logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2024 09:38:14(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
He could probably just use that dormant twitter account of his (or the NO Twitter) to say this stuff. Just like other musicians do. But Bernard has decided that he's going to make a rare comment about the State Of The Nation, and it's going to get posted on the NO website.

When I saw the "message from Bernard", I thought it was going to be some bad personal news. But no, it's just a bit of a rant.
I suppose I could have posted this 'news' in the Social Media thread (that I started) but as Bernard has decided to make a big deal about this, let's give him his own thread on this occasion.

Whether "no Brexit" would definitely have meant "Rwanda wouldn't be happening", I'm not sure. The Tories might have found a way to make it happen anyway. But other than that, I have no argument with his comments. No doubt some people on Facebook will get annoyed with him though, like the time NO posted the True Faith/EU flag image.

thanks 6 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Like No Other on 24/04/2024(UTC), 50poundnote on 24/04/2024(UTC), perspexorange on 25/04/2024(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 26/04/2024(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2024(UTC), Jul on 27/04/2024(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2024 06:27:22(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3453 time(s) in 2251 post(s)
Crikey!

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's musicians thinking they should tell everyone who they should vote for and that one particular party is evil.

He probably makes some valid points (to be honest, I skim-read most of it during my 'eye-roll'), but I do not want to hear it.
Government politics is a complex area and can't be summed up in a few small paragraphs by someone who plays guitar in a pop band.

If he feels so strongly about it, by all means, take to Twitter. Just do it on your own account.
Don't post it to the band's webpage.

It just reminds of all those aging rock stars in the 80s making political statements every other week (didn't the Rolling Stones make a record about the US selling arms to Iran or something?).

My twopenneths worth, anyway.
Feel free to disagree.

Edited by user 25 April 2024 06:57:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 25/04/2024(UTC), Linus Solanki on 25/04/2024(UTC), Col72 on 25/04/2024(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 26/04/2024(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2024(UTC)
The Ruts  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2024 03:04:06(UTC)
The Ruts

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I don't have a problem with musicians airing their opinions, but I often find that said musicians are nowhere near as well informed as they claim to be.

Why isn't anyone talking about Brexit Bernard? Because the vote was nearly 10 years ago and Britain left the EU in 2020. Sure, you're entitled to keep making the argument that it was a mistake but, with the cost of living crisis and the Eurozone turning right wing, some would argue that it's not high on their list of priorities at the moment.
thanks 1 user thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2024(UTC)
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2024 07:19:40(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's musicians thinking they should tell everyone who they should vote for and that one particular party is evil.

I kinda sorta relate to this. Back when I was maybe 13 or 14 I remember Red Wedge telling people to vote Labour and it annoyed me a bit. Because 1) I was too young to vote and 2) I didn't think it was appropriate to tell people how to vote.
Having said that, the Tories have been APPALLING and are surely going to get slaughtered in the upcoming GE. They deserve all the grief that they get.

Government politics is a complex area

Some of it is, but the amount of time and money the Tories have spent on the Rwanda scheme is insane. Not to mention those cushy PPE contracts for their mates (anyone been keeping track of Tory, Michelle Mone's shenanigans?). That's not complex; they are clearly a bunch of corrupt numpties with hints of the far-right about them, and unfit to govern.

If he feels so strongly about it, by all means, take to Twitter. Just do it on your own account.
Don't post it to the band's webpage.

I did allude to a similar sentiment in my original post, however it is Bernard's band's website so we can't tell him what to do.

Originally Posted by: The Ruts Go to Quoted Post
I don't have a problem with musicians airing their opinions, but I often find that said musicians are nowhere near as well informed as they claim to be.

He mentions people with mental health issues who are affected. This is an area he has some experience with re Mr Curtis and of course the Parliament Panel.

Why isn't anyone talking about Brexit Bernard? Because the vote was nearly 10 years ago

Well Bernard does have kids and has previously spoken (in The New European) about his freedom of movement when NO toured Europe in the old days. He is concerned that today's young people may not have the same freedom of movement. Furtherore there are ongoing costs to the UK.

From 2022: Brexit costs Britain £173m every week, or £1m per hour

That's probably not something that should just be swept under the carpet.

the cost of living crisis

From less than a month ago:

I don't have a problem with Bernard being mostly right, I just think it might be better if he was putting this stuff on his own social media. I won't tell him what to do though.
I think it was the suckers who thought Brexit was gonna be good who got angry at the aforementioned True Faith/EU Flag thing.
I wonder if it's people who voted Tory/Brexit or both who are most annoyed by his latest post.

Incidentally the only positive I have found from Brexit is Duty Free at the airport (between UK & EU). I struggle to think of any others.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
The Ruts  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2024 09:19:11(UTC)
The Ruts

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

He mentions people with mental health issues who are affected. This is an area he has some experience with re Mr Curtis and of course the Parliament Panel.

Hence why I didn't refer to that angle.

thanks 1 user thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
tapebias  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2024 13:33:12(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 254 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Write some songs about it then if yr so bothered about it - break those creative chains and unleash your inner torment St. Bernard.
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/05/2024(UTC)