logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2018 12:16:15(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
As you all probably know, New Order's music features quite heavily in this film.
For those that don't know, there are 5 tracks that appear in the film, apparently:

Salvation Theme;
Let's Go (the original instrumental version);
Touched By The Hand Of God (an earlier version);
Sputnik; and
Skullcrusher.

Just wondered if anyone has seen the film? Is it as terrible as everyone says it is?

I quite fancy watching it, masochist that I am. There's a few clips on youtube but I can't find a complete version anywhere.
I guess I could watch the clips but I'd much rather see the whole thing.

Anybody able to point me to a place where I could watch it?

Cheers.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2018 12:41:26(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Just wondered if anyone has seen the film? Is it as terrible as everyone says it is?

Ugh, yes!

there's a few clips on youtube but I can't find a complete version anywhere.
I guess I could watch the clips but I'd much rather see the whole thing.

Anybody able to point me to a place where I could watch it?

Actually I may have just watched all 18 clips HERE and thought it was more than enough. Or maybe I watched it on Amazon Prime.. I know that I never want to attempt to watch any of it again though.

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange on 12/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2018 13:10:06(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Watched some clips of it on YouTube once.Utterly terrible.

Apart from the NO tracks and the couple of Cabaret Voltaire ones the soundtrack CD is utterly terrible too.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 12/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2018 13:10:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Ugh, yes!

I now want to watch it even more! Big Grin

Sadly, although I have Amazon Prime, it appears that it's no longer available on there.

Anybody else know where I can watch it?
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC)
Old Blue  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2018 01:11:01(UTC)
Old Blue

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Ugh, yes!

I now want to watch it even more! Big Grin

Sadly, although I have Amazon Prime, it appears that it's no longer available on there.

Anybody else know where I can watch it?

Yes it's terrible. From memory the music featured in the film differs in some respects to the released versions on the soundtrack but I can't remember the specifics.

I transferred my VHS onto DVD so you're welcome to a copy of that. PM your address.

thanks 2 users thanked Old Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 14/10/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2018 03:45:19(UTC)
perspexorange

Great! Thanks!

PM on its way!
ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
negative1  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2018 09:43:51(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
i have it also, digitized from VHS, for those that don't want to wait.

have to find it first. if anyone still wants it.

i actually enjoy the movie, but that's because i like indie films more than mainstream ones.

later
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
perspexorange on 15/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2018 11:29:08(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks. I should be getting a copy from Old Blue, but if there's a problem, I'll send you a PM.
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 17 October 2018 05:21:25(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Let's Go (Waiting for so long) is a gem and far better than both 'official' takes.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2018 10:57:25(UTC)
perspexorange

I love them all.

By my reckoning, there's six different versions of Let's Go.

From around 1985 there was:

1) First Vocal Demo (Waiting For So Long lyrics)

From the Salvation era (1987) there was:

2) Instrumental (from Salvation soundtrack)
3) Instrumental Edit (from Retro box set)
4) Second Vocal Demo (Nothing For Me lyrics) *

And, finally, from 1995 there was:

5) Let's Go (Nothing For Me) ('fade out' version) (from 1963-95 CD2) **
6) Let's Go (Nothing For Me) ('cold end' version) (from US Promo CD) **

* Not many people seem to have heard this second vocal demo, with the 'nothing for me' lyrics. I remember getting hold of it about 12 months before the official vocal version was released, in about 93-94. I traded with somebody who gave me a tape containing a few 'Salvation' demos (2 x Salvation Theme, 1 x TBHOG, 1 x Skullcrusher and 1 x Let's Go).

The other demos were just slightly different from the officially released 'soundtrack' versions. I was expecting the same from the 'Let's Go' demo.
I almost shat myself when I heard it - I couldn't believe that there was a completely unheard (by me) vocal version. I must have played it to to death for the next month or so.

The shine was taken off it a bit when they released a more polished version of the same track. Although it was nice to get a good quality version, it didn't feel like the 'world's biggest New Order secret' anymore.

Anyway, it's a little bit different and worth a listen. If anyone wants to hear it, just drop me a PM.

** I'm going to speculate that these two versions were basically remnants from the 1987 sessions that were dusted off by New Order / Arthur Baker and freshened up. I seem to think I read an interview with Baker which basically said that; he came across them lying around in his studio and messed about with them (possibly with BS recording new vocals).

I don't really know the history of the track but if I had to speculate, I reckon the timeline went something like this:

1984ish – The band start writing the track, and either can't think of any lyrics or can’t be arsed to write them (much more like it).

1984-85 – They start playing the track live, presumably hoping that the lyrics would come as they start performing and ad-libbing it (they tried and failed to do the same with Skullcrusher too).

1985 – They record a vocal demo ('waiting for so long'). They never release this and don't even perform these vocals live. The demo is scrapped and is never officially released (but appears on numerous bootlegs).

1986-87 – They record a vocal demo with completely new lyrics ('nothing for me') which they again scrap. This demo is never officially released but has, on very rare occasions, been bootlegged.

1987 – They officially record an instrumental version for Salvation. Presumably, at the same time, they also record the 'bare bones' of a 'proper' vocal version, along with Arthur Baker.

1994 – Sumner / Baker tinker with the ‘bare bones’ version mentioned above and Sumner records new vocals for release in 1995.

But there’s a (considerable) degree of speculation here. I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion.

50 Pound Note  
#11 Posted : 17 October 2018 15:00:56(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
I think at one point it was in the running for Lowlife, but Sooner Than You Think is a similar chord structure, yet a lot more electronic, so they opted for that instead.

Edited by user 17 October 2018 15:01:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 17 October 2018 23:14:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: 50 Pound Note Go to Quoted Post
I think at one point it was in the running for Lowlife, but Sooner Than You Think is a similar chord structure, yet a lot more electronic, so they opted for that instead.

Ah, interesting. I’d heard about it possibly going on Low Life but didn’t realise it had the same chord structure as STYT.
I really wish they’d put a version on the LP.

I read a comment somewhere that it might’ve been a good idea to use it instead of the highly edited TPK; leave TPK as a non-LP track, like all previous singles. I kind of like that idea.
Johnny James  
#13 Posted : 18 October 2018 01:13:38(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

I don't really know the history of the track but if I had to speculate, I reckon the timeline went something like this:

1984ish – The band start writing the track, and either can't think of any lyrics or can’t be arsed to write them (much more like it).

1984-85 – They start playing the track live, presumably hoping that the lyrics would come as they start performing and ad-libbing it (they tried and failed to do the same with Skullcrusher too).

1985 – They record a vocal demo ('waiting for so long'). They never release this and don't even perform these vocals live. The demo is scrapped and is never officially released (but appears on numerous bootlegs).

1986-87 – They record a vocal demo with completely new lyrics ('nothing for me') which they again scrap. This demo is never officially released but has, on very rare occasions, been bootlegged.

1987 – They officially record an instrumental version for Salvation. Presumably, at the same time, they also record the 'bare bones' of a 'proper' vocal version, along with Arthur Baker.

1994 – Sumner / Baker tinker with the ‘bare bones’ version mentioned above and Sumner records new vocals for release in 1995.

But there’s a (considerable) degree of speculation here. I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion.

Some details:

The original (and unreleased) version was fully recorded (with vocals) as part of the Low Life sessions late 84 in Britannia Row. In Jan 85 it was even part of an early draft for the album. By mid Jan however they replaced it with The Perfect Kiss (the band's first single on an album). There is a very rough recording of this in circulation.

Fast forward to the Salvation session (Pluto Studios), they totally re-recorded the track and do seem to have also recorded vocals for this as there is a rough mix in circulation. These vocals are a close match to the ones you hear on the 94 version.

The 94 version seems to have been reworked and re-produced using the Salvation multitracks, including the vocals recorded (but not used) from that session.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 18 October 2018 02:46:42(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

More info on Dennis' site.
perspexorange  
#15 Posted : 18 October 2018 05:04:55(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

Some details:

The original (and unreleased) version was fully recorded (with vocals) as part of the Low Life sessions late 84 in Britannia Row. In Jan 85 it was even part of an early draft for the album. By mid Jan however they replaced it with The Perfect Kiss (the band's first single on an album). There is a very rough recording of this in circulation.

Fast forward to the Salvation session (Pluto Studios), they totally re-recorded the track and do seem to have also recorded vocals for this as there is a rough mix in circulation. These vocals are a close match to the ones you hear on the 94 version.

The 94 version seems to have been reworked and re-produced using the Salvation multitracks, including the vocals recorded (but not used) from that session.

Thanks Johnny.
Very interesting. Sounds like I was pretty much correct in my understanding.

Nice to know which sessions the tracks were from (Pluto Studios etc.).

I’m really interested in stuff like that. I don’t suppose you have any other information of various sessions (dates, locations, tracks recorded etc.)? Not necessarily the Salvation sessions; any sessions will do. You sound like you’re pretty knowledgable on this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
More info on Dennis' site.

Thanks Michael.
Do you mean under the ‘Salvation’ section of the discography? Or somewhere else?
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 18 October 2018 05:16:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Debaser  
#17 Posted : 18 October 2018 06:17:24(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Where Dennis thanks James Zeiter at the bottom of his Lets Go review, is that the JS Zeiter who remixed Singularity?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#18 Posted : 18 October 2018 06:31:31(UTC)
Fotz

Scratching my head a bit regarding which versions of Let’s Go I’ve heard.Obviously I’m long familiar with the instrumental version on the Salvation soundtrack but it’s the other versions I’m a bit foggy on.I remember seeing the U.S version of the Best Of CD in a record shop here in the UK sometime in the 90s and being surprised to see on the tracklist Let’s Go (Nothing For Me) as first song.Figured it must be a different version from that on the Salvation CD. I didn’t buy that U.S version of Best Of but I think I obtained from somewhere that Let’s Go version quite a few years later . Think I have it somewhere but I looked it up on YouTube just now and I don’t remember all those la la las or na na nas so maybe I never had it or maybe listened once and forgot it.

Then I looked up the “waiting for so long” demo.Definitely never heard that before . Yep, it’s very similar in places to Sooner Than You think.

Not sure the “Nothing For Me” version is that great and it’s a strange choice to have as first song on greatest hits CD.

And yes, don’t know why they had an abbreviated version of the Salvation one on Retro. Why not just put the whole track on? Though there seems to be some sound or mastering issue in the mid to latter parts of the Salvation version. It goes a bit muffled muddy on the left side in one or two places. Maybe they were unable to sort that out before sticking it on the Retro bonus CD ( it was all a bit last minute adding that bonus disc to Retro wasn’t it? A last minute acquiesce after many fans expressed disappointment when the Retro tracklisting was announced, not enough rare stuff etc. So they decided to put Let’s Go on the disc but with a version that cuts off before the parts where the mastering or whatever was a bit rough.Just my theory on Let’s G...
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#19 Posted : 18 October 2018 08:22:00(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Scratching my head a bit regarding which versions of Let’s Go I’ve heard.Obviously I’m long familiar with the instrumental version on the Salvation soundtrack but it’s the other versions I’m a bit foggy on.I remember seeing the U.S version of the Best Of CD in a record shop here in the UK sometime in the 90s and being surprised to see on the tracklist Let’s Go (Nothing For Me) as first song.Figured it must be a different version from that on the Salvation CD. I didn’t buy that U.S version of Best Of but I think I obtained from somewhere that Let’s Go version quite a few years later . Think I have it somewhere but I looked it up on YouTube just now and I don’t remember all those la la las or na na nas so maybe I never had it or maybe listened once and forgot it.

Then I looked up the “waiting for so long” demo.Definitely never heard that before . Yep, it’s very similar in places to Sooner Than You think.

Not sure the “Nothing For Me” version is that great and it’s a strange choice to have as first song on greatest hits CD.

And yes, don’t know why they had an abbreviated version of the Salvation one on Retro. Why not just put the whole track on? Though there seems to be some sound or mastering issue in the mid to latter parts of the Salvation version. It goes a bit muffled muddy on the left side in one or two places. Maybe they were unable to sort that out before sticking it on the Retro bonus CD ( it was all a bit last minute adding that bonus disc to Retro wasn’t it? A last minute acquiesce after many fans expressed disappointment when the Retro tracklisting was announced, not enough rare stuff etc. So they decided to put Let’s Go on the disc but with a version that cuts off before the parts where the mastering or whatever was a bit rough.Just my theory on Let’s G...

Yep - that definitely sounds likely. I think there was a bit of an outcry from fans that, after the collapse of the promised Recycle project that Rob / Steve were curating, all we got was a bunch of tracks everyone had heard tonnes of times before. So, yeah, I believe the bonus disc was added to lessen the pain.

I think you're probably correct about the 'Let's G...' extract being edited because of mastering issues. I was listening to the Salvation version earlier today and noticed some mastering issues. It seems crazy though that someone couldn't have fixed the track. When you think of the great work done on the unofficial 'Recycle' project in cleaning stuff up, you'd've thought that it was possible to tidy up the track without editing it (although I'm not a technical whizz, so don't really know what would be involved).

I'm surprised you hadn't heard the 'waiting for so long' demo, Fotz. Back in the day, it seemed to be on pretty much every bootleg I ever picked up from Record Fairs, along with the Xmas Flexi tracks and that terribly murky version of Homage from the Western Works demo (which has thankfully now surfaced in superb quality).
That version of Let's Go is a pretty good song and I wish it had been tidied up and released as a B-Side at the time. I'm hoping that perhaps we will eventually get an official release (if these LP box sets ever get released, that is!)

Johnny James  
#20 Posted : 18 October 2018 11:57:35(UTC)
Johnny James

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

There is an issue with the only mixed tape that can be found of the Salvation session. There were supposed to be two mixes of 'Let's Go', one faded and the other unfaded on it. The longer unfaded one has been cut out of it leaving only the shorter faded mix. That got used on Retro, and the name was truncated too as a reference to this.

When it came to fixing the collectors edition of Low Life, the faded version was patched up with a CD rip. I think that's been spotted previously by someone, so I'm not giving the game away there.

Also, I think the collectors edition had a different mix of one of the other tracks too, Sputnik I think. Also due to the proper one being cut out of the reel.

perspexorange  
#21 Posted : 18 October 2018 12:29:29(UTC)
perspexorange

There is an issue with the only mixed tape that can be found of the Salvation session. There were supposed to be two mixes of 'Let's Go', one faded and the other unfaded on it. The longer unfaded one has been cut out of it leaving only the shorter faded mix. That got used on Retro, and the name was truncated too as a reference to this.

When it came to fixing the collectors edition of Low Life, the faded version was patched up with a CD rip. I think that's been spotted previously by someone, so I'm not giving the game away there.

Also, I think the collectors edition had a different mix of one of the other tracks too, Sputnik I think. Also due to the proper one being cut out of the reel.

Wow! How do you know all this stuff? This is great. Really interesting.
I never realised there were two different mixes of Let's Go. I just assumed one was an early fade, as Fotzepolitic said.

I also had no idea that the Low Life Collectors' Edition version of the 'Salvation Theme' was different. Listened to them both just now and they are quite a bit different. Nothing drastic; just different sounds used in places etc.

It's interesting that you thought it was 'Sputnik' that was on Low Life, rather than 'Salvation Theme'. I've often wondered if the two tracks had interchangeable titles at some point. I say this because when I first got hold of the 'Salvation Demos', if I remember correctly, one of the two demos of 'Salvation Theme' on it was labelled 'Sputnik'. I suppose it's always possible that the two were meant to be part of a 'Salvation' suite and maybe were extracts from the same longer piece of music. So the band didn't really consider them separate tracks until they were eventually split out. Pure speculation on my part though (again!).

I suppose it's much more likely that the original (or subsequent) bootlegger got the titles confused.

Do you happen to know Johnny?
Johnny James  
#22 Posted : 18 October 2018 13:15:47(UTC)
Johnny James

Wow! How do you know all this stuff? This is great. Really interesting.
I never realised there were two different mixes of Let's Go. I just assumed one was an early fade, as Fotzepolitic said.

I also had no idea that the Low Life Collectors' Edition version of the 'Salvation Theme' was different. Listened to them both just now and they are quite a bit different. Nothing drastic; just different sounds used in places etc.

It's interesting that you thought it was 'Sputnik' that was on Low Life, rather than 'Salvation Theme'. I've often wondered if the two tracks had interchangeable titles at some point. I say this because when I first got hold of the 'Salvation Demos', if I remember correctly, one of the two demos of 'Salvation Theme' on it was labelled 'Sputnik'. I suppose it's always possible that the two were meant to be part of a 'Salvation' suite and maybe were extracts from the same longer piece of music. So the band didn't really consider them separate tracks until they were eventually split out. Pure speculation on my part though (again!).

I suppose it's much more likely that the original (or subsequent) bootlegger got the titles confused.

Do you happen to know Johnny?

Just checking this and it was 'Salvation (theme)', it definitely sounds different, the original one has a whole extra keyboard thing going on in the first minute that's absent in the Low Life 2CD version.

The Japanese One  
#23 Posted : 19 October 2018 14:31:06(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)
The Salvation! version of Touched By The Hand Of God is fabulous. I much prefer this to the Arthur Baker-remixed 12” single version which, I think, was released first. Please bear with me and let me tell my story.

I attended all of the shows of New Order’s 1987 Japan tour (Tokyo x 2, Osaka + Nagoya), the group’s second visit to the country. TBTHOG was played on all but Tokyo first date (the tour’s opening night). When they started Tokyo second night with the then unreleased track, I was stunned. The overall majestic feel knocked me out — I even thought that this might be the greatest song they had ever written. After the show, I asked the sound man of the title, to which his answer was simply “Touch”. I also recognized it on the setlist on the mixing console — another working title perhaps?
That was January, and I had since been dying for its official release. However, it took an unexpectedly long time, almost a year. In the mean time, we received True Faith instead. Despite its instant classic status, True Faith did little to keep off my hunger. All I wanted was Touch.
Finally, early in 1988, the much-anticipated song was delivered to the record store in the form of a maxi-single with its finalized title. Back home, I put the import vinyl on the turntable and listened to the song that had so impressed me twelve months ago. My pleasure soon turned to a disappointment. Marred by the club-oriented arrangement as well as a rather slick production, the song sounded different, lacking a dignity I had felt from its live airing — now it almost sounded lightweight. I didn’t know what had gone wrong, but after a few listenings, I put the record aside and never “touched” it thereafter.

Sometime after, I bought the Salvation! soundtrack CD solely on the fact that New Order contributed some of the music to the product. The TBTHOG 12” was such a disappointment that the version on the album was a genuine and pleasant surprise to me, as it was much closer to my first impression of the song I heard live, with its bass-heavy arrangement intact. It restored my faith in the song. Salvation indeed.

The impression I got from the film Salvation!, however, was another matter...Confused
thanks 2 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Fotz on 19/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#24 Posted : 19 October 2018 15:13:20(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
The Salvation! version of Touched By The Hand Of God is fabulous. I much prefer this to the Arthur Baker-remixed 12” single version which, I think, was released first.

I guess the version you mentioned hearing live in 1987 was the same arrangement as the one on the 'BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert' CD recorded at Glastonbury 1987 - essentially the 'Salvation!' soundtrack version with added orchestra hit samples - worth hunting down if you've never heard it.

I personally love the 12" and 7" mixes by Arthur Baker, and have fond memories of John Peel playing it on his shows several times - apparently he used to regularly play the 12" mix in between bands at Reading Festivals when he had the opportunity to DJ there - he reckoned it sounded fantastic loud. Although I also like the rough edges of the 'Salvation!' version - but I think the 12" is my favourite version.

Edited by user 20 October 2018 01:16:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Debaser on 21/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#25 Posted : 19 October 2018 15:41:42(UTC)
Fotz

My first memory of Touched By The Hand Of God was getting a bootleg cassette through the letterbox in late April 1987 of their Woolwich Coronet gig that they had played at the beginning of that month.I had a contact address of a guy that sold New Order bootleg cassettes through NME's back pages.My first impression of TBTHOG on that bootleg was the bassline reminded me of Heart Of Glass by Blondie.I went to New Order's gig at Sheffield Roxy 8th June 1987 and they played it.All i remember about the song at that gig (it was a great gig!) was Barney doing that thing he did with rolling up his shirt sleeve and that twist of the arm punch he used to do around that time.Assumed at that time Touched would be the next single but then they surprised us with True Faith.It was a long wait til very late 87 when Touched eventually was released.First heard it on John Peel and it sounded fantastic but then when i bought the 7" and 12" a week or so later it didn't quite sound so good, not sure why.Maybe Peel's programme producer somehow beefed it up or i was hyped up and hyperventilating upon finally hearing it.

The version on the Salvation CD is the closest to that live version they were doing in spring and summer 87.

In a nightclub in Leeds some year or so later my mate pointed out that upon the DJ playing Let The Music Play by Shannon that the keyboard melody was exactly the same as TBTHOG.New Order had ripped off Shannon?
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.