logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2022 14:34:50(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Well there was a thread recently that addressed Pottsy and Wolfgang and Sea Fever.
We already had a Sea Fever thread prior to that multi-subject thread, and I think the other subjects deserve their own threads too.

Louder magazine

So Hooky guests on one track with Claudia Brücken of Propaganda fame.

Magazine 1 album tracklist

1. Magazine [ft. Ramón Amezcua]
2. Zukunftsmusik [ft. U96]
3. Best Buy [ft. U96]
4. Das Beat [ft. Midge Ure]
5. Birmingham [ft. Claudia Brücken & Peter Hook]
6. Night Drive [ft. Anushka]
7. Electric Sheep [ft. Carl Cox & U96]
8. Billionaire (Symphony Of Might) [ft. Juan Atkins]
9. Say No! (ft. MAPS)

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/01/2022(UTC)
Sponsor
Ken Doherty  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2022 02:22:09(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

One small thing: Wolfgang Flur wasn't a founding member of Kraftwerk: he joined three or four years after they were founded by Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider (and left in the mid 80s). I don't know if it was Peter personally saying that in that Tweet but seeing things like this make you realise that you have to take everything else he says with a pinch of salt.
thanks 2 users thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
negative1 on 11/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/01/2022(UTC)
Andy  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2022 01:37:37(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post

One small thing: Wolfgang Flur wasn't a founding member of Kraftwerk: he joined three or four years after they were founded by Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider (and left in the mid 80s). I don't know if it was Peter personally saying that in that Tweet but seeing things like this make you realise that you have to take everything else he says with a pinch of salt.

Yes, I saw that original tweet. I've heard Wolfgang's biography is a good read but been hesitant to buy it as I consider him the least vital member of the classic lineup.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2022 05:21:43(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Deleted, as I got my 'quotes' wrong and couldn't edit (marked as 'spam'). Correct post below.

Edited by user 15 January 2022 05:24:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2022 05:25:43(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I've heard Wolfgang's biography is a good read but been hesitant to buy it as I consider him the least vital member of the classic lineup.

I imagine he's got some good stories. Even if he wasn't as instrumental (pardon the pun) as the original two, he was certainly there when the magic happened. At the very least, he was there when all of the important LPs were made, so would certainly have a lot of knowledge of techniques used. I strongly suspect he had some creative input too (how could he not?). He also went on tour with them, performed at all the gigs during the classic period, and performed on TV programmes. He'll have some tales to tell, I'm sure.

To be honest, I'm kind of fed up of Hütter underplaying Bartos and Flur's contributions.

Reminds me a little of Hooky dismissing Gillian's contribution.
I imagine that Bartos, Flur and Gillian put their fair share of work in, and probably had to put up with a load of shit from band members who felt they were far more important than their colleagues.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Andy on 15/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2022(UTC)
Andy  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2022 11:34:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I've heard Wolfgang's biography is a good read but been hesitant to buy it as I consider him the least vital member of the classic lineup.

I imagine he's got some good stories. Even if he wasn't as instrumental (pardon the pun) as the original two, he was certainly there when the magic happened. At the very least, he was there when all of the important LPs were made, so would certainly have a lot of knowledge of techniques used. I strongly suspect he had some creative input too (how could he not?). He also went on tour with them, performed at all the gigs during the classic period, and performed on TV programmes. He'll have some tales to tell, I'm sure.

To be honest, I'm kind of fed up of Hütter underplaying Bartos and Flur's contributions.

Reminds me a little of Hooky dismissing Gillian's contribution.
I imagine that Bartos, Flur and Gillian put their fair share of work in, and probably had to put up with a load of shit from band members who felt they were far more important than their colleagues.

Bartos had a degree in percussion from university and co-wrote a number of tracks with the band. He also sang lead vocals on one of their popiest tracks, single The Telephone Call, which they now ignore. When their box set The Cataloge was issued, they substituted the 8 minute long track with a short [single?] version of the track and a dub version to lessen Karl's contribution. But, of course, Wolfgang was "the cute one".

Wolfgang's importance probably falls somewhere between our two perceptions, but we can agree that it's disheartening that he and Karl have been treated so poorly after their time with the band.

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
perspexorange on 16/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2022 17:31:41(UTC)
perspexorange

I loved The Telephone Call and was pretty pissed off with what they did with Electric Café. Rebranding and altering the tracks. Just dreadful.

Edited by user 16 January 2022 03:40:10(UTC)  | Reason: My drunken message didn't make sense. Fixed.

Andy on 16/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2022 03:59:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Just seen this on the Wikipedia page for 'Electric' Café':

"It is the last Kraftwerk album to feature percussionist Wolfgang Flür – and as with 1981's Computer World he only appears on the cover design, not on the recordings. He left the group in 1987."

Is this true? Weird if so.

Presumably they're saying that he was just kept for the live performances.

And, yeah, agreed with what you're saying about Karl, Andy. He was very much under appreciated and agree that messing about with 'The Telephone Call' on the remaster was probably done deliberately to underplay his contribution.

Kraftwerk were magnificent. And by Kraftwerk, I mean, Ralf and Florian and Karl and Wolfgang.

Edited by user 16 January 2022 04:00:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andy on 16/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2022(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#9 Posted : 26 January 2022 15:20:19(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mrk...zine-1-album-review/amp/

Birmingham features former New Order bassist Peter Hook and vocals from Ex-Propaganda singer Claudia Brücken, and is my favourite song on the album. I’ve loved Claudia’s work since A Secret Wish in 1985, and this is a perfect mix of the darkness of German electronic music, with a sprinkling of early New Order magic (that bass!). The contributions from Peter and Claudia are a potent and powerful blend, and it is worth buying the album for this track alone.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/01/2022(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2022 07:32:49(UTC)
Linus Solanki

https://youtu.be/-djcEuQRru0

The song sounds nice, I really wished Peter Hooks part was much louder and not that muted and I didn't like the talking in the middle of the song that much but overall a good song 3/5
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/02/2022(UTC), Debaser on 04/02/2022(UTC)
Debaser  
#11 Posted : 04 February 2022 09:04:23(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
The song sounds nice, I really wished Peter Hooks part was much louder and not that muted and I didn't like the talking in the middle of the song that much but overall a good song 3/5

Yeah fair summary, Linus.

Shall we embed it? Saves us having to watch adverts. YT put them at the end of videos as well as the beginning these days. Hmmm....

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/02/2022(UTC), Fotz on 05/02/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#12 Posted : 05 February 2022 00:45:50(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Late to this thread.Gave the Birmingham track a listen. Interesting choice of subject for a song."Meet me in the West Midlands", Claudia sings, and who could resist an invitation like that? "She wraps me up and then lets go", yes Birmingham often has that effect on me, too. Dissapointed the Bull Ring Centre and Spaghetti Junction didn't get a mention in the song though, tssk.Oh and i wonder what Claudia made of the new New Street Station? (i saw Cliff Richard there once, on the escalator, true story that). I found it extremely disorientating at first, took a while to get used to but then i am an old bastard afterall.The Oasis indoor market on Corporation Street is still going strong and has been since i first visited it back in the 80s.Best place for parking in Birmingham City centre is Snow Hill multistorey, leave the M6 at Junction 6 and get on the A38.It's a fairly simple route then into the city centre ( though they introduced a congestion charge in summer 2021 but my car is exempt and yours may be too, look it up on the Government website), follow the signs for Snow Hill station and car park. And finally, anyway, as the old saying goes, the man who is tired of Birmingham is tired of life.

Hey i'm selling Birmingham even better than Telly Savalas did! Yes, its my kinda town, so long, Birmingham!

Yes i read Woflgang's book I Was A Robot.Some years ago now, probs around when it was published (early to mid 2000s?) .Recall it was a really good read and some interesting stories about the inner world of Kraftwerk back in the day.

Edited by user 05 February 2022 06:57:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Jul on 05/02/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2022(UTC)
negative1  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2022 10:07:07(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
the latest issue of electronic sound, will have a 7 inch white vinyl,
with 2 mixes of electric sheep on it.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/03/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#14 Posted : 27 March 2022 09:56:25(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Wolfgang Flur was on Radcliffe & Maconie's 6Music show yesterday morning 26th March.They played the Birmingham track and talked with Wolfgang.Hadn't picked up on it when i listened to the song a few weeks back but Wolfgang mentions "Brummies" a few times in the track.Just wonderful!

I've heard Wolfgang on Radcliffe & Maconie's show before, a few years back and again yesterday he was on great form.He really is the most utterly, utterly charming and lovely man.Really enthusiastic, intelligent and humorous.An absolute gem of a guy.A total life affirming dude in these dark times.What a guy.

Go to 1 hour 22 mins in here to listen

Edited by user 27 March 2022 09:58:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/03/2022(UTC), negative1 on 15/04/2022(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2022 07:35:35(UTC)
Linus Solanki

thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Debaser on 15/04/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 05/05/2022(UTC)