logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2019 04:30:39(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I've just got around to uploading some of my rarer New Order / Factory clips to YouTube and thought I'd share.

I've never seen these online before, so there's a reasonable chance that you lot 'might' not have seen them.

I transferred these from my VHS tapes a couple of years ago. The tapes had degraded somewhat so some of the recordings are pretty shoddy, but they're still very watchable.

I may post some more, if I spot some other rare clips (and providing the clips mentioned above aren't pulled down for copyright reasons).

Here's my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/perspexorange

Hope somebody finds something relatively interesting there.

PS As I've said above, some of my tapes were quite badly degraded. If any of you guys have anything rare on tape, I'd advise you to get these transferred asap before they get any worse and share the love.
I transferred mine using this gadget. It wasn't perfect, but it did the job (there's probably better / newer models available now):

https://www.amazon.co.uk...s=electronics&sr=1-1

Edited by user 08 December 2019 09:51:39(UTC)  | Reason: Deserves to be a Sticky.

thanks 7 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 06/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/12/2019(UTC), The Shadow on 06/12/2019(UTC), Andy on 06/12/2019(UTC), Col72 on 06/12/2019(UTC), Jul on 19/12/2019(UTC), CuanaD on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
Andy  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2019 10:41:44(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
I subscribed.
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
perspexorange on 06/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2019(UTC)
Andy  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:11:34(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
My favourite clip is Paris '87 one. You might consider putting True Faith in the description/title for more "views".

Seeing it takes me back to my first New Order gig a few months before it (although my memories are in colour). I doubt I'm not the only one that would like them to revert back to this arrangement as the Perfecto one is getting long in the tooth.

Bonus: There's a great bit of Barney dancing after he loses the guitar towards the end.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:15:09(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks, Andy I really appreciate it. šŸ˜Š

Feel the need to try and dig out some other gems now.

I know Revenge isnā€™t everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but those two interviews have got to be rarer than rocking horse poo. šŸ˜

That ā€˜87 Sky Channel interview with Hooky and Steve has got to be fairly uncommon too.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Andy on 06/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2019 11:21:33(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
My favourite clip is Paris '87 one. You might consider putting True Faith in the description/title for more "views".

Seeing it takes me back to my first New Order gig a few months before it (although my memories are in colour). I doubt I'm not the only one that would like them to revert back to this arrangement as the Perfecto one is getting long in the tooth.

Bonus: There's a great bit of Barney dancing after he loses the guitar towards the end.

I think youā€™re right - Iā€™ll change the description. Still not used to this YouTube malarkey.

Count me in as somebody whoā€™s cheesed off with the Perfecto mix of True Faith. Iā€™d love them to revert back to the classic sound.

Talking of which, although I liked the Hague mix of TF (itā€™s what got me into the band), I much prefer the live versions from that period. Steveā€™s live drums are what makes that song.
Just superb.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2019 12:56:45(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
The version of True Faith as played live '87-'93 really does sound immense, doesn't it? I miss a lot of little keyboard details that aren't in the Perfecto mix.

Edited by user 06 December 2019 12:57:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2019 16:46:06(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Awesome! The ET clip is too funny, with Leeza Gibbons somehow saying Jethro Tull made New Order possible. Huh?
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2019 02:40:37(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: LostSiren Go to Quoted Post
Awesome! The ET clip is too funny, with Leeza Gibbons somehow saying Jethro Tull made New Order possible. Huh?

Yep. Bizarre!

Bernard is strangely prophetic in that clip, with 'alternative' music definitely becoming the mainstream a year or so later (think the whole Britpop era).

Fotzepolitic  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2019 12:37:26(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Some rare clips there, P.Thanks for sharing.Had never seen those.

Be wary of uploading to YouTube, there's a high chance others will rip your upload and re upload it on their own channel and claim it as a rare find they've uncovered themselves.Or a particular Viking that posts the YouTube link on their Twitter without acknowledging the original source and take the credit for your work.Call me cynical but be careful - there's some real lazy bastards out there, eager to take credit and acclaim for others work.

Edited by user 07 December 2019 12:44:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2019 03:41:39(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Some rare clips there, P.Thanks for sharing.Had never seen those.

Be wary of uploading to YouTube, there's a high chance others will rip your upload and re upload it on their own channel and claim it as a rare find they've uncovered themselves.Or a particular Viking that posts the YouTube link on their Twitter without acknowledging the original source and take the credit for your work.Call me cynical but be careful - there's some real lazy bastards out there, eager to take credit and acclaim for others work.

Thatā€™d be a bit annoying. To be honest, though, I mainly posted just so that others could get to see them.

Still, it would be nice to have a little bit of love on the channel
I have seen a couple of people post the lyrics to Gillianā€™s bit on Doubts Even Here on Facebook (or similar).
I know Iā€™m possibly not the first person to work out exactly what they were, but considering nowhere on the internet had them before I posted my video, it seems likely theyā€™d viewed my vid. Wouldā€™ve been nice for those people to link to the video itself. (Especially considering, with my rubbish editing skills, how much effort it took for me to sync the lyrics).

Still, I donā€™t really mind. As long as somebody found it interesting. Smile

I still kind of want to do another ā€˜projectā€™ like that one or the ā€˜Donā€™t Do Itā€™ / ā€˜Murderā€™ samples videos. So, if anyone has a good suggestion, just let me know.

Rorschach on 08/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 19/12/2019(UTC)
NotAMod  
#11 Posted : 08 December 2019 09:21:56(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Can't think of a better candidate for a sticky post (I.e. at the top of the forum).

Good for fans to a) see this stuff and b) contribute if they can.

Perspex, feel free to update the title if you wish.

Cheers.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
perspexorange on 08/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 08 December 2019 09:58:05(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for this. šŸ˜€
Title changed.

Iā€™ve uploaded a few more videos today and have a few more from my old VHS tapes that Iā€™ll upload over the next few days.
Iā€™ve had to edit a few to remove any promo videos as they continually get automatically blocked.
If anyone actually wants the full clips, just PM me. Same goes for anyone who wants anything specific that Iā€™ve not already posted. I have a tonne of clips and am happy to share.

Would be great for others to post stuff here too. Iā€™m always on the lookout for ā€˜newā€™ stuff and suspect that weā€™ve all got little gems tucked away on either old tapes or hard-drives.
ROCKET MICK on 11/12/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 14/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#13 Posted : 13 December 2019 10:43:03(UTC)
perspexorange

Just posted a few more videos:

1 x 15 minute interview with the band from MTV's 'Post-Modern' programme from May / June 1993;
2 x 3 minute Electronic interviews;
1 x Revenge performance of '& Reasons on German TV;
1 x short clip of Hooky and others (Gloria Estefan, Luthor Vandross etc.) commenting on Michael Jackson. *

* I think this was round about the time that the Jordan Chandler allegations about MJ first came out (August 1993).

Enjoy!

Rorschach on 14/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2019 05:55:26(UTC)
perspexorange

OK. I've just posted a few more:

2 x Electronic interviews (one very brief)
2 x The Other Two interviews
1 x Barney interview (again, very brief)
1 x regional programme (Close Up North) which features an interview with Tony and a chat with Hooky and Rob over breakfast (!)
1 x end credits to a TV series that featured music by Revenge (actually Monaco, before the name change)
1 x real oddity - a news article about New Order being online with CompuServe (!) in June 1994.

That's about it for the "rare" clips that I have transferred from my personal video tape collection.
The rest of the stuff I have is stuff I've either got off others or I've downloaded from YouTube etc. (so you've possibly seen all these before).
So, I probably won't be posting anything else for a little while (unless I can think of anything that might be of interest).

I hope you guys at least found some of these vids interesting.

Best,

C

Edited by user 15 December 2019 06:42:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC), CuanaD on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#15 Posted : 15 December 2019 06:38:40(UTC)
Fotz

Thanks, p.

Had a browse through a selection of some of your latest uploads.

I remember now that tv show The Big Trip.Kind of a show about young people backpacking i recall.I guess it was late 90s when i used to watch it and i remember thinking oh that music must be Revenge or something.I didn't buy Monaco's Music For Pleasure til about 2000! So didn't know the track Junk before then but recognised it as being the one i'd heard on The Trip or an updated version of it.

Liked the Other Two interview clips on the set of recording the Selfish video.Was that Hammersmith Apollo it was recorded at? I heard Hammersmith mentioned.Steve looking funny , and possibly a bit hot and bothered, in his gorilla suit and Gillian looking beautiful.She mentions in this clip again like she did in another clip that the song is partly adressed to a certain person and that person knows who she is but we never find out who of course!

Is that presenter on the Compu Serve clip Lisa I'Anson ? (90s Radio 1 DJ) Yep an odd little item.

I vaguely remember seeing some of those MTV clips (like the Other Two Selfish vid interview one)around 1993 but didn't record them.I think i even saw that Barney one where he talks about what the lyrics to Regret are about around the time of Reading 93 but of course that was probably a repeat from April 93 as MTV were always repeating stuff.Interesting to hear Barney explain what the Regret lyrics are about, wanting to get back to a "normal" life after years in a "rock" band etc.

Edited by user 15 December 2019 06:44:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 15/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC)
Fotz  
#16 Posted : 15 December 2019 06:57:31(UTC)
Fotz

That's weird. Somehow i posted that under an old login that i lost the password to ages ago.When i logged in i thought it said it was under my current username.Dunno what happened there.

EDIT: it's done it again.It says i'm logged in as Fotzepolitic but the post says my username is my old one, The Singing Detective.I seem unable to change it to Fotzepolitic.Oh well nevermind.

Edited by user 15 December 2019 06:59:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2019 07:12:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks, p.

Had a browse through a selection of some of your latest uploads.

I remember now that tv show The Big Trip.Kind of a show about young people backpacking i recall.I guess it was late 90s when i used to watch it and i remember thinking oh that music must be Revenge or something.I didn't buy Monaco's Music For Pleasure til about 2000! So didn't know the track Junk before then but recognised it as being the one i'd heard on The Trip or an updated version of it.

Liked the Other Two interview clips on the set of recording the Selfish video.Was that Hammersmith Apollo it was recorded at? I heard Hammersmith mentioned.Steve looking funny , and possibly a bit hot and bothered, in his gorilla suit and Gillian looking beautiful.She mentions in this clip again like she did in another clip that the song is partly adressed to a certain person and that person knows who she is but we never find out who of course!

Is that presenter on the Compu Serve clip Lisa I'Anson ? (90s Radio 1 DJ) Yep an odd little item.

I vaguely remember seeing some of those MTV clips (like the Other Two Selfish vid interview one)around 1993 but didn't record them.I think i even saw that Barney one where he talks about what the lyrics to Regret are about around the time of Reading 93 but of course that was probably a repeat from April 93 as MTV were always repeating stuff.Interesting to hear Barney explain what the Regret lyrics are about, wanting to get back to a "normal" life after years in a "rock" band etc.

Thanks for the positive comments, Fotzepolitic (or Singing Detective ;-) !)

Yep, The Big Trip was about young, hipster types back-packing around the world, probably all paid for the BBC (I'm such a cynic!).

I seem to think that, when the Monaco LP came out, I recognised 'Junk' but couldn't place exactly where I'd heard it. It was only in later years that I realised where.

MTV did really reuse and reuse their clips, didn't they? The interviews that the band gave in Rome around the release of 'Regret' seemed to appear on every New Order related item for a year or so.
One thing that used to annoy me about those clips they used was the fact that they used to use different ones in each 'news bulletin'. You'd end up seeing one clip at lunch time and you'd get your VHS ready for the tea-time bulletin to record it and you'd get a completely different clip (or, even more annoying, nothing at all). The collector in me got mildly vexed that I was 'missing' clips.

This is what makes me think there are tonnes of clips out there that we haven't seen; all the various MTV news bulletins.

Yep, Steve does look a trifle uncomfortable in his gorilla suit. And you're right, Gillian does look lovely. It's funny, at the time, the short hair didn't do too much for me (as Ms Gilbert's biggest admirer) but, in hindsight, I think it kind of suited her.
I can't remember where the video was shot, but Hammersmith Apollo seems possible (and familiar).

Yep. That's Lisa I'Anson. She was a familiar face on MTV Europe around then. We got Sky late 1992 / early 1993 and I seemed to spend a lot of time taping New Order clips from MTV in 1993. Although, there was a lot of repetition in shows, I rather liked MTV Europe back in the day. Shows like 120 Minutes & Post-Modern were great and I discovered a few bands watching them.

I didn't have a computer in 1993, so have no real idea what CompuServe looked like. I'm guessing it was some sort of photo-internet thingie.

perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 15 December 2019 07:13:42(UTC)
perspexorange

That's weird. Somehow i posted that under an old login that i lost the password to ages ago.When i logged in i thought it said it was under my current username.Dunno what happened there.

EDIT: it's done it again.It says i'm logged in as Fotzepolitic but the post says my username is my old one, The Singing Detective.I seem unable to change it to Fotzepolitic.Oh well nevermind.

Weirdly, when I quoted you above, it's put your correct name.
Wax  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2019 07:23:52(UTC)
Wax

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Just watched the Post Modern interview.

Did anyone get the vibe that Steve was annoyed with Bernard the whole time? Especially the slight about "the 2 Brats." Gillian didn't say much and Hooky didn't seem irritable or anything.
thanks 1 user thanked Wax for this useful post.
Fotz  
#20 Posted : 16 December 2019 08:15:45(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Wax Go to Quoted Post
Just watched the Post Modern interview.

Did anyone get the vibe that Steve was annoyed with Bernard the whole time? Especially the slight about "the 2 Brats." Gillian didn't say much and Hooky didn't seem irritable or anything.

I just watched it. Not sure that Steve was pissed off with Bernard the whole time but maybe that bit when Bernard tells him heā€™s wrong after Steve says about there being two places called Seattle. I didnā€™t follow that or what the joke was and canā€™t make out what Bernard says . I couldnā€™t make out what is being said apart from Steve saying thereā€™s 2 Seattleā€™s . I guess itā€™s some joke as thereā€™s only 1 Seattle as far as I know but Iā€™m happy to be told otherwise.

The ā€œ2 bratsā€ thing was actually ā€œ 2 Brettsā€ . They were talking about Brett Anderson of Suede. It was a joke about if they found another Brett they could form a band called the 2 Bretts. Bernard had pointed out thereā€™s a Bernard in suede , think Steve says they could form a band called the 2 Bernards.
Debaser  
#21 Posted : 16 December 2019 09:56:10(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)

I just watched it. Not sure that Steve was pissed off with Bernard the whole time but maybe that bit when Bernard tells him heā€™s wrong after Steve says about there being two places called Seattle. I didnā€™t follow that or what the joke was and canā€™t make out what Bernard says . I couldnā€™t make out what is being said apart from Steve saying thereā€™s 2 Seattleā€™s . I guess itā€™s some joke as thereā€™s only 1 Seattle as far as I know but Iā€™m happy to be told otherwise.

There are two Washingtons: State and DC
Seattle is in Washington State. I'm guessing that's the joke.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#22 Posted : 16 December 2019 12:50:19(UTC)
perspexorange

It's been a few years since I've seen all this stuff.
Mad really - I transferred it all a couple of years ago, but didn't get around to watching it all.

Having said that I probably wouldn't be uploading any more stuff for a while, I've just added a new one.

It's a segment from the 'New Order Sunday' event that MTV Europe had on 16/05/93.
Basically, this event was split into three segments, IIRC:

1) An hour's worth of NO vids (inc. adverts);
2) 'New Order: Past, Present & Future' - a set of interviews and brief video clips, all either taken from the Rome 1993 MTV interviews or from the same time as the 'Post-Modern' interview I posted earlier.
3) A couple of hours worth of New Order hosting MTV, where they pick their favourite videos (both by them and by other bands). Again, this was obviously filmed at the same time as the 'Post-Modern' interview.

I'd quite like to upload the 'Past, Present & Future' interview, but there's so many clips of videos, that it would take ages editing these bits out to get past the censors (i.e. interview, bit of 'Regret' video, another bit of interview, bit more of the 'Regret' video, another interview, yet another 'Regret' clip etc.).
So it'd be a nightmare to edit.

ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC), CuanaD on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Jul  
#23 Posted : 17 December 2019 04:54:44(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Oh dear, I remember that day. Had just gotten MTV a couple of months before. Sat in my room watching throughout the day although most of the shows didn't feature New Order. Things I would do for them back then. Usually there were band-themed weekends, so it was a bit disappointing they only got a day.

I thought they were badly hung over during the hosting. Still remember the bit when they were picking their fave songs and Bernard picks Grandmaster Flash's The Message and Steve asks him what the message is and Bernard says something like "the message is brush your teeth cause your breath smells vodka". Also Hooky picked David Lee Roth and Barney wouldn't watch the video as he claimed it was sexist.
Always wondered why Hooky never formed a proper metal band after New Order.

The documentary was quite disappointing, very little not seen before in various news/120 minutes segments, and nothing I haven't known before generally.

They also played the 120 Minutes Factory special, although they mentioned it was filmed before Factory went bankrupt.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#24 Posted : 17 December 2019 11:03:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Jul Go to Quoted Post
They also played the 120 Minutes Factory special, although they mentioned it was filmed before Factory went bankrupt.

Yep _ i think you're right. I'd forgotten that that was shown. Looking at my tapes, I have that documentary directly after the third part of the day (i.e. the 'hosting' segment). I think I forgot about it when indexing my hard-drive as I have that documentary labelled with the date it was first shown (26/01/92 or thereabouts).

It's funny you should mention that 'filmed before Factory went bankrupt' caution before the documentary.
They actually said that before the 'Past, Present & Future' documentary, according to my tapes (Rebecca de Ruvo introduces it).
This makes absolutely no sense, as the 'documentary' is purely made up of interviews (i.e. no narration / presentation) and these are clearly taken from the Spring 1993 interviews in Rome and the MTV Europe studio. Therefore, there's no real reason for anyone to refer to Factory as still alive. I haven't watched it in a while but I can't see how the band would've referred to Factory as anything but well and truly 'over'.

I can't say whether the 'Factory' documentary also had this 'introductory caution' as my copy is missing the intro (but that's certainly possible).
However, it seems possible that they 'messed up' and issued the warning in front of the 'PP&F' doc (made in 1993, after the 'Factory' bankruptcy) instead of the 'Factory' documentary (made in 1992, before the bankruptcy).

Jul  
#25 Posted : 18 December 2019 12:19:59(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Funny - I remember it as before the special (can never be 100% sure as it was eons ago) but I don't remember Post Modern the show at all. Just 120 mins and later Alternative Nation (was it on VH1?). I had MTV Europe.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.