logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2019 11:55:30(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Tried finding this before some years back but no luck.There was a website or Soundcloud page of old Peel shows but alas not the 06.05.85 edition of his show.

I tuned into Peel's show that night 6th May 1985 after a horribly boring and despairing May bank holiday as a 16 year old in the hope i could be saved by the longshot that Peel would play tracks off New Order's upcoming new album Low Life that was to be released a week later.I hadn't heard a single note of the upcoming album and didn't even have any live boots back then.Then a few minutes into the show i gasped as Peel announced he'd received a copy of Low Life just before the show went on air.He hadn't even to had a chance listen to the songs himself.He proceeded to play Love Vigilantes, Perfect Kiss, This Time Of Night and Sunrise one after the other as i grappled around frantically trying to find and get a cassette into the stereo to record it.He was hearing them for the first time as were his listeners.Recall he later might have played Sooner Than You Think and SubCulture.Then the next night he played Face Up.I didn't hear Elegia til i bought the album on its release a week later.

I managed to start recording halfway through the first song Love Vgilantes on the 06.05.85 show and the all the other songs aired but the tape got discarded and lost once i'd bought the album and i've never heard the show ever again but would be fascinated to hear it once more.Anyone have it or know where i can find it? Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
GotBlueEyes  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2019 01:52:49(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Doesn't seem to have been found - the Peel group have documented the tracklisting from the following night (based on the recording being available to listen to in the British Library)
https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/07_May_1985
He did indeed syart and end the show with Face-up and The Prefect Kiss that night, but the tape rip generally available does not include them sadly

Worth checking back though as it's an ongoing project and tapes turn up all the time

I'll pass on your recollections as that is enough to make a start on the tracklisting if nothing else
thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Fotz on 06/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2019 03:47:43(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Ah many thanks, GotBlueEyes.Thanks for the heads up about that website.

Think now Peel may not have played Sooner Than You Think on the 06.05.85 show and I didn’t hear til I bought the album.Though I’ve just recall I had of course got a live version of it that I’d listened to again and again - they did at the BBC thing August 84. So I had heard one of the songs months before the album came out, albeit a live version. That was the only one I’d got though, as I said I didn’t at that time have any gig bootlegs.I recall now not hearing the album version of Soooner Than You Think til I bought the LP.Recall being slightly startled at how upfront and loud the drums were on that one compared to the BBC live version I’d been listening to over the previous 7-8 months.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes on 06/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)