logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#26 Posted : 20 October 2018 01:53:46(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
The first mix I heard was the 12" and that's still my favourite version, although all mixes are great (even the dub ones). I also have the exclusive mix that was included on certain copies of the Salvation soundtrack (European version, maybe?).

There's a lot of fans out there that seem to really dislike TBTHOG. I've never understood why. I bloody love it.
I was only a part-time fan of the band when it first came it out, having (kind of) got into them when True Faith was released. I missed i's release (not sure how) and only got to hear it when I got massively into the band in 1989. My mate (who was discovering them at the same time) bought the 12" and this was the first time I had heard the track. We played it to death and even ended up recording our own version in 1990 using his synths. Turned out quite nicely.

I found out about the Salvation version, the soundtrack itself and the other 4 tracks included on it on a train journey to Manchester in 1990 on one of my many excursions to that city to hunt down New Order records.
I had popped into John Menzies in my home town on the way to the station to purposely buy a copy of Record Collector magazine which had part 2 of an article on collecting New Order.
On the train journey, I read the magazine and found out about this previously unknown version of TBTHOG, a studio version of Let's Go (having heard live versions on bootlegs) and three 'new' tracks. I then made it my mission to try to get a copy of the album that day.

I managed to snag a copy, on tape only. Sadly, the one side of the tape had a very odd and annoying buzz all the way through it. I remember it being very prevalent during the atmospheric Sputnik track.
It wasn't until about three years later that I finally got hold of a CD copy of the album, in 'Our Price' Stafford, of all places. A bonus was that it had a much better cover than the one I was used to, designed by Saville himself. I had no idea at the time that there were versions of the LP with a Saville sleeve.

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Andy  
#27 Posted : 20 October 2018 06:05:16(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
I also heard Touched by the Hand of God for the first time at a gig.

It was at the first of their 2 nights at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California (1987). In those days you wouldn't have the spoilers of looking up the tour setlists online. In fact, I didn't know the song existed. It was a great (and surreal) beginning to the concert as by that time I knew every track they had released and had spent the weeks leading up the the show wondering what they would play.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#28 Posted : 21 October 2018 03:11:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I'm in the minority, but for me, the original Touched are far weaker than Arthur Baker's tart-ups.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Debaser on 21/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#29 Posted : 21 October 2018 13:28:15(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
I personally love the 12" and 7" mixes by Arthur Baker, and have fond memories of John Peel playing it on his shows several times - apparently he used to regularly play the 12" mix in between bands at Reading Festivals when he had the opportunity to DJ there - he reckoned it sounded fantastic loud. Although I also like the rough edges of the 'Salvation!' version - but I think the 12" is my favourite version.

That's one person.

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I'm in the minority, but for me, the original Touched are far weaker than Arthur Baker's tart-ups.

Two people.

And me. So three of us anyway.

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
In a nightclub in Leeds some year or so later my mate pointed out that upon the DJ playing Let The Music Play by Shannon that the keyboard melody was exactly the same as TBTHOG.New Order had ripped off Shannon?

Oh I see what you mean. The little five-note melody at 1.29 and 1.37 and 1.45 and 1.53:

You can also hear it in the second half of the short version from about 2.29 onwards.

Incidentally, 1983-Shannon was kinda cute.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#30 Posted : 21 October 2018 14:31:40(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
So three of us anyway.

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
The first mix I heard was the 12" and that's still my favourite version

Four. Smile

I love that Shannon record. I rank it alongside Indeep’s ‘Last Night A DJ Saved My Life’ and Freeez’s ‘I.O.U.’ as being brilliant dance records of the early 80s. A holy trinity of superb grooves.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 22/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#31 Posted : 21 October 2018 20:15:09(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)
The first impression dominates. That’s what it is.
The Salvation! version is most akin to the song’s live arrangement and that’s why I go for it.

My initial thought when I first heard it live is that if Ian had survived long enough to this day, Joy Division might have sounded like this. A glimpse into an alternate music history...
thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.