logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
is it bro  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2020 05:44:40(UTC)
is it bro

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
What a tune. What a story. What a moment in time. Gazza. England. Semi final penalty shoot out heartache. But what a journey.

How World in Motion heralded England's leap out of the dark ages https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754501
thanks 3 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
perspexorange on 03/06/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2020(UTC), Rorschach on 04/06/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 07:35:50(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Ah, such great memories.

I've had conversations with other New Order fans about this particular song in the past, with them not liking the song and not understanding why I and others love it so much.

I think to fully appreciate the song back in the day (and it's resulting nostalgia, 30 years later), you had to be:

a) A New Order fan;
b) A football fan;
c) English;
d) Gripped by World Cup fever;
e) Living in England (or at least surrounded by fellow England supporters);
d) A youth / young adult in 1990, thoroughly enjoying life in Britain at the time - the music, the beer, the pleasures of another person's (or persons'!) company. Big Grin

Only then, can you fully embrace World In Motion as something truly special.

To have such a moment happen in your life and to have it soundtracked by your favourite band. I'll probably never experience anything similar ever again.

My one abiding memory of that Summer was watching England beat Cameroon in the Quarter-Finals. Then going into a pub that had giant video-jukebox screens playing 'World In Motion'. Everyone was singing and we were dancing on the tables.

Magnificent. It almost brings a tear to the eye.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2020(UTC), Rorschach on 04/06/2020(UTC)
The Shadow  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 07:52:35(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
In your list above you missed out ecstasy, a very important ingredient in those times
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2020(UTC)
lee  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 09:51:59(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Ah, such great memories.

I've had conversations with other New Order fans about this particular song in the past, with them not liking the song and not understanding why I and others love it so much.

I think to fully appreciate the song back in the day (and it's resulting nostalgia, 30 years later), you had to be:

a) A New Order fan;
b) A football fan;
c) English;
d) A youth / young adult in 1990, thoroughly enjoying life in Britain at the time - the music, the beer, the pleasures of another person's (or persons'!) company. Big Grin

To have such a moment happen in your life and to have it soundtracked by your favourite band. I'll probably never experience anything similar ever again.

My one abiding memory of that Summer was watching England beat Cameroon in the Quarter-Finals. Then going into a pub that had giant video-jukebox screens playing 'World In Motion'. Everyone was singing and we were dancing on the tables.

You've hit the nail on the head there

thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/06/2020(UTC)
lee  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 09:53:06(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
In your list above you missed out ecstasy, a very important ingredient in those times

So have youBig Grin
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
Fotz  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2020 10:15:13(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

a) A New Order fan;
b) A football fan;
c) English;

Yep, all of the above.We seemed to watch every England game of that World Cup in the pub and recall some great nights, especially David Platt's last minute of extra time volley that beat Belgium and then the nerve wracking quarter final against Cameroon.WIM would without fail be played in the pub after the final whistle and a mass singalong party got under way.

Another great memory is of being at the Hacienda one Saturday night around the start of that World Cup and dancing (and hearing for the first time) to the No Alla Violenza remix as the last track of the night and a mad and euphoric Hac dancefloor.

However, i get a bit tired of hearing the song these days, i'd sooner stick on Vindaloo! Bu yeah, around that time WIM was first released and World Cup 90 it was a great time to be young and English.

Oh and shout out too to the b-side Rolli Mossiman mix , love the extended version of that.It has a slightly different feel and vibe to the main version but equally great.

Not read that lengthy BBC article yet that the original poster linked to but will try to find the time.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.