logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1 Posted : 08 October 2018 11:14:42(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Think this is in the latest or a recent edition of Classic Pop magazine and it's also available in full online.A really good read this.About the making and release of Electronic in 1991.It really was a fantastic album back then, and still is.One music journalist i recall heralding it as "The greatest album ever made".I've fond memories of this album being released.

Classic Pop- The making of Electronic's first album.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy on 08/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/10/2018(UTC), Alexey Fyodorovich on 16/10/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2018 00:50:13(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Great album, almost as good as Spiceworld. They never topped it. Makes me nostalgic, which is strange cos life was even shittier back then than it is now.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/10/2018(UTC), 79order on 25/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2018 09:03:55(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Can't remember if life was shittier or not back in 1991.It's such a long time ago now.Recall playing Electronic a lot, at home and in the car because i was unable to get my hands on much other new music back then, there wasn't the easy access like there is now to any music you can possibly lay your fingertips on.So you either doshed out and gambled £10 for a CD or listened to stuff you already had.

Start of summer 91 was great with the release of the album.Later that year in late August/early September Feel Every Beat was released as a single and i remember buying the 12" and CDs and September that year was a bit of an Indian summer in the UK.

A week or so before the album came out in May that year Bernard was interviewed on Mark Goodier's evening show on Radio 1 and i taped it.Some Distant Memory got played.It was only when i bought the album i was completely taken by surprise by that magnificent ending to the song with the oboe part.It turned out that when it had been played on the radio by Mark Goodier he had faded out the song before the end oboe section.What an incredible and lovely surprise to hear that end section when i first listened to the album.

Saw Electronic at the Martin Hannett memorial thing Cities In The Park in Heaton Park , Manchester in August 1991.Electronic were ok but the definite highlight was the headliners Happy Mondays on the Sunday night.Had a whale of a time in the moshpit that night.Also went to Electronic's show at Wembley Exhibition Hall 1 in December 1991.Not a great gig and only thing i remember really from it was seeing Tony Wilson and Rob Gretton walking down some stairs after the gig.And the fact it was a bloody freezing night.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/10/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2018 07:45:46(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I meant my life. I'm a miserable wanker now, then I was a really miserable wanker.
Electronic were never really a live act. I saw the 12.91 show and I had a good time, but in retrospect it was cos I was a megafan and it was my first gig. Technically they were never the greatest show in the flesh.
Don't encourage me https://imgur.com/fyZqmw3
Even I had to laugh at the FBG comment, ''Spice' is the greatest album ever made.' Bollocks! It's 'Spiceworld'.

Edited by user 10 October 2018 07:53:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/10/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2018 20:19:59(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Bernard is pretty good at creating songs i like. Electronic should be in R and R Hall of Fame in UK ,Bernard solo also for a trifecta.I hate the USA R and R H of F.

Meanwhile Guy Pratt mentioned Peter Hook in an article about David Gilmour playing bass for most of the PF recordings among other things. It was on google today, i am a proto human/ baboon , i have not learned about posting more than words.

Meanwhile NO and PF got in the UK R and R HoF in 2005, NO is not in USA R and R Hof F. Therefore I hereby declare that the USA has a stupid Rock and Roll H of F, and deserves loud Ozzy and Yoko noise duets for the next twenty ceremonies, 3 1/2-4
hours of it ,taped recordings if they die ..If anyone likes O or Y , i do not care ,i don't.
Lastly , there is NO and PF mania going on world wide ,but SW ( spiceworld ), is quiet this side of the pond. .all hail DK(Danny Kirwan), Richard Wright, Syd Barrett, Nick and David, Ian, Bernard ,Stephen and Peter ,too bad for Roger.( in Brazil they called him a babaca(twat) ,so maybe he should write another opera.

We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2018 01:01:09(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Don't exaggerate.
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 13 October 2018 03:39:10(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post

Meanwhile Guy Pratt mentioned Peter Hook in an article about David Gilmour playing bass for most of the PF recordings among other things. It was on google today, i am a proto human/ baboon , i have not learned about posting more than words.

Here's More Than Words:

And here's the Guy Pratt article. Hook's mention is just above the photo of Pratt with microphone and brown bass. This interview really makes me jealous of people who got paid stupid money to make music back in the 80's: "in my salad days in the '80s, the music business was this ludicrous theme park awash with money. All you had to do was get over the fence, and once you were inside, you were off."

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Bernard is pretty good at creating songs i like. Electronic should be in R and R Hall of Fame in UK ,Bernard solo also for a trifecta.I hate the USA R and R H of F.
Meanwhile NO and PF got in the UK R and R HoF in 2005, NO is not in USA R and R Hof F. Therefore I hereby declare that the USA has a stupid Rock and Roll H of F,

The whole concept is stupid. NO may be "in" the UK HoF but it only lasted from 2004 to 2006 in the UK. Being in a band shouldn't be about getting official recognition and getting your back slapped. It's about doing what you want to do regardless of what anyone else thinks. It's about about sticking your fingers up to the establishment, not trying to be a part of it. Probably why Keith Richards was so appalled that Mick Jagger accepted hs Knighthood. I'm with Keith!
PS: I uh, went to the 2005 Hall Of Fame thing which was at Alexandra Palace. Clown
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2018 03:04:57(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

People get into the Hall of Fame just cos they're running out of stars to put in. After the biggies, they got desperate...
Baggie Boiler on 17/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Alexey Fyodorovich  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2018 22:10:31(UTC)
Alexey Fyodorovich

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Electronic's first album is one of my favorites and often gets played when I can't decide what to listen to; it's an album to which I don't think I'd ever tire of listening. I even have a Factory UK white label 7" single of "Get the Message" with a handwritten label (as well as a commercial Australian release on 7") which has a mix of that single that was, as I recall, withdrawn before the release at Bernard's request; admittedly, it's actually the version that I prefer. Both Bernard's and Johnny's autobiographies also contain some entertaining, slightly harrowing (and sometimes hilarious) stories around the making and promotion of this album.

Edited by user 16 October 2018 22:12:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Alexey Fyodorovich for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2018 23:58:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Some good 12" mixes too, and the band must have been involved cos they played 'em live. Fuck tou, London.
spooky  
#11 Posted : 17 October 2018 19:41:38(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
thanks for posting that article! i liked all the Electronic albums, but that first album was on heavy rotation while driving. i always wanted to read more articles about Electronic back in the day, but i hardly saw any. when i read Marr's book, i was hoping he would go more in depth about the Electronic years(and working with the PSB's), but i was a bit disappointed on the lack of stories.
thanks 1 user thanked spooky for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#12 Posted : 18 October 2018 02:52:37(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2018 23:31:16(UTC)
keepitcoming

I still have not listened to Spiceworld, but i will youtube it soon. If it is like 8 Ball by Underworld ,that would be most excellent . Maybe Underspiceworld or Spiceunderworld will tour .Also Karl Hyde and Eno made a nice interesting song called" time to waste " a while back.
Electronic made 49 songs, most are good ,for a pretty incredible setlist of at least 30 songs or so
I love comparisons,so guess how many Sir Elton ,Queen, Led Zep, Kiss , George Michael,Fleetwood Mac after Kirwan , and Roger Waters solo songs after the wall , and the Who after Who's next songs would make my playlist.? Hint ,none by Kiss, none by the Who, none by Stevie and Bucky Fleet Mac, 3 by Roger , none by GM, fewer than 30 by the others.
Oh, and Hooky has possibly set a record for most bands -JD,NO,Revenge,Monaco, Freebass ,and The Light. Six times in the Hall of Fame would be a record for sure.
July5th,2019 the Light are at the Royal Albert Hall, i will be there ,as Adam Antlers
Also , what if JD, or NO thought it would be cool to dress like Adam Ant or Paul Revere and the Raiders, or as the funny metal band that they did for TBTHOG, to jump start their career?
I wish they would do more of those making fun of heavy metal,or other silly type band's videos , but i guess they are just too nice to embarrass those type bands , How cool are our stars?, only the coolest ever . That is all.
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#14 Posted : 03 November 2018 00:23:11(UTC)
keepitcoming

Gosh, i totally forgot.
Michael , we, and by we i mean me, we want you to be happy in Rome. I could fly over ,with a comfort muskox ,or two, we can rent a two seater scooter and reenact the NO early years . You can be Bernard ,and I will be Hooky, or i get to be Bernard and you are Hooky,and we ride around ,maybe see the pantheon, and some ruins.. Even better we rent 2 scooters ,dress up like popes, with leather jacketsthat say we are the Spice Popes, waving to everyone, everyone having a lot of fun, , hey we could even go up vesuvius . Since i am the oldest NO fan (65 and 1/4), and you are maybe the youngest(?), what fun, maybe even get a gelato somewhere. Italy will never be the same
We're like kestrels
tapebias  
#15 Posted : 03 November 2018 11:34:08(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Great idea, can picture it already. KIC in Hooky leathers with MM in Bernard yachting shorts and singlet also like George and Andy Wham style.
thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2018 04:15:18(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse