logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2019 04:43:33(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Just thought I'd post a link to this here.
I've never seen it in quite as good a quality as this.
Plus, even better, it's complete. All other copies I've seen miss out the first few sentences / words.

Pretty good interview and performance. Also, a very weird setting; almost as if the band were interviewed in a café, but it's obviously a studio.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know the exact date of transmission for this programme?
No one seems to know if it was 25/05/84 or 28/05/84.

Being the NO trainspotter that I am, I've managed to find some Belgian TV listings for the two days and can confirm that 'Pop Elektron' was shown on both dates.
I'm wondering if the 28/05/84 (a Monday) programme was a repeat of the 25/05/84 (Friday) programme. This would explain the date confusion.

Edited by user 27 October 2019 04:44:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Mr Discography  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2019 06:30:16(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Wonderful performance of Thieves. Never heard this played live in person, but all the recordings of it sound brilliant, especially Top Of The Pops. Wish they'd reintroduce it to their live sets.
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2019 07:32:52(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Yeah that is a very good quality version of the interview and performance. Seems it was uploaded to YouTube just in the last couple of days. I do have the interview and performance already but maybe not as superior quality as that. Can’t recall if the version I have had start of interview missing.

I’d say this performance of Thieves is slightly better than the one on TOTP, though they’re both good. The one on TOTP has Hooky’s bass maybe a tad too loud. The Pop Elektron performance has Hooky just about perfect in the mix. Synths and drum machine sound great, Barney on good form with his vocal.

I’d never seen this clip until a few years ago, which was also the case with that German tv one where they’re performing on the side of a lorry, never knew that one existed until some years back, was completely unaware of it.

Edited by user 27 October 2019 07:33:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2019 08:19:28(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
Wish they'd reintroduce it to their live sets.

You and me both. This song and 'Everything's Gone Green' are my two top picks for tracks to be revisited live.

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Yeah that is a very good quality version of the interview and performance. Seems it was uploaded to YouTube just in the last couple of days.

Yep. I noticed it about an hour after upload. According to the uploader, he has the whole programme on original tape, so was able to splice the complete New Order appearance. This also explains why the quality is so good; no 'copy of a copy of a copy etc.'

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
I’d never seen this clip until a few years ago, which was also the case with that German tv one where they’re performing on the side of a lorry, never knew that one existed until some years back, was completely unaware of it.

This is one of the many great things about the internet. I didn't know about this one or the 'Musik Convoy' appearance you mentioned above until a few years ago.
I remember reading about the 'DJ' version back in the day (think it was mentioned in either the Johnson book or the Edge book) but, again, I didn't get to see until ten years or so ago. Again, thanks to the internet.

I would love a decent quality version of the 'DJ' appearance. It's sad / surprising that one hasn't emerged in this digital age.

The performance on 'Musik Convoy' quality is pretty decent. As I'm also a Depeche Mode fan, I was excited to see that they appeared on the same episode as New Order, doing 'People Are People'. Then, when watching it, was pretty disappointed that they mimed. This looked decidedly second-rate in comparison to NO's performance. Shame as DM were always a great live band.

Was kind of hoping that all four 'live in studio' versions of 'Thieves Like Us' would be included on the PC&L boxset (TOTP, DJ, Musik Convoy and Pop Elektron), but we only appear to be getting the first one. Still, I can make do with the versions on the internet, and what we are getting on the box is more than worth the trade-off.

Johnny James  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2019 11:38:39(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I would love a decent quality version of the 'DJ' appearance. It's sad / surprising that one hasn't emerged in this digital age.

Was kind of hoping that all four 'live in studio' versions of 'Thieves Like Us' would be included on the PC&L boxset (TOTP, DJ, Musik Convoy and Pop Elektron), but we only appear to be getting the first one. Still, I can make do with the versions on the internet, and what we are getting on the box is more than worth the trade-off.

We did try for DJ, unfortunately it is 'unlicensable' (is that a word?). It's a long story involving most of the TVS archives. The short version is that the masters are lost and/or undocumented in a warehouse somewhere, and the ownership of it all is not exactly clear.

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
perspexorange on 27/10/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2019(UTC)
50poundnote  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2019 11:51:54(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
I remember reading about the 'DJ' version back in the day (think it was mentioned in either the Johnson book or the Edge book) but, again, I didn't get to see until ten years or so ago.

What is the DJ version? Donald Johnson playing with them? Link?
thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2019 11:58:58(UTC)
perspexorange

That’s a bit disappointing as it probably means that we’ll not get to see a high quality version anytime soon.
Unless someone else manages to rip a better version from an old video tape.

I’ve probably said this before, but I ripped all of my New Order videos a couple of years ago. Some of the tapes had degraded quite badly, so I’m glad that I got around to ripping them sooner rather than later.

It was pretty easy to do, once you buy a (cheap) gadget.

So folks, please hunt through your tapes and digitise anything you can before things are lost forever.

Who knows, you might find something lurking on a tape that’s not already on the internet.
(I’m still desperate to see the ‘Villa Tempo’ footage from the mid-80s which had Barney, Hooky and Rob playing in a charity football match).
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2019 12:08:14(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
I remember reading about the 'DJ' version back in the day (think it was mentioned in either the Johnson book or the Edge book) but, again, I didn't get to see until ten years or so ago.

What is the DJ version? Donald Johnson playing with them? Link?

The band appeared on a TV programme called ‘DJ’ in 1984 to promote TLU.
The programme, hosted by David ‘Kid’ Jensen (hence the DJ name) was short-lived and was only broadcast in the TVS (Southampton / Bristol) ITV region.

So, it’s fairly rare. For years, there was only a b&w one on the internet, but a colour one did appear at some point:

thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
tarbox23 on 27/10/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2019(UTC), Jul on 31/10/2019(UTC)
50poundnote  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2019 12:53:58(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
The band appeared on a TV programme called ‘DJ’ in 1984 to promote TLU.

Thanks!
thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2020 04:58:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
Wonderful performance of Thieves. Never heard this played live in person, but all the recordings of it sound brilliant, especially Top Of The Pops. Wish they'd reintroduce it to their live sets.

I've been hoping for them to re-introduce this track into their setlist for ages.

However, after reading this 2015 a few days ago, it seems unlikely:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/new-orders-gill/

Are there any songs that never make the New Order setlist that you really wish would?

Yeah, there always are. We tried doing “Thieves Like Us” because I really like that one, but it’s the key that’s the killer really. Bernard has a lot of singing to do, and in the old days it was no problem to go from one octave to the next. He doesn’t really do that now. I know it sounds a bit restrained. I’d love to revisit Movement. At the time it was kind of put on the shelf but I think it sounds quite good nowadays. “Procession” I’ve always liked. We’re trying to drag a few more out [laughs].

ROCKET MICK on 10/03/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#11 Posted : 11 March 2020 11:06:00(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
It's amazing they found room on retro for anal wise and world but no thieves like us.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/03/2020(UTC)