logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2021 07:59:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Back in late 1990, I remember reading about the above 'megamix' and was quite interested to hear it.

Over the years, I've tried to find a copy online, but with no success.
Googling it today draws a complete blank, with absolutely no reference to this online whatsoever.

Now, I'm guessing it's probably not the greatest thing ever committed to vinyl (I have a load of other 1980s New Order bootlegs, and they're invariably terrible), but I'd still be interested in hearing it.

It was apparently mixed by a 'DJ Eject' and released on a bootleg.

Here's a cutting of 'Record Collector' #136, 12/1990, which is where I first read about it:

UserPostedImage

I'm starting to think that it either didn't exist and RC got it wrong, or it was very much a 'bedroom effort', with extremely limited release.

Anybody able to satisfy my curiosity?

Whilst we're on the subject, of megamixes, I used to have a mix of Bizarre Love Triangle/Angel Dust on tape?
Anybody remember that?
I'm sure it wasn't that great, but it would be nice to hear it again, if anyone has it.

Edited by user 28 August 2021 08:12:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotz  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2021 08:26:14(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Never heard of that Masters Of Ceremony one or the Megatrax one but I think the disc pictured below that I have is the ON-USound one mentioned in that cutting at the end. Haven’t played it in years. From memory TPK, BLT and BM and maybe more are mega mixed on it and Bronksi Beat mixed in also or on the b side or something , really can’t remember without giving it a spin

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2021 16:11:09(UTC)
perspexorange

I think you’re right, Fotz.

I bought that disc myself, from HMV in Manchester. 1990, I think.
Around the same time, I bought the Arthur Baker ‘Minimal’ remixes of ‘Confusion’.
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2021 01:30:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I read that article too and assumed it was the mix on Demos, Outtakes and Rarities. There were three of these bootleg cassettes and they got steadily less worthwhile.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2021 02:08:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I read that article too and assumed it was the mix on Demos, Outtakes and Rarities. There were three of these bootleg cassettes and they got steadily less worthwhile.

I'm not sure I'm aware of those compilations. I'll look them up.

I've been looking through some of my old trade lists, and the Masters Of The Ceremony megamix is mentioned on a couple of them.

Apparently, it's 45 minutes long (or thereabouts).
Crikey! That might be a bit excessive.

It either covers about 15-20 tracks by the band, or (more likely) mixes the usual tracks with various other songs from the era.
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2021 07:32:12(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Three cassettes I picked up at a record fair in 1992. The most interesting was the first cos it had 586 Pts One and Two, Haystack, Homage and the Hassie flexidisc. There's a tracklisting here but it doesn't specify which versions https://www.discogs.com/...Rarities/release/7935833 . The funny part is that I thought Haystack had a woman on vocals so it was an old Inadequates track! I was right about the flexi tracks, and assumed 586 was an early version (half-right) and Homage an old demo (right again). Record Mirror and An Ideal For Living proved invaluable back then.
The best part about the second one was Let's Go / Waiting for so long, which was also the best part of the third one! Milking it, really, but I'm sure there were two megamixes on there.
50poundnote  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2021 07:55:28(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
I have the rarities 2 cassette, with the photo of Barney, but it's on orange paper instead of green. It includes soundcheck versions of Angel Dust and All Day Long from the Playhouse Theater in Edinburgh, 11 September 1986. I LOVE these versions, because they used a singular/heavier drum machine sound live, and you can hear how beautiful the sequenced tracks are by themselves.

Edited by user 31 August 2021 07:59:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2021 08:01:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Also had the London 6.12.85 cassette. Kudos for starting with Atmosphere for the first time, the closest ever to a definitive TPK, and the full soundcheck featuring some JD to boot. Vague memories of some BLT demos and As Tit Is When tit Was with alternative lyrics, but it's been fucking Decades (see what I did there).
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 31 August 2021 08:21:24(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for the info, both. Although I didn't have those exact cassettes, I certainly had some similar ones.
It was great to finally get to hear some of those rarities (Homage, Video 5-8-6, Theme etc.). I also had some similar tapes that included all the various soundtrack variants.

I have that AIIWIW demo mentioned.

I also have a demo of BLT, with different lyrics. It's basically like those early live performances of the track ("You will take me by the hand and I won't leave you far behind", etc.).
However, I'm not 100% convinced it isn't either a rehearsal or a soundcheck, as it has Bernard talking about the drum machine at the beginning.

It's labelled as a demo, but I guess that was probably the bootlegger 're-classifying' it to make it sound like something that might be of interest.
Case in point, from the same period, I supposedly have demos of Paradise and Sub-Culture. I think I bought these thinking they would be different:

Paradise could be a demo, but is probably just soundcheck/rehearsal).
Sub-Culture is just the RM Remix.

Fooled by the bootleggers, once again.
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2021 08:41:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, I had a BLT 'demo' where he talks about the sequencer. I assumed it was a soundcheck. Different lyrics too - 'Keep your thoughts inside your head; think too much and you'll be dead...'
The worst bootleg rip off was RIAD Fazed and Dazed on The Remix CD, which I mentioned in the Rarities thread. I'm convinced the bootlegger did it at home and bunged it on there to fool even the most obsessive completist. makes the Sly n Robbie take sound like Hendrix.
For years I thought Theme was Homage (A MGM). Finally heard the true horror through arsistance on these forums, and bought it on the Bemucous compilation.

Edited by user 31 August 2021 08:45:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

negative1  
#11 Posted : 31 August 2021 10:01:01(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info, both. Although I didn't have those exact cassettes, I certainly had some similar ones.
It was great to finally get to hear some of those rarities (Homage, Video 5-8-6, Theme etc.). I also had some similar tapes that included all the various soundtrack variants.

I also have a demo of BLT, with different lyrics. It's basically like those early live performances of the track ("You will take me by the hand and I won't leave you far behind", etc.).
However, I'm not 100% convinced it isn't either a rehearsal or a soundcheck, as it has Bernard talking about the drum machine at the beginning.

It's labelled as a demo, but I guess that was probably the bootlegger 're-classifying' it to make it sound like something that might be of interest.
Case in point, from the same period, I supposedly have demos of Paradise and Sub-Culture. I think I bought these thinking they would be different:

thats interesting about those demos or rehersal tracks.

hooky is selling off a lot of them, and maybe those will show up if someone here
gets access to them.

i have a feeling they will all go for a lot of money to the major collectors.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2021 10:24:40(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah - I had that RIAD 'Phased & Dazed' mix on here:

https://www.discogs.com/...he-Remix/release/7706942

Yeah, the mix was certainly amateur, but the other tracks made it a worthwhile compilation to get.
There were a lot of those previously mentioned soundtrack variants, plus things like the Paradise and Run 2 remixes on CD.

'Theme (sometimes known as 'Theme (Hommage A MGM)') is a bit of an odd one, isn't it?

It originally appeared on the 'Crépuscule Collection 1 - The Quick Neat Job' compilation in 1986. Then it appeared on the 'Moving Soundtracks (Volume One)' compilation in 1991.
Both releases credited it to 'Be Music' and used the full name.

It next appeared on the LTM compilation 'Cool As Ice (The Be Music Productions)' in 2003.
Again, this was under the 'Be Music' banner but this time reduced to just 'Theme'.

Finally, it made an appearance on the other LTM compilation 'New Order Presents Be Music' in 2017.
It was now relabelled as 'Lavolta Lakota Theme' and credited solely to 'Peter Hook'.

For years, it was always assumed by most fans that it was the band in disguise as 'Be Music' (although the band members worked separately under that umbrella). However, that last release seems to indicate that Hooky was the only one who worked on it.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the music the band 'Lavolta Lakota' walked on stage to, hence the new name. I think Hooky used to do their live sound and was where he pinched Dave Hicks from for Revenge.

perspexorange  
#13 Posted : 31 August 2021 10:40:15(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
...and maybe those will show up if someone here
gets access to them.

i have a feeling they will all go for a lot of money to the major collectors.

I think this is the problem.
I doubt anyone who posts here will be able to outbid the major collectors. So it seems doubtful that these will ever be propagated any further than the buyer.

I hope I'm wrong though. It would be real shame for all of these to just sit with one individual for the rest of his life.

With any luck, 'Johnny James' has copies of most of this (if not all), and we get to hear the best stuff on the forthcoming box sets.

I was looking through the online catalogue yesterday. It has a lot clearer pictures than the printed one (and more pictures too), so it's easier to make out what might be on the various tapes.
There does look like there might be some real gems featured in the auction.

Edited by user 03 September 2021 02:13:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 31/08/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 31 August 2021 22:48:46(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

'Theme (sometimes known as 'Theme (Hommage A MGM)') is a bit of an odd one, isn't it?

It originally appeared on the 'Crépuscule Collection 1 - The Quick Neat Job' compilation in 1986. Then it appeared on the 'Moving Soundtracks (Volume One)' compilation in 1991.
Both releases credited it to 'Be Music' and used the full name.

It next appeared on the LTM compilation 'Cool As Ice (The Be Music Productions)' in 2003.
Again, this was under the 'Be Music' banner but this time reduced to just 'Theme'.

Finally, it made an appearance on the other LTM compilation 'New Order Presents Be Music' in 2017.
It was now relabelled as 'Lavolta Lakota Theme' and credited solely to 'Peter Hook'.

For years, it was always assumed by most fans that it was the band in disguise as 'Be Music' (although the band members worked separately under that umbrella). However, that last release seems to indicate that Hooky was the only one who worked on it.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the music the band 'Lavolta Lakota' walked on stage to, hence the new name. I think Hooky used to do their live sound and was where he pinched Dave Hicks from for Revenge.

Information about New Order is more interesting than New Order's actual music. You're out of my league.
As I wrote on the other thread, I '''needed'''' The Remix for the versions of Sister Ray, RIAD, Paradise and Blue Funday. I already had the rest and my equipment didn't affect the sound quality (ask my wife). As that beyond appalling Ruined never appeared anywhere else, certainly not on anything official, it's bound to be a ploy by the bootlegger. I never thought RIAD could sound any worse than in Sly and Robbie's hands. The funny part is that they were also involved in Grace Jones' She's Lost Control, and that was total and utter fucking shit too.
Atrocity  
#15 Posted : 02 September 2021 09:50:03(UTC)
Atrocity

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)

For those of you who haven't heard this BLT Soundcheck/Rehearsal ive uploaded it here .I'm sure its the same one you have mentioned Perspex. I ve got it labelled as "soundcheck" at the London Central Poly gig 06-12-1985.

https://we.tl/t-lc0s00LBsa
thanks 2 users thanked Atrocity for this useful post.
Like No Other on 04/09/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 02 September 2021 23:10:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Thar's the cassette I had. Great Gigi AND sound check. Bet you never thought I'd say anything positive eh.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Like No Other on 04/09/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2021(UTC)
perspexorange  
#17 Posted : 03 September 2021 00:33:50(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Atrocity Go to Quoted Post

For those of you who haven't heard this BLT Soundcheck/Rehearsal ive uploaded it here .I'm sure its the same one you have mentioned Perspex. I ve got it labelled as "soundcheck" at the London Central Poly gig 06-12-1985.

https://we.tl/t-lc0s00LBsa

Thanks for this.
I can confirm that this is the same as mine.
And thanks for identifying the gig/soundcheck. That was something that I was planning to do this weekend.
Well spotted!

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Thar's the cassette I had. Great Gigi AND sound check. Bet you never thought I'd say anything positive eh.

HaHa. Smile

We all know, deep down, that you're a fan, Michael.
But it's still great to hear you praise the band from time to time.

And you're right. Great gig and soundcheck.
Any gig that has Procession, Sunrise and 5-8-6, alongside classics like AoC and TPK, is bloody good as far as I'm concerned.
Michael Monkhouse  
#18 Posted : 03 September 2021 05:51:39(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, that's that out of the way. For Decades. Until A Later Date or a Blue Monday morning, night and day.
Mine had the gig first but otherwisehttps://100greatestbootl...onth-march-2107.html?m=1 . What a great sound
check and gig setlist. The Perfect Kiss is pretty much the definitive take, plus they start with Atmosphere for the first time, and there's some classic between-song banter. Probably the best N O boot I had.
LostSiren  
#19 Posted : 03 September 2021 09:11:41(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Never heard of that Masters Of Ceremony one or the Megatrax one but I think the disc pictured below that I have is the ON-USound one mentioned in that cutting at the end. Haven’t played it in years. From memory TPK, BLT and BM and maybe more are mega mixed on it and Bronksi Beat mixed in also or on the b side or something , really can’t remember without giving it a spin

UserPostedImage

I have this too, but with a blue label. I was never quite sure of its origin, so good to learn of it. It's a Bronski Beat mix on the B side. It's been so long since I played the New Order side I forget what's on there - but, oh wonders of the internet, seems liek it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy4OOaxxSKI

thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#20 Posted : 03 September 2021 10:02:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah - my label is blue too.

I'm wondering if Fotz' copy has a blue label too. Might just be the flash on the camera making it appear white etc.

As I mentioned above, HMV Manchester had multiple copies of this on their shelves back in 1990. I always thought this a little odd, as it seemed fairly 'unofficial'.

I remember that I had pretty limited funds the day I spotted it and had the choice between this and the aforementioned Arthur Baker remixes of 'Confusion' (the ones on the 'Minimal' label).
I opted for 'Confusion', but picked up this Megamix the following month at the same shop.
Jcp7  
#21 Posted : 03 September 2021 10:32:07(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
Fotz  
#22 Posted : 03 September 2021 11:25:01(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah - my label is blue too.

I'm wondering if Fotz' copy has a blue label too. Might just be the flash on the camera making it appear white etc.

Erm, nope. That very pale colour of the label in the photo is definitely the actual colour. And i didn’t use the flash on my phone camera. The label is a very very pale green(ish).

Yes I also bought that Minimal Records 12” release with the Confusion remixes sometime circa 1990.
Fotz  
#23 Posted : 03 September 2021 11:42:23(UTC)
Fotz

Actually gave the Blue Order 12” a spin just now. Tracks mega mixed together are TBTHOG 12”, True Faith Pettibone remix ( heavily looped in places), BLT Pettibone 12”, Sub Culture Robie 12” , Round & Round ( Saunderson mix I think), BM original 83 and a snippet of The Beach and a looped “ tell me how/ tell me now/ tell me how/ tell me now” which is quite comical before finally a sudden jump into a brief section of TPK to finish.

Edited by user 03 September 2021 11:43:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#24 Posted : 03 September 2021 11:45:54(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

Erm, nope. That very pale colour of the label in the photo is definitely the actual colour. And i didn’t use the flash on my phone camera. The label is a very very pale green(ish).

Ah, cool. Thanks for confirming.
Never seen one with any other colour than blue.

Actually, just checked Discogs.

They have both colours listed:

https://www.discogs.com/...i-Beats/release/12191765
https://www.discogs.com/...ski-Beats/release/457170

I learn something new every day.

And, looking at Discogs, they've prohibited sale, so they must class 'em as bootlegs.
Naughty old HMV, eh?
Fotz  
#25 Posted : 03 September 2021 12:03:14(UTC)
Fotz

Actually I guess a very very pale turquoise rather than pale green?