logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lee  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2019 06:31:48(UTC)
lee

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
I'm really surprised they're still touring more or less the same show as they was when Music complete came out

Its been 4 years now it really is time for a change i think
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
tapebias  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:08:30(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
If you mean the setlist then yes. Seems to have reverted back to the bad old days of 4-5 JD songs with an hour of disco hits to finish off.

Why not mix it up a bit and change the song order or would that confuse Uncle Bernard too much.
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
lee  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:54:52(UTC)
lee

I meant the videos,lighting,coming on to wagner etc

But yeah the setlist has gone backwards too probably because of UP turning 40

Not good if you don't like JD....not all new order fans do you know!!
tapebias  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2019 10:03:30(UTC)
tapebias

Ah, see what you mean. Good point about UP - 40. I love JD but I'd rather hear a full set of NO songs. Plenty to choose from.

Edited by user 30 June 2019 10:04:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2019 10:20:16(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
It’s weird. Much as I love JD, I’d much rather have a full set of NO songs.

Just imagine what could be done with an extra four or five tracks.
You’d have room for the classics, the hits, songs from the most recent LP (for promotion) and still have room for a few ‘deeper cuts’.
Everything’s Gone Green, Hurt, Thieves Like Us etc.

JD numbers would be nice as occasional ‘one offs’, in my opinion.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Wax  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2019 15:55:33(UTC)
Wax

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
You know what confuses me? New Order put out such a huge campaign for the Movement box set with interviews, social media, BTS videos, and more but yet they still haven't made an effort to play it live. I know they've never been one for self-promotion but if they put so much energy in this release why not perform it live?

Also, they took out Vanishing Point, which was the only Technique song they'd play live, for the JD songs. As much as I love this band, they sound stale doing JD songs with the exception of Decades (the live instrumentation for this song is bonkers) and LWTUA, which is a nice swan song for a show. And of course, they do have to play the hits.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but take Crystal out. That song doesn't do anything for me after the second chorus. You could easily fit another song in if they removed it.
thanks 2 users thanked Wax for this useful post.
Andy on 01/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Benj65  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2019 00:31:18(UTC)
Benj65

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I was watching the Cure @ Glastonbury last night w my 2 x teenage boys and missus.

The lads thought the songs all had way too long intros and were amused and appalled by Robert Smith in equal measure, based on his hair/makeup and portly profile in black.

My wife thought they were great and would love to see them live.

I just thought of that latest publicity shot of New Order promoting the Miami residency with Ber-nard out front, dominating as is his usual want and need these days, and thought #male/stale and pale - very unappealing. I also estimated the chances of me wanting to see them again live as close to zero.

I was very happy to return to my current book I am thoroughly enjoying, the biography of Anthony Powell by Hilary Spurling [Hamish Hamilton 2017].

Still my favourite band of all time, though.
thanks 1 user thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2019 05:01:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Didn’t see The Cure yesterday but heard three or four numbers on the radio.

Much as I like the band (or, at least, their first four LPs plus Disintegration), I’ve always found them a bit dull to watch or listen to live.

Oh, and Robert now looks like Elizabeth Taylor in her latter years.
I know it’s his ‘look’, but there has to be a point where you look at yourself in the mirror and go ‘Nah’.
I mean, will he still be wearing his ‘look’ in the old folks’ home? If the answer is ‘no’, he might as well quit now. I’m sure the fans won’t mind. 😊
Andy  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2019 05:11:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wax Go to Quoted Post
You know what confuses me? New Order put out such a huge campaign for the Movement box set with interviews, social media, BTS videos, and more but yet they still haven't made an effort to play it live. I know they've never been one for self-promotion but if they put so much energy in this release why not perform it live?

Also, they took out Vanishing Point, which was the only Technique song they'd play live, for the JD songs. As much as I love this band, they sound stale doing JD songs with the exception of Decades (the live instrumentation for this song is bonkers) and LWTUA, which is a nice swan song for a show. And of course, they do have to play the hits.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but take Crystal out. That song doesn't do anything for me after the second chorus. You could easily fit another song in if they removed it.

I can't imagine Bernard wanting to sing Dreams Never End. Maybe Chappy can have a go. The only other Movement track that might fit would be Chosen Time. I'd welcome that.

I agree about Crystal. Geninuely surprised that some consider it a classic New Order single. My favourite from that era is actually Here to Stay, which sounded great when they played it in Oakland back in 2012.

I've been complaining about the dearth of Technique tracks for decades (the time, not the track)!
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2019 06:43:04(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Benj65 Go to Quoted Post
I was watching the Cure @ Glastonbury last night w my 2 x teenage boys and missus.

The lads thought the songs all had way too long intros and were amused and appalled by Robert Smith in equal measure, based on his hair/makeup and portly profile in black.

I watched on tv last night The Cure's headline set at Glastonbury.Have to be honest, they were bloody good.Plainsong kicked things off and was immense.Made me nostalgic for something but not sure what.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 01 July 2019 08:40:39(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I can't imagine Bernard wanting to sing Dreams Never End. Maybe Chappy can have a go. The only other Movement track that might fit would be Chosen Time. I'd welcome that.

Can’t imagine Mr Hook would be too pleased at Mr Chapman ‘nicking’ his song, along with bass lines. 😉

I’d love for Chosen Time to be played.

I don’t think Truth would be too out of place. If they can do In A Lonely Place (which they do occasionally), they can do Truth.

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I agree about Crystal. Geninuely surprised that some consider it a classic New Order single. My favourite from that era is actually Here to Stay, which sounded great when they played it in Oakland back in 2012.

I've been complaining about the dearth of Technique tracks for decades (the time, not the track)!

I really love Crystal, but I’d agree with dropping it. Similarly, Singularity, which I also love.
OK, ‘drop’ might be a bit strong. I’d settle for the pair of them to be shifted to later in the set. The sets are a little too predictable now, with either of those two tracks being the opener.

Love ‘Here To Stay’ also, so would love to see that return to the set.

More Technique tracks would be welcome. But which ones?

Dream Attack and Vanishing Point are periodically performed.

Fine Time and Round & Round work well live, especially the former, so these are options.

Think the band once said Run didn’t really work live and Guilty Partner was a bit of a disaster last time they played it.

So, how about a showing of All The Way, Love Less or (even better) Mr. Disco?

Yep, I’d be all over that. 😊
tapebias  
#12 Posted : 01 July 2019 09:17:04(UTC)
tapebias

I thought the MIF sets were really interesting. Much more what I want to hear than TF/TPK/BM etc.

Lonesome Tonight / Age of Consent / 586 / Ultraviolence / Love Vigilantes / 1963 were all good additions to the set in recent years. As much as I love Fine Time and Mr Disco I think they were of their time and might be too much to see Uncle Bernard waddling about.

I doubt I'd go back at the moment. The first time I saw them they played 7 unreleased songs - not expecting that, but a shake up would be good.
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:24:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

I watched on tv last night The Cure's headline set at Glastonbury.Have to be honest, they were bloody good.Plainsong kicked things off and was immense.Made me nostalgic for something but not sure what.

The 80s?

I enjoyed The Cure last night too. This is the first year I've had iPlayer directly on my TV and it makes Glastonbury-watching an absolute dream.
Full sets by every act on the five biggest stages. No presenters butting in to tell you how great it is (yes I know, shuddup Lauren etc). Perfect.

I've only seen The Cure live once back in...2009 apparently.
I probably watched the musicians more closely last night though, as I was quite far back at the O2 gig. I was looking at their bass player and thinking - yeah you are rather Peter Hook-like. The way he held his instrument down low in front of him...
I guess I'm a bit of a fairweather fan with The Cure. Plainsong is probably too obscure for me. I like A Forest and some of the big hits like Pictures Of You, Close To Me and Inbetween days. I tend to glaze over with some of the deeper cuts. Enjoyable overall though.
Also enjoyed: Interpol, Tame Impala and The Charlatans on Friday.
Lewis Capaldi (new "discovery" for me), Chemical Brothers and even Liam Gallagher (!) on Saturday. Miley Cyrus was filth.
Fat White Family and Vampire Weekend (& The Cure) on Sunday. Also caught up with Saturday's Hot Chip set last night. I like the way they turned "Boy From School" into the slow-down bit from Lil Louis' French Kiss. Very playful.
Still plan on watching: Kurt Vile, Mavis Staples, and Johnny Marr. Looks like it's all there for 30 days.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#14 Posted : 01 July 2019 12:23:49(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

The 80s?

I enjoyed The Cure last night too. This is the first year I've had iPlayer directly on my TV and it makes Glastonbury-watching an absolute dream.
Full sets by every act on the five biggest stages. No presenters butting in to tell you how great it is (yes I know, shuddup Lauren etc). Perfect.

I've only seen The Cure live once back in...2009 apparently.
I probably watched the musicians more closely last night though, as I was quite far back at the O2 gig. I was looking at their bass player and thinking - yeah you are rather Peter Hook-like. The way he held his instrument down low in front of him...
I guess I'm a bit of a fairweather fan with The Cure. Plainsong is probably too obscure for me. I like A Forest and some of the big hits like Pictures Of You, Close To Me and Inbetween days. I tend to glaze over with some of the deeper cuts. Enjoyable overall though.
Also enjoyed: Interpol, Tame Impala and The Charlatans on Friday.
Lewis Capaldi (new "discovery" for me), Chemical Brothers and even Liam Gallagher (!) on Saturday. Miley Cyrus was filth.
Fat White Family and Vampire Weekend (& The Cure) on Sunday. Also caught up with Saturday's Hot Chip set last night. I like the way they turned "Boy From School" into the slow-down bit from Lil Louis' French Kiss. Very playful.
Still plan on watching: Kurt Vile, Mavis Staples, and Johnny Marr. Looks like it's all there for 30 days.

Yeah i guess nostalgia for being 17 in the mid 80s.

The first year you've had iPlayer directly on your tv? What? Have you been living under a rock ? Or do you mean the first time you've bothered using it for Glastonbury ( or Glastonberryyyy!!! as a lot of overseas performers like to say it)?Yes it is better watching a live stream of a stage rather than BBC2 or BBC4.My brother texted me just before the Chemical Brothers on Saturday night saying he was watching on BBC4; i messaged him back saying it'd be better choosing the live stream as BBC have history of cutting away on their channel to something else before the set is over (notoriously New Order's 2005 Glastonbury set).And yeah, with the live stream you don't have to put up with the BBC presenters, though Mark Radcliffe is always a hoot.

Saw some of Tame Impala but was watching Jon Hopkins on the Park (?) stage.Cracking stuff he did.Might try watch more of Tame Impala on catch up.I also enjoyed Comet Is Coming, Pale Waves, Chemical Brothers, Kylie (yep!) Miley Cyrus, The Good The Bad And The Queen and much more.Oh and i watched Liam but i just find him fucking awful.Chemical Brothers by far my favourite of the weekend.Just bonkers brilliance and a lovely touch with the tribute to Keith Flint on the screen at the end.

Yep The Cure were great.Though my mind did wander at times and start thinking things like does Robert Smith go to the supermarket with his lipstick and hairspray on? And has he got grandkids that he scares with that look? But yeah, hard to say as a New Order fan but the guy is bloody talented.And at the age of 60 he still doesn't need an autocue like someone else i could mention.How does he remember all those lyrics and guitar lines? Guess it's all the relentless gigging and touring.Wish they'd done Charlotte Sometimes and one or two more from the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me album. They did do Push from Head On The Door , an old favourite.Probably wise they didn't or don't do Killing An Arab these days.

Edited by user 01 July 2019 12:41:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2019 14:54:50(UTC)
Debaser

^ Massively off topic now but...yes, I don't give up old technology easily (I still have a working cassette walkman somewhere!). My tv dates back to 2012 or something . It doesn't have iPlayer built in, but it still works so I'm not chucking it!
I owned a Freeview Plus box (Sky Plus for plebs) from about 2007 until last year. So I just "taped" stuff I was gonna miss (someone's gonna tell me it was a hard drive and not a tape aren't they?). Useful for things like films which aren't always available on catch up (e.g. Film 4) or Saturday's MOTD which you coudn't find on iPlayer until Monday.
But when the box died last year, I just bought a Firestick for twenty five pounds (!) which gives me iplayer/ catch up services. It also gives me all the films and live football I could want courtesy of the various "unofficial" apps you can put on it. In that sense I'm bang up to date now! If anyone wants me to talk them through putting these apps onto a firestick or other android box/device, just send me a PM! Don't pay for sideloaded firesticks on ebay - they're a rip off!

There was no Glasto last year But I watched 2017 & 2016 by calling up iPlayer on my laptop and connecting it to my TV with an HDMI cable (!). Wireless mouse was used as a remote. So yeah I did use it before but in a messy way.
Other than that one event per year, I didn't miss having iPlayer on TV; I was happy to record things - which is a bit old skool, but I guess I got into the habit back in the days of VCRs...
keepitcoming  
#16 Posted : 01 July 2019 15:30:11(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
My having to cancel norway and England this summer --they played Transmission ,the b!$@/#!$--it is now imperative that NO get done goofing off , write more songs, and make an effort to tour with these songs.
Cries and Whispers
Denial
EEG,
YSF
Leave me Alone
This Time Tonight
All Day Long
Paradise
Love Less, Dream Attack,Run,Round and Round, Everyone Everywhere ,Ruined in a Day ,1963,True Faith,Here to Stay , Guilt is.....,Hellbent, California Grass, ,Sirens, Tutti, Temptation,Transmission.
Only 25 songs!!. And add 2 more from Brohood, , another siren or republic, another lost siren(Recoil ),behind closed doors, Such a Good thing and 2 new ones ,only 33 songs . They can take a break after 18 songs - 1 1/2 hours come back and play 15 more in one hour and 15 minutes . Record it all , everyone is happy, then they can have a break .
Hey ,after all ,they still owe us for all those 10 song sets in the 80's. Very irresponsible .and not fan friendly at all. Personally ,i believe Bernard can do it .Steve has some huge responsibilities, so he gets slow songs interspersed to recover , maybe have a longer break with a hot tub and several masseurs ready for the break. Bernard can let Phil have more lead guitar parts, and they can have dueling guitar fun together. Maybe have comic relief with TBTHof G-- all wearing heavymetal funny hair and stuff. C'mon NO , do it, record it , make it happen .

We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#17 Posted : 02 July 2019 00:04:45(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
I was looking at their bass player and thinking - yeah you are rather Peter Hook-like. The way he held his instrument down low in front of him...

See also - the big message writing on the bass rig...

Also interesting that Robert Smith's voice seems to be just as strong and clear as it ever was, and he didn't seem to need an autocue either

Cure fans are pretty blessed that the band continue to play 3 hour sets and go through the whole back catalog, pleasing the hardcore fans with deep cuts, but still playing "the hits" too

I suspect that is what Hooky really wanted for NO to be like at this stage in their career.

I have no great desire to see NO play live again, unless a miracle occurs and they stop being so predictable

thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Debaser on 02/07/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Ben  
#18 Posted : 02 July 2019 02:13:22(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Saw them at Rock Werchter festival (Belgium) Sunday night. Short set, only 12 songs, but they put the crowd on fire. Although 1/3 of the audience left the marquee after a few songs only - probably young people repelled by the sound of the 80s and the outdated arcade-game-type videos - the remaining 2/3 danced like crazy from first to last row.

I must confess that I hate these videos, they make them look like some cheap 80s nostalgia band. Old songs like Subculture and BLT sound really outdated when performed in front of moving colored geometric figures. I find this so embarrassing that I won't go to their next show in Brussels in October.

The setlist was indeed totally unoriginal: Singularity / Restless / Shadowplay / Transmission / YSF / Subculture / BLT / Plastic / True Faith / Blue Monday / Temptation / LWTUA. Although it was the first time I saw them play Shadowplay, Transmission and Subculture, I would have preferred some Technique songs (never saw them play any), some never-played-yet Music Complete songs (Academic anyone?), or Subculture but with a decent background video.

For me they should drop BLT: I'm tired of it and embarrassed by Barney's wandering on stage and clumsy dance steps when he doesn't have a guitar in his hands. I'd like them to revert to the original True Faith. The remixes never made this song any good. Although Temptation is my favorite New Order song, I'm also growing tired of it and I'd like to see it replaced by EGG. I'm happy they dropped Tutti Frutti and POTHL for this short show - I love these songs, but not their live rendition with LaRoux's recorded vocals. I wish they'd drop them definitely or find a way to perform them without LaRoux's vocals. There are enough good songs on MC to replace them (did I mention Academic?).

Voilà.

thanks 1 user thanked Ben for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#19 Posted : 02 July 2019 02:25:00(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben Go to Quoted Post
Saw them at Rock Werchter festival (Belgium) Sunday night. Short set, only 12 songs, but they put the crowd on fire. Although 1/3 of the audience left the marquee after a few songs only - probably young people repelled by the sound of the 80s and the outdated arcade-game-type videos - the remaining 2/3 danced like crazy from first to last row.

I must confess that I hate these videos, they make them look like some cheap 80s nostalgia band. Old songs like Subculture and BLT sound really outdated when performed in front of moving colored geometric figures. I find this so embarrassing that I won't go to their next show in Brussels in October.

The setlist was indeed totally unoriginal: Singularity / Restless / Shadowplay / Transmission / YSF / Subculture / BLT / Plastic / True Faith / Blue Monday / Temptation / LWTUA. Although it was the first time I saw them play Shadowplay, Transmission and Subculture, I would have preferred some Technique songs (never saw them play any), some never-played-yet Music Complete songs (Academic anyone?), or Subculture but with a decent background video.

For me they should drop BLT: I'm tired of it and embarrassed by Barney's wandering on stage and clumsy dance steps when he doesn't have a guitar in his hands. I'd like them to revert to the original True Faith. The remixes never made this song any good. Although Temptation is my favorite New Order song, I'm also growing tired of it and I'd like to see it replaced by EGG. I'm happy they dropped Tutti Frutti and POTHL for this short show - I love these songs, but not their live rendition with LaRoux's recorded vocals. I wish they'd drop them definitely or find a way to perform them without LaRoux's vocals. There are enough good songs on MC to replace them (did I mention Academic?).

Voilà.

They played Academic earlier this month in Norway. It still turns up.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Wax  
#20 Posted : 02 July 2019 05:50:21(UTC)
Wax

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)

Voilà.

Okay, so a lot to unpack here. It's a bit hard to believe that people would pay a good amount of money to see a band and then leave not even halfway through it. Also, there's a huge 80s revival going on right now that my generation is eating up. Synthwave is getting a lot of attention and my peers are going back into the 80s catalogue for inspiration which obviously includes New Order.

I personally love the videos. I think they provide an interesting experience for their shows. The designs aren't dated at all, in fact, I think they were designed by a young popular designer as well.

Also, it's odd that you'd say Sub-Culture and BLT sound outdated since they're the most recent ones of the bunch to be remixed for a fresher feel.

Additionally, they can't get rid of BLT or True Faith for their set especially in America. People who don't explicitly know New Order still are familiar with "the band that has that song that goes 'Every time I see you falling..." And I think they transformed Temptation into the perfect closer - even better than LWTUA. If they had to get rid of a "hit" it'd be the Perfect Kiss for me. I think Hooky exclusively makes that track with his bassline. Tom does fine but Hooky has the grit when he plays it.

I agree, I think Transmission is a miss as well the other JD songs and we do need more Technique songs. They did do well with Isolation when they performed it a few years back.

From what I've read on here, its very interesting is that mostly everyone on here wants EGG to come back. I agree.
thanks 1 user thanked Wax for this useful post.
Debaser  
#21 Posted : 02 July 2019 06:25:00(UTC)
Debaser

Saw them at Rock Werchter festival (Belgium) Sunday night. ...

Okay, so a lot to unpack here. It's a bit hard to believe that people would pay a good amount of money to see a band and then leave not even halfway through it. Also, there's a huge 80s revival going on right now that my generation is eating up. Synthwave is getting a lot of attention and my peers are going back into the 80s catalogue for inspiration which obviously includes New Order.

I personally love the videos. I think they provide an interesting experience for their shows. The designs aren't dated at all, in fact, I think they were designed by a young popular designer as well.

Also, it's odd that you'd say Sub-Culture and BLT sound outdated since they're the most recent ones of the bunch to be remixed for a fresher feel.

Additionally, they can't get rid of BLT or True Faith for their set especially in America. People who don't explicitly know New Order still are familiar with "the band that has that song that goes 'Every time I see you falling..." And I think they transformed Temptation into the perfect closer - even better than LWTUA. If they had to get rid of a "hit" it'd be the Perfect Kiss for me. I think Hooky exclusively makes that track with his bassline. Tom does fine but Hooky has the grit when he plays it.

I agree, I think Transmission is a miss as well the other JD songs and we do need more Technique songs. They did do well with Isolation when they performed it a few years back.

From what I've read on here, its very interesting is that mostly everyone on here wants EGG to come back. I agree.

I probably agree with most of your points, Wax. But just to clarify: Rock Werchter is a huge Glastonbury type music festival in Belgium. So they didn't buy tickets specifically to see NO any more than Glasto fans bought tickets specifically to see Miley Cyrus etc (did I just compare NO to Miley Cyrus?!). They had a choice of what to watch. Big choice.
lee  
#22 Posted : 02 July 2019 07:56:26(UTC)
lee

Saw them at Rock Werchter festival (Belgium) Sunday night. ...

I probably agree with most of your points, Wax. But just to clarify: Rock Werchter is a huge Glastonbury type music festival in Belgium. So they didn't buy tickets specifically to see NO any more than Glasto fans bought tickets specifically to see Miley Cyrus etc (did I just compare NO to Miley Cyrus?!). They had a choice of what to watch. Big choice.

I personally don't think they start the set right at festivals.....you've got to think that the best part of the crowd will probably only know the hits

They should start the set off with regret at a festival....that would get the crowd onside straight away

Nexus8Replicant  
#23 Posted : 03 July 2019 11:29:20(UTC)
Nexus8Replicant

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The set list certainly needs changing around here and there. The MIF shows were really a triumph, the set lists were imaginative and its those kind of twists which really rejuvenate a fans love of the band.
I'd have to agree that they should minimise the JD numbers in their set. I absolutely love Joy Division but IMO they don't really do their songs justice (although the MIF version of Decades was astonishing). LWTUA in particular sounds laboured and lacklustre. For the same reason, they can also drop Ceremony. That's the sound of a young band, and young they certainly aren't anymore (sadly, neither am I).
I'd love to hear more Technique (been listening to that today, blends perfectly with the sunshine) tracks, Leave Me Alone, All Day Long, Sooner Than You Think etc. Barney's voice is a problem with a lot of the older songs nowadays - can anyone imagine him making a good job on Age Of Consent or Face Up?
But what I really want is for them not to become a nostalgia band. No touring of albums in their entirety thanks, and some new material is long overdue. Sadly, I'm not confident re: the latter. Was Music Complete to be taken literally?
thanks 1 user thanked Nexus8Replicant for this useful post.