logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2023 19:12:25(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
I actually don't mind the music, but his vocals are too tentative. I can't decide if it's because he didn't want to overdo it, or if he knew he shouldn't be doing it.

TIALTNGO
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/06/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 04/06/2023(UTC)
Sponsor
Coops  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2023 23:07:50(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I mean, obviously that was bloody awful.

And I'd like to ask the forum as a whole has Joy Division ever, like EVER, been referred to as 'the Divs'? Because it was a new one on me.

I do like Noel. Only last week he referred to that Matt Healy chappie from The 1975 as a 'slack-jawed fuckwit' which was brilliant.

So I do like Noel it's just sometimes he forgets he isn't McCartney, Lennon, Bowie or any of his heroes, he's just the guitarist from a very successful pub-rock band.

So maybe stop acting like a cunt, Noel.

thanks 2 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/06/2023(UTC), Andy on 02/06/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2023 00:47:49(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
He called Joy Division 'the Divs' ? Was that in an interview accompanying this cover? Haven't heard the interview. But no i've never EVER heard anyone call them that. Maybe in certain areas of Manchester or amongst Man City fans they do, i don't know.Almost as cringe as Man City nicknaming themselves 'Cityzens'. I know it's supposed to refer to them and their fans being genuine citizens of Manchester but i just find it silly (Sillyzens?) even though i prefer seeing them do better than Man U.

And while we're at it, Jim Kerr of Simple Minds once said 'those New Order boys' in an interview which i also found a bit, i don't know, maybe a bit puke.But what do you expect from Jim Kerr?

As for Noel's cover of LWTUA, i doubt i'll give it a second listen. Let's leave it at that.

I actually quite like some of High Flying Birds' stuff. At least he's trying different stuff, or at least some of the earlier High Flying Birds songs were. Certainly way more interesting than Liam's truly woeful 4th rate attempts at songwriting.Liam did have a great voice once upon a time but it's long gone. So he doesn't even have that now. He just sits around being gobby in interviews , still playing up the professional Manc thing.Noel always was and is the more talented of the brothers.

Anyway, i'm sure we'll spot on tv Noel and Liam in the expensive seats at Wembley tomorrow. Not sat next to each other though, obvs!

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC), Andy on 02/06/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2023 03:20:10(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I actually don't mind the music, but his vocals are too tentative. I can't decide if it's because he didn't want to overdo it, or if he knew he shouldn't be doing it.

I think what's evident in both of your vids is that Noel doesn't have a very powerful or distinctive voice. Not his fault; just the luck of the draw. Both Ian and Mozza can provide more power/character when singing their respective songs compared to Noel. in the case of LWTUA, I think the sound mixing doesn't help. The instrumental stuff kind of overwhelms Noel's voice (and Yikes, those strings!). Maybe BBC Radio 2 are partly to blame, or Maybe Noel wanted it that way cos he likes loud instrumentation and he knows his voice is nothing special?

Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post

And I'd like to ask the forum as a whole has Joy Division ever, like EVER, been referred to as 'the Divs'? Because it was a new one on me.

No, but Noel likes to be a bit daft/controversial. Pinch of salt required

Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post

Only last week he referred to that Matt Healy chappie from The 1975 as a 'slack-jawed fuckwit' which was brilliant.

I missed that, but yeah, agreed. Mind you, it has got to the point now where Taylor Swift fans are telling her to dump Healey, and some right-on journo woman wrote a long twitter thread to explain to her beloved followers why she was going to see Swift even though Swift's BF is a twit. Cos otherwise people might judge this journo woman and cancel her...

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Almost as cringe as Man City nicknaming themselves 'Cityzens'.... even though i prefer seeing them do better than Man U.

City genuinely struggle to fill their own stadium (The Emptyhad) due to their lack of fans. It wasn't as obvious in the Maine Road days, but it has become so since they moved.
So how come they manage to be able to get the most sought after manager and the most expensive players?
Their owners have literally bought the league.
A club is entitled to spend the money it earns. But City have been injecting oil money via dubious over-paying 'sponsorship' deals.

If you're happy to see an Ex-Machina owner come in, and inject bazillions of their own cash under the guise of 'sponsorship' and then buy league titles, well...ok. But it makes a mockery of the whole league system and insults/degrades your team, whichever team you support.

Under "What are the charges?" in the Sky article below, it says:

Quote:
The Premier League's financial fair play rules are designed to ensure clubs pretty much spend what they earn. You can get around that potentially by inflating how much you're earning or hiding how much you are spending.

According to the Premier League, Man City allegedly broke the rules over nine seasons. They allegedly didn't provide accurate financial information.

Whatever you think about Man Utd, the current (or previous) owners aren't injecting oil money into the business to buy the league title (the Glazers have been more interested in taking money out). Utd have built up a huge following and they earn their sponsorship. Although that could all change with new owners. And I fear the Premier League aren't strong enough to stand up to this stuff. I'll be amazed if they have the guts to cancel City's titles.
thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 02/06/2023(UTC), Andy on 02/06/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2023 04:19:25(UTC)
Fotz

^ Yep, absolutely, D.I hear you.It's not escaped me, all the questions regarding Manchester City's financial irregularities.

I did like seeing them win the league back in 2012 with the Ageuro moment and all that but yes, it's becoming boring now and coupled with the feeling they're just buying the title every year.It was disappointing to see Arsenal run out of steam this year.

I think 6-7 years ago i would've like to have seen Man City win the Champions League.But if they do win it next weekend i'll probably just give a shrug.I think i might even like to see Inter burst their bubble, that'd be interesting.

I don't really follow any team now.I guess at a push i'd have to say Cov but that's only because i used to go to see them in my youth and they're my local team.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 02/06/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2023 05:29:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3445 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
I echo Debaser's comments re City. Here's hoping the Premier League do something about City's constant rule-breaking, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm Man U 'til I die, so am probably a bit partizan.
Still, rules are rules.

As regards Noel's effort... Nah. Not for me.

I quite like Noel as a person though (although I'm not keen on some of the things he spouts, especially anti-Red stuff).
Met him once at the NO gig at Ally Pally in '98. He seemed a decent chap and was very amiable with any fan who approached him (and that was really at the height of Oasis fandom).

I do love some of his anecdotes too.
This one about Liam was priceless:

"Liam's the angriest man you'll ever meet. He's like a man with a fork in a world of soup."
thanks 4 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 02/06/2023(UTC), Andy on 02/06/2023(UTC), Debaser on 02/06/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2023 05:34:18(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I do love some of his anecdotes too.
This one about Liam was priceless:

"Liam's the angriest man you'll ever meet. He's like a man with a fork in a world of soup."

Ha! That is brilliant. Genuinely laughed out loud upon reading that.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#8 Posted : 02 June 2023 22:08:13(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
He should have just let it be a one-off, radio session oddity. But he's put it in his, frankly bizarre, set:

Setlist.fm

It opens with 6 tracks from his new release followed by a track from an EP. Then 1 track from his first HFB album followed by 6 cover versions (5 Oasis and LWTUA). I like him but would not be satisfied with that gig.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/06/2023(UTC)