logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

36 Pages«<1112131415>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#301 Posted : 18 January 2019 15:59:10(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I caught the doc. Really good. Bernard Edwards was just a fabulous bass player, wasn’t he?

And, of course, Hooky is uniquely brilliant.

Bernard Edwards was indeed fantastic. It's really sad the way he died from a fever in a hotel room whilst Chic were on tour (not mentioned in the program). He's missing out on the Chic revival of the past few years which is basically just Nile Rogers + hired hands.

I really enjoyed the way they focused on McCartneys basslines too, and his messing about with bass amps. Oh and Bootsy/James Brown. And Motown's James Jamerson.
I didn't imagne the program would cover hip hop and go right through to the house/techno scene of the early 90's, but fair do's to them for keeping an open mind re: electronic bass.

The Dizzy Rascal bit was the only part that ddn't hold my attention to be honest. Was last weeks' episode as good as this?

I know we've heard this Hooky story before, but it still surprises me that LWTUA stemmed from a bassline he came up with.
My guess would have been: a melody knocked up by Sumner/Curtis and then a bassline added by Hook.
Has he ever come up with anything that important again (re: starting/instigating a song)?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#302 Posted : 18 January 2019 16:10:49(UTC)
Debaser

I tired to edit my post above with this additional comment, but the forum says it's spam. Well, no more so than the rest of my ramblings here! So, new post:

The bit where Tina Weymouth was talking to Bootsy Collins about how the frontman (e.g James Brown) would claim the bassplayers's bits as his own writing was funny. Having read some of the stuff about the battles between David Byrne and Weymouth in Talking Heads, you just know she was refering to Byrne when she was referring to the "front cat" or whatever her expression was.
eliu01  
#303 Posted : 18 January 2019 21:02:24(UTC)
eliu01

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Wasting time on YouTube, got served an ad for SyFy's new series Deadly Class. Background music was "Age of Consent". Can't find a link to the ad itself on YT though, interestingly enough.
thanks 2 users thanked eliu01 for this useful post.
perspexorange on 19/01/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#304 Posted : 19 January 2019 00:09:32(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

I really enjoyed the way they focused on McCartneys basslines too, and his messing about with bass amps.

Yes I was quite surprised to learn how innovative Mcartney was in achieving that bass sound and the stuff with amps.That sounds like a backhanded compliment but I never had him down as technically innovative, innovative in songwriting yes but never thought he was innovative in stuff like achieving a new bass sound/ style. I guess I’ve never paid much attention to the technical sound of The Beatles, it was always about the catchy tunes and lyrics for me.

Can’t say if last night’s bass doc was better than last week’s drums one as I only watched the Steve section of that.Last night’s
has definitely inspired me to look up more of Talking Heads’ stuff.They did some cracking stuff but have only really been aware of their big hits like Once In A Lifetime, Burning Down The House etc

Edited by user 19 January 2019 00:16:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#305 Posted : 19 January 2019 02:34:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eliu01 Go to Quoted Post
Wasting time on YouTube, got served an ad for SyFy's new series Deadly Class. Background music was "Age of Consent". Can't find a link to the ad itself on YT though, interestingly enough.

Is this the one you mean? (from about 28 seconds in):

Sounds like a cover version. One that varies quite a bit towards the end of the clip.
Good spot though!

Edited by user 19 January 2019 02:35:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
eliu01  
#306 Posted : 25 January 2019 01:24:37(UTC)
eliu01

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Sounds like a cover version. One that varies quite a bit towards the end of the clip.
Good spot though!

The ad I saw was only 30 seconds long, and AoC played through the whole clip. Hoping it turns up again somewhere.

I will say the song in the video you linked is pretty interesting. Definitely hear the influence.
thanks 1 user thanked eliu01 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#307 Posted : 25 January 2019 06:55:51(UTC)
Debaser

I will say the song in the video you linked is pretty interesting. Definitely hear the influence.

Yes, not a cover of AOC but a track called Perfect Storm by Tom Hillock/Jennifer Jordan.

Incidentally, I keep seeing the initials AOC popping up on social media. But they relate to American democrat politician Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez whom the Republicans tried to "shame" for participating in a video at university where everyone tries to dance like the Breakfast Club characters. Dancing is of course FORBIDDEN, as anyone who has seen Footloose can attest!

Well Ok, Alexandria you might be a cool likable young democrat, but making the initials AOC famous for something besides a new order song? Not cool!

Edited by user 25 January 2019 07:11:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2019(UTC), perspexorange on 30/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#308 Posted : 30 January 2019 13:50:32(UTC)
perspexorange

New footage of New Order's last performance at Jodrell Bank has just landed (pardon the pun!) on BlueDot's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com.../posts/2001741439916709/

Not sure if that's a direct link, but you should find it. Thanks to DigiMike for the heads up.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2019(UTC), Andy on 31/01/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 31/01/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#309 Posted : 03 February 2019 14:01:27(UTC)
Debaser

ROCKET MICK on 05/02/2019(UTC)
negative1  
#310 Posted : 07 February 2019 21:11:15(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)

Good spot though!

The ad I saw was only 30 seconds long, and AoC played through the whole clip. Hoping it turns up again somewhere.

in episode 1 of the show, they play a snippet of elegia.

later

Edited by user 08 February 2019 22:10:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/02/2019(UTC)
Andy  
#311 Posted : 08 February 2019 11:50:43(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Music-inspired plaid flannel shirts: JC-RT.com
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#312 Posted : 08 February 2019 12:37:49(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

Very odd, but pretty cool.
ROCKET MICK on 09/02/2019(UTC)
50poundnote  
#313 Posted : 08 February 2019 15:54:45(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I have the ones they did for Ceremony (green sleeve) and Joy Division's Substance. Robert is a friend of mine, and he's given me a sneak peek at a plaid he's doing for Technique. It's beautiful.
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/02/2019(UTC), Andy on 09/02/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 10/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#314 Posted : 10 February 2019 12:18:43(UTC)
Fotz

Sounded like Love Will Tear Us Apart played in the Etihad stadium after the final whistle of Man City 6 Chelsea 0 today. Was watching in the pub. Hard to say for sure and maybe I imagined it. Why would they play such a sombre reflective song after Man City won by such a margin?

Edited by user 10 February 2019 12:19:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#315 Posted : 10 February 2019 12:35:11(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah. Seems a little odd.
Especially considering that the tune was adopted years ago by rivals United as 'Giggs Will Tear You Apart', which is still sung in the stands today. Probably due it being by a local band and with Sumner & Hook both stating they are United fans.

Would seem a little like playing 'Wonderwall' at Old Trafford, i.e. very out of place and likely to cause a fair amount of annoyance amongst the home fans.

I guess it might just be classed as a 'Manchester' anthem.

Edit - Just checked Twitter etc. It seems that they were probably playing it so the fans could sing along with words they've sung before (either in this match or previously) - 'City, tearing Cockney's apart, again'.

But, yeah, a very odd choice of record for a celebration, when you consider the subject material / gravitas of the subsequent event.

Edited by user 10 February 2019 12:42:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tapebias  
#316 Posted : 10 February 2019 13:06:42(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Yeah. Seems a little odd.
Especially considering that the tune was adopted years ago by rivals United as 'Giggs Will Tear You Apart', which is still sung in the stands today. Probably due it being by a local band and with Sumner & Hook both stating they are United fans.

Not sure Sumner knows much about football and Hook would probably fall into the post 1992 Utd fan bracket although haven't seen him in VIP with Simply Mick. Gretton was a hardcore City fan, as was Curtis according to his daughter.

Think its sung probably just because its a catchy tune. Do Utd still sing the Giggs aka Family Man version?

thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#317 Posted : 10 February 2019 14:40:33(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep, they still sing it. Heard it a few matches ago.

Agreed that the two of 'em aren't exactly ardent fans. Hook, especially.
Sumner seems to know a bit more and says that he went to games as a kid. I imagine that he was always a casual fan (i.e. someone who says they follow the club when asked, but is sketchy on details), but got a lot more fervent during the glory years (which you can't really blame him for; everyone likes a bit of positivity to cling to).
I'm thinking there's probably a fair amount of previously 'casual' City fans shouting from the rooftops these days. And why not? I know I would be if I were one.
I certainly see more kids wearing City shirts these days than I did 5 years ago. Same thing happened when Leeds and Blackburn won the title. Who sees anyone wearing Blackburn shirts these days (unless you live there, of course)? I will say though, wearing footie shirts casually isn't as common as it was back in the 90s.

Anyway, the two of them are from Salford and are probably more likely to be Utd fans than City fans (or that's how I understand it).

As regards Ian, Natalie has said a few times he was a City fan (she is too) but I'm pretty sure she mentioned that there is a photo of Ian in a Utd shirt when he was a kid.
She says he started off as a Utd fan but gravitated to City as he grew older. The implication being that he was too young to even have a concept of the shirt he was wearing and hadn't yet nailed his colours to the mast. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Ian didn't really strike me as the footballing type, though. Didn't Hannett once describe Joy Division as 'One genius and three Manchester United supporters'? :-).

Debaser  
#318 Posted : 11 February 2019 04:39:01(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Sounded like Love Will Tear Us Apart played in the Etihad stadium after the final whistle of Man City 6 Chelsea 0 today. Was watching in the pub. Hard to say for sure and maybe I imagined it.

Oh it was absolutely blasting out (mind you I was watching via USA's NBC which may have had the stadium volume higher in their mix than Sky).

Edit - Just checked Twitter etc. It seems that they were probably playing it so the fans could sing along with words they've sung before (either in this match or previously) - 'City, tearing Cockney's apart, again'.

That sounds like it might be a banner rather than song lyrics.

Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post
Not sure Sumner knows much about football and Hook would probably fall into the post 1992 Utd fan bracket although haven't seen him in VIP with Simply Mick. Gretton was a hardcore City fan, as was Curtis according to his daughter.

I think at Brixton Academy 2001, where I was at the second night, Bernard mentioned Man Utd having won a game the previous night in the Champions League and saying "it was a bit tense" (it was!). I wonder if they waited for the game to finish before taking the stage? As for Hooky, I remember an interview where he said he had a season ticket at Old Trafford (not VIP) at one point but he got a bit bored going to every game. Probably was post '92, alright.

After the Glazers took over, an act called Hanky Park put out We'll Never Die which they got Hook to produce and play on. I've got the CD single somewhere in my collection. Track 2 on the CD, "Christian Word" is Terry Christian talking some hype about Utd. I think that's the track that had a big blast of Hooky bass at the beginning. Certainly one of the tracks has some Hooky bass louder in the mix than the main video version that's embedded in Discogs. I suppose due to it's anti-glazer roots it doesn't get played over the PA at OT.

As for LWTUA at City, it was being sung during the game yesterday (as well as at the end). I got the impression they were singing "Kun will tear you apart" - as in Sergio 'Kun' Aguero, who of course matched Shearer's hat trick record and I think set a City goal record too. Perhaps any City fans reading this know more about (a) the records, (b) the song and (c) his nickname 'Kun' which came from his time at Atletico (?). Personally I like adding a T to the end of Kun, although I really wanted City to win yesterday (someone needs to challenge L****pool FFS!).

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 20/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#319 Posted : 11 February 2019 05:51:21(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Sounded like Love Will Tear Us Apart played in the Etihad stadium after the final whistle of Man City 6 Chelsea 0 today. Was watching in the pub. Hard to say for sure and maybe I imagined it.

Oh it was absolutely blasting out (mind you I was watching via USA's NBC which may have had the stadium volume higher in their mix than Sky).

That sounds like it might be a banner rather than song lyrics.

Originally Posted by: tapebias Go to Quoted Post

I think at Brixton Academy 2001, where I was at the second night, Bernard mentioned Man Utd having won a game the previous night in the Champions League and saying "it was a bit tense" (it was!). I wonder if they waited for the game to finish before taking the stage? As for Hooky, I remember an interview where he said he had a season ticket at Old Trafford (not VIP) at one point but he got a bit bored going to every game. Probably was post '92, alright.

After the Glazers took over, an act called Hanky Park put out We'll Never Die which they got Hook to produce and play on. I've got the CD single somewhere in my collection. Track 2 on the CD, "Christian Word" is Terry Christian talking some hype about Utd. I think that's the track that had a big blast of Hooky bass at the beginning. Certainly one of the tracks has some Hooky bass louder in the mix than the main video version that's embedded in Discogs. I suppose due to it's anti-glazer roots it doesn't get played over the PA at OT.

As for LWTUA at City, it was being sung during the game yesterday (as well as at the end). I got the impression they were singing "Kun will tear you apart" - as in Sergio 'Kun' Aguero, who of course matched Shearer's hat trick record and I think set a City goal record too. Perhaps any City fans reading this know more about (a) the records, (b) the song and (c) his nickname 'Kun' which came from his time at Atletico (?). Personally I like adding a T to the end of Kun, although I really wanted City to win yesterday (someone needs to challenge L****pool FFS!).

I'm guessing you're a Utd fan, eh?
I am, so was routing for City as well. Lesser of two evils! I really don't want to see LFC win the league. Kind of hoping that Spurs can beat them both though.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 20/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#320 Posted : 11 February 2019 06:29:33(UTC)
Fotz

Think there’s a photo in one of the books of Ian Curtis as a kid wearing a Man U shirt. Maybe in Touching From A Distance. It’s the old 1970s shirt obviously.That old plain red with white hoop collar and not even the Man U badge.So it could be just a generic football type shirt, I don’t know.
ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#321 Posted : 11 February 2019 08:23:36(UTC)
perspexorange

Think there’s a photo in one of the books of Ian Curtis as a kid wearing a Man U shirt. Maybe in Touching From A Distance. It’s the old 1970s shirt obviously.That old plain red with white hoop collar and not even the Man U badge.So it could be just a generic football type shirt, I don’t know.

Yep - you're right. Looks like it was in 'Touching From A Distance'.

UserPostedImage
tapebias  
#322 Posted : 11 February 2019 09:02:27(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
There's also the story of Hook telling Giggs to F-Off for sitting on his car which was parked inside HAC/Stringfellows. Think it was in "I used to be in a Band" Vol.4. Those were the days.
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Andy  
#323 Posted : 19 February 2019 07:47:20(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#324 Posted : 19 February 2019 11:55:14(UTC)
perspexorange

New Order advertising underpants. Whatever next?
I guess it's better than a Joy Division song being used.

Hmmm - maybe the band are missing a trick. 'She's Lost Control' being used during an advert for 'Tena Lady' anyone?
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2019(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#325 Posted : 20 February 2019 00:36:05(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
New Order advertising underpants. Whatever next?
I guess it's better than a Joy Division song being used.

Hmmm - maybe the band are missing a trick. 'She's Lost Control' being used during an advert for 'Tena Lady' anyone?

The Perfect Pants

Bizarre Love Triangle (on Y fronts remix)

Chosen Pants

Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2019(UTC)