logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Monkhouse  
#26 Posted : 03 October 2021 04:06:02(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Well it seems that there are certain subjects which are almost guaranteed to get you some sales if you approach them with a bit of effort.
Factory/JD/NO seems to be one of those subjects. Which is probably why Paul Borely has done another Factory/Wilson related book (which someone on twitter announced they had already received in the post, although it's not out til 21st October). Here's a guy at Faber & Faber trying to hustle an advance copy into Terry Christian's hands:

Should such works be limited strictly to "the professional"? Well there's an argument that fan experiences are also worth documenting. The Beasties Boys once handed out a bunch of video cameras to their fans in order to film a gig from the audience persective. A film called Blinded By The Light came out in 2019 - a semi-autobiographical drama about a British-Asian guy growing up in Luton and finding inspiration in....Bruce Springsteen. And of course our own Dennis here on the forum tells us he has a publication deal for his Ceremony to Superheated blog.

I guess sometimes it just depends on how well you do things.

Having said that, the chances of me buying this latest JD effort are virtually nil. But if someone else wants to read it and report back on any interesting bits here on the forum, then I'll happily pay attention for a minute or two!

My previous post was really my way of having a pop at a girl band I care little for. Other than Carl Urban/Billy Bucther's Spice Girls releated speech in series 2 of The Boys, my interest in "the girls" has been virtually zero since about 1997. But now alas, they're starting to pop up again in retrospectives about the 90's Dead . I live in hope that one day I may never have to hear them mentioned again...

EDIT: Ok this guy actually is a "professional". So it may well be just another cash-in. We'll see, next month.

Can't stand Tony Wilson. Smug knob cheese. Wanted to be Malcolm McLaren but didn't have the acts.

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC)
perspexorange  
#27 Posted : 03 October 2021 06:21:41(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Can't stand Tony Wilson. Smug knob cheese. Wanted to be Malcolm McLaren but didn't have the acts.

I'm sure he spoke highly of you, Michael.

I mean, I know part of your schtick is being controversial and provocative, but this is just absurd.

He had Joy Division. He had New Order.
He was instrumental in making the world pay attention to Manchester music. Something that impacted the whole British music scene for decades, through The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Mondays and even Oasis.
He also opened the UK's first super-club and arguably one of the most famous clubs that has ever existed.

McLaren would've been giddy if he'd achieved half of that.
No slight on McLaren meant; his impact can't be underestimated too.
I'm just emphasising the importance of Wilson.

I met him once. He was not smug (well, not that day anyway). Nor was he a knob.
He was charming and classy and a very pleasant chap to anyone that spoke to him.

Edited by user 03 October 2021 06:22:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#28 Posted : 03 October 2021 06:36:55(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Personally (and I know I'm in the minority) I thought he was full of shit. I remember watching this when I was a teen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waR8_sQ2fUI and I couldn't believe how far up his arse he was. Describing this barely known band who'd managed a grand total of one indie hit in twenty years as 'one of the moat important groups in the world'. Bollux. Boluckx. Buloxxxxxx.
Excerpt from 'Last Interview With Tony Wilson', the last Tony Wilson interview with Tony Wilson being interviewed in a Tony Wilson interview:
'Manchester was Manchester and it was Manchester, Manchester, and that meant - Manchester! Yeah, this is Manchester. And Manchester was Manchester. And out of Manchester there came this city - Manchester - and this band - Joy Division. yeah, Joy Division - and Manchester - and Manchester was Joy Division. Gonna shoot me? Never shoot the presebnter. That's not Manchestwer, or Joy Division. Gonna shoot me? There couldn't have been Manchester without Manchester, or Joy Division, and I thought, Fuck - this is Manchester, right? So let's - let's just have... Manchester. And that meant Joy Division, who became New Order - yeah, Manchester meant New Order too right? Gonna shoot me? Never shoot people, that's the fundamental rule of television. Never shoot. Just Manchester, New Order and New Order. And I'm like, on the telly, so I'm like, Yeah, let's put Manchester on the telly. And Joy Division, and New Order. Gonna shoot me? I mean Hey, I'm Tony Wilson, this is Manchester, this is New Order. On telly. Yeah, New Order on telly. Gonna shoot me?'
Jcp7  
#29 Posted : 03 October 2021 06:40:51(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Personally (and I know I'm in the minority) I thought he was full of shit. I remember watching this when I was a teen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waR8_sQ2fUI and I couldn't believe how far up his arse he was. Describing this barely known band who'd managed a grand total of one indie hit in twenty years as 'one of the moat important groups in the world'. Bollux. Boluckx. Buloxxxxxx.
Excerpt from 'Last Interview With Tony Wilson', the last Tony Wilson interview with Tony Wilson being interviewed in a Tony Wilson interview:
'Manchester was Manchester and it was Manchester, Manchester, and that meant - Manchester! Yeah, this is Manchester. And Manchester was Manchester. And out of Manchester there came this city - Manchester - and this band - Joy Division. yeah, Joy Division - and Manchester - and Manchester was Joy Division. Gonna shoot me? Never shoot the presebnter. That's not Manchestwer, or Joy Division. Gonna shoot me? There couldn't have been Manchester without Manchester, or Joy Division, and I thought, Fuck - this is Manchester, right? So let's - let's just have... Manchester. And that meant Joy Division, who became New Order - yeah, Manchester meant New Order too right? Gonna shoot me? Never shoot people, that's the fundamental rule of television. Never shoot. Just Manchester, New Order and New Order. And I'm like, on the telly, so I'm like, Yeah, let's put Manchester on the telly. And Joy Division, and New Order. Gonna shoot me? I mean Hey, I'm Tony Wilson, this is Manchester, this is New Order. On telly. Yeah, New Order on telly. Gonna shoot me?'

I didn't read this shit.
Should I?
thanks 2 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#30 Posted : 03 October 2021 17:11:50(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jcp7 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't read this shit.
Should I?

No. The only person who finds Monkhouse entertaining is Monkhouse. His schtick is tired, boring, and completely predictable.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
negative1  
#31 Posted : 15 November 2021 12:06:25(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
i ordered the book last week, and should be getting it shortly.

looking forward to it..

later
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC)
negative1  
#32 Posted : 16 November 2021 07:47:19(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
got the book yesterday.

skimmed through it.

pictures are excellent, and there are lots of them.

very high quality.

later
thanks 3 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2021(UTC), Like No Other on 16/11/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC)
TomVeil  
#33 Posted : 18 November 2021 19:37:57(UTC)
TomVeil

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I have this book and it's decent. No real new information of note and he didn't interview any of the band but as a coffee table book, it's a good book for the price
thanks 3 users thanked TomVeil for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC), negative1 on 22/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#34 Posted : 19 November 2021 02:59:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Then like Cliff Richard, I can't be fucked (like I would've been anyway). This story's been gone over more than my mother, and you'd have to offer some new insight, not that there can be much left. Even if you interviewed the banned themselves, they can't have a lot to add. The hilarious thing is people still go on about how they're shy of talking.
Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#35 Posted : 19 November 2021 07:30:27(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Ordered in August. Amazon BR is taking its time to bring me my copy.

At least they got my Juvenes copy delivered. Looks pretty nice

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
Like No Other on 19/11/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#36 Posted : 19 November 2021 09:23:50(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

On a positive note though, kinda nice to have the entire story in one book as opposed to all those JD to NO transformation takes. But I won't be dedicating serious beer money or wanking time.
Mr. Disco on 19/11/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC)
TomVeil  
#37 Posted : 19 November 2021 18:35:07(UTC)
TomVeil

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jcp7 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't read this shit.
Should I?

No. The only person who finds Monkhouse entertaining is Monkhouse. His schtick is tired, boring, and completely predictable.

Agreed. If he is trying to be funny or ironic, it's not working.
thanks 2 users thanked TomVeil for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC), negative1 on 22/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#38 Posted : 20 November 2021 00:34:57(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Apologies, Lenny fucking Bruce.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#39 Posted : 01 December 2021 10:00:38(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Finally here... arrived in pretty bad shape, so I would guess Amazon BR has taken a few lessons from the infamous Brazilian Postmen.

Plenty of nice photos indeed.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Andy on 01/12/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2021(UTC)
perspexorange  
#40 Posted : 01 December 2021 15:33:41(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Glad yours arrived (relatively) safely.

It's a nice book with a lot of cool colour photos. Definitely worth a punt, IMHO.

I've acquired a lot of New Order related books in recent weeks:

This one;
Morley's Wilson biography (signed);
Cummins' Juvenes reissue (signed);
The newly arrived Marc Tilli 'Rotterdam gig' booklet (which is a splendid little item).

I need to set aside some reading time.
Maybe over Christmas with a couple of pints of some nice festive dark ale; a porter or stout. Perfect.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 01/12/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#41 Posted : 01 December 2021 16:07:25(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

It amazes me the amount of books published on the band in the last 25 years or so... when I started, back in 1988, it took me more than six months to see how they looked like. By then, living in Brazil and having to import magazines, books and fanzines (which I still do), the only videos shown on TV were Shellshock, BLT, Fine Time and Round & Round. When WIM debuted I wasn't sure the people on the video were actually them. Black eye

This year alone I got three books on JD. The one on the top is a brazilian book published in 2019.

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2021(UTC)
Debaser  
#42 Posted : 01 December 2021 16:47:15(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post
Finally here... arrived in pretty bad shape, so I would guess Amazon BR has taken a few lessons from the infamous Brazilian Postmen.

Did you mean the packaging? The book looks perfect in your pictures.

Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post
When WIM debuted I wasn't sure the people on the video were actually them. Black eye

When Low Life came out I remember thinking: "hang on a minute, I thought the dark haired guy was the drummer. Surely they didn't put the drummer on the front, and put the singer on the inner sleeve?"

I was quite confused about Barney/Steve until the infamous Smash Hits piece with Sylvia Patterson ('86?) where Barney's on-tour cheating was documented.

Oh here's the Smash Hits article. I remember that pic of the girls with Barney's shorts.
thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 02/12/2021(UTC), Like No Other on 02/12/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#43 Posted : 02 December 2021 04:51:20(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Did you mean the packaging? The book looks perfect in your pictures.

The packaging seemed Ok, but it got pretty battered on the corners, affecting every single page inside. Plus, some of the pages have some sort of stain on the corners

Not going for a replacement but for the cost of an import item I'd expect it to be handled more carefully.

Edited by user 02 December 2021 12:25:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 02/12/2021(UTC), Debaser on 02/12/2021(UTC)