logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sauce  
#26 Posted : 25 August 2024 05:24:09(UTC)
Sauce

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Watched them for first time since Reading 93 without drinking live 200 miles away and couldn’t come up with any other reasonably economic plan so drove which I’m ashamed to say made it less enjoyable 😂 up until Plastic was really enjoying it. Not seem them since 2019 so two new songs was great. Even though others were stuff I’ve seen a few times like them all and fun guessing what’s next. After that knew what was coming although by that point was dreading car park and drive home. Sound was great and where I was stood people were loving it. So overall enjoyed it but second half needs freshening up.
thanks 1 user thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Andy on 25/08/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#27 Posted : 25 August 2024 08:04:28(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3166 time(s) in 2183 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sauce Go to Quoted Post
Watched them for first time since Reading 93 without drinking live 200 miles away and couldn’t come up with any other reasonably economic plan so drove which I’m ashamed to say made it less enjoyable 😂 up until Plastic was really enjoying it. Not seem them since 2019 so two new songs was great. Even though others were stuff I’ve seen a few times like them all and fun guessing what’s next. After that knew what was coming although by that point was dreading car park and drive home. Sound was great and where I was stood people were loving it. So overall enjoyed it but second half needs freshening up.

I agree that the clips I've heard sound quite good. I've seen them 6 times since the pandemic and am not surprised that they've not torn up the setlist and started over again. Opening up with "Academic" and throwing in "Nothing but a Fool" (one of my favourites) is relatively spicy these days. Until they come up with something as powerful as "Singularity", they've never going to win over either side of the There's No New Stuff or the Their New Stuff Sucks crowds (the lyrical theme of "Be a Rebel" is good, and obviously near to Bernard's heart, but the song wasn't really single material). Their "Transmission" cover is pretty good, but "Love Will Tear Us Apart" has become as perfunctory as "Blue Monday", I understand its inclusion, but wouldn't miss it. All four are better than their "Atmosphere", which doesn't carry the weight it should (I've not heard last night's rendition). At least "Decades"* and "Isolation" are two of their better Joy Division covers (they should also revisit "Disorder"), but four JD tracks is too many, in my opinion.

Edited by user 25 August 2024 08:14:25(UTC)  | Reason: *Setlist.fm initially listed Decades in the encore, not Atmosphere.

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Sauce on 25/08/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 25/08/2024(UTC)
Andy  
#28 Posted : 25 August 2024 08:07:27(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3166 time(s) in 2183 post(s)
A positive, if not particularly enthusastic review from ManchesterEveningNews.

Seems fair.
thanks 3 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Sauce on 25/08/2024(UTC), Fotz on 25/08/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 25/08/2024(UTC)
Sauce  
#29 Posted : 25 August 2024 08:46:25(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thanks Andy and yeh agreed. Was wondering about the size of the audience and was surprised as how big it was (as was Bernard based on one of his comments during the show).
thanks 2 users thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Like No Other on 25/08/2024(UTC), Andy on 26/08/2024(UTC)
lee  
#30 Posted : 25 August 2024 10:02:26(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 207 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sauce Go to Quoted Post

I agree that the clips I've heard sound quite good. I've seen them 6 times since the pandemic and am not surprised that they've not torn up the setlist and started over again. Opening up with "Academic" and throwing in "Nothing but a Fool" (one of my favourites) is relatively spicy these days. Until they come up with something as powerful as "Singularity", they've never going to win over either side of the There's No New Stuff or the Their New Stuff Sucks crowds (the lyrical theme of "Be a Rebel" is good, and obviously near to Bernard's heart, but the song wasn't really single material). Their "Transmission" cover is pretty good, but "Love Will Tear Us Apart" has become as perfunctory as "Blue Monday", I understand its inclusion, but wouldn't miss it. All four are better than their "Atmosphere", which doesn't carry the weight it should (I've not heard last night's rendition). At least "Decades"* and "Isolation" are two of their better Joy Division covers (they should also revisit "Disorder"), but four JD tracks is too many, in my opinion.

I was fine with them playing songs from music complete when they was promoting it and probably a couple of years after it...tbh i actually looked foward to hearing it as i thought it was a great album

But that moment has now passed...especially when playing to a crowd of that size which would have been made up with a high percentage of casual fans

How many people would of thought that kicking off a gig of that size with academic was a good idea...or throwing in nbaf?

I kind of wish i hadn't gone tbh...i hope its not the last time i see them as i don't want my memory of the last gig i see them (which surely is coming) to be a bit meh
thanks 3 users thanked lee for this useful post.
Sauce on 25/08/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 25/08/2024(UTC), Andy on 26/08/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#31 Posted : 25 August 2024 10:45:16(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3687 time(s) in 2645 post(s)
I didn't attend. Kind of glad to read they at least, finally, attempted Nothing But A Fool live nearly 9 years after Music Complete was released. I'm not in any rush to look up the clip on YouTube, however.

From what i read in that review , the weather held up and was a sunny afternoon in Wythenshawe Park. I would imagine it was a bit chilly by the time New Order finished around 11pm though.

No regrets that i didn't go. The days of regretting missing a gig by NO are for me long gone. Think the last time i felt i really missed a cracker was Portmeirion 2012, the Festival No.6 thing .Oh and maybe MIF 2017.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Sauce on 25/08/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 25/08/2024(UTC), Andy on 26/08/2024(UTC)