mediocre!
23. London Finsbury Park, June 6, 1987

Did you use to trade live tapes? I've got the Finsbury Park tape and someone saying "this is a Lazlo production"

Yes, that’ll be one of mine!

Cheers! What's your best and or/favourite tape?

Probably the one I listen to the most, not one of my recordings, Mcr Hacienda 20/7/1983, epic version of Thieves Like Us.
thanks 5 users thanked lazlo 2 for this useful post.
tapebias on 03/09/2024(UTC), prog99 on 03/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 03/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 03/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 04/09/2024(UTC)
Daws  
#54 Posted : 04 September 2024 08:07:17(UTC)
Daws

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Great post with all the stories from gigs far and wide, old and recent. Been lucky enough to have seen them 44 times since Brixton Academy in 1983 up to Leeds Arena last year. I started out hitch-hiking to gigs as a teenager and sleeping on railway station benches and ended up flying abroad and staying in over-priced hotels, funny ol' world. Here are some selected high and lowlights;

Best gig – Bradford Caesars 1984
Worst gig – London O2 2021
Most raucous atmosphere – Sheffield Roxy 1987 (those that were there will know)
Best post-Hooky gig – Manchester MIF 2017
Most packed – London Heaven 1984
Weirdest incident – Slim The Roadie coming on stage to sing Love Reaction / Blue Monday, Brixton Academy 1983 (or the palm trees at Birmingham Tower Ballroom or the mass “Happy Birthday” to Gillian at Leeds Tiffanys!?)
Celebrity spot – Arthur Baker, Bad Lieutenant London Heaven 2009
Best JD song – Warsaw, London Queen Elizabeth Hall 2005
Worst JD song – LWTUA during the Barney “c’mon” years
thanks 7 users thanked Daws for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 04/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 04/09/2024(UTC), prog99 on 04/09/2024(UTC), Fotz on 04/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 04/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 05/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#55 Posted : 04 September 2024 08:22:23(UTC)
The Japanese One

Originally Posted by: Daws Go to Quoted Post
Worst JD song – LWTUA during the Barney “c’mon” years

Yeah, it’s not an anthem is it?

thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Anne Ballard on 06/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#56 Posted : 06 September 2024 12:32:09(UTC)
The Japanese One

Is the well drying up now? Some folks here may have been to their gigs so many times that they can’t remember them all, dates, places, venues, whatever. Incomplete lists would do if at all possible.

In the meantime, from my recollection —

First time I saw New Order live, Koseinenkin Kaikan, Osaka, May 4, 1985, the main set closer was the then unreleased As It Is When It Was. As he finished all the singing part, Barney turned to the drums, gripping the neck of the Stratocaster with one hand, tossed it against the cymbals in a vicious manner, kicked the guitar body with his knee, and then walked off sulkily. We were gobsmacked. Apparently he didn’t like something.
The other members followed, and while Talking Heads’ Burning Down The House was played through the PA, we kept clapping hands for an encore in a dampened mood. After a rather long pause, they returned to the stage and launched into Temptation. Barney, saying nothing other than singing, left the stage without waiting for the end of the song.

The floor of the 2,400 seater was about 85% full, but when they came back to the same venue two years after, I recognized it was less than half full to say the most. I wondered if the group’s non-interacting, non-committal attitude to the audience on their first visit may have resulted in a poor draw the second time around.

Despite the meagre attendance, Osaka 1987 was a hot show and one of the most memorable for me like I posted upthread. Temperamental artists they were back then. And that was New Order for you.

Edited by user 06 September 2024 15:44:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Anne Ballard on 06/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 06/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 06/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#57 Posted : 06 September 2024 15:03:28(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3688 time(s) in 2646 post(s)
Trying to recall about the Sheffield Roxy gig 8th June 1987. The nightclub venue was above a multi storey car park or something? Once i'd queued and got in i vaguely recall some fans saying all 4 members of New Order had walked past the queue outside and even stopped to chat and sign autographs. I never saw them myself but who knows.

Recall Beastie Boys' 'No Sleep Til Brooklyn ( i think, was that track released before June 87?) getting played over the PA half hour or so before and a load of Northern lads much cooler and better dancers than me throwing some admirable moves. There was then a support band with a girl singing but i've long forgotten their name.

I recall the Roxy nightclub had a balcony on three sides overlooking the stage but i took a position downstairs towards the back of the dancefloor. Guess i must have downed a few pints even before the start. NO came on and TPK was the first song if i recall correctly ( damn i've actually got the boot cassette somewhere still in my attic). Memory very vague now, so many years on but fuzzy memory of the dancefloor being utter madness, a whole moshpit. BLT and Barney doing that weird thing with his right arm he often did around that era. I remember Do The Ostrich at the end (encore?) and it pummeling on, seemingly forever and me asking people what the fuck is this song? At the end i seem to recall Gillian was the last to leave the stage and i and many others repeatedly shouting her name. Did she give us a wave finally as she eventually left? Possibly.Stumbled out into the Sheffiled June night, dazed but elated. I wandered towards Sheffield train station but knew i'd missed the last train.

I recall slumping down near the station thinking, fuck, i've got hours now to wait til the first train in the morning. But a short while later 3 or 4 New Order fans came along. They recognised my face from the moshpit and we got talking. They'd missed their last train too but they didn't live so far away, Chesterfield, about 12 miles away.We decided, instead of trying to sleep outside Sheffield station, to walk the 12 miles to Chesterfield. What? !! Yeah, i know. But it was a better option. I could get breakfast at one of the lads' house then catch the train from Chesterfield back to the Midlands in the morning. So that's what we did. Took us hours but it went ok as we exchanged stories and opinions on New Order, life and the universe. Finally got to this lad's place in Chesterfield around dawn, downed a few brews and then thanked & bade my farewells and set off to Chesterfield train station and got a train home. I didn't keep in contact with those 3 (4?) fans, unfortunately and never saw them again at a gig. If any of them reading this then a big hello if yer remember me.
thanks 4 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 06/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 06/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 07/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC)
tapebias  
#58 Posted : 06 September 2024 16:12:43(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Trying to recall about the Sheffield Roxy gig 8th June 1987. Finally got to this lad's place in Chesterfield around dawn, downed a few brews and then thanked & bade my farewells and set off to Chesterfield train station and got a train home. I didn't keep in contact with those 3 (4?) fans, unfortunately and never saw them again at a gig. If any of them reading this then a big hello if yer remember me.

Great stuff. On a similar Sheffield note, we went to the City Hall 1986, Anti-Apartheid concert. First up, our Salford/Macc heroes and if I remember, the most out of tune synths in STYT opener. Played a short set then Billy Bragg next then the London Gospel Choir. So after 3 hrs of music I thought it a good idea to go downstairs to the Ballroom to watch Cabaret Voltaire at their full industrial peak. Probably lasted an hour then remembered we had the van and were a long way from home so drove 10 miles outside Sheff and parked on a grassy knoll. It rained overnight so our spot was swamped and had to flag down a tractor in the morning to tow us out, so thanks to the Yorkshire farmer - they're not all bad. lol.

thanks 5 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 06/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 06/09/2024(UTC), Fotz on 07/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#59 Posted : 07 September 2024 02:10:24(UTC)
Fotz

Other random gig memories. I went with my brother and a mate to Reading 98. Just drove down and attended the Sunday of that year's festival. This was many years before it became the Reading and Leeds festival it is these days that is frequented by school leavers celebrating their exam results.I'd been to New Order at Reading 93 , again just for the Sunday, but we had tickets that we could use for the Sunday at 98 because we were allowed entry with the ticket for the cancelled Phoenix festival near Stratford Upon Avon. It was a dissapointment the previous month's Phoenix fest was cancelled as it wasn't far from where we lived.

Anyway. The Reading festival site is probably the worst location of all festivals i've ever been to. It's basically in the middle of an industrial estate.

On the afternoon there were a LOT of New Order fans in Recycle tees. At that time it really did seem as though the Recycle CD singles box set would happen. Alas, it never did, at least not in that form.

I recall Monaco performing in the afternoon but they didn't do much for me or my brother and mate either. "They're like a crap New Order reserve side" my brother remarked. Ouch.

Excitement built throughout the late afternoon and into early evening.Many trips to the bar for overpriced crap lager but we were all getting into the mood.In one of the Marquees I recall us watching Theaudience, then fronted by a very young Sophie Ellix Bextor! One or two tunes i did quite like.

New Order finally appeared on the main stage around ... well i don't recall what time now but it was gone sunset so it can't have been too early. Garbage were actually the headliners after NO so they must have played really quite late.

I remember Barney's "Hello! We're New Order, you're the audience, let's rock the fucking house!" then storming into Regret.That field went crazy right from the off. We were quite a way back but i think it was the second or third song, Ceremony, i decided fuck this and i said to my brother and mate see yer later i'm getting down the front and somehow managed to get through the crowd to to near stage front.I think the thing with New Order at Reading 98 is it was a release of pent up frustration of waiting for 5 long years of no new music or gigs from the band and all the will they/won't they ever get back together or perform live again. We'd had to tolerate all things Britpop throughout the mid 90s.

The Joy Divvision songs in the set like Isolation and Heart & Soul sounded fantastic, partly because they'd been reworked and partly because they were the first time i think i'd seen New Order play them. True Faith was a revelation because it was also the first time i'd witnessed live the version based on the Perfecto Mix. Think the same with BLT? First time live version based more on the Pettibone 12" remix? Was it the July 98 Manc Apollo gig ( which i hadn't attended or even been aware of til after the event) and Reading 98 the first times they'd done those live versions of the remixes? Guess it must have been. Temptation was its colossal juggernaut of a live version as always. Then i think it was during first song of the encore, Blue Monday, that some kind of big cloaked box was manoeuvred onto stage or was it already there at start of encore? Not sure.From where i was near the front during Blue Monday i could see Gillian was giggling and looking at the box, i figured someone was in there fooling around. I think i'd read a rumour or heard, can't recall now that World In Motion was going to get played live for the first time. Before the cloak dropped from the big mysterious box i think i'd figured out it would be Keith Allen and he'd be guesting on WIM. Sure enough it turned out i was correct. Keith Allen emerged from the box and World In Motion began.Allen gurning and goofing around the stage and the crowd fairly delirious by this point. And then it was all over. Think i spotted Tony Wilson side of stage right at the end.

What a night, it was a million times more ecstatic than i've put in words there. My descriptive capabilities in the written word pale in comparison to what that night was actually like seeing New Order live again after those 5 long 90s years.

Somehow, afterwards i found my brother and mate. We got a last pint or two and tried watching headliners Garbage for a while but i just couldn't get into them. Strange, because i did actually like Garbage and Shirley Manson around that era, had bought a couple of their albums. But we wandered off after a few songs.

Finally we headed back to my car sometime early hours to try get some sleep. After an hour or two though we awoke to a steward banging on the windows. He was yelling that we had to get out of the car and run immediately. There was a vast, sprawling haystack near the car park and it had caught fire.We ended up wandering around the festival site, freezing cold til dawn when the haystack fire was eventually put out and made safe. We did actually then manage to get some sleep finally in the car before hitting the road for the journey home around midday.

That night, back at home, flicking through MTV, they aired a video clip of the performance of True Faith from the night before.So a nice end to the weekend. I managed to record a repeat of the clip the, i think, next night.

I did see New Order again later that year, the MEN Arena show just after Christmas but it was nowhere near the dizzy, ecstatic heights of that Reading festival night.

Andy on 07/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 07/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Sauce  
#60 Posted : 07 September 2024 09:22:02(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Lots of great stuff on this thread! Here’s mine:

Reading 1993
Reading 1998
Alexandra Palace 1998
Brixton Academy 2001
Move Old Trafford 2002
Hyde Park 2005
Brixton Academy 2005
Bournemouth 2006
Wembley Arena 2006
Brixton Academy 2012
Brixton Academy 2015
Alexandra Palace 2018
Victorious Portsmouth 2019
Wythenshawe Park 2024

Only side projects were like many Monaco Reading 1998 😀 and Peter Hook & The Light Sub 89 Reading 2013.
thanks 4 users thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Andy on 07/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 07/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 07/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#61 Posted : 07 September 2024 13:33:54(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3169 time(s) in 2185 post(s)
...continued.

12. 2016-3-19 Los Angeles (Shrine Auditorium) I was very excited for this gig as it was my first since the release of Music Complete (their only U.S.appearance in 2015 had been at the Day for Night Fest in Texas). I was hoping for a reenergized set with the inclusion of more new tracks. They indeed performed 6 tracks from their new (-ish by this point) album, which was generous. But I'd already seen them do "Singularity" and "Plastic" in 2014. "Academic" and "Restless" remain great tracks, and I was delighted to hear them live, but they are never going to be received as strongly live as some of the classics they supplanted. While I'm totally fine with that, I could see how people that hadn't been to previous gigs would be disappointed by them not playing tracks x, y or z. Also new for me were "Tutti Frutti" and "People on the High Line", the pleasure of seeing them play something new overshadowing my discomfort with so many prerecording vocals wafting out of the P.A. (the opinion on this has definitely shifted over the years). But alas, the structure of the set (a bit mix-n-match towords the early part with electro bangers always at the end of the main set and a JD encore) remained unchanged. But "Singularity" and "Temptation" were certainly bookends that are tough to beat. I remember it was very enjoyable at the time, but in retrospect, these static setlists make the gigs less memorable as there isn't enough variety to distinguish them from each other.

DJ Whitney Fierce and Run, Run, Run were the support but I believe I only saw a bit of the latter as longtime girlfriend Theresa and I were mingling in the enormous lobby area (The Shrine is where many of the Gala events in the U.S. are held such as the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, etc). I distinctly recall running into FAC51 (local Steve and his wife Kelly) and the venerable JG. Norbert was possibly also looming around. Theresa had been less enthusiastic about the 5 hour drive down to L.A. for the gig with a return trip the following day to accomodate our work schedules. I was up to meet with the Vikings after the gig, but she wasn't, and I opted instead to accompany my grumpy gal back to our hotel. We stayed together another 3+ years, but the drifting apart had already begun. Anyhoo!: LosAngelesSetlistLosAngelesSetlist

13. 2017.4.21 Berkeley (Greek Theatre) Thirty years on from my first New Order gig at this very same venue, and I was back. The atmosphere of the Greek was still fantastic. Two new song experiences for me were "Superheated" and a powerful version of "Decades" (Theresa even commented on the emotional impact of Joy Division track afterwards, not being as familiar with JD's work as NO). I say afterwards because I went down towards the front without her and found a spot next to Viking, Dr. NO (aka Rocky) and adjacent to Norbert. Rocky and I agreed that we shouldn't try to move further towards the middle as it would introduce the possibility of being behind the big man, which would be suboptimal. However, this was my first expericence being near the enthusiastic Doctor. When the songs started kicking in, his passion was infectious, but (and I hope he's not reading this because I've mentioned it to him several times) he's essentially a one man moshpit, where no neighboring people's toes are safe. While it's getting redundant to mention the setlist structure, on a positive note, 17-18 songs per set is much more than you'd get in the old days. And I hadn't felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth. BerkeleySetlist

14. 2017.9.18 Hollywood (Hollywood Bowl) A few months later in 2017 and 24 years after seeing the soul destroying nadir of New Order concerts here 1993, I was back in one of the most beautiful venues in California (either this or the Santa Barbara Bowl ranks tops for me). I traveled to this gig alone. Between the 5 hour drive, and the fact Theresa doesn't like Los Angeles (despite the size of the city, she's one of the few people I've met that have lived and was actually born there), I decided not to bother convincing her to go with me. Thankfully, the MIF gigs were still at this point having an influence on setlists. I was thrilled to hear "Disorder" early in the set, with "Ultraviolence" following it. I appreciated that they weren't just phoning it in with the hits for the L.A. crowd. Even a track from the usually ignored Technique appeared with the "Bizarre Love Triangle" segue into "Vanishing Point". Another vivid highlight was the enormous roar of the crowd once they recognized the intro to "Sub-Culture". It was epic. This was probably my favourite concert (so far?) of the current lineup and 19 tracks was quite generous. Also, Goldfrapp were the support. Great concert and experience all around. I still owe FAC51 a meal after being treated to tacos by him before the gig. HollywoodSetlist

15. 2018.9.29 Long Beach (Music Tastes Good Festival on the Marina Green) An interesting festival purporting to blend the best of music and food. And the Long Beach coastline is a lovely destination (the Queen Mary was just across the harbour). The decent lineup also featured another favourite group of mine, The Church, performing their 1988 album Starfish. Theresa was even up for it. It was, however, our last New Order gig together (we broke up in 2019 after over 20 years together). The group did not disappoint. They were on top form but unfortunately only had time to perform an 11 song set. Leave 'em wanting more, I guess. LongBeachSetlist

I believe they only came to the U.S. once the following year, for one gig on the east coast (Miami, Florida), discounting the Tibet House appearance. They also returned to Miami for a 4 gig residence in early 2020 that I was so very close to booking. I still regret not going considering the wait until the next opportunity.

tbc...

Edited by user 11 September 2024 22:24:02(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 5 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Like No Other on 07/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 07/09/2024(UTC), Fotz on 08/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#62 Posted : 08 September 2024 05:33:56(UTC)
Fotz

^Great stuff, Andy.

Another favourite of mine was Brixton Academy 10th November 2005. No great stories about getting to and home from the gig but it was simply just a bloody great night.From Alan Wise's "Ladies and Gentlemen i give you... The Four Tops!" intro to the very end and Barney's "Joy Division New Order Forever! Get that tattooed on yer arse!" . A rainy, November night in London town but a LOT of fun down the front in the moshpit. Interestingly, or at least to me was that there was quite a young contingent down at the front joining in with the moshpit madness. Not just 30-40 something veteran fans but 18 year old lads and lasses getting really into the craziness.

Edited by user 08 September 2024 05:36:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jul on 08/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 08/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 08/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 08/09/2024(UTC)
Debaser  
#63 Posted : 08 September 2024 06:47:30(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3087 time(s) in 2108 post(s)
I was at this (amongst some others that have been listed already). Only two songs. Does it count? No one else has mentioned it. It was 2005, at Ally Pally - although it's barely recognisable.

We also got Eurythmics doing Sweet Dreams - I had always wanted to see Eurythmics live but it had never happened. Apart from this. I don't think they've played anywhere or done anything together since.

Original line up of Back Sabbath did a couple as well, i think.

In terms of rare gigs, I was also at the John Peel tribute gig at Queen Elizabeth Hall in the same year.
thanks 6 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 08/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 08/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 09/09/2024(UTC), Rorschach on 15/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#64 Posted : 08 September 2024 07:05:17(UTC)
Fotz

Wow, cool you made it to that UK Music Hall Of Fame thing, D. And the John Peel gig.

I've never made it to any rare gig, i guess.

At that Hall of Fame thing, i remember that the "Go on Hooky!" from someone in the audience just before Hooky's " Fuck me, i'm famous" was actually a guy who used to post on the old NOOL forum. Recall a bit about it on the board afterwards. Can't remember the guy's name , except that he was from Stoke.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 08/09/2024(UTC), Debaser on 09/09/2024(UTC)
The Shadow  
#65 Posted : 08 September 2024 12:05:32(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 572 time(s) in 412 post(s)
Great idea for a topic some serious hardcore fans out there.

Can’t remember exact dates

1989 NEC Birmingham
2001 Manchester Acpollo
2005 London Hyde park
2006 Blackpool empress ball room
2011 London Troxy
2012 Birmingham The Ballroom
2013 Jodrell Bank
2015 Liverpool Olympia
2015 Manchester Warehouse
2016 Manchester Castlefield bowl
2017 Manchester MIF Granada
2018 London Alexandra palace
2019 Bristol harbour side
2021 Manchester Heston Park
2021 London 02
2023 Denmark Copenhagen Royal Arena
2024 Cardiff CANCELLED Gig.

Other new order related

1990 Revenge - Derby Dial

2009 Bad Lieutenant - Manchester The Ritz
2010 Bad Lieutenant - Sheffield The Leadmill

2010 Peter Hook Derby Assembly rooms with Howard Marks

Peter Hook and the light - Joy Division

Manchester Factory club
Manchester The Lowry
Nottingham - Rescue Rooms
Sheffield The forum
Buxton Opera house

The light doing new order Movement and PC&L
Manchester Cathedral
Nottingham rescue rooms
Buxton Opera house

The light doing lowlife brotherhood
Manchester The Ritz
Derby The Venue

The light doing substance
Manchester The Apollo
Nottingham Rock City

The light doing Technique and Republic
Manchester Albert Hall

The light doing PC&L and JD closer
Manchester Albert hall

Also seen t(e light support the Jesus and Mary Chain / Echo and the Bunneymen Harbourside Bristol

Been to Bernard sumner book signing

Never saw Electronic or Monaco OR The Other Two and way to young for JD.

Best gigs hard to choose. For me best gigs are a mixture of the rest of the night, who ur with, how smashed ur etc etc.
Best gig for being nicely smashed and seeing NO reform with get ready Manchester in 2001. I was gutted I missed the 98 shows so this made up for it. Very raucous crowd, well it was where I was anyway.

Blackpool 2006 I / we who went had an inkling this may be the last time as rumours of the band n9t getting on. Put in an electrifying performance and Blackpool really celebrated New order being in town.

Post hooky Troxy 2011- never thought NO would get back together all be it without hooky. Never thought I hear my favourite songs again, really thought 2007 breakup was it. Great night to see them again

Jodrell Bank in 2013 as went with wife and then young daughter on a beautiful sunny day. Really special. As was the MIF in 2017. They have become a bit too predictable in recent times and last time on fire for me was Alexandra place in2018. Although it was great to see them in another country when I went to Denmark.

neatly forgot 2015 Liverpool hearing new songs again that could stand up next to their classic back catalogue

Worse gig is easy 2021 London O2 shit venue and atmosphere.

Really enjoyed BL in Sheffield as not very packed and you could wander to the front, even a quick chat and handshake with Bernard.

Seeing Revenge in Derby 1990. Hardly anyone there. Got to watch England semi final match with Hooky. Chatted with him. All too much for a then 17 year old. Hard to comprehend at the time. New order were number 1 and about 20 people watching Revenge and got meet one of my heroes.

The light many great gigs, favourite being both Buxton gigs and hearing seldom played Brotherhood songs in Manchester was special. Also seeing 2 of the best albums ever side by side; PC&L with closer in the wonderful Albert Hall in Manchester.

So many great memetories shared with some of my best friends, wife and daughter. Priceless memories.

Edited by user 08 September 2024 13:04:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Like No Other on 08/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 08/09/2024(UTC), Fotz on 08/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 08/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 08/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 09/09/2024(UTC), Rorschach on 15/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#66 Posted : 08 September 2024 18:28:58(UTC)
Fotz

^ Great post, Shadow.

You listed the Hooky with Howard Marks thing at Derby Asssembly , 2010. Reminded me i did attend one of those . Some venue in Birmingham i can't even remember the name of. April 2010 i think, guess it must have been same tour. Hooky and Marks chatting on stage for a couple hours. Can't even recall they talked about. At the end Hooky strapped on his bass and they did that track with Marks doing his spoken word . Can't recall the name of that either! There was a selection of Hook and/ or Hacienda memorabilia to view also.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Jul on 09/09/2024(UTC), The Shadow on 09/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 09/09/2024(UTC)
Daws  
#67 Posted : 09 September 2024 02:15:18(UTC)
Daws

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Re Hooky / Howard Marks, I saw them at Norwich University in 2010. The HM track was Dark Star and Hooky also did a solo rendition of Elegia and The Happy One.

As for rare gigs, I went to the recording of the Channel 4 programme, Big World Cafe, at Brixton Academy, Feb 1989. The venue had been transformed into a TV studio with a couple of other mini stage sets (though NO played on the main stage), bit like the Later With Jools Holland format. The Academy itself was unrecognisable from its usual layout and you couldn't walk or gather in the usual places due to the cameras etc.

Apart from G-Mex in December 1988 they hadn’t played the UK since Wembley Arena in December 1987 and they had only done a couple of French dates since the album came out in January so we were all a bit starved. As well as the live debuts of Round and Round and Run, they did Dream Attack and Vanishing Point.

Also featured was Cleveland Watkiss, Diamanda Galas and Edward II & the Red Hot Polkas (no, me neither).
thanks 6 users thanked Daws for this useful post.
Like No Other on 09/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 09/09/2024(UTC), Fotz on 09/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 09/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 09/09/2024(UTC), lazlo 2 on 09/09/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#68 Posted : 09 September 2024 09:08:02(UTC)
Fotz

^Ah ok, Daws. Interesting to get a bit of background on that Big World Cafe appearance. Thanks.
Col72  
#69 Posted : 09 September 2024 14:13:57(UTC)
Col72

Man

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 63 post(s)
First ever gig was Electronic, I remember going for the tickets in Grouchos in Dundee

Electronic
1. Glasgow Barrowlands 12.9.91

First NewOrder gig was late December in 1998. Hearing 'Love will tear us apart' for the first time was fantastic

NewOrder
1. Manchester ENA 29.12.98
2. Glasgow barrowlands 7.10.01
3. Manchester Carling Apollo 14.11.05
4. Glasgow Carling Academy 18.10.06
5. Glasgow Carling Academy 19.10.06
6. Glasgow O2 Academy 5.5.12
7. Edinburgh Usher Hall 6.5.12
8. Glasgow O2 Academy 19.11.15
9. Manchester Mif 15.7.17
10. Glasgow OVO 5.10.23

I've also seen Bad Lieutenant in Glasgow and Hooky in Dundee...

Edited by user 09 September 2024 15:12:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

There's no sense in telling me, the wisdom of a fool wont set you free
thanks 4 users thanked Col72 for this useful post.
lazlo 2 on 09/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 09/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 09/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 09/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#70 Posted : 09 September 2024 15:23:42(UTC)
The Japanese One

Col72 —

How was your experience of Manchester Evening News Arena ‘98 as an event?
Col72  
#71 Posted : 10 September 2024 12:52:39(UTC)
Col72

Man

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Col72 —

Hello
From what I can remember, it was decent. It was my first NewOrder concert though so it could have been terrible and I'd have thought it would have been great !

I think they had to start one song twice though as they'd made a bit of a meal of it !

There were bands & djs on before and after NewOrder but I didn't stay for those..

Good times...

Edited by user 10 September 2024 12:53:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

There's no sense in telling me, the wisdom of a fool wont set you free
thanks 2 users thanked Col72 for this useful post.
The Japanese One on 10/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 11/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#72 Posted : 10 September 2024 17:40:32(UTC)
The Japanese One

Originally Posted by: Col72 Go to Quoted Post
Col72 —

Hello
From what I can remember, it was decent. It was my first NewOrder concert though so it could have been terrible and I'd have thought it would have been great !

I think they had to start one song twice though as they'd made a bit of a meal of it !

There were bands & djs on before and after NewOrder but I didn't stay for those..

Good times...

Hi, thank you for the comment.

I asked you this since a few people on this thread recollect they were rather unimpressed by the all night event.
However, as you say, New Order’s set in itself was decent, at least. I felt their show was great that night and that’s how I remember, has stayed that way in me after all these years.

What matters is, the 1998 shows were their first in five years since 1993, only four in all, and so far the last occasions the group was together onstage in its original lineup including Hooky and Gillian. The MEN Arena show was one of them and it was the only chance for you to catch the old order in motion. After these, they entered a hiatus again for another three years, and when they reconvened in 2001 sans Gillian with additional players and embarked on a tour, things changed and have never been the same since then.

FYI the number they flubbed the intro for and started all over again is Guilty Partner, an obscure track off Technique and it was the live debut. They delivered it a second time two days after at Ally Pally on New Year’s Eve and shelved it thereafter. Another bonus point.

Good times? Maybe. Given the foul relationship between Barney and Hooky in the 21st century, perhaps we will never see the classic lineup again. Oh wait, see what happened to the Gallagher brothers. You never know…
thanks 2 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Col72 on 11/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 11/09/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#73 Posted : 12 September 2024 01:13:04(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3169 time(s) in 2185 post(s)
...continued

16. 2022.10.7 Hollywood (Hollywood Bowl) After about a year's delay, the much anticipated Unity Tour, co-headlining with Pet Shop Boys kicked off in Canada September of 2022. The tour itinerary ended up getting shuffled a bit with the post-pandemic rescheduling. I opted to go to all three of the dates in California, with the cherished venue of the Hollywood Bowl being the finale. The reshuffle instead put the two Hollywood dates before the San Francisco date. This was a little disappointing because in S.F. they were playing at a modern basketball arena that merely doubles as a concert venue. Not much ambience. But regardless of that detail, I was pumped to finally be seeing New Order for the first time in four years, at a venue I adore. As in 2017, I was again able to book a room at the nearby BLVD Hotel on Highland. Pro-tip for all of you attending gigs at the Bowl: It's within walking distance of the the venue (so no worries with traffic or parking fees). And if you walk in the opposite direction, you're equidistant from the glamour and grime of Hollywood and Sunset boulevards (and probably only about a 20 minute walk to Amoeba Music on Hollywood Blvd.). I believe I mentioned listening to the soundcheck in the Unity Tour thread, so won't bother repeating that aspect here.

As for the gig, Paul Oakenfold kicked off the festivities. His set was decent but it wasn't particularly adventurous. Pet Shop Boys were up next, and were fantastic. They had choreographed and engineered their set very well. So well, apparently, they didn't bother to deviate from it for the following gigs (even the between song banter). PSB are definitely a one and done tour proposition. Of course their approach is that of a show more than a gig. And it works very well for them. The sound quality was good but the volume of the gig seemed a little muted to me. But I'd not been to an amphitheatre gig in some time, so just accepted it. New Order were the headliner and threw a bit of a curveball with their intro: Instead of the standard "Das Rheingold: Vorspiel" Olympic diver footage, we were treated to the instrumental "Times Change" intro with footage of Hollywood and other Southern California locales. A nice touch. From there, "Regret", "Age of Consent", "Restless", etc. followed, pointing to business as usual, setwise. I hadn't had huge hopes, and they were limiting themselves to 14 tracks on account of the co-headling times, but they did seem energized and happy to be there. So the small victory of hearing something live for the first time (despite it being "Be a Rebel"), was enough to satisfy me. But after the still potent finale of "Temptation", the crowd and yours truly were indeed surprised by the band returning to encore with "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas the Papas. In retrospect even more surprising than playing "San Francisco" in San Fransisco in 2014, given the limited set time. They wrapped everything up with "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and everyone went home happy. This was a very successful partnership and I have distinct memories of the jubilant crowd lining up for more merch post-gig before filing out of the venue. HollywoodSetlist

17. 2022.10.8 Hollywood (Hollywood Bowl) Night two at the same venue. Aside from it being the Pet Shop Boys turn to headline, would things be different enough to give me value for money? Well, after Oakenfold's set (I swear he played a lot of the same tracks as the previous night. Seemed lazy for a D.J.), New Order was up. The "Das Rheingold: Vorspiel" intro showed that they were at least going to make an effort. In the end, three out of the fourteen tracks were swapped. Not only that, "Temptation" did not end the set on this night (highly unusual these days). Instead, they wrapped up the main set with "Decades". This was, of course, more surprising than the repeat encore of "California Dreamin'" and "LWTUA", but I was well and truly satisfied. Also of note, the sound quality was improved and much louded on this second night. Despite the Pet Shop Boys headlining with their repeated set, I would say this was the better of the two shows. HollywoodSetlist

18. 2022.10.12 San Francisco (Chase Center) With a few days inbetween my Unity Tour triple play, I did head home for a couple of days (I live in the Monterey Bay area between Los Angeles and San Francisco though much closer to the latter). The day started with another attempt to get a taste of the night's set by eavesdropping on the soundcheck near the rear doors of the venue. This wasn't as easy at Chase Center as it's an indoor arena, but I was happy to hear runthroughs of three tracks not played the previous night's gigs, so things were looking up. After returning to the venue for the gig, I did a quick recon to check out the night's vantage point from my seat, but otherwise ignored Oakenfold's set. Being a new venue, the seating was tight, with as many crammed into the space as possible. I would be sandwiched between some young Latinas on my right, and an elderly gentleman (complete with oxygen bottle!) on my left. So I opted to spend less time there and more walking around the venue checking out the enthusiastic crowd, many going all-in, fancy dresswise. There were even a couple of guys dressed as PSB circa 1993, Very bodysuits with the helmets to match. Impressive. I was also hoping to run into some friends, this being my third gig in a row attended solo. I was disappointed in myself for not making more of an effort to connect with others at the Hollywood gigs. I had run into some familiar faces before the gigs, but as there wasn't General Admission standing on offer, we couldn't hang out at the gig together. I later saw footage of them in the front row, Jeff (of New Order tribute band Substance) with Barney's mic thrust in his face, singing a portion of either "True Faith" or "Bizarre Love Triangle. Lucky bastards! In San Francisco, the only New Order diehard I recognized was Sam (TheHappyOne, for those well-versed in bootlegs), and it was nice to catch up with him. Despite the headline spot set to alternate each night, New Order were on next. The rescheduling of the tour had shuffled the dates, but the headliners remained as originally advertised for reasons unbeknownst to me. Setlist.com doesn't list the intro music, but my recollection is that it was once again "Das Rheingold: Vorspiel". As the previous two gigs, "Regret" kicked things off, with thirteen more tracks to follow. But fortunately, another 3 differing tracks were in the set that I'd not heard at either of the previous two gigs. So despite the shorter sets, I was treated to 20 different songs in all. On this occasion, these were a strong "Transmission" a shambolic "Superheated" and the lovely "Vanishing Point" segued from "Bizarre Love Triangle" ("BLT" having only been performed on its own at the other gigs I attended). As covered in the Unity Tour thread, they actually played 25 different songs throughout the tour. As far as the real Pet Shop Boys, somehow I think the indoor setting suited them better. The set was identical but I believe their stage setup and lighting were more impressive in the more defined space of the arena as opposed to the open air of the Bowl. SanFranciscoSetlist

tbc...
thanks 6 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
prog99 on 12/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 12/09/2024(UTC), The Japanese One on 12/09/2024(UTC), The Shadow on 12/09/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 12/09/2024(UTC), Rorschach on 15/09/2024(UTC)
The Shadow  
#74 Posted : 12 September 2024 11:03:50(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 572 time(s) in 412 post(s)
Andy - what a place to live Monterey Bay Area. Been on holiday there and loved the wildlife, sea otter what an amazing cute animal. Whale watching was great and the aquarium is something else. Everyday the temperature is always in the 20’s. Really enjoyed my time spent in this area.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Andy on 12/09/2024(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#75 Posted : 14 September 2024 02:34:53(UTC)
The Japanese One

I have never heard New Order play anything off Movement at the gigs I attended. In fact, the one and only time they delivered the material on the first album onstage in Japan is Denial at the Tokyo show, May 1st, 1985 — their Japanese debut.

By the time they released PC&L, the group seems to have grown weary of Movement. They may regard it as a product of the transitional period from JD to NO, perhaps.

I heard Revenge play Dreams Never End for the encore in Osaka, January 30th, 1991, though. And Hooky & The Light performed the whole Movement and PC&L albums at Manchester Cathedral on January 18th, 2013, which I attended.

Edited by user 14 September 2024 02:43:29(UTC)  | Reason: Misspelling

thanks 3 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Like No Other on 14/09/2024(UTC), Jul on 14/09/2024(UTC), Andy on 14/09/2024(UTC)