logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
negative1  
#26 Posted : 03 February 2021 09:58:11(UTC)
negative1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
So what was the story with this promo set? I vaguely remember a thread about it on here some years ago , seeing the pics and stuff . Shocked to realise it was nearly 5 years ago though, time flies and all that eh? But what was the reason and timing for its release? Just seemed quite a random thing. No I don’t own a copy and haven’t tried to obtain one. Just trying to get my round what the point of it was. I guess I’m at risk of sounding like sour grapes that I don’t have a copy but that’s really not the case, I’m just curious about the point of it.

Bands release inhouse promos, and company promos as thank you to specific people or for specific events.
Nothing more than that. Sure there are anniversary releases.

Look at the tons of special factory promos that are worth a fortune now,
flexis, flipbooks, rulers, statues, stationary, and every other thing you can think of.

This is a small time peanuts to put out a limited cd set.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
NotAMod  
#27 Posted : 03 February 2021 10:46:45(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
So what was the story with this promo set? I vaguely remember a thread about it on here some years ago , seeing the pics and stuff . Shocked to realise it was nearly 5 years ago though, time flies and all that eh? But what was the reason and timing for its release? Just seemed quite a random thing. No I don’t own a copy and haven’t tried to obtain one. Just trying to get my round what the point of it was. I guess I’m at risk of sounding like sour grapes that I don’t have a copy but that’s really not the case, I’m just curious about the point of it.

The set was intended to mark the acquisition of the NO catalogue's publisher rights by Universal Music in 2015: New Order Signs Worldwide Publishing Deal With Universal Music

Fairly certain these sets weren't produced to make money but were simply given away to industry insiders, A&R folk etc. A quantity ended up being resold on eBay, Discogs etc. Or perhaps a batch was never given out and made their way into sellers' hands through other means.

Like anything marked "Promotional Only" they were never really intended for Joe Public hence their ridiculous value nowadays when copies do surface.

Same with the JD one from 2007.

Edited by user 03 February 2021 10:50:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 03/02/2021(UTC), perspexorange on 03/02/2021(UTC), Fotz on 03/02/2021(UTC), negative1 on 03/02/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#28 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:05:27(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
Fairly certain these sets weren't produced to make money but were simply given away to industry insiders, A&R folk etc.

Apparently it got to the right hands, given the fair amount of Hollywood movies and/or ads that featured NO songs (i.e. Blue Monday) in recent years.
thanks 2 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
negative1 on 03/02/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#29 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:10:22(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I don't think it's specifically connected to that, Mr Disco. What's your first name? New Order have been used on loads of soundtracks. Sometimes they're even relevant.
NotAMod is probably right. A lot of artists do in-house bonuses, even McCartney with https://en.m.wikipedia.o...Stop_Doing_What_You_Love
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 03/02/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#30 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:18:18(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Agreed... it's a long shot, of course they've been on a lot of soundtracks through the years but there were a lot in the past 3 or 4 years. Ready Player #1, Atomic Blonde and the Wonder Woman trailer come to mind. A coincidence probably, but still...

My name's Paulo. Hi
perspexorange  
#31 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:26:50(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Hello Paulo! Hi

Just dropping into this thread to comment that this site has had a wonderful flurry of activity these last few days. Long may it continue! :-)
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 03/02/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC), M1 on 26/06/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#32 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:36:22(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post

The set was intended to mark the acquisition of the NO catalogue's publisher rights by Universal Music in 2015: New Order Signs Worldwide Publishing Deal With Universal Music

Fairly certain these sets weren't produced to make money but were simply given away to industry insiders, A&R folk etc. A quantity ended up being resold on eBay, Discogs etc. Or perhaps a batch was never given out and made their way into sellers' hands through other means.

Like anything marked "Promotional Only" they were never really intended for Joe Public hence their ridiculous value nowadays when copies do surface.

Same with the JD one from 2007.

Many thanks for the info, NotAmod. An informative and helpful post . I knew it had to be something a bit more than Monkhouse’s lazy and half arsed “ Money” theory.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#33 Posted : 03 February 2021 11:41:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
You're just jealous because I know so many interesting facts about the Spice Girls. Anyway, I was right in a way cos ultimately it's all about business innit. Why didn't they give me One, after all my useful contributions?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
negative1  
#34 Posted : 03 February 2021 13:46:36(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Hello Paulo! Hi

Just dropping into this thread to comment that this site has had a wonderful flurry of activity these last few days. Long may it continue! :-)

well, i discovered the neworder reddit, and there's the steve hoffman forum album thread,
and tons of discussions going on with new order.

every week, every month, there is news, new music, live streams, the boxset,

there has been more new order news and releases in the last year, than there
has been in a decade, at least to me.

that's why there's a discussion.

also, it's a good time to look back.

i haven't touched my new order stuff in a decade or two, so it's good to see what i actually have,
and finally add to it, and get all those releases i've meaning to get, but couldn't find, or afford.

you've been posting a lot of good topics too. that helps.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Mr. Disco  
#35 Posted : 26 May 2023 09:38:02(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

There's one going on eBay for £132

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125933572381
thanks 4 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/05/2023(UTC), Mike C. on 26/05/2023(UTC), M1 on 28/05/2023(UTC), contrique on 03/06/2023(UTC)
Fractured  
#36 Posted : 07 July 2023 21:42:28(UTC)
Fractured

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
ok, looking over this promo from 2016:

https://www.discogs.com/...ewOrder/release/10588672

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The audio mastering on individual tracks suggest that they have come from a variety of sources.

The instrumental version of "Waiting For The Sirens' Call" on CD 2 is the sole previously unreleased track here (to date). A Rich Costey instrumental mix of the song was released in 2005 on a CDr promo but the version here is different and based on the original album version.

[/code]

so most of the tracks aren't anything new.

This thread reminded me to look for the set and I recently picked it up. I am currently A-B testing the individual tracks against previous releases (Factory/Qwest/Rhino) and there are some unique masters on the second disc.

"The Beach" is in many respects similar to the "B.M. Instrumental Outtake" on the box set but fades earlier and is a considerably different mix. Individual elements are much more distinct here, more dynamic, making for a different listening experience. Since work on the box sets began around 2016, quite possibly this is unmastered, or mastered independently of the PCL box by different people.

Edited by user 08 July 2023 14:19:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked Fractured for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/07/2023(UTC), negative1 on 08/07/2023(UTC), perspexorange on 09/07/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 19/07/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#37 Posted : 09 July 2023 01:39:30(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Hmm. Would definitely be interested to hear that Beach variant and, indeed, anything else different on this compilation.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 09/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/07/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 19/07/2023(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#38 Posted : 19 July 2023 04:57:57(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Originally Posted by: Fractured Go to Quoted Post
"The Beach" is in many respects similar to the "B.M. Instrumental Outtake" on the box set but fades earlier and is a considerably different mix. Individual elements are much more distinct here, more dynamic, making for a different listening experience. Since work on the box sets began around 2016, quite possibly this is unmastered, or mastered independently of the PCL box by different people.

Could it be the same mix from the bonus CD on the 2008 two-disc reissue of PC&L?

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Hmm. Would definitely be interested to hear that Beach variant and, indeed, anything else different on this compilation.

Mine is still sealed, but a mate ripped the WFTSC instrumental for me... I'll try to get him to rip The Beach as well.

Edited by user 19 July 2023 14:45:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange on 19/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 19/07/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#39 Posted : 19 July 2023 12:34:00(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

This thread reminded me to look for the set and I recently picked it up. I am currently A-B testing the individual tracks against previous releases (Factory/Qwest/Rhino) and there are some unique masters on the second disc.

The Beach had an edit section that should be used in the master. The mix from the Britannia Row sessions isn't the final version/edit. That edit section doesn't exist on the analogue reels (as we found out) and the U-Matic with it on doesn't play anymore. For the recent reissue single we had to use an analogue production master reel.

I've no idea what they actually used for this set, it's probably some old transfer of the unfinished mix down (probably the same as the PCL Collector's Edition).

thanks 4 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 19/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 19/07/2023(UTC), Andy on 20/07/2023(UTC), negative1 on 20/07/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#40 Posted : 20 July 2023 08:42:30(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

The Beach had an edit section that should be used in the master. The mix from the Britannia Row sessions isn't the final version/edit. That edit section doesn't exist on the analogue reels (as we found out) and the U-Matic with it on doesn't play anymore. For the recent reissue single we had to use an analogue production master reel.

I've no idea what they actually used for this set, it's probably some old transfer of the unfinished mix down (probably the same as the PCL Collector's Edition).

Does this mean the only way to get the remastered version of the proper mix is by buying the re-released 12"?

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/07/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 21/07/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#41 Posted : 20 July 2023 13:25:26(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

Does this mean the only way to get the remastered version of the proper mix is by buying the re-released 12"?

Yes, that's the only source right now (and digital obviously).
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 20/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 21/07/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 21/07/2023(UTC)