logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keepitcoming  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2018 00:06:34(UTC)
keepitcoming

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 361 post(s)
Ok ,some may be offended ,but I don't care .
After seeing another magazine book in the grocery store about Tom Petty, I have to comment .
Hooky started singing on movement ,I think, and came back I thought on Fine Time , but it was Bernard. Then Revenge happened and he sang magnificently ,unlike third rate poseurs like petty and Billy Corgan to name a few, and thanks to Andy ,who does stalwart work for this site , and posted about Corgan on another thread, and reminded me of the show where someone, not me ,threw a shoe at corgan, well it was bliss.
Then I read an old Mojo , and Bernard remembered a guy interested in singing for NO after Ian died, but Bernard said the guy liked Steely Dan so no way. What a great story ,unless you like Steely Dan.'
So back to Hooky -- he writes songs that are still wonderful , and guess what ?
My playlist for Tom Petty is Zero, Springsteen - one ,I'm on fire , Sir Reggie the candle up the butt guy , maybe 6 songs, but bernie tampon deserves credit ,too . And how about Queen, I guess i have to maybe get a best of disk and decide if I want to burn the overbite's songs .
In other words , Hooky and his solo career has given the world more great songs than 4 icons of overratedness, to make few .
Just his song Marine ,from Monaco, is better than most attempts by numerous other silly bands,
More on the Mojo article later, loads of great words about The Get Ready sessions, and our heroes, at least they better be ,because the Smashing Pumkins sure aren't
PS - when new order is over, and done there had better be a lot of magazine books in grocery stores about everyone , including Gillian ,Tom, Phil, and by the way why is not Ian so rewarded ,he is a thousand million times better than Tom flipping petty
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/08/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2018 06:33:26(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 1477 time(s) in 1213 post(s)
I like a bit of positivity, but I'm afraid a lot of this is not borne out historically.
The Light always give a fine gig, but you can't honestly rate Hooky as singer or songwriter. Revenge is easily the worst LP to come out of this camp - at least the Other Two manage the occasional gem - and while GWP and M4P are strong, I'm convinced that's largely Pottsy's work. Even superegotistical Hooky admitted One True Passion was rushed because he just wanted to gig, and the reviews were atrocious. Monaco was good but MOR, à la Freebass.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2018(UTC)
Spittingcat  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2018 22:19:53(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 123 post(s)
A well put together "Hooky Solo Works & Collaborations" compilation album would be better than any New Order compilation that only contains work after Technique. He's done nothing worth commenting on for so long now though. Shame. Perhaps he knows he can't begin to match Music Complete as a complete album. I'd like him to try though.

Quote:
I'm convinced that's largely Pottsy's work.

I'm not. Do you have his solo album? Fun, but nothing close to the standard, and interest, of the second Monoco album.

Agreed that Freebass was very MoR… wrong singer… still enjoyed much of it though.

Anyway, love the stuff done with Hybrid, Crystal Method… etc.

Edited by user 06 August 2018 22:28:36(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy up

thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2018 03:38:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 1477 time(s) in 1213 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spittingcat Go to Quoted Post
Do you have his solo album? Fun, but nothing close to the standard, and interest, of the second Monoco album.

Didn't bother, but it must be better than Revenge.
There are loads of great offshoots and one-offs. http://forums.neworderon...osts&m=9464#post9464
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2018(UTC), Spittingcat on 09/08/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2018 21:29:55(UTC)
keepitcoming

One of the fun things is to intersperse those 90's songs into several cd's of about 15 songs each .Being a Luddite when it comes to playlists ,streaming and random play is too impersonal.I would rather have tangible physical things . So putting some great E Electronic songs with some Monaco songs ,and the God forsaken Revenge songs ( ok ,start with one), and add a dab of TOTAY ( i found one ,hurray,), and some normal pleasant songs from NO ,such as Republic , et voila, a never-ending story , a myriad of possibilities , the band that goes on forever ,pleasing , propelling one to further ecstasy, nirvana, and bliss..
Other news, Nick Mason ,see new Mojo, is prepping for a tour of early PF ,with Barrett songs, and early songs ,perhaps up to DSOTM. How about them Apple's and oranges.
And before I sleep, I must announce that I think I have found an action figure to represent Bernard- it is a 12" Ken doll in a white jumpsuit ,with Texas A and M logo, all it needs is the veritas deer/dog and a falling leaf ,and he will seduce catwoman, thrash villians like the joker, and whack all those dreadful wrestling heroes filling up Wal-Mart shelf space. Ah what a wonderful world, an eternity of New Order and Pink Floyd, cheers
We're like kestrels
keepitcoming  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2018 22:17:24(UTC)
keepitcoming

Gosh ,I completely forgot to mention an Ian McCulloch song, either Toad or Fear of the Known, he sings "optimismism ,dead but never sung" , he is so optimistic, likeable , and positive, but I wish he would try chantrix to stop smoking
Also , I thought they all wrote songs together, no one claiming ownership, but if not ,then Bernard is the best ,better than P Simon, B Dylan , JLennon , and P Mccartney, but if they share credit on all songs ,then Danny Kirwan takes top honors for most nice,pretty ,interesting and beautiful songs
We're like kestrels