logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2024 07:08:47(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
‘TWISTED TENDERNESS’: HOW ELECTRONIC BOWED OUT ON A CREATIVE HIGH

https://www.thisisdig.com/featur...-electronic-album-story/
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 6 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
perspexorange on 17/04/2024(UTC), 50poundnote on 17/04/2024(UTC), Mr. Disco on 17/04/2024(UTC), Like No Other on 17/04/2024(UTC), Col72 on 17/04/2024(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/04/2024(UTC)
Sponsor
Like No Other  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2024 11:49:59(UTC)
Like No Other

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 41 post(s)
A vinyl reissue of TT and RTP would be very welcomed
thanks 3 users thanked Like No Other for this useful post.
Col72 on 17/04/2024(UTC), 50poundnote on 17/04/2024(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/04/2024(UTC)
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2024 04:26:06(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Electronic Reunion without Bernard - a few days ago at Hammersmith Apollo.

I guess Bowie was an appropriate cover choice as he played some famous gigs at Hammersmith Apollo/Odeon back in his Ziggy days. And of course the Pets worked with him on Hallo Spaceboy (how many songs did Bowie write about Space or with Space in the title??).
Yes these clips play (there should be 2 tweets below, you may have to wait a moment for them to embed).

Pet Shop Boys: Then and Now:
Speaking of the Pets, there was a long-ass serious program about/with PSB on BBC1 a couple of nights ago. You know it was serious because Alan Yentob was presenting it. Here's the link to the BBC website/iPlayer where you can watch it back if you're not geo-blocked. It's also getting another broadcast tomorrow, Friday at 22:30 on BBC4, for those who like to record/watch things in real time.

Lots of collaborators were mentioned, including a couple who have worked with NO - Stuart Price and Brandon Flowers. In fact we hear from Mr Price quite a lot. I don't think I've ever watched an interview with him before. Oh I guess Olly Aexander counts too, as Bernard remixed one of his Years And Years tracks. He's not my cup of tea, but...he's there.
Other collaborators mentioned include the aforementioned Bowie, Liza Minelli and Dusty Springfield.
Also Marc Almond, James Ford of SMD, Jake Shears and Rufus Wainwright. Even Bobby O gets a mention, Was there a single mention of Electronic though? Nope, nothing.
I mean even if Bernanrd and Johnny weren't available for interview they still could have got a mention! Liza Minelli and Bowie weren't available either...

Anyway if you want a 90 minute celebration of the Pets, with recent backstage/rehearsal footage, live footage, and Neil and Chris listening back to early cassettes to appraise their old demos - "sounds like some horses clodding by. What were we thinking there?" - then this might be the program for you.
thanks 5 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy on 18/04/2024(UTC), prog99 on 18/04/2024(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/04/2024(UTC), negative1 on 19/04/2024(UTC), Fotz on 24/04/2024(UTC)
Subvulture  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2024 12:00:09(UTC)
Subvulture

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
‘TWISTED TENDERNESS’: HOW ELECTRONIC BOWED OUT ON A CREATIVE HIGH

https://www.thisisdig.com/featur...-electronic-album-story/

For me, this album was significant a step down from the amazing four album run of Technique -> Electronic -> Republic -> Raise the Pressure (Vulture's Version).

TT has some tunes that I really enjoy--namely Make It Happen, Twisted Tenderness, Like No Other, Prodigal Son and Radiation--but it feels more on par with (and the first in a string of) records like Get Ready and WFTSC (and Lost Sirens).

thanks 1 user thanked Subvulture for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/04/2024(UTC)
tapebias  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2024 15:33:57(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 252 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Lots of collaborators were mentioned, including a couple who have worked with NO - Stuart Price and Brandon Flowers. In fact we hear from Mr Price quite a lot. I don't think I've ever watched an interview with him before. Oh I guess Olly Aexander counts too, as Bernard remixed one of his Years And Years tracks. He's not my cup of tea, but...he's there.
Other collaborators mentioned include the aforementioned Bowie, Liza Minelli and Dusty Springfield.
Also Marc Almond, James Ford of SMD, Jake Shears and Rufus Wainwright. Even Bobby O gets a mention, Was there a single mention of Electronic though? Nope, nothing.
I mean even if Bernanrd and Johnny weren't available for interview they still could have got a mention! Liza Minelli and Bowie weren't available either...

Strange that, considering PSB were sort of part of Electronic early on. I enjoyed the PSB programme. Thankfully no mention (I think) of U2 and Eighth Wonder/Patsy Kensit co-writes/cover versions - absolute bobbins. Had no idea who Jake Shears or Olly Alex were - maybe that's a good thing.
thanks 2 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/04/2024(UTC), Debaser on 22/04/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2024 10:28:43(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3617 time(s) in 2618 post(s)
I caught up with the Alan Yentob Pet Shop Boys thing.Wasn't anything special i thought.Ah well.I did find the parts where Neil got quite impassioned and ranty about one or two subjects more engaging though.A lot of the programme was just going over again well known stuff.Even the playing old demos cassettes wasn't as interesting as maybe Neil liked to think.

I've enjoyed PSB's music immensely over the years but the last couple of albums Super and Hotspot i found rather patchy.Last album i liked was Yes back in 2009.Oh actually the last album of theirs i thought was truly fantastic was Fundamental in 2006, some cracking songs on that one.I did really like the song they did with Marc Almond a while back, In The Purple Zone.

But, nonetheless,(see what i did there?) i'll give the new album a listen when it "Drops" as the kids say.

edit:oh the album drops on Friday i see

Edited by user 24 April 2024 10:33:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy on 24/04/2024(UTC)