logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dennis Remmer  
#326 Posted : 10 July 2018 03:12:29(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
Krafty + I Told You So reviews posted.

I'n enjoying the diverse opinions on the WFTSC tracks...

Sorry... been slack... too many late nights watching the World Cup.
thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#327 Posted : 10 July 2018 09:44:20(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
Krafty + I Told You So reviews posted.

I'n enjoying the diverse opinions on the WFTSC tracks...

Sorry... been slack... too many late nights watching the World Cup.

Ooh, just caught up with three of my favourite Sirens tracks in one hit, and added comments to all of them.
Incidentally Dennis, are commenters allowed to edit their comments (spelling mistakes spotted) and add discogs links, or is is that reserved for the main author only?
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 10/07/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#328 Posted : 10 July 2018 16:51:35(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Incidentally Dennis, are commenters allowed to edit their comments (spelling mistakes spotted) and add discogs links, or is is that reserved for the main author only?

I would think Wordpress would let you edit your own comments. Its not an option I have configuration control over...

Awesome commentary by the way...

ROCKET MICK on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Ben  
#329 Posted : 11 July 2018 05:30:04(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Upon hearing Krafty for the first time I found it was a letdown: it lacked the panache of Regret and Crystal as an album's first single and, above all, it was too wordy to my ears, giving me the impression Barney had tried to put as many words as he could in a 4 minute song, as if trying to catch up with the synth drums tempo. It took time before I would detect the subtleties and melancholy in it. It is still an average song to me, but it stands out as one of the best tracks of this terrible album.
thanks 2 users thanked Ben for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/07/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 15/07/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#330 Posted : 12 July 2018 03:34:45(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Krafty was a real disappointment to me - hyped as the first single and compared to Crystal, but actually mediocre, with some cringe-worthy lyrics. Agree that the Glimmers mix is plodding.
Amazed to get a positive take on ITYS but well-argued as usual. I far preferred the Price mix - gave it that energy it needed.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#331 Posted : 12 July 2018 04:58:24(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I haven’t posted for the last two or three entries, Dennis.

Primarily so as to not fill your blog with negativity. Not that I hate Krafty or ITYS, but they’re just a bit bland, IMHO. Same for MNAD, coming next.

I actually have more positive feelings about two or three of the tracks on the second side (from Dracula’s Castle onwards), so will be leaving comments then.

It’s not that I want to leave only positive comments; it’s just that I feel I’ve been starting to sound like a broken record (mainly due to my generally uninspired thoughts on GR and WFTSC).

I still read all the posts / comments thoroughly and enjoy them greatly. Keep up the great and insightful work.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#332 Posted : 13 July 2018 08:07:25(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
First heard Krafty on Pete Tong, a month or so before release.Vaguely recall thinking it was a bit meh on first listen and that Bernard was trying to fit as many words as possible in to a 3 & 1/2 minute pop song.It grew on me more once i heard the longer version (someone on NOOL had done a link to somewhere online).The only thing then i thought was a bit meh and still do is the chorus- it's a bit flat and tuneless and not Barney's best vocal.The music itself though i liked; that "ultra-clipped electro vibe" thing, the chiming melody coupled with Hooky's bass on the radio edit, the guitar .Some of those mixes you mention Dennis i've not even heard.Off the top of my head i have the Glimmers, Phones Reality, Andy Green, Album re-edit version on the second UK cd single, the Riton and also Morel's Pink Noise.Oh and the DJ Dan i have somewhere but don't recall taking to that in a big way.Prob a couple of others i've forgotten.Listened to the album re-edit version from the uk cd 2(think you didn't mention this one, Dennis) just now on the uk second cd single and i'd long long forgotten that one.It's slightly different again.Starts off with the intro repeated more and ends to strings.I'm possibly in a minority that actually likes, even loves the Glimmers mix and in fact i love the Glimmers dub on the 12".Often used to give that a spin, love the beat and the relentlessness of the track, almost trippy.I always found it quite cool.

The Phones reality starts great with the synth strings but it all gets a bit irritating and grating.

Krafty has a certain optimism i like though and i enjoyed it around 2005-2006.

Still remember hearing online Barney's hilarious shouting of the vocals at a gig in France in summer 2005 (in response to Hooky's bass being too loud?)

I like I Told You So.It has a kind of swagger like you said Dennis.I like the lyrics and it has a good vibe of going somewhere , maybe down the old west side.Kind of Happy Mondays meets the Velvets.

Edited by user 13 July 2018 08:24:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/07/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 15/07/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#333 Posted : 13 July 2018 18:40:13(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
I probably am repeating myself ,or
insufferably rehashing old praise of New Order.
Great reviews !
So many nice things said .
Of course I adore these songs ,even the second one HeyNow,road to ruin .
They have been adding to a phenomenal legacy already set way back before PCL and ever since have casually effortlessly continuously created songs so superb ,so satisfying to the Nth Max degree,
And they keep going.!!!
From the Outskirts of Infinity (j hendrix)
To The Secret Side of the Moon (Cagliostro),
New Order belongs everywhere and in paradise ,hopefully
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/07/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#334 Posted : 14 July 2018 03:23:16(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
.. i love the Glimmers dub on the 12".Often used to give that a spin, love the beat and the relentlessness of the track, almost trippy.I always found it quite cool.

Um, wow, i'm a scratching my head now.I put on the Glimmers dub version that is the second track on the b side of the 12".And, it's not the Glimmers dub i remembered or mentioned in my previous post.The Glimmers dub on the b side of the 12" has more of a shuffly beat whereas i remembered it as being a straightforward, bouncy beat.Puzzled, i vaguely recalled it's also on one of the 12x12 vinyl campaign releases form 2006 and found "The Glimmers Dub" as track 2 of the side b of the 12" which features on side a the Riton remix and first track on side 2 the Tom Neville dub of Jetstream.Upon playing the Glimmers Dub on that 12" i found the version that i remembered and loved.That's the Glimmers Dub of Krafty i meant.Getting slighty concerned about my deteriorating memory! So there's 2 "Glimmers Dub" ? Or is there a labelling mistake???

This is the Glimmers Dub i like and remembered (it turns out incorrectly) as being on the b side of the original Krafty 12".In fact it's actually on one of the b sides of the 2006 12x12 campaign (and originally somewhere else i presume?)

This is the other (original) version of the Glimmers Dub, the one actually on the Krafty 12" b side.

Looking at Discogs , so there's "The Glimmers Dub Version" 5.55 and "The Glimmers Dub" 5.40 These are not the same track, quite a lot of difference between the "Glimmers Dub"and "Glimmers Dub Version".I prefer the "Glimmers Dub", not the "Glimmers Dub Version".

Edited by user 14 July 2018 04:06:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/07/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 15/07/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#335 Posted : 14 July 2018 05:58:29(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Just in case you were interested, the 5:55 mix of the Glimmers Dub (I tend to call it the ‘Glimmers Dub (Alternate)’) is available on CD, on this promo:

https://www.discogs.com/...fty-Mixes/release/403579

It’s also on some other vinyl promos released at the time, I think.

As far as I know, the 5:24/5:40 mix is only available on vinyl and hasn’t been released on CD as yet.

I think that 5:40 timing stated on Discogs may be a little over-generous, with it probably being nearer to 5:24, which is about what both the video you linked to above and my vinyl rip runs to. However, I don’t own the original vinyl, so will stand corrected if the 12” does run to 5:40.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/07/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 15/07/2018(UTC), Fotz on 16/07/2018(UTC)
negative1  
#336 Posted : 14 July 2018 10:14:43(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Just in case you were interested, the 5:55 mix of the Glimmers Dub (I tend to call it the ‘Glimmers Dub (Alternate)’) is available on CD, on this promo:

As far as I know, the 5:24/5:40 mix is only available on vinyl and hasn’t been released on CD as yet.

I think that 5:40 timing stated on Discogs may be a little over-generous, with it probably being nearer to 5:24, which is about what both the video you linked to above and my vinyl rip runs to. However, I don’t own the original vinyl, so will stand corrected if the 12” does run to 5:40.

yeah, i mention both the dubs here;
http://forums.neworderon...sts&t=1706#post13149

but i don't see a 5:40 one.

later
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/07/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 14/07/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#337 Posted : 15 July 2018 19:46:37(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Primarily so as to not fill your blog with negativity. Not that I hate Krafty or ITYS, but they’re just a bit bland, IMHO. Same for MNAD, coming next.

My next review may shock you then Cool

ROCKET MICK on 16/07/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#338 Posted : 15 July 2018 19:50:15(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

...quite a lot of difference between the "Glimmers Dub"and "Glimmers Dub Version"

You've upset me now Wink

Johnny James  
#339 Posted : 15 July 2018 23:55:17(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

Looking at Discogs , so there's "The Glimmers Dub Version" 5.55 and "The Glimmers Dub" 5.40 These are not the same track, quite a lot of difference between the "Glimmers Dub"and "Glimmers Dub Version".I prefer the "Glimmers Dub", not the "Glimmers Dub Version".

It seems the 5:24 version, as used on the UK 12", was a mistake. It was always meant to be the 5:55 version used on everything.

Is it only the UK 12" that has that shorter one?

Edited by user 16 July 2018 00:19:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#340 Posted : 16 July 2018 09:17:17(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
...quite a lot of difference between the "Glimmers Dub"and "Glimmers Dub Version"

You've upset me now Wink

Eh? Upset? Why? Do you mean you disagree with me that the 2 dub versions are quite different? Or upset that you didn't review the "Glimmers Dub (Alternate)"? IMHO opinion the "Alternate" dub has quite a different feel and vibe to it than the other one, an addictive relentlessness to the beat and some lovely bits of piano echoing in and out in places between Bernard's repeated "One more day/one more time".

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

It seems the 5:24 version, as used on the UK 12", was a mistake. It was always meant to be the 5:55 version used on everything.

Is it only the UK 12" that has that shorter one?

I don't know,sorry.

Was this alternate Glimmers Dub released or available anywhere else before it was part of the 12x12 vinyl campaign? Can't for the life of me remember now if i'd heard it before i bought the 12x12 vinyls.

edit: Oh, it's on this one perspexorange gives a link to.

Edited by user 16 July 2018 09:23:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/07/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#341 Posted : 16 July 2018 16:18:07(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Eh? Upset? Why?

That I'm not as completist as I thought I was... Black eye

This is why I love NOOL.
ROCKET MICK on 17/07/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#342 Posted : 24 July 2018 23:43:44(UTC)
keepitcoming

There are are too many great songs and other wonderful aspects of life to worry about New Order and what have they released that I have not yet heard or bought.
Yet, there still needs to be released all the live songs they have recorded , especially last summers ' Manchester shows , and the recent shows with technique songs .maybe a nice concert compilation , same for remixes , but just the best ones. Unreleased songs , unplugged songs ,also ok, but there may not be any, Any Republic rejects might be ok.
Meanwhile , other music by other bands is not as easy to check out, as in the past , but Drift records in Totnes offers reviews of the top 100 releases each year ,that is invaluable, if my niece sends it on. It is free, and Q,Mojo ,etc. are not available in my area of Navajo nation anyway and internet is too slow and iffy here to check out new music.
Also nice is how the Electronic 2nd album gets better over time ,same for Freebass and Monaco and Revenge and BL
A new batch of songs is also a great idea, maybe some songs about sex and scifi, and dreams done very well,and they may have some cool political ideas , and songs about history , places, travel, sleeping and adventures, animals, and food might be ok, but as they seem to be so smart ,brilliant ,and even glorious when they create songs, i will just expect the usual fantasticness
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#343 Posted : 03 August 2018 03:00:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
gets better over time ,same for Revenge

Couldn't get much worse. 48.44 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZsfz-syCEs
Re MNAD: The only thing I like about being a teacher is I occasionally read something and don't agree with a single fucking word, but it's so well argured I have to give it A+. You beast.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 05/08/2018(UTC)
The Shadow  
#344 Posted : 03 August 2018 07:24:25(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
MN&D is one of the very few NO tunes I have never really liked, average at best, but after reading that review I think I need to go and listen to it again!
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 05/08/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#345 Posted : 04 August 2018 23:34:23(UTC)
keepitcoming

Back to Krafty -,being a courier, without being tied to a dispatcher interrupting every few minutes , allows for the driving experience to escalate into reverie .what better way to start the day than Krafty. Later Out of Control is bliss, and maybe too wild for city traffic. On any work day all kinds of New Order can be rerun ,rehashed, and unbelieveably some money made. Best band ever.
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 05/08/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#346 Posted : 05 August 2018 04:58:17(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Re MNAD: The only thing I like about being a teacher is I occasionally read something and don't agree with a single fucking word, but it's so well argued I have to give it A+. You beast.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

There are times when I love NOOL.

thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/08/2018(UTC), Rorschach on 11/08/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#347 Posted : 05 August 2018 05:00:14(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
MN&D... I think I need to go and listen to it again!

You love it now, don't you... damn right too.

thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/08/2018(UTC), Rorschach on 11/08/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#348 Posted : 16 August 2018 19:56:07(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Morning Night And Day + Dracula's Castle reviews now posted.

...one man's opinions as always...

ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#349 Posted : 18 August 2018 10:00:09(UTC)
Fotz

Wish i could get as excited about Morning Night & Day as you do, Dennis.It's fairly so so for me.Nice intro and outro but that's about it for me.On the final minute or two I do like Hooky's bass, Steve's drums and the strings on the outro so it has some redeeming qualities.

Difficult to muster the enthusiasm to even type about Draculas Castle. b-side at best about sums it up.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#350 Posted : 18 August 2018 18:52:23(UTC)
keepitcoming

Forewarned, another insufferably positive look at all the sirens ,and DC.
The Dracula title is not what one expects, but it is a beautiful song .

Musings

Keith Relf of Yardbirds wrote Only the Black Rose, with JimmyPage playing both guitar parts,a very very beautiful song.While Plant did sing well often enough he also had his terrible twos moments. Now he is all mellow, so I like him more now than when they played NYC for a week, the Who a week before,'69. Anyway Relf was a great singer ,could have been Led Zep's singer and I would have loved it . His Renaissance , and Armageddon were fine bands, he died on
stage.
My LZ playlist is about the same as NO sirens-18 songs but sirens are way better .
Meanwhile of much more importance is Nick Mason rehearsing with a guitarist from Spandau Ballet, and Guy Pratt, and ??, and they plan to to tour Pre DSOTM PF.
My hope is that NO and PF tour together. Make it So NO/PF- the 2 awesome and wonderful and beautiful incredible bands for a lifetime or 10.
Lastly , Ok so NO is no good after technique to many NO fans , but what is more wonderful ? What have i missed. I admit the free discs from Mojo and Q ,etc.often have cool wonderful stuff, and some bands have a lot of great songs (Luna for instance)but what band is better than NO after 1989? I cannot come up with any names other than Luna.
Also Jimmy Page's jumpsuit is at the V and A in London, size 24"waist it seems
We're like kestrels