logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2018 03:15:35(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Hi.

Just wondered if anyone has ever seen this documentary (mentioned here: http://www.joydiv.org/jdtv.htm).

If so, do you know whether its available to watch on-line?

Any help gratefully received.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/03/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2018 06:04:26(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
I'm sure i have this on an old VHS cassette somewhere.Like that link to Joy Dvision Central says in the info it was presented by Jools Holland.It was basically Jools standing by some gothic type statue outside an old house somewhere and introducing the Joy Division tv clips we've all seen anyway, i remember that much.That JD Central info states that included in the programme was the Newsnight feature that originally was broadcast around the time of the release of Touching From A Distance in May 1995.I recall watching it on Newsnight at the time and i'm sure i have it on VHS somewhere still, either what i taped from Newsnight in 1995 or what is included in the Jools Holland UK Arena thing.I remember Bernard being interviewed on it and a poster or framed picture of JD's Closer album behind him on the wall.Vaguely remember Deborah Curtis talking in the feature too.I must have recorded the UK Arena with Jools Holland thing when it was first aired in 1998 or a repeat at some later date (i'm sure it was repeated on BBC4 a few years back also).But yeah, it was bascially Jools introducing the already long avaialble JD tv apperances on Something Else etc. Of more interest is the Newsnight feature.

It must be available online somewhere, YouTube or something.I can have a look for my old VHS and transfer to my laptop and upload to YouTube but every time i upload something to YouTube i get an email seconds later crying about copyright infringement bwah bwah bwah
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 03/03/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2018 07:10:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for the info.

Sadly, I can't find it on youtube, dailymotion etc.

Hmm. You mentioning Sumner in front of a Closer picture has rung a bell. Looks like I have that 'Newsnight' bit on my hard-drive. Reason I didn't spot it was that I have it labelled as 'The Late Show' rather than 'Newsnight'.
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I watched this (and taped it) back in the day. I've labelled it as 'The Late Show', shown 16/05/95, on my VHS.
Does this seem likely, or am I confusing two separate programmes? Seem to think The Late Show was (is?) very similar to Newsnight. Maybe I've just labelled them incorrectly or I'm talking about two completely different programmes. The mind dulls after so many years / beers.

I really need to try and get all this stuff I have on VHS transferred to my hard-drive, but have no way to do so currently.
I have lots of fairly obscure stuff on tape. Nothing Earth-shattering; just stuff that isn't on YouTube and will never likely be. Things like short clips on MTV News, a little bit of stuff from obscure satellite channels etc. Was quite the collector back in the day and traded with a number of fans. I may even have slightly better quality stuff than some of the standard stuff put out on YouTube. Can't guarantee this though - not sure how the tapes have held up after all these years.

If you ever manage to transfer the complete documentary (i.e. with Jools etc.), please let me know; would be nice to compare with the 'Late Show' thing that I have.

Also, I'm always on the look out for video stuff, if anyone wants to trade etc. PM me if interested.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 03/03/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/03/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2018 08:53:34(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info.

Sadly, I can't find it on youtube, dailymotion etc.

Hmm. You mentioning Sumner in front of a Closer picture has rung a bell. Looks like I have that 'Newsnight' bit on my hard-drive. Reason I didn't spot it was that I have it labelled as 'The Late Show' rather than 'Newsnight'.
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I watched this (and taped it) back in the day. I've labelled it as 'The Late Show', shown 16/05/95, on my VHS.
Does this seem likely, or am I confusing two separate programmes? Seem to think The Late Show was (is?) very similar to Newsnight. Maybe I've just labelled them incorrectly or I'm talking about two completely different programmes. The mind dulls after so many years / beers.

I really need to try and get all this stuff I have on VHS transferred to my hard-drive, but have no way to do so currently.
I have lots of fairly obscure stuff on tape. Nothing Earth-shattering; just stuff that isn't on YouTube and will never likely be. Things like short clips on MTV News, a little bit of stuff from obscure satellite channels etc. Was quite the collector back in the day and traded with a number of fans. I may even have slightly better quality stuff than some of the standard stuff put out on YouTube. Can't guarantee this though - not sure how the tapes have held up after all these years.

If you ever manage to transfer the complete documentary (i.e. with Jools etc.), please let me know; would be nice to compare with the 'Late Show' thing that I have.

Also, I'm always on the look out for video stuff, if anyone wants to trade etc. PM me if interested.

I've found the VHS i have with the UK Arena JD & NO thing.I copied the 'Newsnight' section over to my laptop using a VHS to digital converter gadget but when i tried to upload it to YouTube i was informed the format isn't supported.All the format options on my VHS to digital box are no longer supported by YouTube, the VHS to digital converter has become obsolete when it comes to uploading to YouTube since i last used it a couple of years ago. Tried looking around online for video converters but my anti virus warned me they are dodgy when i tried to use them.So at dead end with this at the moment.One of file formats i had as an option, WMV, is supported by YouTube so they say but when i tried it came up NOT supported *scratcheshead* Grrrr.

But if you have a file on your hard drive perspexorange, 'The Late Show 16/05/95' i'd bet my house that is actually the Newsnight one,it wasn't The Late Show.I just watched it as obviously i had to while it was copying to my laptop and yep as i remembered Bernard is in a room with a nice Closer poster on the wall behind him.Deborah Curtis is interviewed in her kitchen and also featured are Tony Wilson, Peter Hook and an Irish music journalist Sean O'Hagan.There's clips of JD's tv stuff and a grainy black & white film of run down areas of a city (presumably Manchester as road signs for areas of Manchester are seen in some parts of the film and it's soundtrack is New Dawn Fades).The rest of the programme is as i recalled; Jools Holland standing in front of a gothic statue at night and introducing New Order clips like True Faith totp, Confusion video, Montreux jazz festival footage, clips from NewOrderStory and much more.And also all the JD tv stuff as i said earlier.I'm certain that file you have '16/5/95' is the Newsnight thing and which is re run in the UK Arena programme.

If anyone out there would be kind enough to recommend a good, safe video converter software programme that would be greatly appreciatedSmile

Edited by user 03 March 2018 09:19:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2018 10:27:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for the additional info.
Are there title credits for the programme that definitely state it's Newsnight? It's just that the version I have on my HDD has a female presenter at the end of it that which I think is possibly Tracey MacLeod, who presented the Late Show. The Late Show was shown directly after Newsnight. Not that I'm doubting you, I just wonder why I might have labelled it as The Late Show. If it is Tracey MacLeod, I don't think she presented Newsnight, but I could be wrong.

<<<Edit - Just noticed that, in the background with the above presenter, there's a wolf's head baying in front of the moon, which was The Late Show logo (i.e. during the credits). So the thing I've got is certainly The Late Show. I just need to establish if it's the same as you have labelled as Newsnight. Does the programme begin with the LWTUA video and the line 'Shortly after Joy Division's lead singer, Ian Curtis killed himself...'?>>>

Either way, many thanks for your attempts to get this out in the wild for us fans. It is appreciated.

Sadly, I'm not that savvy with technical stuff. I know enough to get by but have never put a video up to youtube or the like. Also, I'm on Mac, so the video converters I use might not be available on PC. I use something called VideoConverter Ultimate which I think cost me a reasonable amount, as it'll also create DVDs. Weirdly, that part of it isn't that great, but the converter works quite well. Thing is with Mac, you can often download straight from the Mac App store, so there's a certain amount of protection from viruses etc.

I've decided to buy a piece of kit / software to convert my VHS tapes. Fingers crossed I can get the VHS recorder to work and that the tapes aren't degraded to a horrible blur.

Edited by user 03 March 2018 10:41:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2018 13:46:06(UTC)
Fotz

Thanks for the additional info.
Are there title credits for the programme that definitely state it's Newsnight? It's just that the version I have on my HDD has a female presenter at the end of it that which I think is possibly Tracey MacLeod, who presented the Late Show. The Late Show was shown directly after Newsnight. Not that I'm doubting you, I just wonder why I might have labelled it as The Late Show. If it is Tracey MacLeod, I don't think she presented Newsnight, but I could be wrong.

<<<Edit - Just noticed that, in the background with the above presenter, there's a wolf's head baying in front of the moon, which was The Late Show logo (i.e. during the credits). So the thing I've got is certainly The Late Show. I just need to establish if it's the same as you have labelled as Newsnight. Does the programme begin with the LWTUA video and the line 'Shortly after Joy Division's lead singer, Ian Curtis killed himself...'?>>>

Either way, many thanks for your attempts to get this out in the wild for us fans. It is appreciated.

Sadly, I'm not that savvy with technical stuff. I know enough to get by but have never put a video up to youtube or the like. Also, I'm on Mac, so the video converters I use might not be available on PC. I use something called VideoConverter Ultimate which I think cost me a reasonable amount, as it'll also create DVDs. Weirdly, that part of it isn't that great, but the converter works quite well. Thing is with Mac, you can often download straight from the Mac App store, so there's a certain amount of protection from viruses etc.

I've decided to buy a piece of kit / software to convert my VHS tapes. Fingers crossed I can get the VHS recorder to work and that the tapes aren't degraded to a horrible blur.

Now you mention it, maybe it was The Late Show and i've mis-remembered it as Newsnight.Though wasn't The Late Show kind of tagged onto the end of Newsnight back in the 90s? But yeah it begins with the LWTUA apart video and "Shortly after Joy Division's lead singer, Ian Curtis killed himself...." so we are talking about the same clip, yes.Frustrating thing is i was able a couple of years ago to upload to YouTube stuff i'd transferred from VHS to my laptop but it now seems YouTube have changed what video formats they accept and my VHS to digital's format options are now out of date.Technology is exhausting.
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2018 14:12:12(UTC)
perspexorange

Well, if there's anything NO related that you have and want converting to a more suitable format, I can give it a go at this end, then wing them back to you. PM if you want / have anything that might be nice to post to YouTube.

Yeah, I think you're right about TLS being tagged onto the end. A programme within a programme, maybe.
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2018 03:28:44(UTC)
Fotz

Well, i thought i'd quickly try again this morning to upload the Newsnight or Late Show JD thing to YouTube and YouTube this time accepted the type of file, bizarrely.Buggered if i know why they didn't accept[ it yesterday.Anyway this is probably what you already have, perspexorange but it may be of interest to others who might not have seen it.As i've said it's from an old VHS so quality isn't the best and the audio is a bit quiet so try turning your volume up.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 04/03/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2018 04:16:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Many thanks for doing this.

However, unfortunately, it says the video is blocked in my country (UK) on copyright grounds.

Have tried various workarounds to watch it, but to no avail. Is it viewable by anyone else?

But no worries - now we have established that I have a copy, my curiosity is satisfied.

Edited by user 04 March 2018 04:20:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 05 March 2018 00:33:34(UTC)
Fotz

Many thanks for doing this.

However, unfortunately, it says the video is blocked in my country (UK) on copyright grounds.

Have tried various workarounds to watch it, but to no avail. Is it viewable by anyone else?

But no worries - now we have established that I have a copy, my curiosity is satisfied.

Bloody copyright laws.Though WMG haven’t had YouTube totally remove my upload as I can play it in here if for example I’m logged into my YouTube channel and/ or my Google account in other tabs. I don’t really understand the legal ins and outs . I can share the whole Later for UK Arena programme to you with something like Mediafire if you have that but to be honest you’ll most probably have all the JD & NO clips Jools Holland introduces and as you’ve said , you already have the Late Show section....
Michael Monkhouse  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2018 03:54:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Any stunning new INSIGHTs?
My favourite was MTV's Past - Pres - Fut in 1993. 22 minutes of supercommercial telly were never gonna just skim the surface, were they? I discovered they used to be Joy Division and had offshoots Electronic (with Johnny Marr, and he was from the Smiths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Revenge and The Other Two. More, please.
The best doc I've seen is Joy Division. NOStory is horrible but I wrote about that on another thread.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2018 14:38:52(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Any stunning new INSIGHTs?
My favourite was MTV's Past - Pres - Fut in 1993. 22 minutes of supercommercial telly were never gonna just skim the surface, were they? I discovered they used to be Joy Division and had offshoots Electronic (with Johnny Marr, and he was from the Smiths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Revenge and The Other Two. More, please.
The best doc I've seen is Joy Division. NOStory is horrible but I wrote about that on another thread.

Nope no new stunning new insights, Michael.The Late Show/Newsnight thing from May 1995 and Debbie Curtis book published around that time was the start of the Joy Division revival i always thought.That's when the reissue/ repackage/remaster/greatest hits JD campaign all began.They became hip with a younger generation that wasn't around the first time for the first time.Probably reached it's peak with the Control film and the superb,as you mentioned, Joy Division Grant Gee doc in 2007.Unfortunately the famous Unknown Pleasures tee went on to become vacuously as hollow a fashion statement as Ramones tee shirts.Joy Division as fashion accessory.

ROCKET MICK on 09/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2018 05:55:10(UTC)
perspexorange

I think that the Unknown Pleasures t-shirt still has a level of ‘cool’ that the Nirvana / Ramones t-shirts don’t.

The majority of people still don’t really know the design. It may seem familiar to them, but they often don’t know what it is.

I have two UP t-shirts; one from HMV with big ‘Joy Division’ letters underneath and the other with just the waveform (i.e. without text, just like the original sleeve). I never wear the former one; only the latter. As it doesn’t say what it is, I get quite a few people ask me about it.

Still wish I had my LWTUA 12” t-shirt from the late 80s. Of course, it would be a little tight on me now, sadly.

That Grant Gee ‘Joy Division’ documentary was superb. It’s up there with Dec Hickey’s ‘From Heaven To Heaven’ book as being the two finest examples of JD/NO ‘media’.

Have always wished they’d release a special edition of the documentary. Have it contain a second disc with all the JD video material out there (TV performances, HATYM, Bowden Vale, Whitehead doc etc.).
ROCKET MICK on 09/03/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2018 09:01:58(UTC)
Fotz

I remember one white hot summer day in 1984 and walking along a street in the town where I live and this incredibly beautiful woman walks past me in the opposite direction and she wS wearing an Unknown Pleasures tee. I was only about 16 , she must have been in her late 20s. I was speechless; it was probably the first time I’d ever seen someone in a Joy Division tee shirt, it was extremely rare back then. And the double overload that it was this really hot woman ( I’m probably not allowed to say that anymore I guess)... needless to say I didn’t have the nerve to say anything to her and I never saw her again in my life. It was just so rare , where I live at least ( the Midlands, which has never been enthusiastic about Joy Division or New Order or any of the Manchester bands) to see someone in a JD tee. I guess things made a massive impression on you at that age.

I only ever bought a couple of Joy Division tees, I had an Unknown Pleasures one and a Love Will Tear Us Apart one sometime in the 80s but I was always more into New Order tees. Possibly my favourite New Order tee was the summer 1984 tour one. That mad picture / painting . It didn’t actually have the tour dates on and I didn’t see them on that tour , I was maybe still a bit young , but it was the same picture as the tour poster. Sadly time took its toll on that shirt before the end of the 80s. I could look into getting a tee printed up somewhere again if that design if I obtained the pic and took it in I guess but I haven’t worn band tees for years, guess I grew out of it years ago.
ROCKET MICK on 10/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2018 12:59:25(UTC)
perspexorange

A beautiful woman in a JD t-shirt. Yep - that's probably my idea of heaven.

I occasionally wear band t-shirts. As well as the UP one, I currently have one with the Movement cover on that I absolutely love. But it's starting to look a little haggard. Might have to try and get another one. It was a really good quality t-shirt. I sometimes wear a Comsat Angels t-shirt and it's great when someone comes up to you and comments on the band, as they are fairly obscure (outside post-punk fans, of course) and it's nice to meet fellow enthusiasts.

The quality of t-shirts purchased online is a real problem. I have bought two or three that have been absolutely terrible. I bought a Gang Of Four one once and the letters on it feel like plastic-coated stickers and applied to the very cheapest t-shirt.

I don't recall that 1984 t-shirt. Was it the cover of Thieves Like Us?
Fotzepolitic  
#16 Posted : 09 March 2018 14:33:48(UTC)
Fotz

No it was like this (this wasn't mine, this is a pic i managed to find online) .The strange drawing was the pic used on the tour poster for the summer 84 uk tour.

UserPostedImage

Michael Monkhouse  
#17 Posted : 10 March 2018 04:26:24(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I think the reason there's never been a definitive NO doc is cos it'd spoil the fun and frustrations for the fans. I'd love something à la Beatles Anthology, Pistols Filthy and Fury, Jd, um, JD, but...
ROCKET MICK on 13/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2018 07:28:35(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

No it was like this (this wasn't mine, this is a pic i managed to find online) .The strange drawing was the pic used on the tour poster for the summer 84 uk tour.

UserPostedImage

Ah, I'd forgotten about that image. Wonder if it was Saville. Doesn't really look like it, but still cool nonetheless.
perspexorange  
#19 Posted : 10 March 2018 07:33:00(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I think the reason there's never been a definitive NO doc is cos it'd spoil the fun and frustrations for the fans. I'd love something à la Beatles Anthology, Pistols Filthy and Fury, Jd, um, JD, but...

I guess the closest we ever got is NewOrderStory which was basically a piss-take, but fun nonetheless.

I still remember that when that was first shown, New Order were playing Reading in 1993 (my first NO gig; bloody awesome!).
Had to set the video for it. I think I also got at least two other people to tape it, just in case my copy failed.

Great TV planning; to broadcast a documentary about the band at exactly the same time as the band were playing their first (and last!) UK gig in four years.

ROCKET MICK on 05/04/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#20 Posted : 13 March 2018 04:46:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Great TV planning; to broadcast a documentary about the band at exactly the same time as the band were playing their first (and last!) UK gig in four years.

Probably intentional, the daft bastards.
NOStory is cringeworthy, but at least the VO is the closest I've ever got to experiencing a female orgasm. After I was conceived... I don't think it's a parody cos Paul Borely has the sense of humour of Angela Merkel and the self-irony of Liam Gallagher. If it IS a joke, it kinda wears thin over 2 and a half hours.

Edited by user 15 March 2018 05:24:11(UTC)  | Reason: I had to