logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Monkhouse  
#76 Posted : 24 September 2021 11:56:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Thanks. If it matches, 99 per cent bound to be that one, cos that was when the gigs were unique. As I said, l assumed the bootlegger had used an official recording, so that grotesquely-titled and -packaged Like A Girl was the obvious choice.
I don't have access to the Remix boot so I can't offer any more info, but I'd be interested in what you find.
Come to think (that's my brain in reverse), I had four SRs, all different and semi-improv'd:
Still
BBC Radio 1
Demos, Out-takes and Rarities (always assumed it was Like A Girl cos they tended to be official but rare sources e g. Discreet Campaigns or Record Mirror. Surprised the bootlegger took the trouble to dig out a live track due to its rarity value. The only other glaring omission from these was Theme, so I confused it with Homage)
Oz's Live and Dangerous Mix, which obviously wasn't a mix but the compiler's label, presumably so it'd tie in with the others on a 'Remix' CD

Edited by user 25 September 2021 02:51:09(UTC)  | Reason: I have the thyme

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
perspexorange  
#77 Posted : 19 October 2021 12:09:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post

- or the Oz's Live and Dangerous 'Mix' on that 'The Remix' boot I mentioned above.

Hmmm. Not sure about this one.
If I can find the CD, I'll try and match it what I have Should be easy. The only problem might be locating the CD.

So I finally found my 'The Remix' CD.

Pretty sure that 'Oz's Live and Dangerous Mix' of 'Sister Ray' is the one from Ibirapuera, São Paulo, Brazil, 01/12/88, which is also featured on the 'Like A Girl...' compilation.
Not sure if it's any different from the version on the original CD.

If you think about it, it makes sense that it would've been ripped from a legitimate source (rather than a live bootleg), as pretty much all of the other tracks were taken from official sources, albeit hard-to-find ones.

Incidentally, the Extended Mix of Run 2 is a bit different to the standard 12" version.
It has a 'record played backwards' type sound at the start. No doubt this is another bit added by the compiler to make it seem different (thereby encouraging punters to buy it).

Edited by user 20 October 2021 01:27:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 20/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#78 Posted : 20 October 2021 00:30:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

If you think about, it makes sense that it would've been ripped from a legitimate source (rather than a live bootleg), as pretty much all of the other tracks were taken from official sources, albeit hard-to-find ones.

Yeah, that's what I thought. So it's weird that the Demos, Outtakes and Rarities did that cos the others were 'under-released' i.e. Record Mirror, Discreet Campaigns etc.
Cheers for checking that out. I wanted to try my copy of 'The Remix' but the channel's in the way.
perspexorange  
#79 Posted : 20 October 2021 01:26:35(UTC)
perspexorange

Cheers for checking that out. I wanted to try my copy of 'The Remix' but the channel's in the way.

No problem. I enjoyed digging it out.
Although I have most of the stuff on other discs and sometimes in better quality, I'm quite impressed with what was on the disc.

I remember at the time, I only had the soundtrack versions on a dodgy bootleg cassette, so it was nice to get on CD. Was also good to get the Racic mix of Paradise on CD too.

I think the DJ Only mix of Blue Monday 1988 is a bit longer than the version on vinyl (7:38 compared to 7:19). However, I suspect it's just running a bit slow, rather than being a slightly different version.

Michael Monkhouse on 20/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#80 Posted : 20 October 2021 03:51:54(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Cool. Sorry to repeat myself (actually I'm not. Some people molest goats) but I remember buying that at a record fair in Cambridge in 1995. I 'needed' it for Paradise, Ruined, BM and Sister Ray. Ruined must be by the bootlegger to con buyers.
I'd just cum back from my year out (think Erasmus without the fucking) and had a lot of money by my standards so I had a lot of fun tracking down what I'd missed e.g. the 1963 12". Then I actually heard it and it wasn't fun at all. Does Lioncock have a single sec of NO? In fact, the glut of remixes alongside these solo projects that were doing FA was one of the reasons my passion faded. Until Rest Of, I could recite the entire back catalogue and, sadly, did.
I think it was round here that I read Aphex Twin were commissioned to do a mix and just handed over the last thing they'd been working on.
perspexorange  
#81 Posted : 20 October 2021 04:43:01(UTC)
perspexorange

the glut of remixes alongside these solo projects that were doing FA was one of the reasons my passion faded. Until Rest Of, I could recite the entire back catalogue and, sadly, did.

Yep. I've said it before too (many times) that the whole Republic/Best Of/Rest Of remixes and the band's 'not giving a shit' attitude (who could blame them) really killed my passion in the mid-nineties.

I still dabbled in 'new' New Order (for instance, I loved Crystal, Here To Stay and the Apollo '98 gig), but I generally took a huge break from the band.
In fact the whole thing kind of soured me towards the old material too. I guess I thought, if the band couldn't be arsed, why should I? (daft I know).

I always loved the old stuff deep down, but just rarely seemed to listen to it, and found myself listening to bands like The Chameleons, The Comsat Angels and The Sound far more than NO.

It wasn't really until the reformation in 2011 that I started to get pretty keen on the band once again.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#82 Posted : 20 October 2021 06:12:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, I've never cum close to the level of passion I had in the early 90s. There are whole albums I can't comment on - Super Highgays and Freebass - and a ton of mixes I haven't even heard. By Get Ready I had very little interest and bought it more out of curiosity than anything else. O enjoyed it but felt there was a dip in the second half. I got interested again around Wanking For the Sirens' Call, partly cos it was the internet explosion so it was fun to find info, partly cos I was under a lot of stress and I needed a hobby. But God, I'll never go back to the obsessiveness of my youth.
Michael Monkhouse  
#83 Posted : 20 October 2021 06:22:57(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

No it ain't stoopid. A very small group of us waited for John Lydon after a PIL gig and he walked straight past us and into the car without a first, let alone second glance and it put me off him, especially as he's always going on about being anti the star system. Must've been a bad day cos I've read positive things about his attitude to fans.
Hooky has changed totally from the arsehole he used to be. Maybe it's just marketing cos his New Order antics have put people off and he's hardly creating tons of new material.

Slightly off topic but I once saw David Bad Eel and he refused to give an autograph. I was miffed but later realised he was doing the right thing cos it was an Eddie Izzard singing session and he didn't want to steal the star's thunder. Celeb etiquette. Cos I met him on another occasion and he gave me his autograph, no prob.
I once met Cameron Diaz. People say, Was it weird, suddenly face to face with this gorgeous, stunning, sexy, millionaire superstar? Yes, it was. But after the initial nerves, she calmed down. I'm just like everyone else, really.
Debaser  
#84 Posted : 20 October 2021 07:02:10(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
I think it was round here that I read Aphex Twin were commissioned to do a mix and just handed over the last thing they'd been working on.

I believe that was a Lemonheads 'remix', not NO.
And on a point of up-my-arse pedantry, Aphex Twin is singular.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#85 Posted : 20 October 2021 08:28:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

I believe that was a Lemonheads 'remix', not NO.
And on a point of up-my-arse pedantry, Aphex Twin is singular.

Yeah, the other night I did a show and afterwards someone said, 'Me and my mate think you're a fucking cunt.' I was so shocked - because it's 'My mate and I'.
The mixes were fine in the Fucktory years cos they stayed fairly true to the originals sand even if they didn't, it felt like the band was involved cos they'd launch into them live. The remix madness started with London for one simple reason. Money.
perspexorange  
#86 Posted : 20 October 2021 08:50:28(UTC)
perspexorange

The remix madness started with London for one simple reason. Money.

Yep.
London probably guessed that they weren't going to get any further new material out of the band and wanted to maximise their return.

I guess the lack of impetus of the band to produce new stuff was tempered with the fact that London had acquired the band's very enviable back catalogue, and could milk this for all its worth.

So, first off they release four singles off the (IMO patchy) 'new' LP. Remixed these to death, spreading the various mixes over multiple formats, including two CDs per single (except Regret).

Then, after fully exhausting 'Republic', they moved onto the back catalogue:
Studio LP reissues, Best Of, Rest Of, True Faith-94, 1963-95, Blue Monday-95, International etc.

Oh, and Joy Division reissues - studio LPs, Permanent, Love Will Tear Us Apart-95 etc.

I bet they made a shed load of money. Both London and the band.
Probably paid for Bernard's yacht.

I know we've all discussed this at length, but this really was a definite low in the band's history.

Edited by user 20 October 2021 08:52:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

negative1 on 21/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#87 Posted : 20 October 2021 09:16:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, the only reason for Rest Of was wonga. New Order signed a three-album cuntract with London but as usual they were having their cack and eating it cos it included one they'd already finished (repubelick) and a compilation 'Substance 2' (released as the Best Of). If the band had been arsed to wtite something new, London wouldn't've put this crap out.
negative1  
#88 Posted : 21 October 2021 06:35:51(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
The remix madness started with London for one simple reason. Money.

Yep.
London probably guessed that they weren't going to get any further new material out of the band and wanted to maximise their return.

I guess the lack of impetus of the band to produce new stuff was tempered with the fact that London had acquired the band's very enviable back catalogue, and could milk this for all its worth.

So, first off they release four singles off the (IMO patchy) 'new' LP. Remixed these to death, spreading the various mixes over multiple formats, including two CDs per single (except Regret).

Then, after fully exhausting 'Republic', they moved onto the back catalogue:
Studio LP reissues, Best Of, Rest Of, True Faith-94, 1963-95, Blue Monday-95, International etc.

Oh, and Joy Division reissues - studio LPs, Permanent, Love Will Tear Us Apart-95 etc.

I bet they made a shed load of money. Both London and the band.
Probably paid for Bernard's yacht.

I know we've all discussed this at length, but this really was a definite low in the band's history.

it might have been a low for you.
but i loved electronica, and a lot of those fit in.

great for collectors too.

the blue monday 95 mixes, had some great ones, like from hardfloor.

i was glad to see them revisit the classics, while not much else was going on.

but republic was a lowpoint for albums, for me though.

later

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#89 Posted : 21 October 2021 07:08:41(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

It was difficunt to get excited about something that was so patently about money first and quality second. It was a triple loss - no New Order, rip-off rereleases, and these much touted solo projects were hardly knocking em out either.
perspexorange  
#90 Posted : 21 October 2021 07:43:18(UTC)
perspexorange

It was difficunt to get excited about something that was so patently about money first and quality second. It was a triple loss - no New Order, rip-off rereleases, and these much touted solo projects were hardly knocking em out either.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

the blue monday 95 mixes, had some great ones, like from hardfloor.

Yep. To be fair, I quite liked the Blue Monday-95 mixes too
OK, so nothing was going to beat the original classic and The Beach (possibly the band's best remix?), but there was much to enjoy in the remixes. Especially the Hardfloor ones.

On a similar note, the Confusion remixes from 2002 were even better. I really like those.

Apart from those two exceptions (plus maybe one or two others), I was not fussed by the post-Factory remixes, which all seemed like a massive cash-grab.
negative1 on 22/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#91 Posted : 21 October 2021 08:09:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, the Hardfloor and Jam n Spoon mixes were strong, but as I said, it was all about money.
I used to have a cassette compilation of every song that only included remixes if they had (a) totally different music and (b) the full vocal. That whole 94 - 95 shitstorm only produced three trax - True Faith Perfecto, 1963 Baker and BM Jam and Spoon. The rest can suck my donkey's balls.
Debaser  
#92 Posted : 21 October 2021 10:07:28(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Yeah, the Hardfloor and Jam n Spoon mixes were strong, but as I said, it was all about money.
I used to have a cassette compilation of every song that only included remixes if they had (a) totally different music and (b) the full vocal. That whole 94 - 95 shitstorm only produced three trax - True Faith Perfecto, 1963 Baker and BM Jam and Spoon. The rest can suck my donkey's balls.

Why do they have to have totally different music? BM was a "track" rather than a song in the first place (according to Bernard). Removing all of the "track" and just keeping the vocals doesn't necessaily make a good remix.
The Hardfloor remix of BM was the best remix to come out of that period, precisely because it kept the original track largely intact but added a tough acid/techno kick to it.
I was a fan of Jam & Spoon's Tripomatic Fairytale stuff, but if you think Jam & Spoon did better remixes of BM than Hardfloor, well you're just wrong!
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
negative1 on 22/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#93 Posted : 22 October 2021 00:32:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Nope, I didn't say it was better. In the words of Sylvia Plath, I like them both the same.
Back then my major interest in life, after beer and Razzle Readers' Wives, was New Order. When I went to uni, I couldn't drag all the vinyl up with me, so - yes, I know it's sad - I made a list of every track and taped the lot. To make it worthwhile, I used a double criterion of radically different music (no pointless 7" edits) and a full vocal (no anonymous dubs). So I liked Hardfloor but didn't consider it sufficiently interesting for inclusion.
No one gives a fuck.
Michael Monkhouse  
#94 Posted : 22 October 2021 02:00:28(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

PS Totally agree that the best remixes stay faithful to the originals but add oomph: World Perfecto, Spooky Stadium, ITYS on Lost Sirens. The worst are too different (A van Hardon's BLT) or too similar (TF 7"). I wouldn't say Hardfloor is worse - I Just felt it was too close to the original to warrant inclusion, while Manuela offered something 'new'. The point of my collection was to strip past all the off-shoots and get to the actual songs.
No one gives a fuck.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Debaser on 22/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
perspexorange  
#95 Posted : 22 October 2021 03:58:45(UTC)
perspexorange

...Razzle Readers' Wives

This made me laugh. So thanks for that.
A blast from the past.

No one gives a fuck.

I do.
Sounds like a reasonable reason to cull/keep certain tracks.

Michael Monkhouse  
#96 Posted : 22 October 2021 05:21:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Well, yeah. I couldn't see the point in filling a side with Shep Craplyboned's five BLTs (I'm including the video version) when they're all similar and like the original but not as good. It was fairly plain sailing till Repubblica, which threw up:
Regret 7" and Fire Island
Ruined LP, K-Klarse, Ambient, Dance Anal Groove
Vicious Circle NO
World Perfecto, Brothers in Jism, K-Klass
Spooky Stadium, Minimix, the first one on the second CD!
Ev Ev NOStory
2nd side as it is (mainly crap)
The 94-5 period only gave the three I mentioned
After Raise the Pisser, it all fell apart cos I was living outside the UK and there was very little Net. Plus I just couldn't be arsed any more.
Razzle was awesome. Really honest: here's a vagina so knock one out. My personal favourite was 'Welcome to another awesome issue. We know it's awesome, we haven't seen the editor's hands above the desk for three weeks... Coming next month? Buy Razzle and make sure.' I genuinely think that Playboy is more misogynistic cos it tells you it's respectable to lust after a woman you have no interest in. Dodgy.
And this year's award for deviating furthest goes to...
Fotz  
#97 Posted : 22 October 2021 05:30:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
On the subject of porno mags, i heard or read something recently that Whitehouse porn mag chose that name to wind up Mary Whitehouse.Found that quite amusing.

Talk about going off topic...
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#98 Posted : 22 October 2021 06:07:20(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
On the subject of porno mags, i heard or read something recently that Whitehouse porn mag chose that name to wind up Mary Whitehouse.Found that quite amusing.

That's pretty amusing. And the sort of thing I'd have done if I ran a porno empire. Big Grin

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Talk about going off topic...

And this year's award for deviating furthest goes to...

'Deviation' is definitely the word to use here.
Michael Monkhouse  
#99 Posted : 22 October 2021 07:07:12(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

That is fucking awesome. Good for them.
Used porn. Second hand job.
Teens have it too easy these days what with this Interwebby thing. I used to go on long walks in the woods for just one Page. In the meantime I'd grab anything with my free hand... My worst ever was Mel C on TFI Friday. The pause function went off just before I did, and I shot my wad all over Chris Evans. But no use crying over spilt milk... Plus there was real shame attached to porn. It meant you were a perv and a misogynist, rather than a normal teen discovering what he really really wants.
How the fuck did this thread end up here?
Porn forum. Some threads may be sticky.
Mr Discography  
#100 Posted : 22 October 2021 09:25:42(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 625 time(s) in 353 post(s)
I couldn't see the point in filling a side with Shep Craplyboned's five BLTs (I'm including the video version)

Bringing the conversation back down to Earth and replacing unnecessary talk of actual porn with a discussion on discographical porn, technically there are 7 Shep Pettibone versions of 'Bizarre Love Triangle' - 8 including the video version you mentioned, all of which I own:

• 12"
• 7"
• Dub 12"
• Dub 7"
• Canadian "Remixed & Edited" 7"
• Qwest 7" Edit
• Extended Edit
• Video Edit

Pointless? Yes? Collectable? Very. Versions I've mostly listened to? 12" and 7" of course!
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.