logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thehim  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2018 13:16:25(UTC)
thehim

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 96 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked thehim for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 05/11/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2018 11:39:12(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Thanks.

This is a clip from a slightly longer piece on The Ozone. Shown on BBC2 on 24/10/93.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2018 12:09:42(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Didn’t think it was that rare, i watched it on YouTube a few years ago but thanks anyway.

Selfish was/is a great song.Just perfect.Cracking melody, truly lovely vocals from Gillian, really nice synths and production. A travesty it wasn’t a top ten hit.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC), CuanaD on 01/07/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2018 04:49:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Um.... oookaaaayyyy.... .Never bothered much with that remix but kind of like it here.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 10/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC), CuanaD on 01/07/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2019 11:03:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
The Other Two albums have the same failing as McCartney and McCartney II: too many 'novelty' (i.e. shit) numbers and instrumental cop-outs; not enough actual songs at all, let alone strong ones. Greatest Thing and Movin' On and that's all I can think of.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2019(UTC)
Andy  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2019 10:39:09(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
The first LP does have a lack of consistently solid material and an overall feeling of glorified demos. With the difficulties that they were starting to have with Factory, it's understandable that they weren't prepared to go for the big budget, glossy production. That being said, if Pascal Gabriel had done the entire LP, I think his beefed-up production work (as heard on his mix of Tasty Fish) would have made LP far more deserving of repeated listening. My understanding is once convinced that a New Order LP was needed to save Factory, Gabriel turned his back on The Other Two LP to put himself in line to helm what would become the Republic sessions (he has pre-production credits on Regret and Young Offender). While his production work might have made Republic more interesting to my ears, Stephen Hague's work ethic and ability to reign in the members of New Order were what was required to actually get the job done.

Like the 2nd Monaco LP, The Other Two's is generally dismissed by fans. But while the Monaco LP is solid (I think Kashmere is their best track) but inferior to their debut, Super Highways is a much more substantial effort than ...and You. I think that may partially stem from the poor single choices. The lead single, You Can Fly is a sadly generic house tune with a guest lead vocal. The 2nd was the title track with Gillian on vocals. To be perfectly clear, there must be something much more interesting going on musically for Gillian's vocal to carry a song. That is not happening there. Things pick up substantially with the 3rd track on the LP, however. I think The River is a superb track that really plays to their strengths and highlights the skills they bring to their parent group. One Last Kiss follows and is far stronger than the other Melanie Williams vocal track. But honestly, Gillian could have sung it. The drum and bass elements haven't dated it too terribly but the track is merely decent. Up next is Voytek , which could be described as an "instrumental cop-out", with its backwards vocal. Fair enough. Unwanted ends side A with a track that gives fuel to their detractors: The song has been fully realized with excellent production and proficient musicianship but is just bland. "Why bother?", you might ask. Side B is why. New Horizons should have been the housey first single (if that's the route they wanted to go). I'm not saying it's a classic, but betters the actual singles and doesn't overstay its welcome. Cold Feet is next and would have been an even better single choice. I really like this track, despite the vocalist (which was how I remember my first exposure to New Order. Barneys vocals were the weak link, initially, to me). Love the music and production. The Grave follows, and is actually pretty engaging for an "instrumental cop-out". It should have been the only instrumental on the LP, though, and kills the head of steam Side B was building. Hello picks things back up with sort of Regret-lite guitar-led New Ordery track. Solid. Ripple is the masterpiece here though. It's a quirky, synthy love song from one Other to the Other (and back again) and betters the majority of New Order's post-Factory work. It can be a goose bump instigator, or even turn on the waterworks if you're sentimental (like Monkhouse). Weird Woman closes the LP on a high with dramatic strings, samples and production work.

So really, it's not that great overall. But I guess my point is there is much to enjoy from The Other Two's catalog and they should not be dismissed on the basis of their patchy debut.

(But another good, new New Order LP is really what we want, right?)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2019 13:11:11(UTC)
perspexorange

Nice little summing up, Andy.
I'd agree with pretty much all of what you said. The first LP is 50% great little songs / 50% glorified demos. The second LP is much stronger all round, with most songs sounding finished and making nice use of soundtracks previously heard on 'Cold Feet' and 'Common As Muck'.

I do kind of wish the two of them would release some of their other soundtrack work; maybe even as download only if they don't think a CD or two would be worth doing.

PS If anyone happens to have copies of the episodes of the Channel 4 TV series 'Goldplated' that the OT soundtracked back in 2006, I'd love copies.
Can swap ya 'Common As Muck, 'Cracker' and the 'Cold Feet' pilot.
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2019 13:42:42(UTC)
perspexorange

PPS Thanks to another member of this board, I've now got hold of the original LP mixes of 'The Other Two & You'.
Presumably these are what was 'ready to go' when Factory collapsed (I think some minor tidying up occurred in the year or two after the collapse, prior to eventual release on London).

There isn't a lot of difference in the tracks. I've only been able to spot differences in 'Selfish' and 'Ninth Configuration' so far.
Interestingly, the latter has samples of the film 'Get Carter' in it and, according to (I think) the LTM website, the OT had trouble getting clearance to use these.

If anyone wants to have a listen, just PM me with your email and I'll WeTransfer over the promo LP.