logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<4748495051>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1201 Posted : 27 July 2019 15:09:33(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
yeah, and that/this

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1202 Posted : 28 July 2019 14:58:18(UTC)
Fotz

Just back from Doves at Inner City Live in Perry Park, Birmingham. They were absolutely fucking brilliant. Wow. Incredible gig. Musicianship, the sound, the great choices of songs and Jimi Goodwin was funny as fuck with his banter. In between songs at one point he launched into acapella of Prince’s Paisley Park but changed Paisley Park to Perry Park. Maybe you had to be there but it was well funny. Jez Williams’ guitar playing was simply wonderful. And they did a fab Spaceface at the end.

The Coral and Johnny Marr were support. Surprised how much I enjoyed Marr. Did some of his own stuff and a few Smiths classics. And he did really, REALLY long versions of Getting Away With It and Get The Message.

Cracking afternoon and evening. The rain just couldn’t dampen it.
Fotzepolitic  
#1203 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:07:42(UTC)
Fotz

" We're out of here, we're out of here, get to fuck with yer!" Sing it, Jimi.And a little recognition of his Dennis Taylor specs, too.Think he had a bit of a sore throat at the gig, a little bit noticeable here but it certainly didn't ruin the gig.What night in Brum last Sunday.Jimi came across a bit like a comically scary uncle at times now with his specs but his banter was ace.

Fotzepolitic  
#1204 Posted : 10 August 2019 19:18:50(UTC)
Fotz

Gotta love Lana.

This song must be soooo bloody hard to sing, jeez.There's hardly a second to catch breath between the lines.And she loses the battle a few times.She's really battling with the song.But the gal is a star.Love her.

"And I'm off to the races, cases
Of Bacardi chasers
Chasing me all over town...

I'm your little harlot starlet
Queen of Coney Island
Raising hell all over town
Sorry 'bout it"

Michael Monkhouse  
#1205 Posted : 11 August 2019 06:49:45(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Simon and Garfunkel, 'Wednesday Morning, 3 a.m.'. It is total and utter fucking shit.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#1206 Posted : 17 August 2019 12:29:19(UTC)
Fotz

The Orb.

Kind of gave up and lost track of them after their Orblivion album in 1997, i thought that album was mostly shite.Been catching up recently and obtaining all the albums they've done since then and there's a LOT.

I guess their zenith was Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld in 1991 and U.F.Orb in 1992 and i listened to those albums a lot back then. Orbus Terrarum in 1995 had some great stuff on (Valley, Plateau and Slug Dub "Oh deary me, what shall we do? There'll be no lettuce left when little Tim comes home". ) .Saw them live a few times 1992-1995.Caught their gig at Kentish Town Forum in 1995, a mad all nighter.

Albums like Cydonia in 2001 and The Dream in 2007 have some good stuff on 'em but overall i think they'd lost their way around that time.Baghdad Batteries in 2009 was a lot better (Super Soakers is a joy).I didn't know they'd done an album with one of their (or at least Alex Paterson's) heroes, David Gilmour.Mettallic Spheres from 2010 is basically heavy Orb dub beats with Gilmour freewheeling and freestyling his guitar playing over the top.Kind of good but doesn't quite reach the heights that i might have hoped for. The Orb also did a remix album of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here back in the 90s which i spun a lot back then.And they also did an album with another of their heroes, Lee Scratch Perry in 2012.As you'd expect it's very,very dub.Fussball a highlight.The dub beats and Perry's vocals sounded great on my speakers earlier tonight.

The BBC sessions album has some great stuff on, cracking version of Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain.

2015's Moonbuilding 2073 AD didn't do much for me when gave it a spin this week.Haven't got round yet to Biycycles And Tricycles (2004), Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt (2005), and COW (Chill Out, World!) (2016) yet but i've been giving their most recent album, No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds (2018) heavy rotation tonight and was pleasantly surprised.It's one of their best in years i reckon.There's even one or two almost melancholic tracks (Ununited States- great title and how apt) towards the end of the album which is unusual for them, The Orb don't normally do melancholia.Drift (Rhianna sings on this one?? Crikey), Easy On The Onions and Soul Planet are absolutely lovely chilled out pieces.

There's a whole mountain of Orb related stuff, remixes they did and other aliases (i think) i've still never heard.

Go Easy On The Onions from their most recent album.

Edited by user 17 August 2019 14:05:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#1207 Posted : 18 August 2019 03:33:20(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Peter Fox - Alles neu

This was used as a "music bed" on Match Of The Day last night. Or to be more precise, the instrumental version was used. As below.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#1208 Posted : 18 August 2019 11:57:03(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Peter Fox - Alles neu

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

This was used as a "music bed" on Match Of The Day last night. Or to be more precise, the instrumental version was used. As below.

[YOUTUBE]

Um, don't know quite what to make of that! I had Match Of The Day on last night but don't recall that track but maybe i wasn't paying attention.

Talking of football, Lee Scratch Perry and The Orb's take on the "beautiful game".

"Kick it to the right-hand side
Shuffle, shuffle
And then you kick the ball
Double double shuffle
And then you kick the ball

Pass the ball
You got to win the game
Pass the ball
We got to win the game

Kick the ball
Boof! Kick the ball
Doof! Kick the ball
Boof! Kick the ball
Ooh! Win the game
Yeah! Win the game"

Beats hands down Keith Allen's lyrics for WIM , no?

Fotzepolitic  
#1209 Posted : 21 August 2019 09:31:41(UTC)
Fotz

Woah, never come across this before or indeed any professionally filmed Aphex Twin concert.At Field Day 2017.

Actually, most of the film is of the audience.Glitched up and increasingly bonkers editing and effects!

Edit: Oh it's actually a DJ set by him? Or a DJ set/live performance? Just finished watching and either way that was the most incredible,bonkers, crazy as shit, mind melting, trippy and hilarious concert/dj set i've ever watched.I was honestly laughing out loud for long periods during the stuff where Richard D James mashed up and grotesque warped face was superimposed onto audience members. The final half hour is ...well... words fail me.Just mad.

Edited by user 21 August 2019 11:55:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#1210 Posted : 30 August 2019 08:47:46(UTC)
Fotz

The official Noisily Festival 2019 aftermovie is up.

What a festival.Easily by far the best of the 3 festivals i went to this summer.A fantastic weekend of magic, psychedelics, beautiful friendly people, enchanting woods and dancing.See you in the woods next year at Noisily 2020.

Debaser  
#1211 Posted : 07 September 2019 12:57:20(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Waves crashing on the distant shores of time.

Just watched San Junipero for the first time about a week ago. I have only ever watched one other Black Mirror episode; Be Right Back with Domhnall Gleeson and Hayley Atwell.

It was good, if vaguely disconcerting. Especially the idea that everyone who remembers the '80s is now old or dying Eek. But I guess it's set in the future. I'm not sure the real year is actually specified though.

Some nice tunes in there anyway, from Alexander O' Neal (who lives in Greater Manchester these days), T'Pau, The Bangles, The Smiths, Robert Palmer etc. And yes, Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda does work really well. But the one that really excited me was the 'scary' song we hear when Yorkie visits The Quagmire. Cos it's by Pixies!

Fotzepolitic  
#1212 Posted : 08 September 2019 00:58:35(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Just watched San Junipero for the first time about a week ago. I have only ever watched one other Black Mirror episode; Be Right Back with Domhnall Gleeson and Hayley Atwell.

It was good, if vaguely disconcerting. Especially the idea that everyone who remembers the '80s is now old or dying Eek. But I guess it's set in the future. I'm not sure the real year is actually specified though.

Some nice tunes in there anyway, from Alexander O' Neal (who lives in Greater Manchester these days), T'Pau, The Bangles, The Smiths, Robert Palmer etc. And yes, Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda does work really well. But the one that really excited me was the 'scary' song we hear when Yorkie visits The Quagmire. Cos it's by Pixies!

No, they're not all about living an afterlife through technology if that's what you mean.There's a whole variety of stories mostly with a theme of how technology might become in the near or distant future but some just have a dark twisted plot.The very first episode of the first series for example was a story about the prime minister having to have sex with a pig on live television to pay the kidnapper of a royal family member.

There's been so many episodes i struggle to remember what happened in some of them, is the Be Right Back one the story about the woman who gets an android replica of her dead partner?

One particular episode that really had an impact on me at the time and that i do remember is Fifteen Million Merits which was the second episode of the first series in 2011.It's a kind of future nightmare vision of shows like X Factor (as if shows like that aren't a nightmare enough already).

Some episodes have similar endings.Like for example of people getting trapped in forever repeating virtual situations .

A lot if not all episodes have a dark and shocking ending.San Junipero though is widely viewed as having a happy ending, a rare thing for Black Mirror.

I think San Junipero is specifically set in 1987, well when the couple originally meet i mean, not sure what the future year is meant to be.I think in one scene the banner at the cinema is advertising Lost Boys is being shown there and that film was released in 1987.And Belinda Carlisle's hit i think was released that year.Also i recall Charlie Brooker stating in an interview he chose that year to set the story.

I feel the first couple of series on Channel 4 in 2011-2013 were more consistently good than the episodes that have been on Netflix since its move there in 2016.I feel they've been very hit and miss since the move to that service.There was a one off Christmas special last year called Bandersnatch.That episode was interactive, at certain points in the episode options come up on screen inviting you to choose which way the story goes (though it seemed my tv was too ancient to play along and so i had to watch it on my laptop). There's a lot of different endings and you can spend hours trying to reach them by going back and taking a different path .I don't think i ever got to all endings.Having said all that, i don't think the story was actually very good! There is a New Order spotting scene in one path where there's a giant P,C & L poster on the wall of an apartment and the main character under the influence of a drug starts rearranging/morphing the roses.

The most recent series had 3 episodes and was released in June this year on Netflix.I felt it was the weakest series yet and it seems Charlie Brooker (and other writers?) have run out of ideas or have lost inspiration.Or maybe i've just tired of the concept and the novelty has worn off.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 13/10/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1213 Posted : 16 September 2019 11:16:35(UTC)
Fotz

Wow.This was the livestream of Aphex Twin's (and wife?) DJ/LIVE set at Printworks, London last Saturday night 14th Sept.Gutted i wasn't there (was unaware of it).

Again, mind bending and hilarious visuals.Around 1 hour 20 -25 there's guest appearances in mashed up , “folded” (?) photo form of everyone from Mr Blobby, Mr Motivator, Jeremy Kyle, Ant & Dec, Love Island contestants (?), Del Boy, Piers Morgan , Eastenders characters to Boris Johnson and many more.Oh and frequent CCTV live updates as to what else is happening inside and outside the venue during the set, as you do.

Edited by user 16 September 2019 11:34:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#1214 Posted : 07 October 2019 13:02:50(UTC)
Fotz

PJ Harvey’s Let England Shake album. Bloody hell this is great album. Was aware of it when it came out around 2011 (?) and that it later won the Mercury Prize but I’d only ever heard 3 or 4 songs from it. Listening to the whole album the last day or two. She is bloody good.A true talented goddess.
The Shadow  
#1215 Posted : 11 October 2019 10:02:45(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Two Irish bands dong it for me this year Fontaines d.c and The murder capital. Both incredible albums. Those type of albums I and others will still be listening to in 20 years
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Debaser  
#1216 Posted : 11 October 2019 13:00:07(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
Two Irish bands dong it for me this year Fontaines d.c and The murder capital. Both incredible albums. Those type of albums I and others will still be listening to in 20 years

Ah yes the DC stands for Dublin City, so as not to be mixed up with another Fontaines.
The Murder Capital tend to get compared to Joy Division.

I've tried to get into both bands, but alas, so far I haven't succeded.

Fotzepolitic  
#1217 Posted : 12 October 2019 09:59:59(UTC)
Fotz

I did these 2 songs on the Karoake in the pub in town last night haha! I usually avoid pubs with Karoake like the plague but a work colleague hosts and runs it on Friday nights in one of the pubs so i popped in for a few beers.Needless to say he talked me into having a go and after clawing up the courage i went for it.I nailed Rocks if i do say so myself and received one or two comments on how well i did but i fluffed a couple of lines in Country Girl.Might have another go at that song again next Friday night after getting more familiar with some of the more intricacies of the lyrics and might try Movin' On Up too!

Debaser on 13/10/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#1218 Posted : 13 October 2019 10:15:13(UTC)
Debaser

No, they're not all about living an afterlife through technology if that's what you mean....The very first episode of the first series for example was a story about the prime minister having to have sex with a pig on live television to pay the kidnapper of a royal family member.

I remember that actually. Didn't realise it was Black Mirror. Presumably that was before the real (?) revelations of what David Cameron allegedly got up to in his Bullingdon Club days. Perhaps politics is crazier than Black Mirror these days...

... is the Be Right Back one the story about the woman who gets an android replica of her dead partner?

Yeah I think so. It starts off with text messaging, then phone calls and by the end of the episode some sort of physical embodiment.

I think San Junipero is specifically set in 1987, well when the couple originally meet i mean, not sure what the future year is meant to be.I think in one scene the banner at the cinema is advertising Lost Boys is being shown there and that film was released in 1987.And Belinda Carlisle's hit i think was released that year.Also i recall Charlie Brooker stating in an interview he chose that year to set the story.

Ah yes I ID'd 1987 (despite no True Faith), I meant the future year the older versions of the characters were in when they weren't living in electric dreams.
Incidentally the Pixies track came out in '88 so maybe they bent the rules a little there.

One of the reasons I watched San Junipero was because I had watched Blue Is The Warmest Colour just prior to it, and I was kinda disappointed not to be able to spend more time with those characters. So Yorkie and Kelly were my substitutes for Adele and Emma.
Some people say it's gratuitous porn, but it won the Cannes Palme D'or in 2013 (jury headed by Steven Speilberg of all people) so it must have been art! I hear that gay women don't like the way the explicit stuff was shot though, because it's via the male hetrosexual gaze of the director. Anyway, despite it being the "naughtiest" French film I've watched since another one with Blue in the title (Betty Blue), the characters got under my skin. And so did this song, which sounds very similar to Canadian artist Grimes. But isn't.

And this one that was in the trailer but not actually in the film:

Edited by user 13 June 2021 03:51:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC), Fotz on 26/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1219 Posted : 26 October 2019 14:55:03(UTC)
Fotz

Randomly got talking with someone about this scene in the film Naked today.Immediately loved this scene when i first saw the film back in the mid 90s.

"Are yer wiv me?"

"The end is nigh, Bri"

Edited by user 26 October 2019 15:06:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1220 Posted : 08 November 2019 01:14:20(UTC)
Fotz

Haha! Love it
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1221 Posted : 08 November 2019 10:06:47(UTC)
Fotz

More from these lot.They're great.Kind of half arsed can't be bothered vibe but at the same time really funky.

Girl Ray is the band.

Fotzepolitic  
#1222 Posted : 11 November 2019 14:34:40(UTC)
Fotz

Aww, wow.Blast from the long distant past.Kind of a generation ago now.Hadn't listened to this song or watched this video in years.

Love In A Car

Debaser  
#1223 Posted : 13 November 2019 10:17:34(UTC)
Debaser

Here's a track from the 80's that I don't remember at all.
But it managed to get on not one but two of those Street Sounds Electro compilations that all the UK B-boys had to have in order to get their fix of American hip hop/freestyle/electro back in the day. And it came out on Tommy Boy, so I guess plenty of other people must have known it.
Does the bassline/groove remind anyone of anything?

Information Society: Running

Nest mix
Debaser  
#1224 Posted : 19 November 2019 04:44:14(UTC)
Debaser

Bit boring posting NO tracks in this thread, but I don't think I've heard this instrumental before. Didn't know where else to put it.

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/11/2019(UTC), Fotz on 19/11/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1225 Posted : 19 November 2019 12:09:16(UTC)
Fotz

^ Cheers for that, D.Nice to hear an instrumental take of it.
Debaser on 19/11/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/11/2019(UTC)