logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Benj65  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2019 04:11:39(UTC)
Benj65

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Hi there everyone, just noticed that Steve's new book is on amazon.co.uk - to be published 15 May 2019.

RECORD PLAY PAUSE

"Stephen Morris has had a distinguished career, spanning nearly forty years, as a pivotal member of Joy Division and New Order with his trademark machine-like drumming. After the death of Joy Division's singer, Ian Curtis, in 1980, Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, Morris and his wife Gillian formed New Order, one of the most critically acclaimed and influential bands of the late twentieth century. New Order became the flagship band for Tony Wilson's Factory Records and, alongside him, opened the infamous Hacienda nightclub, the centre of the acid house movement. In 2015, after a ten-year hiatus, New Order released Music Complete; which charted at #2 in its first week of release (the band's highest position in over twenty years).

Stephen's book won't be that typical music autobiography, which tends to be high on mischief and low on the music. Part memoir, part aural history, it will be a hybrid memoir in Stephen's wry and witty voice. Stephen will weave a dual narrative of growing up in the North West during the 1970s with how the music actually works. It will also explore what it is to be part of a mythologised band and the idea of what you do becoming who you are."

Also an Oral History of Joy Division by Jon Savage due Apr 2019:

This searing light, the sun and everything else: Joy Division: The Oral History

"Joy Division emerged in the mid-70s at the start of a two-decades long Manchester scene that was to become much mythologised. It was then a city still labouring in the wake of the war and entering a phase of huge social and physical change, and something of this spirit made its way into the DNA of the band. Over the course of two albums, a handful of other seminal releases, and some legendary gigs, Joy Division became the most successful and exciting underground band of their generation. Then, on the brink of a tour to America, Ian Curtis took his own life.

In This searing light, the sun and everything else, Jon Savage has assembled three decades worth of interviews with the principle players in the Joy Division story: Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, Deborah Curtis, Peter Saville, Tony Wilson, Paul Morley, Alan Hempsall, Lesley Gilbert, Terry Mason, Anik Honoré, and many more. It is the story of how a band resurrected a city, how they came together in circumstances that are both accidental and extraordinary, and how their music galvanised a generation of fans, artists and musicians. It is a classic story of how young men armed with electric guitars and good taste in literature can change the world with four chords and three-and-a-half minutes of music. And it is the story of how illness and demons can rob the world of a shamanic lead singer and visionary lyricist.

This searing light, the sun and everything else presents the history of Joy Division in an intimate and candid way, as orchestrated by the lodestar of British music writing, Jon Savage."

thanks 3 users thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/02/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 18/02/2019(UTC), Ken Doherty on 19/02/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2019 05:15:23(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Welcome to the forum Benj65. I sometimes see the visitor numbers on here showing anywhere between 50 and 130 (the higher figures especially on Sundays), but see the same few people actually posting. So by all means feel free to add to the number of people who post rather than just lurk.

If you search for the -perhaps unlikely- title of New Order drummer's memoir to Contable you will find a thread already in existence, albeit not visted for a while (I think everyone got tired of waiting for the uh, 2018 release).

And if you search This searing light, the sun... you'll find a thread for that one.

Personally I'd like to know that they've at least started another album by now, but who know knows if they ever will...

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Benj65 on 15/02/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/02/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 18/02/2019(UTC)
Benj65  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2019 05:36:25(UTC)
Benj65

Oh yes, look at that.

Sorry, obviously I need a bit of sharpening up, many thanks Debaser. I haven't checked the forum for a few years so that explains my error(s). I did join 7 years ago but haven't had much to say.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been a New Order fan since mid-1981, they became my favourite band ever by early 1982 and have remained so since. I have more less given up on them in terms of new music, last time I saw them was the Roxy concert in 2011. I also saw them Wellington 1982 x 2; Auckland 1985 and Brixton Academy 2001.

I will at some stage post a long-ish recollection of the 2 x Wellington gigs of December 1982, the second of which I attended in my school uniform(!), and which I have a good quality tape of, thanks to Student Radio Active 89FM re-broadcast in 1983 from a reel to reel.

I'll probably buy the Steve Morris book, he always makes me laugh when I see him interviewed. Coincidentally or not a good friend of mine lives literally around the corner from Barton St, Macclesfield, every time I visit I see slightly baffled looking foreign fans outside Ian's old gaff. Met a few at the graveyard and all.

If I see the Other Two in the supermarket next time I'm there (2 weeks time), I'll say hello.
thanks 3 users thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/02/2019(UTC), Rorschach on 15/02/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 18/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2019 06:37:54(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Welcome, benj.

I’m looking forward to Steve’s book. Think it’ll be something more interesting to get my teeth stuck into rather than yet another JD book going over the same old stuff. So i don’t think I’ll bother with Jon Savage’s one.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/02/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 18/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2019 09:42:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Welcome aboard (back!).

It's always good to have new people posting here. There's a few of us trying to keep the board alive (as best we can), as it can be a pretty great place to find things out. If you've got a question to ask, don't be afraid to post. There's lots of knowledgeable people here and, even if they don't respond directly in the thread, they may well send you a PM.

Incidentally, I find this board far more preferable for finding information out than the 3 New Order Facebook groups I'm a member of. Those places just seem full of people endlessly quoting lyrics and asking what other fans favourite tracks are. Not that there isn't a place for that; it's just that you get the same questions being asked on an almost daily basis, which gets a bit tiring. Ask anyone a significant question on there and you get virtually no response (aside from people 'liking' your question, for some reason).

1981, eh? Wow. That's pretty impressive and would put you ahead of most of us in terms of years (1987 for me). Will be interested to hear your recollections from the two NO gigs you mentioned.

Yeah - I'll be getting both books, but am most looking forward to Steve's. Mr Savage's book will likely be fine, but I can't imagine there's going to be too much new information it it (as Fotzepolitic mentioned). Steve's should be full of insider information, though and bound to be a) geeky and b) humourus. So I'm all over that. Trouble is, it just keeps getting pushed back.

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Benj65  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2019 01:04:33(UTC)
Benj65

Cheers, people, that's nice. I'm a Facebook refusenik so I'm glad to hear I'm not missing out on much.

At the risk of annoying Perspex, just a couple of things to share from the Colonies back in the day - I became a fan through a wonderful John Peel-like FM show ("ZM All Nighter" syndicated throughout NZ 12-4am), hosted by the truly magnificent Barry Jenkin aka 'Dr Rock'. Me and a few mates imported all the JD/NO records via Adrian's mail order in Essex or my parents purchasing in Australia. They were quite easy to get, and were much better quality than the tepid local versions released.

Once I heard EGG on the FAC Benelux 12" in 1982, that was it, I was convinced. Electronica and dancing was the way to go. Barry J got an advance copy of Blue Monday in early March 1983 and I taped it and took it the next day to a grotty party full of bootboys (local skinheads who wore DMs and who will appear in my Dec 1982 memories being abusive to Barney). It was a SENSATION. I had to play it over and over (8-10 times?) while everyone jumped around like mad. Up and down, rolled on the floor in their delight - they had never heard the like before. Fantastic memory!

For me Power Corruption and Lies remains the best thing ever. Right record, right time. Hearing Age of Consent followed by The Village was like the sun coming out, everything was going to be alright after all. NZ was pretty shit at that point, we had enjoyed a horrible political regime since 1975 which was on its last legs so Your Silent Face hit like a secular hymn (I'm a Good Catholic Boy) whereas Leave Me Alone (oooh! the song's title is in the lyrics!)…

I agree with Hooky that it is a perfect encapsulation of the band. Yadda yadda.

So does anyone know for sure that PCL will get the full treatment like Movement??? I'd love to know.

thanks 2 users thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2019 02:14:48(UTC)
Fotz

^ haha! Loved the bit about the skinheads rolling around on the floor to Blue Monday. Brilliant.
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2019 02:26:21(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Benj65 Go to Quoted Post
Cheers, people, that's nice. I'm a Facebook refusenik so I'm glad to hear I'm not missing out on much.

At the risk of annoying Perspex...

Hey - no chance of that. I love hearing stories of that nature. The things that get my goat up on FB is the incessant quoting of lyrics and talk about tracks that basically consists of 'do you like True Faith, 'cos I do..?' (there's probably a fair degree of NO fans that like True Faith, I would imagine). It wouldn't bother me as much, if it wasn't that the groups were filled with multiple example of this type even day.

Good old honest reflections and / or critical analysis of tracks are great and are certainly welcome here.

Sounds like you discovered the band at a great time. EGG / Procession is a personal favourite single of mine. EGG, especially, must've sounded amazing at the time; it certainly did when I first heard it in '87, on 'Substance'.
It's a giant leap forward for the band and seems to be the start of a trend by the band of having the 12" be the official version, with the 7" being an edited down version of the main track. New Order 12"s were always worth getting for this reason. If you compare them to other similar (!) bands' 12" records, they are in a different league. Other 12"s just seem to stretch the songs; NO's seemed much more densely packed.

I've also always thought 'Everything's Gone Green' is a brilliant song title too. One of their best.

As regards PC&L, fingers crossed. No official news as of yet and I haven't heard murmurings, like we had with 'Movement' (A while back, mastering engineer, Frank Arkwright had tweeted that he had been listening to Movement demos, so a deluxe edition seemed likely (although I'm not sure whether he was actually on the project in the end)).

I can't see that they won't do a PC&L deluxe, but I guess it may also depend on how well the Movement one does. I guess there's always a risk of doing the NO albums in order. Although there's a certain logic in releasing them in this way, Movement isn't massively popular, even with a lot of New Order fans. If it sells badly, it could, presumably, affect the rest of the project going forward (either by 'killing it' or reducing the size and contents of the box set).

I really hope that it sells well and I personally am massively excited for the release (as you'll notice by me treading into 'trainspotting' territory on the Movement thread).Eek

One or two people on this board (I think) have been involved with Movement deluxe, so they may know whether a PC&L set has been 'green-lit', but they may not be able to comment on this (New Order Official Secrets Act etc. Wink )
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2019 02:26:16(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
this board far more preferable for finding information out than the 3 New Order Facebook groups

FB groups are, in the words of Shakespeare, fucking shit:
1. Someone puts a random lyric from a song that came out 30 years ago and went out of date the day before - preferably with 1 misqoutation and 2 spelling mistakes.
2. Someone else puts another lyric from the song - preferably with 1 misqoutation and 2 spelling mistakes and 3 exclamation marks.
3. Someone writes the name of the song. Well done, you're a fan.
4. Someone writes, 'Love that song!' Well done, you're a fan.
5. Someone writes, 'Gonna play that song now!' Well done, you're a fan.
6. Repeat until you find someone to fuck.
Can't be arsed with Steve's bollocks. As for more Savage bull, I'd rather have my eyes gouged out by a white-hot needle dripping mucous from a member of One Direction's armpit.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/02/2019(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2019 01:28:57(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
this board far more preferable for finding information out than the 3 New Order Facebook groups

FB groups are, in the words of Shakespeare, fucking shit:
1. Someone puts a random lyric from a song that came out 30 years ago and went out of date the day before - preferably with 1 misqoutation and 2 spelling mistakes.
2. Someone else puts another lyric from the song - preferably with 1 misqoutation and 2 spelling mistakes and 3 exclamation marks.
3. Someone writes the name of the song. Well done, you're a fan.
4. Someone writes, 'Love that song!' Well done, you're a fan.
5. Someone writes, 'Gonna play that song now!' Well done, you're a fan.
6. Repeat until you find someone to fuck.
Can't be arsed with Steve's bollocks. As for more Savage bull, I'd rather have my eyes gouged out by a white-hot needle dripping mucous from a member of One Direction's armpit.

Your team lost at the weekend?
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/02/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2019 03:56:34(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Excerpt from 'I am Monkey', Steve's forthcuming buke:
'Writing a buke now! Aye, writing me buke! And everyone's like, 'Yeah, yer tourin' mate?' No mate, can't be touring cos I'm writing me buke, like! 'Ere ang on, ain't someone else wote a buke before? And I'm like, yeah well, I guess, so, but it's my turn now! So what do you think of it so far? Me buke? 'Ere ang on, gimme a chance! Gotta buke to write ain't I'?'
Excerpt from 'Sound and and Oeuvre Acai', Jon Savage's book which has totally fuck all to do with Joy Division except the title:
'Ah yes, the green moist graspings of elevenfold ennui shattering the enlisted unfisted shock of the old amid 54 blackened rabbits springing like mice at Witner in Summer dew, no trees coiffeured by Alan Williams for he knew and knew not he was unspilt, and where was Ian? For Hook told me to fook off, a brave and unwise gesture of ill-gotten mongeese shredding denouement, the new moment, was this the final propitious pursed lipped pigmy? Ah not Ian.'
ROCKET MICK on 18/02/2019(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#12 Posted : 19 February 2019 08:03:56(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

I've been to Bernard and Peters book signings (the Hacienda in Peters case, I have a copy of the Substance book signed by him but wasn't there to witness it so it might have been signed by his dustman for all I know), here's hoping Steve does a signing tour for this one too.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/02/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 19 February 2019 08:37:42(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Excerpt from 'I am Monkey', Steve's forthcuming buke:
'Writing a buke now! Aye, writing me buke! And everyone's like, 'Yeah, yer tourin' mate?' No mate, can't be touring cos I'm writing me buke, like! ...

Can't be arsed with Steve's bollocks.

I think this may be because Steve is quite funny without aspiring to be a stand up comedian.

Jealousy is a terrible thing Mr M!

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/02/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 19 February 2019 10:59:06(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post

I've been to Bernard and Peters book signings (the Hacienda in Peters case, I have a copy of the Substance book signed by him but wasn't there to witness it so it might have been signed by his dustman for all I know), here's hoping Steve does a signing tour for this one too.

I have a rare unsigned copy.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#15 Posted : 19 February 2019 11:00:27(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Jealousy is a terrible thing Mr M!

The only person I'm jealous of is Matt Cardle because he has kissed Mel C. Strange cos I don't really want to kiss Matt.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2019(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#16 Posted : 27 March 2019 07:44:19(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

A playback of Unknown Pleasures followed by a Q&A and book signing announced for the Social at the end of May : The Quietus

Just booked a ticket, now have to hope that Gillian will be next and I'll have books signed by all four members of New Order.

Edited by user 27 March 2019 07:45:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/03/2019(UTC), Benj65 on 01/04/2019(UTC), Blue 5 on 09/04/2019(UTC)
Benj65  
#17 Posted : 01 April 2019 00:57:40(UTC)
Benj65

It seems this is to be vol 1 of 2 vols. This one JD, next ('early 2020') will be NO.
thanks 1 user thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 01 April 2019 12:25:16(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah, found out about this earlier today.

On the one hand, I’m pleased that we’re getting two books.
On the other hand, I’m disappointed that we will have to wait a while for the New Order volume, as that’s where the technical bits will really shine, I would imagine (and definitely the bits I’m most interested in).
I guess Steve could go into detail about Hannett’s production work in that first volume, but I really want to read about all the bonkers stuff they put into songs like The Perfect Kiss, Fine Time etc.
ROCKET MICK on 02/04/2019(UTC), Ken Doherty on 05/04/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#19 Posted : 01 April 2019 12:29:57(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah, found out about this earlier today.

On the one hand, I’m pleased that we’re getting two books.
On the other hand, I’m disappointed that we will have to wait a while for the New Order volume, as that’s where the technical bits will really shine, I would imagine (and definitely the bits I’m most interested in).
I guess Steve could go into detail about Hannett’s production work in that first volume, but I really want to read about all the bonkers stuff they put into songs like The Perfect Kiss, Fine Time etc.

Yep me too.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/04/2019(UTC)
Sportak-Mustgo  
#20 Posted : 08 April 2019 13:24:28(UTC)
Sportak-Mustgo

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Not sure if this has already been posted, but Steve has announced a series of Book Signings, Q&A's, DJ-Sets for the book launch:-

May 9th - Manchester, Dancehall*
May 13th - Liverpool, British Music Experience*
May 17th - Hebden, Trades Club*
May 22nd - London, The Social^
May 23rd - Glasgow, Mitchell Theatre

* Interviewed by Dave Haslam / DJ Set from Stephen
^Unknown Pleasures Playback

Check out New Order's website for details/links & what-have-you
thanks 2 users thanked Sportak-Mustgo for this useful post.
perspexorange on 08/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2019(UTC)
Blue 5  
#21 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:15:47(UTC)
Blue 5

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I just got my ticket for the 22nd in London. It's about 100 yards from where I work so couldn't be better.

I wouldn't even have know it was happening if it wasn't for this forum - cheers Ken Doherty - I am well pleased Smile
thanks 2 users thanked Blue 5 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2019(UTC), Ken Doherty on 18/04/2019(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#22 Posted : 18 April 2019 02:38:18(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Originally Posted by: Blue 5 Go to Quoted Post
I just got my ticket for the 22nd in London. It's about 100 yards from where I work so couldn't be better.

I wouldn't even have know it was happening if it wasn't for this forum - cheers Ken Doherty - I am well pleased Smile

You're welcome Smile

thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/04/2019(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2019 12:24:19(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
thanks 3 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Ken Doherty on 09/05/2019(UTC), Andy on 09/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#24 Posted : 08 May 2019 12:47:26(UTC)
perspexorange

That's great.

He was daft as a brush back then too. :-)

Can't wait for this book.
I have a hard copy pre-ordered but I'm probably going to shell out for a digital copy too. Much easier to read in bed and no chance of spilling tea and biscuits on it.
GotBlueEyes on 09/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#25 Posted : 10 May 2019 05:54:13(UTC)
Fotz

Steve is on the Radcliffe & Maconie show tomorrow morning (Saturday 11th May) 7am til 10am on 6Music.
perspexorange on 10/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)