logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Complete  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2017 08:03:09(UTC)
Complete

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
BBC FOUR is showing TOP OF THE POPS 31.03.83 which features the classic performance of "Blue Monday". I know it's been of youtube for years, but it's on the shown on BBC Four, so maybe the resolutionwill be better. You will also be able to see them playing live, while everyone else (U2, Duran Duran, Style council) are miming.

Worth a(nother) watch. It's on thursday 23rd Feb at 7.30.Happy
thanks 1 user thanked Complete for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Ken Doherty  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2017 08:19:38(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Cheers, I saw TOTP last Friday and it showed Blue Monday as a new entry, but we didn't get to hear any of it, instead there was Altered Images, Big Country and...bloody Leo Sayer red face
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/02/2017(UTC)
lee  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2017 11:42:23(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
i'd hardly call it a classic performance

terrible is a word i'd use
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2017 13:35:19(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
I suppose BM on TOTP is interesting for the comedy value of it but i always though the performance live of Thieves Like Us on TOTP in May 84 was cool as fuck.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2017 13:35:46(UTC)
Fotz

Just watching my recording of this from last night.New Order were on first on that edition of TOTP? I'd always remembered it as them being on half way through.Funny how time bends the memory.Style Council were on after them with Speak Like A Child with Weller (and Tracie, remember her?) miming.Weller miming on TOTP after New Order played and sang live, that Weller bloke was always such a soft sell out cnutLoL

Edit: And U2 were on that same edition performing Two Hearts Beat As One in the TOTP studio? Don't recall that either.Bongo and his idiots miming like Paul Weller.Mugs.

Edited by user 24 February 2017 13:46:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 25/02/2017(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2017 05:45:56(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lee Go to Quoted Post
i'd hardly call it a classic performance

terrible is a word i'd use

That seems to be the perceived wisdom, and it was pretty raw (lots of dodgy keyboard parts, Hooky's bass much louder than everything and Barney's vocals were a bit shaky) - but I vividly remember seeing it as a 12 year old kid and thinking "THIS BAND ARE AMAZING AND THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN ON TOTP!!" Mainly because you can't forget how nuts it was to see band actually play live on there - let alone a band playing live who didn't seem to give a toss

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/03/2017(UTC)
Old Blue  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2017 10:16:50(UTC)
Old Blue

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Steve Morris screws up the order in which he is supposed to feed the floppy disks into his keyboard so when there is supposed to be the dramatic thunderclap, it lets out a wimpy 'aaaaaah' instead. If you look you can see him laughing to himself when it happens.
thanks 1 user thanked Old Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/03/2017(UTC)
79order  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2017 10:59:48(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Young Peter reminded us all in Brighton last night that it's 34 years since it's release (7.3.83) where did those years go!
It was a seminal TOTP performance mind 😂
Those who came
thanks 1 user thanked 79order for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/03/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 12 June 2019 13:07:44(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Just watching my recording of this from last night.New Order were on first on that edition of TOTP? I'd always remembered it as them being on half way through.Funny how time bends the memory.Style Council were on after them with Speak Like A Child with Weller (and Tracie, remember her?) miming.Weller miming on TOTP after New Order played and sang live, that Weller bloke was always such a soft sell out cnutLoL

Edit: And U2 were on that same edition performing Two Hearts Beat As One in the TOTP studio? Don't recall that either.Bongo and his idiots miming like Paul Weller.Mugs.

I know I'm resurrecting a really old thread, but just thought I'd let you know that, TOTP actually repeated the 'Blue Monday' performance on 06/10/83 (presumably after the song re-entered the charts).

This might explain why you remembered their performance in the middle of the programme, not the start, and why you don't remember Bongo.

Here's the listings for both editions of TOTP that featured the 'Blue Monday' appearance:

31/03/83 (Richard Skinner & Steve Wright)

New Order – “Blue Monday” (17)
The Style Council – “Speak Like A Child” (4)
Mari Wilson – “Cry Me A River” (30)
U2 – “Two Hearts Beat As One” (24)
Kajagoogoo – “Ooh To Be Ah” (20)
Tracey Ullman – “Breakaway” (18)
Duran Duran – “Is There Something I Should Know?” (1) (video)
Kenny Everett – brief interview as Sid Snot
Kenny Everett – “Snot Rap” (27) (audience dancing/credits)

06/10/83 (David Jensen & John Peel)

Freeez – “Pop Goes My Love” (33)
David Bowie – “Modern Love” (2) (video)
Depeche Mode – “Love In Itself 2” (26)
Meat Loaf – “Midnight At The Lost & Found” (28) (video)
Nick Heyward – “Blue Hat For A Blue Day” (24)
Howard Jones – “New Song” (13) (video)
David Grant – “Love Will Find A Way” (38)
The Alarm – “68 Guns” (19)
New Order – “Blue Monday” (10) (rpt from 31/03/83)
Culture Club – “Karma Chameleon” (1) (rpt from 22/09/83)
The Rocksteady Crew – “(Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew” (29) (audience dancing/credits)

So, yeah, the repeat performance was a lot later in the show than the original showing. Do any of the other artists ring any bells with you? DM, Bowie, Freeez, Howard Jones etc?

I've been doing some digging around about the band's appearances on TOTP.
'Blue Monday' was actually played a third time on 14/04/83. It was the 'playout' record at the end of the programme, with the audience dancing along as the credits rolled.

Not only that, but 'Confusion ' was also a 'playout' record on 01/09/83 and, incredibly...

'Love Will Tear Us Apart' was too, on 10/11/83.

I have clips of the above 'events', so if anyone is desperate enough to want to see them, just let me know.
Just imagine... BBC TOTP buffoons grooving away to the dulcet tones of IKC. Sounds too unlikely to be true...

Oh - LWTUA is actually on YouTube (in pretty awful quality; much worse than mine):
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/06/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2019 22:44:01(UTC)
Fotz

^
I get what you’re saying but no, it was definitely the 31.03.83 edition that I watched. I remember being aware that it was repeated on the Oct 83 edition but didn’t see that , was told by someone at school or something that it was a repeat . Every time I heard Blue Monday in summer 83 I was reminded of that band I’d seen on TOTP in early spring . Didn’t get into them upon watching that episode of TOTP but BM found its way into my brain on repeated plays on the radio. By the time it was repeated on TOTP in Oct 83 I had bought the 12” and also Confusion 12” ( shame they never did that song live on TOTP). I prob saw at the time that edition with Confusion as the play -out track but if you could wing it my way or stick it on YouTube please. Ta.Prob saw the edition with LWTUA play out as well.
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2019 23:29:40(UTC)
perspexorange

Ah, OK.
I just thought that it was a possible reason for you remembering things in a different way, but it sounds like it isn't that.

I had a similar thing recently seeing the reshowing of the episode of TOTP that included 'True Faith' (06/08/87). The BBC have recently repeated this episode.

I definitely know that I didn't see 'TF' at the time and didn't actually catch it until someone sent me a videotape of it circa 1990.

However, watching that episode, I definitely remember seeing 'Spagna' doing 'Call Me', so it makes me wonder how I missed 'New Order'.

The only explanations are:

a) As 'New Order' were on first, maybe I missed the very beginning of the programme (having my tea etc.); or
b) 'Spagna' also appeared on the previous week's show (30/07/87), so maybe I saw that episode with her on and not 06/08/87.

The only thing wrong with theory b) above is that New Order also appeared on that programme too (presumably when the video for 'TF' was shown). I, again, have no recollection of that.

I used to watch TOTP religiously circa 1987-1997, so it seems strange that I have no memory of New Order.
As you said, it's probably just our memories skewing events.

(PS don't ask me why I remember 'Spagna' so vividly. I think it's just that that track reminds me of a certain time in my life.).
Fotzepolitic  
#12 Posted : 13 June 2019 01:22:55(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah it is weird how you miss things or have no memory of them. For example I used to listen to the charts obsessively when I was about 11 -12 . I would have been about 11 in 1980 when Love Will Tear Us Apart got to number 13 in the charts. But I have no memory of hearing the song or being aware of it or of even being aware of Joy Division until about 1983 when I was starting to get interested in New Order and looking up as much info as I could find. I didn’t hear LWTUA until it’s re-release in late 1983. Always baffles me I never heard it in 1980 despite it being a top 20 hit and I listened to the charts and radio all the time back then. Similar with Temptation . Never heard it in my life til a couple of years after it had been a top 30 record.

Maybe explainable regarding LWTUA as there was of course TOTP not broadcast around that time because of strike action and maybe LWTUA just wasn’t played on the radio but I would have heard it on the chart rundown on Sundays as radio 1 would play every song in the top 30.No memory of it whatsoever before 1983.
Michael Monkhouse  
#13 Posted : 13 June 2019 01:59:32(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Copying and pasting an old post:
There's a popular misconception that NO always did live-but-shite TOTP appearances which did chart performances more harm than good. Like a lot of the mystique around the band, it sounds awesome and fab and very NO but isn't actually true, or at least ain't been true for Decades till A Later Date. BM sure, but TLU is fine - Gillian actually said she was proud they managed to do justice to it - while True Faith and even the much-maligned Technique trax (Bernard: 'The hardest LP to play live') are hardly an embarrassment. In fact this was when they won over a bunch of fans, including that cunt called Michael Monkhouse.
After that they were a finely-honed live outfit and it's unsure TOTP appearances were live at all, let alone crappy. Only half the synth seems to be covered in World, and Hooky's bass has a fascinating ability to play itself in Ruined in a Day and Here To Stay.
File under: NO the indie band, NO never play the same set twice, NO tell interviewers to fuck off.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#14 Posted : 13 June 2019 04:57:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Very true.
I really liked the BM performance.
Given the complexities of the track and the fragile sequencers, I’m pretty impressed with how ‘good’ it sounded.

TF and TLU appearances were magnificent too.
Something to be proud off for the band, IMO.

I direct people who don’t know the band that well to those two clips to show how bloody awesome (and bloody minded) the band were in the 80s.

As regards not remembering tracks, I’m ashamed that I don’t remember BM at the time.

I was 11 in ‘83 and wasn’t really up on music.
But a track of that magnitude? I really should’ve remembered it. I certainly remember a lot of pop songs from the era (and not just hearing them in later years).
I think I only became aware of BM when I started to like the band when TF and Substance came out (and I was 15 and massively into music by then).
Fotzepolitic  
#15 Posted : 13 June 2019 05:46:20(UTC)
Fotz

^ Wow that's strange you never heard BM when it was first in the charts, on the radio etc. Even if you weren't following music back then it would have been pretty hard to avoid the song.It was on the radio and everywhere a LOT.

Yeah this misconception that New Order were always crap on TOTP; it was only BM on TOTP that was a disaster.Well when i say disaster i mean from a musically proficient point of view.Later appearances for stuff like Thieves Like Us, True Faith and Round & Round were all pretty tight though Hooky's bass was always way too loud and maybe Bernard's singing on Round & Round on TOTP was a bit off in a couple of places.

Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 14 June 2019 03:17:11(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Two people agree with me. I'm worried.
RIAD is so obviously miming to K-Klass' music - love the way both Bernard's guitar and Hooky's bass play themselves.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
is it bro  
#17 Posted : 14 June 2019 08:04:25(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Black eye
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Very true.
I really liked the BM performance.
Given the complexities of the track and the fragile sequencers, I’m pretty impressed with how ‘good’ it sounded.

TF and TLU appearances were magnificent too.
Something to be proud off for the band, IMO.

I direct people who don’t know the band that well to those two clips to show how bloody awesome (and bloody minded) the band were in the 80s.

As regards not remembering tracks, I’m ashamed that I don’t remember BM at the time.

I was 11 in ‘83 and wasn’t really up on music.
But a track of that magnitude? I really should’ve remembered it. I certainly remember a lot of pop songs from the era (and not just hearing them in later years).
I think I only became aware of BM when I started to like the band when TF and Substance came out (and I was 15 and massively into music by then).

Likewise I missed BM first time around. I was 11 too. The first time I heard it was at a school disco 4 years later (and dancing to it).

I guess that 1983 episode must have been one of the rare occasions I didn’t sit down and watch TOTP😕
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 14 June 2019 08:49:41(UTC)
perspexorange

Glad I'm not alone then.

Still - it seems incredible that we didn't hear it.

I sometimes wonder about things like this.
For instance, I cannot recall when I first heard LWTUA.
I do remember, that when I first got into NO, I heard that the band used to be called 'Joy Division' previously and that they had a song called 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.
I distinctly remember thinking 'I'm sure I know that record' but having a really hazy memory of it at the time; like I couldn't be sure that I knew it.

Then, when I finally heard it, it not sounding quite how I thought it would, but still being similar.
Makes me think that, maybe, the first time I heard it, it was actually a cover version. Maybe even the (shudder) Paul Young version.

Edited by user 14 June 2019 08:52:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#19 Posted : 14 June 2019 09:34:30(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: is it bro Go to Quoted Post
Likewise I missed BM first time around. I was 11 too. The first time I heard it was at a school disco 4 years later (and dancing to it).

I guess that 1983 episode must have been one of the rare occasions I didn’t sit down and watch TOTP😕

I was about the same age as you (still am?). And I was very aware of BM because Tommy Vance (RIP) used to play it in full on the Sunday Top 40 show. For...months! It was the only time I would hear the whole track. So I taped it, as I did with much of the top 40 (started doing so in 1979 when my dad bought a tape deck, I think Gary Numan's Cars was the first thing I taped). But as BM eventually slid down the charts, my tape got chewed up. Annoying. So I went out and bought the 12" ("Holiday" edition - no die cuts) because I just couldn't do without it. I had the Patrick Cowley mix of I Feel Love on the same tape, but I didn't replace that for quite some time.
So by the time NO appeared on TOTPs, I was super keen to see them. But I believe it was actually on early that night (can't believe I remember this). It was normally on from 7pm til 7.40 but something was happening that night and it was a shorter half hour show from 6.30 til 7pm - my dinner time. When I realised I had missed my chance to catch them, I was DEVASTATED!! What did they look like? Did they play for seven minutes?? I moaned about it for days. Maybe that's why you missed it at the time.

Glad I'm not alone then.

Still - it seems incredible that we didn't hear it.

For instance, I cannot recall when I first heard LWTUA.
Makes me think that, maybe, the first time I heard it, it was actually a cover version. Maybe even the (shudder) Paul Young version.

Yep, Paul Young for me. That also came out in '83 (although it was a single in '84). I have no idea if the JD version got much airplay when it was released as I was living in a tropical country in '80 &'81, so I have this horrible gap in my western pop culture memories/knowledge. I really liked the Paul Young version! It was all I knew...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#20 Posted : 14 June 2019 11:01:00(UTC)
Fotz

Not sure if i'd heard Blue Monday before i saw the band do it on that TOTP on 31.03.83.Maybe i'd heard it once on the radio but possibly the first time i heard it was the live version on that TOTP.I have a feeling it may have been that live version and which was why i initially didn't like the song, i didn't think much to that version on the telly though i maybe didn't realise at the time it was live! I think i probably just thought it sounded shit. I too , like Debaser, recall Tommy Vance playing it every week on the Top 40 rundown on Sundays but that was after the appearance on TOTP.Vance i'm sure even played The Beach one or two times as i remember the different, "cold" ending.Vance may have had one of the copies with the labels the wrong sides.I think what finally made me take to the song and go out and buy it was when the DJ played it at a Thursday night youth disco thing we sometimes went to in summer 83.Those machine gun drums on the intro sounded fantastic on a large disco sound system.So utterly cool and unlike anything i'd ever heard.

Can't recall exactly when i first heard LWTUA but it would have been on the radio around the time of its re-release in late 83.I think i'd read in Smash Hits (yeah, i know) that Factory records, who i'd now become aware of after buying Blue Monday were going to re-release a song called Love Will Tear Us Apart by some old band called Joy Division.I don't know why but i thought it was some old Motown-ish song! Really can't explain why i thought it would be something like that.Maybe the title sounded Motown-ish.As i said in earlier post i've always been baffled how i never heard , or don't remember, it from when it was a top 20 hit in 1980.Think the first thing that struck me when i first started being aware of it on the radio on its re-releae was the drums.I remember thinking wow that drummer is pretty good.Before i heard it I think i expected LWTUA to be a seven minute long song because Blue Monday was.I think i'd become aware this band that did Blue Monday used to be Joy Division and that all their songs were seven minutes long haha!
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 16/06/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/06/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#21 Posted : 14 June 2019 15:00:28(UTC)
perspexorange

You see, this is why this forum is the best.

Just great hearing all these reminisces. And why I visit these forums every day.

And, yes, Stephen Morris is one bloody brilliant drummer. And seems a genuinely lovely guy.
Debaser  
#22 Posted : 15 June 2019 04:30:42(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
I should have read the whole thread before posting above. Starting to think that it was the repeat performance I missed. I have a funny feeling I may have seen the original (or switched on half way through) but it simply didn't mean much to me at the time.
Mind you the song list for the March broadcast appears to be shorter than the other one, which would fit with my thoughts that the program was shorter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anywaaaay there's one thing this thread is surely missing, isn't there?
This

Edited by user 15 June 2019 04:37:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#23 Posted : 15 June 2019 05:01:37(UTC)
Fotz

The Genome website states the 31.03.83 edition of TOTP was on ( or scheduled to be on) from 7.25pm to 8pm and the 06.10.83 edition was on ( or scheduled to be on) from 7.30pm til 8.10pm.

So both editions were apparently on round about the same time of evening but the October edition was 5 minutes longer.Those schedules might have had a last minute change on one of them ?

There’s an often used photo of New Order on TOTP doing Blue Monday but Bernard is wearing different clothes. Can’t find and post it right now as am posting from phone and it’s too fiddly. I guess the photo is from a rehearsal and in it B has I think dark trousers and maybe a brown short sleeved shirt ( or vice versa) . In the aired version he has jeans and denim jacket. Interesting little bit of trivia for you there.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 16/06/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/06/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#24 Posted : 16 June 2019 03:05:27(UTC)
perspexorange

There’s an often used photo of New Order on TOTP doing Blue Monday but Bernard is wearing different clothes. Can’t find and post it right now as am posting from phone and it’s too fiddly. I guess the photo is from a rehearsal and in it B has I think dark trousers and maybe a brown short sleeved shirt ( or vice versa) . In the aired version he has jeans and denim jacket. Interesting little bit of trivia for you there.

Wow! You're absolutely right. I've never noticed this before. Good spot!

Actual performance, as screened on BBC1:

UserPostedImage

Different take?:

UserPostedImage

So maybe they recorded it at least two times?
Maybe the first take was even worse? Wink

Fotzepolitic  
#25 Posted : 16 June 2019 05:27:00(UTC)
Fotz

Wow! You're absolutely right. I've never noticed this before. Good spot!

Actual performance, as screened on BBC1:

UserPostedImage

Different take?:

UserPostedImage

So maybe they recorded it at least two times?
Maybe the first take was even worse? Wink

Yeah i first noticed it some years ago.Wonder if Steve fed the right floppy disc in on the other take? Maybe if they have the recording of this other take it'll be included on the P,C & L definitive box? Ah well, we can but hope.