logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#51 Posted : 03 July 2019 09:08:02(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
So remember how this was the only pro footage that emerged from 2013's Jodrell Bank gig:

Well BlueDot have just stuck 9 mins of Temptation on their twitter:

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#52 Posted : 03 July 2019 10:09:00(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Thanks for this.
I think this was originally posted on their Twitter back in mid-May, but it's nice to see it again.
Makes me excited for two weeks on Sunday.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
lee  
#53 Posted : 06 July 2019 03:08:10(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
think there's a pro shot lwtua on their twitter too

there's definately another jd song not sure what
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#54 Posted : 19 July 2019 05:43:52(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Is the Lovell telescope out of action at the moment? Caught a bit of BBC Breakfast live from Jodrell Bank this morning and the big dish is kind of just lying on its back.Think I read something a while back that it won’t be operating during Bluedot. So if not, I’m guessing there’ll be no visuals projected on to it like there was in 2013? Bit disappointing if this is correct.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser  
#55 Posted : 19 July 2019 06:04:05(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Is the Lovell telescope out of action at the moment? Caught a bit of BBC Breakfast live from Jodrell Bank this morning and the big dish is kind of just lying on its back.Think I read something a while back that it won’t be operating during Bluedot. So if not, I’m guessing there’ll be no visuals projected on to it like there was in 2013? Bit disappointing if this is correct.

Think you're right. Weather's gonna be crap too, I hear.
Chemical Brothers played last year and the dish was defo on it's back - Jodrell bank said the dish was undergoing maintenenace or something. Can that still be the case a year later??
The Chems got their visuals guys to project on to the base of the dish, which may sound crap. But hit play and take a look at this (not from the Chems):

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 19/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#56 Posted : 19 July 2019 07:32:51(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)

See my post #10 on page 1 on this threadSmile

thanks 2 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Fotz on 19/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
lee  
#57 Posted : 19 July 2019 09:00:53(UTC)
lee

for the last couple of years they've projected onto the satalitte in that position.....doesn't look anywhere near as good and also isn't related to the band playing like it used to be

i can't say i'm looking forward to sunday at all....mud,crap line up,a stagment set list and 5 jd songs
Fotzepolitic  
#58 Posted : 19 July 2019 09:58:45(UTC)
Fotz

Weather forecast is dryer for Sunday which is the only day I’m going for. However, 2 days of rain will have turned the site into a mud bath by then. Not overly excited about seeing NO this time.After last weekend’s madness and insanity at Noisily festival in the woods in Leicestershire ( and partaking of a , ahem, certain psychedelic drug) Bluedot will probably seem very sane and
safe. And the Lovell dish is out of action. Ah well, I’ve paid for the ticket now.
lee  
#59 Posted : 19 July 2019 10:34:55(UTC)
lee

Weather forecast is dryer for Sunday which is the only day I’m going for. However, 2 days of rain will have turned the site into a mud bath by then. Not overly excited about seeing NO this time.After last weekend’s madness and insanity at Noisily festival in the woods in Leicestershire ( and partaking of a , ahem, certain psychedelic drug) Bluedot will probably seem very sane and
safe. And the Lovell dish is out of action. Ah well, I’ve paid for the ticket now.

It's already a mud bath i've seen some photo's on twitter

I've booked a return coach from macc but it sets off at 11.15 and i don't fancy a full day there so i've spent another £30 on a one way taxi to get there about 6

Why didn't i just book benidorm!!
perspexorange  
#60 Posted : 19 July 2019 11:08:58(UTC)
perspexorange

I'm going to play it by ear.
I'm only going Sunday, so will see what things are like that morning. I have a friend there for the whole weekend and she's giving me regular weather updates (currently a 'filth pit'; her words).

If it's still just as bad by Sunday morning (very likely), I'll get pissed in Manchester instead (which is where I'm staying).

I gave up getting soaked through, muddy and miserable in my 20s. Can't be arsed with that nonsense in my late 40s.
lee  
#61 Posted : 19 July 2019 11:12:58(UTC)
lee

Looking at the weather its going to be ok from now on

Hopefully ther've got a load of straw to put down and it'll be fine

getting old is no good is it!
Fotzepolitic  
#62 Posted : 19 July 2019 12:04:16(UTC)
Fotz

Getting rained on and wet i can handle (well, to an extent), it's when the ground turns to mud i can't accept.
lee  
#63 Posted : 20 July 2019 08:56:09(UTC)
lee

No matter how muddy it's going to be i just can't bring myself to wear wellies or walking boots
perspexorange  
#64 Posted : 21 July 2019 16:19:10(UTC)
perspexorange

Well, the weather stayed fine until ten minutes before NO came on stage. Fine drizzle throughout the gig, which was actually quite pleasant (cooling etc.).
Tipped it down shortly after the set.
But generally pretty reasonable under foot.

Gig was great. Band sounded good. No surprises in the setlist but some really great performances; Sub-Culture and Blue Monday were highlights for me. The JD numbers sounded good too (SLC, Transmission, Atmosphere and LWTUA). No OTT whooping etc.
Barney missed out the bridge in TPK which I thought was odd. I’m not 100% on this but I thought he also missed out the last verse of True Faith too (maybe I just ‘switched off’ and missed it though).
I’ve said it before, but I REALLY wish they’d revert back to ‘classic’ True Faith. The version they do live is a bit wimpy, IMHO.

The audience were very appreciative and sang along quite a bit. Lots of youngsters getting into it.

Very glad I went. A good day out.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Andy on 21/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Andy  
#65 Posted : 22 July 2019 04:46:12(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#66 Posted : 22 July 2019 05:14:24(UTC)
Fotz

Pretty enjoyable once I moved to a more central spot facing the stage. For the first few numbers my brother and I were to the right of the stage as you looked at it and the wind was just blowing the sound all over the shop, it was pretty bad sound. In the end after a few songs I said to my brother I was going to find a more central spot. He however didn’t join me as he wanted to stay near easy access to the bar.

Interesting to see the films for She’s Lost Control and Transmission. One of them had an Unknown Pleasures flag fluttering in the wing in various windswept desolate locations, desert or something.

Once I got more central I also made my way nearer to the front and was pretty close by the time they played True Faith, Blue Monday, Temptation and the encore of Atmosphere and LWTUA. Was happy to see them play Atmosphere. Would have taken that or Decades but Atmosphere it was.

Your Silent Face took me by surprise quite early in the set. Expected them to play that much later. Bernard cracked me up after that song; he tried to say he never tires of playing that song but got all his words jumbled up and ended up saying “ I never play of tiring that song “.

Yep I’d seen the weather forecast was rain right about the time NO were scheduled to take to the stage and right on cue it indeed started to rain and continued all the way through the set though mostly just a light spray . Nice to keep cool to though. Rained much more heavily after New Order finished though and the site rapidly turned to very slippery mud again. My brother had by this time called it a night and gone back to sleep in the car. I battled on for a while, grabbing some more food and drink and had a look in the Orbit tent and Nebula tent. Both playing dance music but packed out and getting in was almost impossible. A few little places here and there playing music but my glasses were constantly getting covered in rain so what with the mud also , I finally called it a night and finally found my way back to the car and slept til the morning.

Oh and we caught a Jerry Damners DJ set in one marquee in the late afternoon. He was playing loads of old obscure French music and such , accompanied by weird old clips from obscure old sci- fi films.

Had a bit of a look round the science and moon stuff.

Oh and I quite liked the electronic wristband thing. Made getting a drink at the bar very straightforward.

A fairly good day out but the dish was out of action and there was too much mud at the end of the night but I enjoyed for the most part NO’s set. Their 2013 gig there was better though; fantastic weather that time and the visuals projected onto the dish and the lasers were great. Ah well.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 22/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#67 Posted : 22 July 2019 05:18:05(UTC)
Fotz

Jerry Dammers, not Damners. Tried to edit but rejected as spam.

Oh and obviously I meant the Unknown Pleasures flag in one of the videos was fluttering in the wind, not wing.

Edited by user 22 July 2019 05:20:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#68 Posted : 22 July 2019 10:18:04(UTC)
perspexorange

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if Bernard has got rid of the autocue.
With the two (possibly) mistakes in The Perfect Kiss and True Faith mentioned above, it seems likely that he was without 'guidance'.
Also, he seemed to be all over the stage, which made me think that he wasn't particularly watching monitors etc.

Kind of hope he is 'sans autocue'. I like the idea of f**k ups at a New Order gig. Makes it seem more authentic.Big Grin

Now I've had time to digest this gig, I really think it was a pretty special performance. They sounded bloody brilliant and the light show and mini-movies looked spectacular. One of my favourite gigs I've ever been to.

Oh, and as always, Steve is just incredible. How that man keeps going like he does, I will never know.
He is a machine, I'm convinced.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 22/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#69 Posted : 22 July 2019 12:00:07(UTC)
The Japanese One

A rather unremarkable setlist, but a spirited performance well made up for the negative. The weather wasn’t that bad, either. I assume most if not all of the group’s followers had a good time, despite the widely shared dampen (pun not necessarily intended) anticipation to it among us.

Not a FOS person myself, but this time I managed a position quite close to the stage, about ten yards or so from the performers. I can report the sound was impeccable where I was.

Somewhat surprisingly, She’s Lost Control and Transmission turned out to be among the highlights for me — on both performances, the newly introduced black and white visual were quite well-made and effective.

The time slot given to New Order was 21:30-23:00, but they started the show early by 5 minutes (excluding the intro music with the accompanied visual that lasted a few minutes), and finished it almost according to the timetable, which resulted in a slightly longer-than-proposed festive headlining set that consisted of fifteen songs. Rather than that, I’m now more surprised that Bristol was a seventeen-song set (instead of around twenty or so) despite being a non-festive appearance.

After all is said and done, though, it was no Jodrell Bank 2013 — that is unsurpassable in almost every sense, an ultimate audio-visual experience.
thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
lee  
#70 Posted : 23 July 2019 11:04:22(UTC)
lee

I've got to admit i had a great day and thought new order were superb

The line up was terrible though every band or artist i saw was shocking.....a pity the go team cancelled as i don't mind them

Spent most of our day at the little dj stand 'time warp disco' jumping about like baboons with the help of dodgy substances,,,,i was reliving my past after all
perspexorange  
#71 Posted : 23 July 2019 12:23:34(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep - I wasn't that impressed with the line-up for the Sunday, apart from New Order.

Caught a little of John Grant's performance, but not enough to pass judgement.

Really wasn't that impressed with Anna Calvi. I've heard tracks by her before and thought they were pretty reasonable, but I was just very bored watching her. Most of her songs sounded the same (to my ears anyway). I also thought the sound for her gig was poor, with it dissipating in the air. It might have just been the songs though; maybe they don't translate to open air festivals.

Going back to New Order, I've now heard a recording of True Faith from the BlueDot gig and can confirm that Sumner did omit the third verse.
It does sound like he missed his cue (rather than a planned omission), as you can hear where he should’ve come in.
I was fairly sure during the gig that he either didn't have an autocue or he wasn’t really using it, and this just about confirms my suspicions.
Fotzepolitic  
#72 Posted : 23 July 2019 13:26:24(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah I caught some of Anna Calvi and then John Grant. I like some of Grant’s stuff but neither him or Calvi really got me interested at Bluedot. Friday and Saturday had a lot more stuff up my street but I wasn’t there on those days.

Not sure I’d go to Bluedot again; it seemed very family oriented which isn’t my bag. Kids and picnics everywhere. Maybe there were more kids this year as parents brought them because of all the moon landing anniversary stuff. Not to say the moon stuff doesn’t interest me but a lot of it seemed more for kids.

The festival could have done more to combat the mud. I didn’t see any straw put down to soak up mud. Also, the stench of toilets never seemed much more than a few feet away wherever we were .

I’ve looked at photos of the last one or two Bluedot and each year the Lovell Telescope is in that lying on its arse position. How many years has the repair and stuff been going on for??? A lot of write ups going on about the telescope being the great focal point of the festival but personally I thought it was massively disappointing that the dish was not upright in all its glory. Would have been great to have visuals projected on to it. A big shame it wasn’t upright for the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing.

On the positive side, I did eat a fantastic Falafel from one of the countless food outlets! Oh and had a great Cornish pasty after New Order. But the drinks were so , so diluted.Ah well.
perspexorange  
#73 Posted : 23 July 2019 14:49:04(UTC)
perspexorange

But the drinks were so , so diluted.Ah well.

The beer at the ‘real ale bar’ was great. Well, the ones I had anyway.
Some very decent pints.

The food was great; too much to choose. Ended up with some paella followed by churros.
Man, I love churros.

The Japanese One  
#74 Posted : 23 July 2019 16:52:37(UTC)
The Japanese One

I enjoyed Anna Calvi and John Grant myself (both second time of watching them live for me), but that’s my preference, after all. I even felt the sound making of some of Grant’s tunes kind of New Order-ish! You know, all this sequencer thing and that.

Regrettably I had to miss out Gogo Penguin as half of their time slot clashed with New Order — in the meantime I was occupied to secure my place in the front of the main stage.

I am a Bluedot first timer, too, and fair enough, it’s a very family oriented festival for sure. But that’s Bluedot for you and they are very good at that IMHO.

Yes, it is a great pity they didn’t make use of the Lovell Telescope as a projector screen — even in its current sitting position, which was disappointing to say the least. But what I felt when I saw that glorious light show 2013 with the dish being upright was, gosh, this looks like a lot of dosh thrown in to make this happen...go figure.

Edited by user 23 July 2019 19:00:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Andy  
#75 Posted : 25 July 2019 20:56:56(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.