logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keepitcoming  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2018 00:06:34(UTC)
keepitcoming

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Ok ,some may be offended ,but I don't care .
After seeing another magazine book in the grocery store about Tom Petty, I have to comment .
Hooky started singing on movement ,I think, and came back I thought on Fine Time , but it was Bernard. Then Revenge happened and he sang magnificently ,unlike third rate poseurs like petty and Billy Corgan to name a few, and thanks to Andy ,who does stalwart work for this site , and posted about Corgan on another thread, and reminded me of the show where someone, not me ,threw a shoe at corgan, well it was bliss.
Then I read an old Mojo , and Bernard remembered a guy interested in singing for NO after Ian died, but Bernard said the guy liked Steely Dan so no way. What a great story ,unless you like Steely Dan.'
So back to Hooky -- he writes songs that are still wonderful , and guess what ?
My playlist for Tom Petty is Zero, Springsteen - one ,I'm on fire , Sir Reggie the candle up the butt guy , maybe 6 songs, but bernie tampon deserves credit ,too . And how about Queen, I guess i have to maybe get a best of disk and decide if I want to burn the overbite's songs .
In other words , Hooky and his solo career has given the world more great songs than 4 icons of overratedness, to make few .
Just his song Marine ,from Monaco, is better than most attempts by numerous other silly bands,
More on the Mojo article later, loads of great words about The Get Ready sessions, and our heroes, at least they better be ,because the Smashing Pumkins sure aren't
PS - when new order is over, and done there had better be a lot of magazine books in grocery stores about everyone , including Gillian ,Tom, Phil, and by the way why is not Ian so rewarded ,he is a thousand million times better than Tom flipping petty
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/08/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2018 06:33:26(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I like a bit of positivity, but I'm afraid a lot of this is not borne out historically.
The Light always give a fine gig, but you can't honestly rate Hooky as singer or songwriter. Revenge is easily the worst LP to come out of this camp - at least the Other Two manage the occasional gem - and while GWP and M4P are strong, I'm convinced that's largely Pottsy's work. Even superegotistical Hooky admitted One True Passion was rushed because he just wanted to gig, and the reviews were atrocious. Monaco was good but MOR, à la Freebass.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2018(UTC), 79order on 25/02/2019(UTC)
Spittingcat  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2018 22:19:53(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
A well put together "Hooky Solo Works & Collaborations" compilation album would be better than any New Order compilation that only contains work after Technique. He's done nothing worth commenting on for so long now though. Shame. Perhaps he knows he can't begin to match Music Complete as a complete album. I'd like him to try though.

Quote:
I'm convinced that's largely Pottsy's work.

I'm not. Do you have his solo album? Fun, but nothing close to the standard, and interest, of the second Monoco album.

Agreed that Freebass was very MoR… wrong singer… still enjoyed much of it though.

Anyway, love the stuff done with Hybrid, Crystal Method… etc.

Edited by user 06 August 2018 22:28:36(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy up

thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2018 03:38:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spittingcat Go to Quoted Post
Do you have his solo album? Fun, but nothing close to the standard, and interest, of the second Monoco album.

Didn't bother, but it must be better than Revenge.
There are loads of great offshoots and one-offs. http://forums.neworderon...osts&m=9464#post9464
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2018(UTC), Spittingcat on 09/08/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2018 21:29:55(UTC)
keepitcoming

One of the fun things is to intersperse those 90's songs into several cd's of about 15 songs each .Being a Luddite when it comes to playlists ,streaming and random play is too impersonal.I would rather have tangible physical things . So putting some great E Electronic songs with some Monaco songs ,and the God forsaken Revenge songs ( ok ,start with one), and add a dab of TOTAY ( i found one ,hurray,), and some normal pleasant songs from NO ,such as Republic , et voila, a never-ending story , a myriad of possibilities , the band that goes on forever ,pleasing , propelling one to further ecstasy, nirvana, and bliss..
Other news, Nick Mason ,see new Mojo, is prepping for a tour of early PF ,with Barrett songs, and early songs ,perhaps up to DSOTM. How about them Apple's and oranges.
And before I sleep, I must announce that I think I have found an action figure to represent Bernard- it is a 12" Ken doll in a white jumpsuit ,with Texas A and M logo, all it needs is the veritas deer/dog and a falling leaf ,and he will seduce catwoman, thrash villians like the joker, and whack all those dreadful wrestling heroes filling up Wal-Mart shelf space. Ah what a wonderful world, an eternity of New Order and Pink Floyd, cheers
We're like kestrels
keepitcoming  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2018 22:17:24(UTC)
keepitcoming

Gosh ,I completely forgot to mention an Ian McCulloch song, either Toad or Fear of the Known, he sings "optimismism ,dead but never sung" , he is so optimistic, likeable , and positive, but I wish he would try chantrix to stop smoking
Also , I thought they all wrote songs together, no one claiming ownership, but if not ,then Bernard is the best ,better than P Simon, B Dylan , JLennon , and P Mccartney, but if they share credit on all songs ,then Danny Kirwan takes top honors for most nice,pretty ,interesting and beautiful songs
We're like kestrels
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2018 16:06:03(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
Hooky still co-owns the Factory Club in Manchester doesn't he? Well he does if THIS is still accurate.

I'm pretty sure bouncers are meant to restrain and manage difficult patrons, as opposed to thumping someone in an 8 on 1 situation. I suspect the 'thumpee' was causing trouble, but I'm not convinced that this is how to handle him:

**EDIT** Factory have just posted this on their twitter:

Click pic for full statement
full version of statement

Edited by user 02 December 2018 16:21:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
tapebias  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2018 01:51:51(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
This 'FAC' club is well known for a history of door violence. Its a student venue, nothing to do with Factory ethos and run by a nightclub group with Hooky/FAC as the brand.

No doubt Hooky will write another book it, 'How not to run a club, Part 2'. Or release a JD/NO orchestral backing track to the video with Bez 'n' Rowetta. All proceeds to the victims of course.

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Hooky still co-owns the Factory Club in Manchester doesn't he? Well he does if THIS is still accurate.

I'm pretty sure bouncers are meant to restrain and manage difficult patrons, as opposed to thumping someone in an 8 on 1 situation. I suspect the 'thumpee' was causing trouble, but I'm not convinced that this is how to handle him:

**EDIT** Factory have just posted this on their twitter:

Click pic for full statement
full version of statement

thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2018 07:25:55(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post
run by a nightclub group with Hooky/FAC as the brand.
Yeah that's the impression I got. Doesn't look like he does any day-to-day stuff.

Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post

No doubt Hooky will write another book it, 'How not to run a club, Part 2'. Or release a JD/NO orchestral backing track to the video with Bez 'n' Rowetta. All proceeds to the victims of course.

Very good! Are you Hooky's manager?

The story has made it to the front page of the BBC News website today.
I think they're referring to the guy that we see hitting the ground right at the start of the clip (he doesn't get up again) rather than the guy who got thumped for most of the video. Bleeding on the brain is NOT good.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/12/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2018 10:42:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3446 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Absolutely horrific.

It sounds like the two victims are probably going to be ok, but this could easily have led to at least one fatality.
It also sounds like the Police are acting swiftly. Bloody good job.

As others have said, I imagine Hooky is just a 'figurehead' for the club and not having much to do with the running of it (unlike the Haç).
However, I'm sure he is absolutely horrified by this, like anyone viewing the footage.

I do feel for Hooky; this is not something that you want attached to your name.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
tapebias  
#11 Posted : 03 December 2018 12:41:14(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
The current security firm (contract now terminated) were employed as the previous security firm were removed due to using excessive force. FAC251 is well known locally for violent door staff.

If P.Hooky wanted to make a statement he could get more involved or walk away but as long as the money keeps rolling in......
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2018 02:23:03(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I like a bit of positivity, but I'm afraid a lot of this is not borne out historically.
The Light always give a fine gig, but you can't honestly rate Hooky as singer or songwriter. Revenge is easily the worst LP to come out of this camp - at least the Other Two manage the occasional gem - and while GWP and M4P are strong, I'm convinced that's largely Pottsy's work. Even superegotistical Hooky admitted One True Passion was rushed because he just wanted to gig, and the reviews were atrocious. Monaco was good but MOR, à la Freebass.

STOP THAT IT'S SILLY !

Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2019 19:13:51(UTC)
keepitcoming

I remember on the revenge song Peter sang "It was just a long forgotten feeling", and i liked that voice-a thousand times more than r plant, f mercury, ,or Sting or T Petty or more modern similars.

More important though is the claypool lennon version of Court of the Crimson King- after a couple of listens by old KC last week i had decided that in another 50 years i might try it again, and holy moly the 6 minute CLD version is way more awesome and fun .so why not Peter Hook try getting with the new world music of psychedelia- CLD, Porcupines, Panda or Grizzly Bear, Eno, and the myriad others i should know of but it takes time .
So, listen up New Order. Make friends with Panda and / or Eno , go to Brixton Electric 19th April. Do you want your kids listening to Bieber and swift and kanye drake bruno music instead .Make a sonic superspectacular for the ages ,Peter ..Hooky, make it happen ,make Bernard rueful that he wasn't first, then he will have to get busy and we will have later , as a result
THE psychedelicious and cosmically wonderful 4 cd blast-o-sonic, life changing ,soothing New Order sound , with choral wizardry from the pole star zipline rainbow in curved air toward the divine
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 11/03/2019(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2019 03:04:47(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

What are you bleating on about?

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Ok ,some may be offended ,but I don't care .
After seeing another magazine book in the grocery store about Tom Petty, I have to comment .
Hooky started singing on movement ,I think, and came back I thought on Fine Time , but it was Bernard. Then Revenge happened and he sang magnificently ,unlike third rate poseurs like petty and Billy Corgan to name a few, and thanks to Andy ,who does stalwart work for this site , and posted about Corgan on another thread, and reminded me of the show where someone, not me ,threw a shoe at corgan, well it was bliss.
Then I read an old Mojo , and Bernard remembered a guy interested in singing for NO after Ian died, but Bernard said the guy liked Steely Dan so no way. What a great story ,unless you like Steely Dan.'
So back to Hooky -- he writes songs that are still wonderful , and guess what ?
My playlist for Tom Petty is Zero, Springsteen - one ,I'm on fire , Sir Reggie the candle up the butt guy , maybe 6 songs, but bernie tampon deserves credit ,too . And how about Queen, I guess i have to maybe get a best of disk and decide if I want to burn the overbite's songs .
In other words , Hooky and his solo career has given the world more great songs than 4 icons of overratedness, to make few .
Just his song Marine ,from Monaco, is better than most attempts by numerous other silly bands,
More on the Mojo article later, loads of great words about The Get Ready sessions, and our heroes, at least they better be ,because the Smashing Pumkins sure aren't
PS - when new order is over, and done there had better be a lot of magazine books in grocery stores about everyone , including Gillian ,Tom, Phil, and by the way why is not Ian so rewarded ,he is a thousand million times better than Tom flipping petty

ROCKET MICK on 14/03/2019(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2019 03:06:53(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

I will listen to the Clangers opinion from now on.

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
I remember on the revenge song Peter sang "It was just a long forgotten feeling", and i liked that voice-a thousand times more than r plant, f mercury, ,or Sting or T Petty or more modern similars.

More important though is the claypool lennon version of Court of the Crimson King- after a couple of listens by old KC last week i had decided that in another 50 years i might try it again, and holy moly the 6 minute CLD version is way more awesome and fun .so why not Peter Hook try getting with the new world music of psychedelia- CLD, Porcupines, Panda or Grizzly Bear, Eno, and the myriad others i should know of but it takes time .
So, listen up New Order. Make friends with Panda and / or Eno , go to Brixton Electric 19th April. Do you want your kids listening to Bieber and swift and kanye drake bruno music instead .Make a sonic superspectacular for the ages ,Peter ..Hooky, make it happen ,make Bernard rueful that he wasn't first, then he will have to get busy and we will have later , as a result
THE psychedelicious and cosmically wonderful 4 cd blast-o-sonic, life changing ,soothing New Order sound , with choral wizardry from the pole star zipline rainbow in curved air toward the divine

ROCKET MICK on 14/03/2019(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#16 Posted : 16 March 2019 20:01:59(UTC)
keepitcoming

I will now rant about how Bernard and NO are the most phenomenal electrotech grooving psychedelic band of all time , and if they did something like the Residents GingerbreadMan i would not mind ,or if they had a long fling with eno
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 17/03/2019(UTC)
Midnight Blue  
#17 Posted : 24 April 2019 05:51:33(UTC)
Midnight Blue

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 71 post(s)
from NME:

Peter Hook has announced two special shows which will celebrate the music of Joy Division, with the band’s two albums, ‘Unknown Pleasures’ and ‘Closer’, set to be performed in full.

Hook, who played bass in Joy Division during their four years together, is putting on the two special gigs next year with his band, Peter Hook & the Light – who will celebrate ten years together in 2020.

Titled ‘An Evening with Peter Hook & The Light – Joy Division: A Celebration’, the shows are part of Hook’s 40th anniversary celebrations for both Joy Division albums: ‘Unknown Pleasures’ will turn 40 in June, while ‘Closer’ will reach the milestone in July 2020.

The gigs, which will take place at the O2 Academy Brixton in London on May 15, 2020 and in Manchester at the O2 Apollo on May 16, 2020, will also feature Hook and his band performing “an opening set of New Order material” on both nights.

The two shows will help raise money for the charities CALM and the Epilepsy Society, both in memory of the late Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis.

Peter Hook & The Light will perform the New Order albums ‘Technique’ and ‘Republic’ in full on tour this September – check out their tour schedule below.

September
12 – Dolans, Limerick
13 – Academy, Dublin
14 – Limelight, Belfast
19 – Queens Hall, Edinburgh
20 – Middlesbrough Town Hall, Middlesbrough
21 – Assembly, Leamington Spa

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 24 April 2019 05:57:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Midnight Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/04/2019(UTC), CuanaD on 01/07/2019(UTC)
Andy  
#18 Posted : 21 November 2019 11:50:53(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Tweet

Still awaiting a reply...
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2019(UTC)
Coops  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2020 03:51:09(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Quick question, are people still dead angry at Hooky or has that subsided now?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/01/2020(UTC)
50poundnote  
#20 Posted : 03 January 2020 08:09:02(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 923 time(s) in 515 post(s)
I'm not angry at Hooky, I just lost all respect for him.

I'm more angry at people who are shrieking "IT'S NOT NEW ORDER WITHOUT HOOKY!!1!" 13 years after he quit the band.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/01/2020(UTC), Rorschach on 04/01/2020(UTC)
LostSiren  
#21 Posted : 04 January 2020 09:03:03(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
I only recently read Substance and it mellowed me out to ward Hooky a good bit. I mean, I kinda wish I never read the book to begin with - it changed a lot of the image I had of them – but clearly he felt Bernard was pretty selfish and there must be some kernel of truth to it, especially how hurt the other three were with Bernard's rewriting of Republic.
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2020(UTC)
Andy  
#22 Posted : 04 January 2020 10:12:11(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LostSiren Go to Quoted Post
I only recently read Substance and it mellowed me out to ward Hooky a good bit. I mean, I kinda wish I never read the book to begin with - it changed a lot of the image I had of them – but clearly he felt Bernard was pretty selfish and there must be some kernel of truth to it, especially how hurt the other three were with Bernard's rewriting of Republic.

I see it as the band initially finding success from stubbornly doing things (and often refusing to do things) their way. Their deal with Factory allowed them to make money from fewer record sales than if on a major label. Once Bernard began steering the ship with more input into the musical direction and writing the lion's share of lyrics, he gained more control. After the success of Electronic dwarfing that of the others projects, the fate was sealed: More often than not, If Bernard didn't get his way, he would not play ball.

I sympathize with both. Hooky missed the days of having more influence in the direction of the band (I don't believe it was ever truly a democracy). Bernard's stubbornness was just him doing what made the band successful in the first place.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2020(UTC)
Coops  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2020 04:59:44(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I got pretty sick of Hooky for a while, mostly for his constant outbursts online or in print media. It made him look like a twat and even though Bernard saying pretty much nothing doesn't mean he can't be a twat it was so one-sided Bernard won the 'battle' by default.

Since then, meh, you can't argue Peter Hook & The Light don't do good gigs, fantastic even, and I never subscribed to the view that he shouldn't be doing the gigs he's doing. Why is doing a tour promoting a new album/single for cash less cynical than the album gigs PH&TL do? Particularly since every frigger does the album anniversary shows now, even Primal fucking Scream. Listen to the music, buy a t-shirt, thanks very much.

But I do get the sense he's still hurting about it all.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2020(UTC)