logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:35:53(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Can anyone help me out?

I have a load of separate videos from this gig and want to try to piece them together in the order they were shown on the programme. Also, I wondered whether anyone knows whether they were all from the same broadcast or whether they were broadcast on two more days / programmes.

The songs I have are:

Krafty
True Faith
Waiting For The Sirens' Call
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Run Wild
She's Lost Control

There was also various interview clips used to 'bookend' the songs.

According to this website, only the first four tracks were broadcast originally. Is this correct?

https://factoryrecords.o...new_order_live_video.php

Based on that info, and from what I've managed to piece together (from my clips and clips on youtube), I think the programme contained the following:

Interview with Barney & Phil (part 1) (talking about Moby)
Krafty
Interview with Barney & Phil (part 2) (talking about groupies)
True Faith
Interview with Barney & Phil (part 3) (talking about 'asking too many questions', just before commercial break)
Interview with Hooky & Steve (talking about Hooky's psychiatrist, just after commercial break)
Waiting For The Sirens' Call
Love Will Tear Us Apart

Is this correct? I'm not sure whether Love Will Tear Us Apart was shown then.
Were the other two tracks shown at a later date? If so, what date?

I suppose what I'm saying is, did anyone video the whole thing and can corroborate any of the above?
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/04/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:55:46(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Got me wondering now. I vaguely recall the stuff may have been over 2 broadcasts, one on the Monday following the weekend and then the Tuesday night. I may have remembered that completely wrong though . So I’m not much help really, sorry! But something tells me there were 2 highlights programmes.I recorded to VHS whatever NO stuff was shown anyway.Uploaded the interview segments to YouTube many years ago. Thought it was hilarious interview with IMHO Bernard getting the better of Simon Anstill.

Will have to dig out my old VHS copy and see if I can work out if it was over 2 nights.

Run Wild and She’s Lost Control didn’t become available til the Glasgow DVD if memory serves me well.

I was at the gig, was a great night. A right good laff in the mosh pit in the days when I was still young and fit enough to jump around at the front.

Somehow I heard before I went down to London for the gig that it was to be broadcast on a radio station, can’t remember which now, maybe Capital FM? Set the tv box to record it and listened back soon as I got home and still have the recording.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:59:21(UTC)
Fotz

Or maybe the highlights shows were over 2 nights but the New Order bits were only featured on the first night ( the Monday) ?
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:09:08(UTC)
perspexorange

Ah - Of course. The Glasgow DVD. That's where the other two songs came from.
I was thinking that they were from a different highlights programme. Had completely forgotten that they were on the DVD. Cheers for the reminder.

I'm now pretty sure then that the first four tracks were all from one broadcast.
The only thing I can't really place (from watching the clips I have) is whether Love Will Tear Us Apart directly followed WFTSC on the broadcast. So, if you ever dig out your old VHS, if you could check on that, that would be great. But no worries if not; I'll assume that it did.

Nice memory share, by the way. I love stories like this.
Ah, the mosh-pit. A very dangerous place to be at a New Order gig. I'm convinced that the 'sliding doors' version of perspexorange died horribly at that gig, crushed under 20,000 crazed fans...

perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:23:45(UTC)
perspexorange

Whilst we're on the subject of running order of broadcasts, I have two or three different recordings of Glastonbury '05, all with different track listings:

Version 1

Crystal
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Run Wild (***)
Jetstream (bleurgh!)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Temptation (***)
World In Motion

Version 2

Crystal
Regret (***)
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Jetstream (bleurgh!, again)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
World In Motion

(***) = variations

I also have a foreign broadcast.

Not sure why I have two versions, but the BBC3 logo appears on some of the tracks, but not all. This makes me think that both versions are ones that have been spliced together from various sources.

Anyone got a video rip of the gig from the night it was broadcast and can check what songs they actually showed? Were these shown live on the night, or later on?
Any idea if there was a later broadcast with other tracks shown?
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:25:39(UTC)
Fotz

Managed to find and tried to play my old VHS recording of the Hyde Park stuff.Well, the tracking and the tape are almost completely shot but then i remembered i transferred it to digital a few years back.

Found my digital copy.Yep, seems first there's the interview bit with Bernard and Phil followed by Krafty, then more interview with B & P, then True Faith, then more B & P, then adbreak, then interview with Hooky and Steve, then WFTSC.Then Simon Anstill appears again and says "That's all we've got time for tonight but join us again tomorrow night when we'll have Basement Jaxx.Goodbye" Then Love Will Tear Us Apart is shown to end the programme.So all the NO stuff was on the Monday night's broadcast.So there was another highlights show the following night but NO didn't feature in that i assume.Yes Run Wild and She's Lost Control at the festival only became available on the Glasgow DVD.

New Order's set was on the Friday night 24th June and i'm almost certain the highlights programme with the clips was the following Monday night 27th June.

Edited by user 23 April 2019 13:42:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:33:38(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Whilst we're on the subject of running order of broadcasts, I have two or three different recordings of Glastonbury '05, all with different track listings:

Version 1

Crystal
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Run Wild (***)
Jetstream (bleurgh!)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Temptation (***)
World In Motion

Version 2

Crystal
Regret (***)
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Jetstream (bleurgh!, again)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
World In Motion

(***) = variations

I also have a foreign broadcast.

Not sure why I have two versions, but the BBC3 logo appears on some of the tracks, but not all. This makes me think that both versions are ones that have been spliced together from various sources.

Anyone got a video rip of the gig from the night it was broadcast and can check what songs they actually showed? Were these shown live on the night, or later on?
Any idea if there was a later broadcast with other tracks shown?

I've got a knackered old video rip.It also recored me faffing about with the red button to find more songs from the night after the standard broadcast of NO's set ended.I'd say all the splicing together was because various sources managed to record different songs depending on when they pressed the red button to capture extra songs.I'll have to go through my recording another night and see what was broadcast before the red button options came into play.

This Glastonbury broadcast was a great way to spend the Saturday night after attending the Hyde Park gig the night before.
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:38:25(UTC)
Fotz

Recall also Temptation and maybe one other song was repeated on the BBC's Sunday afternoon coverage of that year's Glastonbury festival.

So yeah, i guess the splicing together was from the original broadcast, red button and repeats of a couple of songs?

Edited by user 23 April 2019 13:40:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2019 13:58:47(UTC)
Fotz

BBC showed the start of the set (Crystal) then cut off straight after that to something else for a few minutes, jeez. So the second song of the set (Regret) didn’t get broadcast and must have only became available through a red button option . Or actually it was a blue button to access the menu for viewing other stuff from that year’s festival. So yeah basically there was a lot of splicing together from various sources to make the complete video of the night.
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2019 14:26:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Managed to find and tried to play my old VHS recording of the Hyde Park stuff.Well, the tracking and the tape are almost completely shot but then i remembered i transferred it to digital a few years back.

Found my digital copy.Yep, seems first there's the interview bit with Bernard and Phil followed by Krafty, then more interview with B & P, then True Faith, then more B & P, then adbreak, then interview with Hooky and Steve, then WFTSC.Then Simon Anstill appears again and says "That's all we've got time for tonight but join us again tomorrow night when we'll have Basement Jaxx.Goodbye" Then Love Will Tear Us Apart is shown to end the programme.So all the NO stuff was on the Monday night's broadcast.So there was another highlights show the following night but NO didn't feature in that i assume.Yes Run Wild and She's Lost Control at the festival only became available on the Glasgow DVD.

New Order's set was on the Friday night 24th June and i'm almost certain the highlights programme with the clips was the following Monday night 27th June.

Brilliant! Thanks very much for this. Exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm trying to sort through some various stuff, weed out duplicates, catalogue things etc.
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2019 14:32:04(UTC)
perspexorange

Recall also Temptation and maybe one other song was repeated on the BBC's Sunday afternoon coverage of that year's Glastonbury festival.

So yeah, i guess the splicing together was from the original broadcast, red button and repeats of a couple of songs?

Cheers. That makes sense, as a) Temptation is missing from one of the versions I have (Run Wild too, so this might be the other track repeated) and b) some of the sings don't have the BBC3 logo, so were probably from the red / blue button coverage.

BBC showed the start of the set (Crystal) then cut off straight after that to something else for a few minutes, jeez. So the second song of the set (Regret) didn’t get broadcast and must have only became available through a red button option . Or actually it was a blue button to access the menu for viewing other stuff from that year’s festival. So yeah basically there was a lot of splicing together from various sources to make the complete video of the night.

Again, that makes sense as Regret isn't on one of the versions I have.

Everything's starting to make sense.
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 23 April 2019 15:26:24(UTC)
perspexorange

OK, based on your great help, Fotzepolitic, and rechecking my videos for logos etc., I think that my 'version 2' is basically the original BBC3 broadcast, with World In Motion added on to the end for good measure (as this doesn't have a BBC3 logo, so must've come either from a repeat or the red button coverage).

So, the BBC3 broadcast was:

Crystal
***break for the news*** (towards the end of Crystal, there's an 'after the break, more New Order' graphic on screen)
Regret (end of the song only; presumably the beginning occurred whilst the news was on)
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
***break*** (there's a graphic appearing on the video, indicating that there's a cut here; this corresponds with when Run Wild would've been played at the gig)
Jetstream
***break*** (again, another graphic indicating a cut; this corresponds with when Waiting For The Sirens' Call and BLT would've been played at the gig)
Love Will Tear Us Apart

All of the above have consistent BBC3 logos and green song title graphics.
So it looks like there was at least 3 breaks in BBC3's coverage. How rubbishes that? The fact that they broke away after True Faith, joined one song later for Jetstream, then broke away for another two songs, before leaving before the encore. At least there was the Red Button stuff.

Based on footage that I have with no BBC3 logo, it looks like the Red Button coverage was (at least):

Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Run Wild
Jetstream
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Temptation
World In Motion

Maybe Crystal and Regret were viewable on the Red Button if you switched to that straight away (or did you say that wasn't an option immediately?).

So the only songs missing from the coverage was the first half of Regret, Waiting For The Sirens' Call and BLT. Wonder why the latter two aren't on the Red Button coverage? Seems odd.
Maybe they were shown but no one has uploaded these? Anyone know for sure?
Fotzepolitic  
#13 Posted : 23 April 2019 23:39:35(UTC)
Fotz

Version 1

Crystal
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Run Wild
Jetstream (bleurgh!)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Temptation
World In Motion

Without having my recording to hand right now as am at work I can only vaguely say that list of songs is what I watched live at the time.Can’t remember if it was BBC2 or BBC3. Colin Murray introduced the set at 7pm and they started with Crystal. Cracking open the beers and settling in to watch the whole set I was flabbergasted after the first song they cut away for a few minutes for something else ( maybe news?) . They eventually came back to showing NO’s set and what was shown was, I think, what’s listed above. Can’t remember if they showed WIM though or if I found that by pressing the blue button. I was pretty drunk by that time and it was all a bit messy fiddling around with the blue button and searching the menu for more footage. They must have cut away a few times like you say, p, as I’ve never seen any BBC footage of Regret, BLT and WFTSC. That’s if there actually is any BBC footage of BLT and WFTSC.Maybe there’s audience footage of those 2 but I’m not interested in seeing that, only BBC professional footage.

I can’t remember if the blue button option was there from the start. If it was, maybe if I’d have pressed it I could have watched the whole set uninterrupted and without break always for news etc. It was all a bit messy coverage by the BBC.

My brother went down to the festival that year to try and get in if he’d could find a tout selling a ticket. He was unsuccessful and ended up spending a couple of nights in a B & B in Glastonbury town. Anyway, on the Sunday after the Saturday night before he was in a pub and overhear 2 BBC guys moaning about how New Order had kept them and Coldplay waiting ( the BBC thought NO were going to come back on and do Blue Monday but they didn’t) . Apparently these 2 BBC guys were having a right old moan about it. Goes without saying it amuses me how New Order had annoyed the BBC and Coldplay.
ROCKET MICK on 25/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#14 Posted : 24 April 2019 00:09:26(UTC)
perspexorange

Version 1

Crystal
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Transmission
True Faith
Run Wild
Jetstream (bleurgh!)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Temptation
World In Motion

Without having my recording to hand right now as am at work I can only vaguely say that list of songs is what I watched live at the time.Can’t remember if it was BBC2 or BBC3. Colin Murray introduced the set at 7pm and they started with Crystal. Cracking open the beers and settling in to watch the whole set I was flabbergasted after the first song they cut away for a few minutes for something else ( maybe news?) . They eventually came back to showing NO’s set and what was shown was, I think, what’s listed above. Can’t remember if they showed WIM though or if I found that by pressing the blue button. I was pretty drunk by that time and it was all a bit messy fiddling around with the blue button and searching the menu for more footage. They must have cut away a few times like you say, p, as I’ve never seen any BBC footage of Regret, BLT and WFTSC. That’s if there actually is any BBC footage of BLT and WFTSC.Maybe there’s audience footage of those 2 but I’m not interested in seeing that, only BBC professional footage.

I can’t remember if the blue button option was there from the start. If it was, maybe if I’d have pressed it I could have watched the whole set uninterrupted and without break always for news etc. It was all a bit messy coverage by the BBC.

My brother went down to the festival that year to try and get in if he’d could find a tout selling a ticket. He was unsuccessful and ended up spending a couple of nights in a B & B in Glastonbury town. Anyway, on the Sunday after the Saturday night before he was in a pub and overhear 2 BBC guys moaning about how New Order had kept them and Coldplay waiting ( the BBC thought NO were going to come back on and do Blue Monday but they didn’t) . Apparently these 2 BBC guys were having a right old moan about it. Goes without saying it amuses me how New Order had annoyed the BBC and Coldplay.

HaHa. Great! Anything to get up Chris Martin's nose.

Thanks for the additional info. I think at least a little bit of Regret was shown on the BBC3 transmission, as I have the very end of it (with a BBC3 logo). It starts around the 'just wait 'til tomorrow' line. I'm assuming that the coverage 'rejoined', after the news, at this point.

Looking at the BBC Genome website, it looks like bits of the New Order set might have been shown on both BBC2 and BBC3 that night.

The BBC3 write up states:

"9.00 resurgent electro-pop pioneers New Order and, on the Jazz World
Stage, ex-Moloko vocalist RÓisín Murphy;
10.00 more from New Order, plus indie favourites Kasabian;"

The BBC2 write up states:

"Also scheduled to appear are the reinvigorated New Order"

So, it seems possible that the main coverage was on BBC3 and the blue button, but with some footage (a track or two maybe) shown on BBC2 that same evening (possibly during a 'let's cross live to the Pyramid stage to see what's happening' etc.).
So, I guess, some of that 'non-logoed' footage might have been from a) the live BBC2 footage (which doesn't show logos), b) the blue button footage or c) from a later highlights programme. I guess, as well, that the above BBC2 write-up might've been generic and didn't actually contain any NO footage.

I think you're right about BLT and WFTSC not being shown on BBC. I think, if they were, the footage would've appeared by now.

One additional thing though. It says here (http://www.worldinmotion.net/newsroom/2005.htm) that there was a livestream of the gig at http://glastonbury.playlouder.com. Presumably, this showed the whole thing.

Did anybody capture this stream?

Fotzepolitic  
#15 Posted : 24 April 2019 13:54:42(UTC)
Fotz

Looked through my recording of Glastonbury 2005 tonight.God, what a mess.I'd copied it to digital some years back without actually watching it, i just set it all up and let it run and copy to laptop.The recording is pretty knackered to say the least.It plays slowly in places and the picture quality is dire.Must have only played the recording back a few times back in 2005 and had forgotten what a mess it was what with all the messing around with the blue button to try and find more live coverage.

Where to start? I've got the whole of first song Crystal then it goes to an advert for some BBC programme then i must have paused the recording until BBC3 rejoined the set towards the end of Regret.I have the last minute or so of that.Then i have Love Vigilantes, Krafty and Transmission all in full though the quality is cack.Then after Transmission the coverage stops again and goess to Edith Bowman and Colin Murray talking about what else is coming up later (Kasabian etc) .At that point i've pressed the blue button and found World In Motion being played.This is confusing as that was at the end of the set! So i've no idea how that happened.Then after World In Motion there is 3 minutes of the camera just pointed at the stage and Colin Murray's voice stating "We're waiting for New Order to come back on and do Blue Monday,we've been promised they're going to play it" Finally it's concluded that NO are not going to come back on and do Blue Monday and Edith Bowman and Murray declare the gig over.I then start looking around on blue button for more footage and find LWTUA .At the end of that Temptation comes on and after that Phil Jupitus appears on screen followed by me faffing around with the blue button again and then i faff around again with blue button and find the second half of True Faith followed by Jetstream in full, then Transmission which i'd already seen, then True Faith in full and then Run Wild appears for the first time.I recall i was fairly drunk by this time and starting to get extremely muddled on what i had seen already and what i'd not seen, what was live streaming and what was highlights.Finally i have through the blue button found Jetstream again and finally World In Motion again!

I can't figure out how i ended up watching World In Motion the first time through the blue button straight after Transmission.I think i obviously took a wrong turn and must have ended up with half an hour of not being able to watch any live stream and caught the second half of the set on the blue button long after the songs had actually been played.

I can only put it all down to the BBC breaking off repeatedly from the live stream and forcing me to hunt around through the blue button to try and find the live stream again that way and ended up watching half the songs long after they were "live".

Anyway, it wasn't New Order's greatest gig by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a DVD out there that has all the songs aired by the BBC and in the correct order (and maybe audience recording of BLT and WFTSC too?) but i never snapped a copy up.
perspexorange  
#16 Posted : 24 April 2019 14:59:53(UTC)
perspexorange

Crikey. It does sound like the BBC were all over the place with this coverage.

Yeah - not the best gig. Was listening earlier and noticed Barn screaming ‘COME ON!’ during LWTUA. Dear me.

I’ll have a word with Mike re full coverage. He may well have captured the stream at the above website and have BLT / WFTSC.

In the meantime, I’ve edited my two videos to match the two broadcasts exactly i.e. one to match the BBC3 coverage and the other to match the Blue Button additional footage. If I can’t get hold of the full stream, I’ll have a go at editing the two together to make as complete a gig as I’m able.

Cheers for checking on the above. It was really helpful.
perspexorange  
#17 Posted : 27 May 2019 10:41:30(UTC)
perspexorange

Someone has just posted a different quality version of the Wireless festival broadcast. According to the uploader, it's better quality and at the correct ratio.
It's basically the same bits but has an extra little segment of Hooky footage at the end of it:

Edited by user 27 May 2019 10:42:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2019(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2019 02:24:46(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
That's great quality - but blimey how bad is that version of LWTUA?! Does Hoohky's bass cutout towards the end, leaving us only able to hear Barney playing all the wrong chords?

Ah - I kind of miss NO gigs when they were a shambles!
thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#19 Posted : 31 May 2019 11:53:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah. Not the best.
But, like you say, it's quite nice to hear the fuck-ups. Reminds me of the real good old days of the 80s.

I definitely have more of a problem with the:

'Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart... COME ONNNNN!!!!!!!
Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart... YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!'
etc.

It's not a song to be sung with any degree of gusto, in my opinion. But I'm repeating myself here.

At least Barney has toned down the whoops on this song in recent years.
GotBlueEyes  
#20 Posted : 01 June 2019 13:47:36(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)

I definitely have more of a problem with the:

'Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart... COME ONNNNN!!!!!!!
Love, Love Will Tear Us Apart... YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!'
etc.

It's not a song to be sung with any degree of gusto, in my opinion. But I'm repeating myself here.

Too right - if you look up "incongruous" in the dictionary it has a video of Bernard whooping his way through the anguished marital disintegration song of a suicidal man

Not a hint of reverence - it's weird

Edited by user 02 June 2019 13:17:58(UTC)  | Reason: edited "Barney" to "Bernard" to please a pedant

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
tapebias  
#21 Posted : 02 June 2019 02:37:34(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Who is this Barney you talk of? Surely a 60+ year old man should be called by his real name, unless you are 'Hooky'. Ltd.

Or is it just pet names like Giggsy, Scholesy, Lamps, Becks, Wazza, Gazza, Jezza, Crouchy, Big Ron, Wee Jimmy?

Yours pedantically,

thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.