logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

36 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#451 Posted : 23 March 2020 07:38:34(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
New audio interview with Bernard on Double J this morning.

He's in fine spirits and it's a nice interview:

https://www.abc.net.au/d...-bernard-sumner/12049558

The New Order segment starts at approximately 1 hour 3 minutes.

Enjoy!

She talks about the "5 tracks that made you".
Well earlier-period Iggy might have been relevant and Shades is a nice track, but I would suggest that all these tracks ('87 onwards) are post establishment of NO (and post entire lifespan of JD) and therefore none of them really "made" Bernard.
Also, that choice of David Morales' Hideaway from 2018 instead of the 1995 De'Lacy/Deep Dish version(s) is a travesty!

Bernard's a funny mixture of humility ("maybe we weren't that good, we were just being played at the time) and his old headstrong self.
He did well to remain polite as the interviewer repeatedly called the Chemical Brothers a Manchester band. I think Wikipedia may be responsible for that.
They did meet at Manchester Uni and shared a student house there, but they came from London/Henley and when they left Uni, they left Manchester.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/03/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#452 Posted : 23 March 2020 09:58:45(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Yeah. I'm guessing that, with the track selection, he mixed things up a little bit to keep it interesting.

I imagine he's been asked to contribute to similar discussions many times before and probably finds it boring to repeat himself with the same tracks over and over ('Ride A White Swan' / 'Voodoo Chile', being the first records he bought, 'Anarchy In The UK', 'Trans Europe Express', 'Warszawa' etc.).

'Twisted Tenderness' was a definite odd choice though. It hardly made him. He made it.

Maybe he was given a 'brief' prior to the programme which stated 'play some records that sum up you life and that you'd love to hear'.
Having never heard the programme before, it may be that guests do the same as Bernard each week.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Andy  
#453 Posted : 25 March 2020 08:38:51(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Bernard contributes to two tracks: BroadwayWorld.com

Force

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Debaser on 25/03/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#454 Posted : 25 March 2020 09:01:22(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)

Force

Congrats to Zach, if he's reading this. Following on from Tom Chapman who (I believe) used to occasionally visit NOOL in the old days, we now have another forum member getting to work with Bernard - on one of his own songs no less. An absolute thrill, I imagine.

The live footage at 2.09 is presumably taken from Zach's support slot at a New York NO gig a year or two back; NO's name clearly visible on the left of screen.

The face masks/covid19 stuff is very au courant but part of me wants to forget about that stuff during the five minutes of this track...

Well, speaking of new music and Covid19, if this isn't an ideal opportunity for Bernard and Co to make some new music in lieu of live gigs, I don't know what is. Have a word Zach!
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
negative1  
#455 Posted : 25 March 2020 13:46:56(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)

Force

i like the song.
but why is it featuring bernard,

i can't hear or tell if there is anything from him in it.

maybe background vocals.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#456 Posted : 25 March 2020 16:03:29(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Congrats, Zach!

Fantastic!
Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/03/2020(UTC)
is it bro  
#457 Posted : 29 March 2020 13:02:45(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Your Silent Face at the end of BT Sports Film “Golazzo” about Italian Football which was shown on channel 4 in thre nineties.

No other band does music to football as well as New Order.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/03/2020(UTC)
is it bro  
#458 Posted : 11 April 2020 13:48:17(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
A ventriloquist with an octopus, that had Simon Cowell’s head on, tonight was on Britain’s Got Talent. Then Blue Monday started playing.

What a bizarre scenario 😳
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/04/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#459 Posted : 14 April 2020 23:13:37(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
In final episode the other night of BBC drama The Nest, LWTUA cover by Susanna And The Magical Orchestra.Don't think i'd ever heard this version.From around 2006 apparently.Often find it interesting how hearing a cover version relights my appreciation of the song.I sometimes get fed up of hearing LWTUA but then i hear a good cover of it and i think, god, it is a bloody good song.Had to shazam this version when it came up in the episode.Though this cover maybe worked more effectively in the context of the scene in the drama.

Edited by user 14 April 2020 23:20:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/04/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#460 Posted : 22 April 2020 10:41:59(UTC)
Fotz

Sophie Ellis Bextor doing a cover of True Faith in her kitchen and surrounded by her numerous kids, anyone? Go to 12 minutes in

ROCKET MICK on 28/04/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#461 Posted : 22 April 2020 10:55:41(UTC)
perspexorange

She's still bloody lovely.

Met her once, before she was a household name. At a Monaco gig, coincidentally enough. She was the support (with 'The Audience').
We shared a moment; as our eyes met, our hearts beat as one.

True story...

Well, that's what I boast to my mates, anyway. I *may* have embellished the story a little.

We did exchange quite a few glances / smiles, over a half empty bar, though.
What could've been, eh?
Fotz  
#462 Posted : 22 April 2020 11:17:43(UTC)
Fotz

^ Wahey! Go on perspex lad, get in there! I've always kind of liked Sophie.She's alright i suppose, there's a lot worse people out there.At Reading 98 i remember me and my mate and bro walking past on of the marquees and theaudience were on.We stopped and watched for a few moments and weighed up going in but the crowd was too packed and we left it and moved on.I could see Sophie on stage in the distance and well, that's it really! That's the nearest i've ever come to seeing her.I liked some of her solo singles, think there was one or maybe two she did with Freemasons i think i recall quite liking.

Oh and i did love it when that Goovejet song she did beat Victoria bloody Beckham to number 1Smile
ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#463 Posted : 22 April 2020 12:14:11(UTC)
perspexorange

HaHa. Yep - she did beat Posh.

I absolutely loved that Groovejet song.
Also liked a handful of her solo songs and some of The Audience tracks.

And, man, she is very easy on the eye. That helps.
I reckon she is the wife of the 'sliding doors' version of perspexorange.

As regards Reading '98, I either didn't know The Audience were on or have completely forgotten.
Weirdly, it wasn't until about 3 or 4 years ago that I remembered Monaco were there. I know I watched them, but really can't remember anything about their set. The only thing that I think I remember was Hooky saying something along the lines of 'I've got to face you horrible lot twice today'.

My only clear memories of which other bands I watched at Reading '98 (I only went for the one day) were The Bluetones, The Divine Comedy, New Order and Garbage. Shirley Manson apologised at least a couple of times that they didn't have any 'killer' songs like New Order did. She was doing her band a disservice, but I can understand that it must've been pretty intimidating coming on after Bernard and crew.

Apparently, I also watched Shed 7 (according to my mate), which seems likely as I quite liked them at the time. Again, no recollection.

I blame the booze. It's always the booze.

Edited by user 22 April 2020 12:15:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotz  
#464 Posted : 22 April 2020 13:06:19(UTC)
Fotz

^ Yep, i'm sure it was Reading 98 where we walked past a marquee/tent where theaudience (always annoying how they had their name like that) were playing.If it wasn't Reading 98 then god knows.

I vaguely recall seeing the Monaco set on the Sunday afternoon but the only thing i remember is my brother sighing and saying "They're like a New Order reserve team" haha! I found it hard to disagree with him.New Order that night were immense and i do remember Garbage afterwards being totally flat and indeed a few weeks later hearing Shirley Manson say in an interview how difficult it had been for Garbage going on after them.Apart from a bit of Monaco, the great New Order set and a bit of Garbage afterwards i can't remember seeing any other band that day.Oh apart from theaudience from a distance for a few moments.I did though like a few Garbage tunes back in the day -Happy When It Rains and Stupid Girl, off the top of me head.

I don't know how i stumbled across Sophie's lockdown kitchen disco things on YouTube.Must have been one night recent after a few wines and down a YouTube rabbit hole.I do like her kitchen set up though- the smoke machine and disco ball.Maybe i'll look around on Amazon for smoke machines and disco balls and kit my kitchen out.Sophie's kids look like a whole bunch of fun though she loses points for marrying the bass player from The Feeling.I mean, come on, Sophie (had to be careful to include a comma there).You could have done so much better! The Feeling? nonono

Edited by user 22 April 2020 13:24:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#465 Posted : 22 April 2020 23:41:07(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
always annoying how they had their name like that

Tell me about it. I remember, back in the day, when 'TFI Friday' was on, they used to introduce the stars of the show each week at the start of the programme. They used to introduce 'The Audience' each week. For the first three weeks, I thought Sophie's band would be on and was surprised that they weren't. I then realised that the titles were referring to the studio audience. Always annoyed me after that.

I did though like a few Garbage tunes back in the day -Happy When It Rains and Stupid Girl, off the top of me head.

I liked Garbage quite a bit back in the day. Listened to the first LP a lot and even went to see them live around then (Apollo, Manchester). Although I liked the second LP and continued to buy all the singles from that period, my interest had started to wane. This was possibly around the time of Reading '98. Although I stayed to watch Garbage, they did seem a massive anti-climax after New Order. Fancy trying to follow a band that had just finished a festival set with crowd-pleaser 'World In Motion'. Bound to be tough.
New Order not being headliners was down to them being shifted from the Phoenix Festival (which went 'tits up'), I think. I guess they didn't want to upset Garbage by shifting them down the bill. Based on Shirley's reaction, they perhaps should've asked her. I have a feeling she felt a little intimidated.

I mean, come on, Sophie (had to be careful to include a comma there).

This made me laugh!. Thanks for that! Big Grin
Fotz  
#466 Posted : 23 April 2020 03:11:43(UTC)
Fotz

always annoying how they had their name like that

Tell me about it. I remember, back in the day, when 'TFI Friday' was on, they used to introduce the stars of the show each week at the start of the programme. They used to introduce 'The Audience' each week. For the first three weeks, I thought Sophie's band would be on and was surprised that they weren't. I then realised that the titles were referring to the studio audience. Always annoyed me after that.

Oh i see what you mean.Annoying.But then i often found Chris Evans annoying so nothing new there.

I liked Garbage quite a bit back in the day. Listened to the first LP a lot and even went to see them live around then (Apollo, Manchester). Although I liked the second LP and continued to buy all the singles from that period, my interest had started to wane. This was possibly around the time of Reading '98. Although I stayed to watch Garbage, they did seem a massive anti-climax after New Order. Fancy trying to follow a band that had just finished a festival set with crowd-pleaser 'World In Motion'. Bound to be tough.
New Order not being headliners was down to them being shifted from the Phoenix Festival (which went 'tits up'), I think. I guess they didn't want to upset Garbage by shifting them down the bill. Based on Shirley's reaction, they perhaps should've asked her. I have a feeling she felt a little intimidated.

For me, Garbage were one of those bands i was quite into for a couple of albums in the mid 90s then my interest completely dropped off and then years after i just thought they'd quit/split up but then saw something about them recently and they've still been releasing albums and brought another new one out last year or something.But my interest has gone.

Yeah i remember when Phoenix Festival 98 was announced and New Order were to be headliners.I was quite chuffed as the festival was held not far from me, about 30 miles away at Long Marston Airfield near Stratford Upon Avon.So it was near to me and i quickly snapped up a couple of tickets.Sadly of course, it was cancelled but at least NO were shifted to Reading 98 and we could use our tickets.We went to Phoenix Festival once or maybe even twice, memory a bit vague on that! I deffo remember going to the 1996 one.Strangely though, i only seem to recall catching the very end of any band's set any time we did go to the festival.Like we caught the last song, Unfinished Sympathy, of Massive Attack's set one year, then another time we caught the last song of Bjork's set and then one time we caught the last few notes of the Minty (weird avant garde 90s band) set.Odd that's all i remember.Oh and we got interviewed once by a Brazilian tv crew who were making a short film about British music festivals.No idea if our drunken responses ever made it on to Brazilian tv and i'll never know.Probably for the best i never saw it if it was ever broadcast.My drunken ramblings being broadcast on Brazilian national tv is something i think i'd prefer not to think about.

I mean, come on, Sophie (had to be careful to include a comma there).

This made me laugh!. Thanks for that! Big Grin

Tee hee, glad you liked it.
Michael Monkhouse  
#467 Posted : 24 April 2020 23:08:05(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Snooze Monday on a car ad.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#468 Posted : 25 April 2020 00:39:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Snooze Monday on a car ad.

Any idea which car? I quite like seeing ads withe bands music used in them.
Jul  
#469 Posted : 28 April 2020 09:53:54(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Unknown Pleasures on one of the jackets. Also looks like Substance logo on the back. Also I'm apparently still too thick to link youbetyoube videos correctly.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Sff7Kc77QAY[/YOUTUBE]

RTJ

thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.
Andy  
#470 Posted : 28 April 2020 10:32:23(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)

NewOrder.Com
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
In A Noisy Place  
#471 Posted : 29 April 2020 01:42:16(UTC)
In A Noisy Place

Was thanked: 445 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jul Go to Quoted Post
Unknown Pleasures on one of the jackets. Also looks like Substance logo on the back. Also I'm apparently still too thick to link youbetyoube videos correctly.

RTJ

It's a Raf Simons jacket...

thanks 2 users thanked In A Noisy Place for this useful post.
Jul on 29/04/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/04/2020(UTC)
Jul  
#472 Posted : 29 April 2020 10:00:01(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Originally Posted by: In A Noisy Place Go to Quoted Post

RTJ

It sure didn't look oversized in the video.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/04/2020(UTC)
In A Noisy Place  
#473 Posted : 29 April 2020 23:52:44(UTC)
In A Noisy Place

Was thanked: 445 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: In A Noisy Place Go to Quoted Post

RTJ

It sure didn't look oversized in the video.

LoL

thanks 1 user thanked In A Noisy Place for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/05/2020(UTC)
Sage_  
#474 Posted : 10 May 2020 01:02:42(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
7 News using Stray Dog instrumental as background music while talking about the corona virus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7QbenhxhKs
thanks 1 user thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#475 Posted : 02 June 2020 05:22:20(UTC)
perspexorange

This seems to be doing the rounds at the moment.

Looks official and, if so, it's another big exposure for the band's material (although sadly, it's an acoustic cover):

Between this and 'Wonder Woman 1984', it looks like New Order are hitting the big time.
(If anyone doesn't know, the game featured, 'The Last Of Us Part 2', is a AAA game. Highly anticipated.)

Edit - By the looks of the clip, it seems that the song will feature fairly prominently in the game. You can see one of the two lead characters (Ellie) playing guitar and singing along to the song, so it seems likely that this will be in the game at some point.

Edited by user 02 June 2020 05:32:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2020(UTC)