logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2019 02:52:21(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Quote:
Me and Pottsy were so inspired by playing the Joy Division songs all round the world, we wrote Higher Higher Higher Love inspired by a jam that Joy Division did with Section 25 in 1978.

I'd always loved it and felt that it could have turned into something absolutely wonderful. So we used that as our starting point and it's just a way of saying 'thank-you' to Joy Division and Ian [Curtis] for what a great life me and Pottsy have had together. We've been threatening to write [new Monaco material] for years, so we did that track and in fact, we're going to record another brand new song on Monday.

Irish News

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2019 04:30:56(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
This is good news.

I wonder what happened to those 'deluxe editions' of the two LPs that were mooted a while back.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2019 03:21:57(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
Wow great news
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2019 00:21:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
For sale: EXTREMELY rare copy of Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures', unsigned by Peter Hook.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2019 04:37:28(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
For sale: EXTREMELY rare copy of Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures', unsigned by Peter Hook.

I will buy it only if you include a jar of peanut butter and jelly and a loaf of freshly baked bread included in the $99 dollar shipping, it sounds like a good deal to me.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2019 01:33:02(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2019 08:26:12(UTC)
Linus Solanki

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-...rview-the-light-16910494

In any case, Hook surely has enough on his plate to avoid getting bogged down in age-old disputes – reanimating his old band Monaco, which he founded with The Light guitarist David Potts during the late 90s, for one thing.
“Pottsy and I have been writing again, which has been wonderful,” he reveals. “We're going to do a Monaco record next year.
50 Pound Note  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2019 10:00:46(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
“We're going to do a Monaco record next year.

If it's as good as Music For Pleasure I'm all for it - with the caveat that he STOP playing Joy Division/New Order and move on with his life.
thanks 1 user thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2019 03:51:27(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: 50 Pound Note Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
“We're going to do a Monaco record next year.

If it's as good as Music For Pleasure I'm all for it - with the caveat that he STOP playing Joy Division/New Order and move on with his life.

Sadly, I think it's an unsolvable problem.

I'm betting he would like nothing more than to be on stage with the rest of NO, hammering out Age of Consent etc.
But the others just won't have him back.

Wanting something that you'll probably never get, so badly, is bound to eat away at you.

It's a sorry state of affairs. It really is.

I guess playing the NO/JD songs with The Light eases the pain a little.
But, I definitely know what you mean. It can't be healthy feeling that way for so long.

Still, good news on the Monaco front. I'll certainly be buying it.
Debaser  
#10 Posted : 14 September 2019 04:14:59(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Sadly, I think it's an unsolvable problem.

I'm betting he would like nothing more than to be on stage with the rest of NO, hammering out Age of Consent etc.
But the others just won't have him back.

Wanting something that you'll probably never get, so badly, is bound to eat away at you.

It's a sorry state of affairs. It really is.

I guess playing the NO/JD songs with The Light eases the pain a little.
But, I definitely know what you mean. It can't be healthy feeling that way for so long.

Still, good news on the Monaco front. I'll certainly be buying it.

I guess we're in danger of sliding back into an old discussion here, but I don't think he does want back in.
It was Hook who announced that NO was over because he had left.
I think he's bitter that "the others" are using the NO name and garnering the attention/gig sales that it brings, and he is (perhaps rightly) annoyed about "the way that they did it". And not shy of reminding us.

But I think there comes a point in many people's lives (especially the male of the species) where they don't want to play second fiddle to someone else. Phil talked about how Hooky changed prior to leaving. I think Hooky actually wanted to strike out on his own, and I don't think he'd want to go back to being under the 'command' of Bernard. He's doing things his way, albeit with songs that may have been primarily written by Bernard (and Ian).

ps. Bearing in mind that Bernard is clearly very fond of his wine, and Hooky is now teetotal, it would never work anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 14 September 2019 05:12:10(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep - you're right. this is old ground. But, hey, the board has been very quiet recently, so it's nice to have a bit of friendly NO discussion.

I do agree with some of your points. He probably had grown apart from Barney and possibly didn't want to be making music with him at the time.
However, I think that situation has possibly changed. Lots of people in bands get fed up, leave / split. Then, years later, realise how much they miss it and reform etc.

I would imagine that he would rather be on stage with the people he wrote these songs with, headlining giant festivals in Rio etc., than being third on a bill at a small festival in Essex or wherever (not that The Light don't go to some exotic locations, but you get my point).

That being said, I'm guessing he would only want to be playing with them under his terms and not, as you say, under Sumner's 'command'.

But, if he did go back, I don't think he would be cow-towing to Bernard. He's too strong a character for that.
I'm sure he feels that, if he was to start working with the others again, he could reassert some of his dominance again.
He was able to do it in the past, even when things got tense between the two of them. So why not again?

I have a certain amount of sympathy / agreement with him in how he thought things ended, i.e. a split, rather than him leaving the band.
After all, although the band made a statement that they hadn't split, for all intents and purposes, they had. Bad Lieutenant was effectively New Order under a different name. If they hadn't 'split', why didn't they just record the BL album under the 'New Order' name?

That being said, Hook definitely did the wrong thing in announcing to the press that the band had split. He was assuming that the band could not be New Order without him (a view he still holds) and he was effectively saying that the rest of the band could not work together under the NO moniker.
(Which if you think about it, is not a nice thing to do; limit other people's income streams, just because you don't want to work with them. BL probably didn't make a lot of money. Now they've switched to the New Order name, they are probably raking it in from festival appearances, TV etc.)

I think the band did the right thing, in almost immediately announcing "He does not speak for all the band, therefore we can only assume he no longer wants to be a part of New Order.”
Even if they did effectively split at that point to form BL, it was the right thing to do and adds weight to the argument that Hook left, rather than the band splitting.

But, there's a great deal of speculation on my part as to how things went down, what was said, how Hook feels etc. I'm possibly completely wrong about whether he wants to play with them. :-)
The Shadow  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2019 04:56:37(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Listened to it on you tube sounds a really good track, more in the style of JD. There are loads of bands around at the moment using JD as an influence (the murder capital for one who are really good btw) so this is the right time for a new Monaco record but a more stripped down guitar sound rather than looking towards club land. Hopefully this may spur Bernard on for a new New Order so Good!
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#13 Posted : 16 September 2019 03:26:22(UTC)
Linus Solanki

I really hope the new album sounds similar to the first Monaco album Music For Pleasure, the second album war horrible, I have been listening to Revenge lately and it is so good, hope they combing those elements on their new album.