logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2019 02:26:20(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
CLICK 1

CLICK 2

This exhibition not to be mixed up with "New Order: Art, Product, Image 1976-1995" which I did a separate thread for. I paid that one a visit actually. Might stick a couple of photos on that thread when I get a moment.

EDIT - more links

CLICK 3 This in turn has a link that leads you to...

CLICK 4 Mmm, it looks sooo pretty.

Edited by user 06 August 2019 04:33:26(UTC)  | Reason: more links

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/10/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Midnight Blue  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2019 06:40:57(UTC)
Midnight Blue

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Factory Records celebrates 40th anniversary with box-sets and major exhibitions
John Earls Aug 6, 2019 9:06 am BST

Legendary record company Factory Records is celebrating its 40th anniversary with two box-sets and two major exhibitions devoted to the label.

Factory was home to bands such as Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays, James and The Durutti Column.

The first box-set, ‘Use Hearing Protection’, compiles the first 10 records and memorabilia to receive a Factory Records catalogue number. The second box, ‘Factory: Communications 1978-1992’, features 63 songs from Factory’s 15-year history.

One exhibition, also titled Use Hearing Protection, is at Chelsea Space from September 13-October 25. It features exhibitions of the first 50 items until 1982 with a Factory catalogue number, including works by Joy Division, New Order, A Certain Ratio and The Durutti Column, as well as Factory’s acclaimed designer Peter Saville. Entry is free.

An expanded version of the Use Hearing Protection exhibition will open in July next year. It’s currently being developed by The Science And Industry Museum in Manchester.

The 10 items in the ‘Use Hearing Protection’ box-set include Joy Division’s classic album ‘Unknown Pleasures’. Given the catalogue number Fact10, the album recently reached No 5 when it was reissued separately. The other records are successful ’80s band OMD’s single ‘Electricity’, ‘All Night Party’ by Factory staples A Certain Ratio and ‘The Factory Sample EP’ featuring various Factory artists including Joy Division, Cabaret Voltaire, John Dowie and The Durutti Column.

It also contains three Factory posters, including FAC1, which was a poster advertising the label. FAC8 was a Factory Records egg timer, represented in the box-set as an A4 art print. The box is limited to 4,000 copies.

Bonus items in ‘Use Hearing Protection’ are a 2CD interview with Joy Division and Factory founder Tony Wilson by journalist Mary Harron in 1979, plus a previously-unreleased 12″ single, ‘Big Noise From The Jungle’ by The Tiller Boys. The box-set is released on October 11.

The second box-set, ‘Factory: Communications 1978-92’ was originally released as a 4CD-set in 2009. It will now be available as an 8LP vinyl box. It includes hits ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ by Joy Division, New Order’s ‘Temptation’, ‘Blue Monday’, ‘Confusion’, ‘True Faith’ and ‘World In Motion’, James’ ‘Hymn From A Village’, Electronic’s ‘Getting Away With It’ and Happy Mondays’ ‘Step On’, ‘WFL’ and ’24 Hour Party People’. It’s released on November 8, with sleevenotes by Paul Morley and James Nice.

The box-sets are available to pre-order here
https://store.rhino.co.uk/factory.html

https://www.nme.com/news/factory...ajor-exhibitions-2535514
thanks 1 user thanked Midnight Blue for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:57:51(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Man, I want one. Looks so nice.

Although the 'physical' items are probably most people's 'must have' items, I'm more interested by the 2 CDs of interviews with JD and the 'No City Fun' film on DVD.

Very tempted by this. £180 though. Bloody Hell. :-(
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2019 11:03:59(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
like the 1978-1992 box, very cool

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2019 11:45:43(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
No City Fun film will finally see the light of day???!!!! Gulp, wow. Can’t quite believe it.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2019 12:07:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
No City Fun film will finally see the light of day???!!!! Gulp, wow. Can’t quite believe it.

I know. Makes me feel that I can't not get this.

Chances are, I'll drag my feet and by the time I pre-order, they'll have sold out.

If this was a JD / NO set, no question - I'd buy it. But I'm really only interested in the JD interviews and (especially) 'No City Fun'.
I don't really care about the other material. Well, not '£180 care' anyway.

I just wish they'd release the CD / DVD material separately. Or, better still, release it on a JD box set, along with the Whitehead movie and all the video material of the band. Now that's something I wouldn't hesitate to spend some serious notes on.
Rorschach  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2019 05:38:44(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Very nice items indeed but I'm saving my mega-splurge credits for the Neworder Definitive Edition boxes...
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Debaser  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2019 03:52:15(UTC)
Debaser

Following Old Blue's new thread just now... This thread was originally started to let people know about that exibition at Chelsea Space, but I think the two box sets (one of which directly relates to this) kinda distracted people from the exhibition in the first link at the top of the thread.
To answer Old Blue's question, I haven't been yet, but I just might. Apparently Stephen & Gillian have:

JG  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2019 04:17:39(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Chances are, I'll drag my feet and by the time I pre-order, they'll have sold out.

If this was a JD / NO set, no question - I'd buy it. But I'm really only interested in the JD interviews and (especially) 'No City Fun'.

I just wish they'd release the CD / DVD material separately. Or, better still, release it on a JD box set, along with the Whitehead movie and all the video material of the band. Now that's something I wouldn't hesitate to spend some serious notes on.

The No City Fun film is available for viewing at the 'Use Hearing Protection' exhibition, Chelsea Space. It's played on a loop on a TV and there are a couple of head phones so two people can listen at once. If you can make it down there, it's a more affordable way of seeing the film.

The Box is a limited run of 4,000 which given the price (I would guess) is unlikely to sell out any time soon. I'm not aware of anyone who has ordered this and I know a lot of keen Factory enthusiasts. The price is the objection which everyone is throwing out. I'm prepared to bide my time and see if the price drifts south after the release date. If Fac 9 or the JD interview CD pop up on the web in the mean time then I will abandon any thoughts of buying it.

thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
JG  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2019 04:19:33(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: Rorschach Go to Quoted Post
Very nice items indeed but I'm saving my mega-splurge credits for the Neworder Definitive Edition boxes...

The smart move.

JG  
#11 Posted : 20 September 2019 00:51:05(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: JG Go to Quoted Post

The No City Fun film is available for viewing at the 'Use Hearing Protection' exhibition, Chelsea Space. It's played on a loop on a TV and there are a couple of head phones so two people can listen at once. If you can make it down there, it's a more affordable way of seeing the film.

The Box is a limited run of 4,000 which given the price (I would guess) is unlikely to sell out any time soon. I'm not aware of anyone who has ordered this and I know a lot of keen Factory enthusiasts. The price is the objection which everyone is throwing out. I'm prepared to bide my time and see if the price drifts south after the release date. If Fac 9 or the JD interview CD pop up on the web in the mean time then I will abandon any thoughts of buying it.

I should add that the Joy Division element of Fac 9 is not being shown at Chelsea Space, its the rest of the footage featuring ACR, Ludus and No City Fun which is screened. So the wait goes on...

Johnny James  
#12 Posted : 20 September 2019 11:27:02(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

I should add that the Joy Division element of Fac 9 is not being shown at Chelsea Space, its the rest of the footage featuring ACR, Ludus and No City Fun which is screened. So the wait goes on...

The ACR and Ludus stuff couldn't be found, it's just City Fun isn't it?

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 12 October 2019 13:13:16(UTC)
Debaser

Anyone visited usehearingprotection.com recently? Scroll down to the bottom and click exhibition. Voila: FAC 1 to 50 as covered by the Exhibition: each has its own picture and blurb underneath. So it’s a sort of virtual exhibition for those unable to attend in person.

I actually did attend on Friday afternoon, shortly before closing time, so I had to be quick. Fortunately the place was completely empty bar the staff, so no one slowed me down. I didn’t have time to watch the video stuff though.

The exhibition is primarily in one room. You effectively enter through the gift shop, walk up a long ramp with some exhibit-related posters on it, and then into the room. JD and Durutti Column were playing on the speakers (maybe it was the box set?). Ironically I didn't pay much attention to the music!
I took some pics but I won’t bother with too many of the Fac 1 to 50 pics as you can see better ones on the above website link. Some posters/adverts/books/notebooks made up the additional material at the exbibition that aren't covered above, so I’ll focus on those.

Having said that, contradiction time: Here’s FAC1:
UserPostedImage
This was at the top of the walking-ramp just as you turn into the main room. The other posters in the ramp area that I kinda ignored were:
1) Poster for the Sex Pistols at Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall 20/07/1978
2) Poster: Shimmy...Joy Division July, 1979. Designed by Jon Savage
3) Poster: with detail from Le Retour de la colonne Durutti. Produced by Tony Wilson
4) Poster: the Factory Fridays at the Russell Club, 1979
5) Poster: A Certain Ratio/Durutti Column/Blurt, 1980. Designed by Jon Savage

And here's contradiction number two of my "no Facs" plan: FAC2:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And here's... FAC26 which doesn't have a picture on the website for some reason, so you may as well have a look here.
On the bottom left you can see the "(No) City Fun" video screen reflecting off the glass frame. The window and the overhead lights made it quite tricky to take pictures of framed stuff, or stuff under glass without getting reflections.
UserPostedImage

Some of this stuff from here on, I'll let you figure out yourselves.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Final Solution present... (Bernard: "We're not Nazis!")
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

FACT37
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

FAC8 The Factory "egg timer" appeared to be written/drawn directly on the wall
UserPostedImage

Use your wits or use the bus. Admission £2.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The gift shop (aka The Reading Room) was the exit as well as the entrance.
Lots of merch for sale. The only things I could clearly see a price on were the pencils and keyrings. With each of those selling at £5 a pop, I didn't bother enquiring about the other stuff.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Should I recognise the red Factory keyring logo?

I think I see some JD UP vinyl down the bottom right here, stacked flat. Which is how you get warped vinyl. Tut tut.
UserPostedImage

The lower right of this pic has Factory packing/duct tape! Just what you always wanted.
UserPostedImage

Makes me wonder if there's a NO/JD fan out there who has everything from a FAC1 poster, the JD/NO records, through to pencils and Factory branded tape.

There were a couple of other display bits in the gift shop area which I didn't snap. Such as a letter from Tony Wilson to Rob Gretton, 9th May,1978, and Rob Gretton's copy of Internationale Sittuationniste 11.

Oh now a couple of "bonus tracks":
These two posters weren't at Chelsea Space (which is confusingly, in Pimlico), these were in actual Chelsea at a Rave Exhibition in Saatchi Galleries during the summer. Not sure why they were there (along with Visage and Test Dept). Surely a Hacienda poster, or something Technique related would have been more appropriate. Overall it was a fun Rave exhibition though!
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Col72 on 13/10/2019(UTC), perspexorange on 13/10/2019(UTC), negative1 on 13/10/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/10/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#14 Posted : 13 October 2019 03:16:57(UTC)
perspexorange

This is great, Debaser!

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos / descriptions.

Looked a great exhibition
Debaser  
#15 Posted : 22 October 2019 14:47:45(UTC)
Debaser

This was tonight. I was oblivious. Maybe others weren't?

ROCKET MICK on 24/10/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#16 Posted : 25 October 2019 00:11:22(UTC)
perspexorange

Related:

ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2019(UTC)
depthcharge  
#17 Posted : 30 December 2019 23:15:20(UTC)
depthcharge

Was thanked: 307 time(s) in 189 post(s)
So I'm one of the a-holes who bought the "Use Hearing Protection" box for an outrageous sum -- especially when exchange rates and shipping are factored in.

Did anyone else grab one in the end?

Minor annoyance - the outer box is HUGE and simply won't fit on most record shelves.

Major annoyance - the outer box has a sizable crease on the front. Looks more of a manufacturing defect than a shipping issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by user 30 December 2019 23:16:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked depthcharge for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/01/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#18 Posted : 31 December 2019 03:29:21(UTC)
Fotz

Looked at the Factory 78-92 vinyl box yesterday in the new HMV Vault store in Birmingham which claims to be the biggest record store in Europe. The box was something like £130 in there.Nah.Gave it a miss.

The Movement box was on sale for £109 and the So It Goes live MIF box was on sale at a pretty steep price too.To be fair though on HMV they did have a lot of new and older albums at knock down prices.In the end i spent my HMV voucher on the Twin Peaks:The Return DVD box setSmile

Edited by user 01 January 2020 12:26:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#19 Posted : 31 December 2019 08:08:21(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: The Singing Detective Go to Quoted Post
The box was something like £130 in there.

That's pretty reasonable in comparison to the £180 RRP on the Rhino store. I would like the set, but at that sort of price (even £130), I'm holding out for a substantial price drop (which probably won't come).

Edit - Ah. Sorry - I thought you meant the 'Use Hearing Protection' set. The 'Communications' set is £120 on Rhino.co.uk.

spent my HMV voucher on the Twin Peaks:The Return DVD box setSmile

Good choice.
Off topic, but I'm a bit annoyed with all the Twin Peaks re-releases though. I've bought the original TV series three times now (2 x DVD and the 'complete missing pieces' set on BD) and bought 'The Return' on BD when that came out. Now they've released a new BD set which has the original series and Return boxed together with a silly statue, which has a whole host of new special features which I'd like. It's pretty frustrating - they are obviously trying to get fans to keep buying the same TV series time and time again.

Rant over...

Edited by user 31 December 2019 08:10:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 31/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/01/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#20 Posted : 31 December 2019 09:29:07(UTC)
Fotz

The box was something like £130 in there.

That's pretty reasonable in comparison to the £180 RRP on the Rhino store. I would like the set, but at that sort of price (even £130), I'm holding out for a substantial price drop (which probably won't come).

Edit - Ah. Sorry - I thought you meant the 'Use Hearing Protection' set. The 'Communications' set is £120 on Rhino.co.uk.

spent my HMV voucher on the Twin Peaks:The Return DVD box setSmile

Good choice.
Off topic, but I'm a bit annoyed with all the Twin Peaks re-releases though. I've bought the original TV series three times now (2 x DVD and the 'complete missing pieces' set on BD) and bought 'The Return' on BD when that came out. Now they've released a new BD set which has the original series and Return boxed together with a silly statue, which has a whole host of new special features which I'd like. It's pretty frustrating - they are obviously trying to get fans to keep buying the same TV series time and time again.

Rant over...

Yes this wasn't the Use Hearing Protection box with all the first 10 Factory items including egg timer etc. It was the 1978-1992 box with x8 vinyl .Though i don't know if it was the black vinyl edition or the slightly more expensive silver vinyl edition.Possibly the latter as looking around online that £130 price seems to be for the x8 silver vinyl box.The x8 black vinyl seems to be around £120 online.I hadn't realised or maybe forgotten this 78-92 box was originally released as a CD box in 2009.

You'd have to be a pretty obsessive Factory fan to shell out for these boxes in a year when also there's been the Movement box and the So It Goes box.

Re: the Twin Peaks box sets.I did see a box set in HMV with the original series one and two on , or a box with series one and a box with series two, can't recall now.I loved those two series back in the day but felt i probably wouldn't watch the whole DVD set if i bought it whereas the Twin Peaks: Return box set i definitely will as i was gobsmacked and blown away by it when it was aired in 2018.Some of it is just beyond weird even by David Lynch standards and also a lot of it was side splittingly hilarious with Kyle Mclachlan's character.And who could not like the disturbing and frightening figure in one of the episodes and his "Gotta light?"

5 hours of extras also, over the 8 (i think its 8) discs.

Edited by user 31 December 2019 09:30:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Johnny James  
#21 Posted : 31 December 2019 11:01:40(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

Though i don't know if it was the black vinyl edition or the slightly more expensive silver vinyl edition.Possibly the latter as looking around online that £130 price seems to be for the x8 silver vinyl box.The x8 black vinyl seems to be around £120 online.I hadn't realised or maybe forgotten this 78-92 box was originally released as a CD box in 2009.

Almost certainly black vinyl. There were only 500 silver ones, all sold on the Rhino site only.

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Fotz on 31/12/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/01/2020(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#22 Posted : 07 January 2020 10:59:27(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: depthcharge Go to Quoted Post
So I'm one of the a-holes who bought the "Use Hearing Protection" box for an outrageous sum -- especially when exchange rates and shipping are factored in.

Did anyone else grab one in the end?

Minor annoyance - the outer box is HUGE and simply won't fit on most record shelves.

Major annoyance - the outer box has a sizable crease on the front. Looks more of a manufacturing defect than a shipping issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

Think I might have it

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#23 Posted : 22 February 2020 12:24:02(UTC)
Debaser

Northerners (in the UK). The exhibition is coming to Manchester.

Science & Industry Museum
ROCKET MICK on 24/02/2020(UTC)
The Hierophant  
#24 Posted : 25 February 2020 23:57:57(UTC)
The Hierophant

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
When? I am not in Manchester but can make the trip.
thanks 1 user thanked The Hierophant for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/02/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#25 Posted : 02 June 2021 03:48:50(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: The Hierophant Go to Quoted Post
When? I am not in Manchester but can make the trip.

Well...
19 June 2021 to 3 January 2022.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Like No Other on 02/06/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/06/2021(UTC)