logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#26 Posted : 09 November 2017 13:46:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Crikey. I could have listed 50 songs and still kicked myself for leaving stuff off.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 09/11/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2017(UTC), VanGelder on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#27 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:18:32(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Slicing Up Eyeballs are running one of their votes. They’ve already done bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure and R.E.M. and have now turned their attention to New Order.
Get voting:
http://www.slicingupeyeb...avorite-new-order-songs/

Interesting looking at the ones they've already done. I can't believe that the REM No.1 was Fall On Me.
I mean yeah I know it, but honestly I barely even like it (could it be one of those tunes that everyone voted for but it's no one's favourite?). One of the joint No. 2s: Radio Free Europe is much better IMHO, and always makes me think "they were listening to Joy Division". They're just about to re-release Automatic For the People as a deluxe fancy thing. It must be what, 25 years old now??

I don't listen to the Smiths much these days, mostly because despite what my teenage self might say, Morrissey sounds a bit miserable. But looking through the list I'm reminded of the overall high quality of their stuff.

As for Depeche Mode, I have never described myself as a fan of the band, but looking back, I have owned at least four of their albums at some point in my life (Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, Music For the Masses, Violator) which is almost as many decent albums as NO have made. Looking through their tracks I must admit I'm quite fond of...well, all of the top 5 along with Stripped, Behind The Wheel, Personal Jesus. In fact pretty much all of the top 14. Loved the grainy B&W Anton Corbjin videos for tracks like Never Let Me Down again in 1987, nice moody vibes. The bluesy I Feel You, and Walking in My Shoes are probably the last things by them that I liked which leads me to think that Songs of Faith & Devotion may have been their last good LP. Can any Depeche Mode fans confirm?

As for NO, I kinda went through the albums chronologically, and then the stand-alone singles. I suspect there are a couple on my list that people may baulk at.
Incidentally I think splitting Run and Run2 will split the vote on what should be a high ranking track. And it's a bad idea.

Age Of Consent
YSF

Love Vig
TPK 12"
Sub Culture
Elegia

BLT
All Day Long

Run
Vanishing Point
Dream Attack
All The Way

Regret

Crystal

WFTSC

Singularity
Nothing But a Fool
Academic

Ceremony
EGG
Temptation
Blue Monday
True Faith
TBTHOG
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2017(UTC)
Ben  
#28 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:54:22(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
As for Depeche Mode, I have never described myself as a fan of the band, but looking back, I have owned at least four of their albums at some point in my life (Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, Music For the Masses, Violator) which is almost as many decent albums as NO have made. Looking through their tracks I must admit I'm quite fond of...well, all of the top 5 along with Stripped, Behind The Wheel, Personal Jesus. In fact pretty much all of the top 14. Loved the grainy B&W Anton Corbjin videos for tracks like Never Let Me Down again in 1987, nice moody vibes. The bluesy I Feel You, and Walking in My Shoes are probably the last things by them that I liked which leads me to think that Songs of Faith & Devotion may have been their last good LP. Can any Depeche Mode fans confirm?

Songs of Faith and Devotion certainly was their pinacle, but Ultra (the next one) is, imho, among their best; Playing the Angel and Spirit are very good too. This makes 3 good albums after Songs of Faith, and 3 bad.

Sorry for drifting out of topic.

Choosing the 25 best NO songs is a pain... Not quite sure about my selection yet, will have to think about it a little longer.
thanks 2 users thanked Ben for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2017(UTC), Debaser on 10/11/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#29 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:58:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Can’t remember what the final top ten was for R.E.M. but if Pretty Persuasion, So. Central Rain and Boxcars weren’t in there, I’d be annoyed.
Anything after the IRS years with R.E.M. kind of left me a little cold. I think they became a little too mainstream. Green has some good moments though.

I’m a massive Depeche fan and would state that anything after SOFAD really isn’t worth listening to. There’s a handful of reasonable tracks on the remaining 6 albums but, to be honest, I’m struggling to name them.
‘Wrong’ is great. That’s probably the only really decent thing they’ve done in over twenty years. All IMHO, of course.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2017(UTC), Debaser on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Ben  
#30 Posted : 09 November 2017 16:19:25(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I eventually ended up with a list... Still not 100% sure of my choice. No songs from Movement although some were very decent (Dreams Never End, Chosen Time...) but the singles from this period are more interesting to my ears. No songs from Lost Sirens although Californian Grass and Recoil are decent too.

Strange that Temptation and Temptation 98 are proposed as different tracks, while Temptation 87 from Substance isn't. IMO it's a mistake to consider remixes and alternate versions as different songs. It can only dilute the votes.

In chronological order:

Ceremony
EGG
Temptation

Age of Consent
Your Silent Face
Leave Me Alone
Blue Monday
Thieves Like Us
Lonesome Tonight

The Perfect Kiss
Love Vigilantes

BLT
All Day Long
True Faith

All the Way
Round & Round
Vanishing Point
Dream Attack

Regret
Special

Crystal
Here to Stay

Turn

Academic
Singularity

thanks 1 user thanked Ben for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Andy  
#31 Posted : 09 November 2017 18:18:04(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Slicing Up Eyeballs are running one of their votes. They’ve already done bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure and R.E.M. and have now turned their attention to New Order.
Get voting:
http://www.slicingupeyeb...avorite-new-order-songs/

Interesting looking at the ones they've already done. I can't believe that the REM No.1 was Fall On Me.
I mean yeah I know it, but honestly I barely even like it (could it be one of those tunes that everyone voted for but it's no one's favourite?). One of the joint No. 2s: Radio Free Europe is much better IMHO, and always makes me think "they were listening to Joy Division". They're just about to re-release Automatic For the People as a deluxe fancy thing. It must be what, 25 years old now??

I don't listen to the Smiths much these days, mostly because despite what my teenage self might say, Morrissey sounds a bit miserable. But looking through the list I'm reminded of the overall high quality of their stuff.

As for NO, I kinda went through the albums chronologically, and then the stand-alone singles. I suspect there are a couple on my list that people may baulk at.
Incidentally I think splitting Run and Run2 will split the vote on what should be a high ranking track. And it's a bad idea.

Age Of Consent
YSF

Love Vig
TPK 12"
Sub Culture
Elegia

BLT
All Day Long

Run
Vanishing Point
Dream Attack
All The Way

Regret

Crystal

WFTSC

Singularity
Nothing But a Fool
Academic

Ceremony
EGG
Temptation
Blue Monday
True Faith
TBTHOG

Fall on Me is Johnny Marr's favourite R.E.M. track.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#32 Posted : 09 November 2017 21:33:25(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Academic , just take movement ,republic, and lost sirens, and voila 25 songs that make one forget depeches, cures, and rems.
Normally ,it began for me with
Transmission
LWTUA
Atmosphere
Ceremony

Or begin with

Temptation
EGG
Procession
Cries and Whispers
Denial
Turn the Heater On
Age of Consent
Your silent face
Blue Monday
Perfect Kiss
This time of night
Way of Life
Paradise
BLT
All Day Long
Every Little Counts
Lonesome Tonight
True Faith
All the Way
Run
Round and round
Love less
Vanishing point
Dream Attack

But
all of Republic ,all of Get Ready ,and all 17 sirens, and all but hatred in mc
have the right stuff for a top 25 appearance.
But, more important,
How could New Order be considered after cure, depeche or rem, or any band , and who could possibly find more than 3 great songs by those 3 bands for a list ? Maybe combined, i guess

We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#33 Posted : 09 November 2017 22:07:20(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
I was too mean to the cure, so here are
All cats are grey
Caterpiller
Charlotte Sometimes?
I"'ll run away with you
Plainsong
Pictures of you

And Rem- radio free europe, and songs from the gargoyle first album

Depeche- just can't get enough, but honestly ,
Je Vais a la Peche , by the flying pops is better.
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
jc73  
#34 Posted : 10 November 2017 02:31:32(UTC)
jc73

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i dont post on here or visit as much as i have time for, but im defo doing this but i need to re visit some stuff first.

just out of interest, and this may be a hard to take question or thought, but has anyone ever done a Top 10 of their worst tracks?

id be interested to see what others would go for!!

Again id have to revisit stuff..
thanks 1 user thanked jc73 for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#35 Posted : 10 November 2017 03:57:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: jc73 Go to Quoted Post
i dont post on here or visit as much as i have time for, but im defo doing this but i need to re visit some stuff first.

just out of interest, and this may be a hard to take question or thought, but has anyone ever done a Top 10 of their worst tracks?

id be interested to see what others would go for!!

Again id have to revisit stuff..

I think this is more difficult and made all the more so due to the occasional 'messing about' tracks (e.g. the Hacienda flexi) that the band did. I think some of these were just experimental and, probably in the case of the Xmas tracks, they're meant to be a bit terrible.

The soundtrack work is also problematic. I mean, who really wants to listen to 'Get Out'? There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but if you were listing tracks by New Order that you'd skip through on a 'complete playlist', this one would probably be on the list. If you include all the soundtrack stuff in your list, you'd get to 10 before you'd get around to including some of the proper songs you disliked.

That being said, I'll give it a go. Here is my list of 'proper' New Order tracks that I think are the worst (in no particular order):

1) Chemical (just plain terrible)
2) Rock The Shack (probably not as hated by me as it is by others, but still fairly awful)
3) Liar (too cheesy)
4) Slow Jam (boring; terrible lyrics - "the sea was very rough; it made me feel sick. But I like that kind of stuff; it beats arithmetic")
5) Superheated (far too nice; sugary-sweet)
6) Run Wild (bleuurrgh! Sappy lyrics "when Jesus comes to take your hand, I won't let go")
7) Vietnam (can we consider this, seeing as if it's a cover?)
8) Krafty (never sure why this was a single; 'Guilt' would've been a far better choice)
9) Working Overtime (...I'm struggling to get to 10 at this point)
10) I Told You So (bit boring, but not terrible)

Just for information, here are the ones I excluded from my listings before I even started to try to pull this together:

1) Ode To Joy
2) Rocking Carol
3) Are you ready, are you ready, are you ready for this?
4) Theme (Hommage à MGM)
5) Get Out
6) Exit
7) Hypnosis
8) Sputnik
9) Skullcrusher
10) Salvation Theme
11) Video 586 (which would never make my list of worst tracks; it's awesome)
12) The Happy One (again, see above; great tune)
13) Peter Saville Soundtrack

There's probably at least 5 or 6 of these that, if included, would supplant some of the tracks in my main list. It just didn't feel right / fair including these 'throwaway' / 'soundtrack' type pieces.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#36 Posted : 10 November 2017 04:26:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Hmm.
You know, if I expanded my top 10 to include a few other tracks (say 5 or so), I'd have probably included Face Up, Every Little Counts and Avalanche.

This would highlight the fact that, in my opinion, New Order struggle to end LPs on a positive note.
Movement (Denial), PC&L (Leave Me Alone) and Technique (Dream Attack) would be the only LPs that end on good tunes (i.e. ones that didn't make my 'worst' list).
Michael Monkhouse  
#37 Posted : 10 November 2017 10:23:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Col72 Go to Quoted Post
[
I agree......

I don't believe it.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#38 Posted : 11 November 2017 08:43:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Years ago there was a 'worst song' thread but it seems to have disappeared. My votes:
Video 586: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Hurt: Sounds like Simon le Bon strangling a cat. Steve says it was good live cos they'd impro but I still hate it.
Liar: Makes Elton John sound like John Lydon.
Chemical. No explanation necessary.
Player in the League for the lyrics.
Face Up. What a mess.
Wanking Overtime. Punk AND laid back? Impossible.
Cock the Shit: ditto. The FACt it has some Primal Scream is just taking the piss.
Sugarcane.
Control tracks which I actually like but 2 years and talk of an OST for 2.85 seconds is taking the piss too. Apparently there are full length versions in the vaults but I'm a proof of the pussy person.
ROCKET MICK on 11/11/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#39 Posted : 12 November 2017 06:13:43(UTC)
perspexorange

I think Chemical, Liar and Rock The Shack would be on most people's 'worst' list.

As regards 'Face Up', I've always thought that it's a bit of a mess. I've grown to accept it over the years but, back in the day, I felt it really let down 'Low Life' and was the only weak track on there (yeah I like Sooner Than You Think which, I know, isn't to everybody's taste).

I was quite surprised when Steve said in a recent interview that he 'thought it was a fantastic, fantastic song'. I think it works better performed live than on the record.
VanGelder on 13/11/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/11/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#40 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:11:56(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Wow amazed anyone can think face up is a mess, if it is a mess it is a glorious one, made my top 25!

Also love Hurt, understand the Duran Duran comment but still an excellent full of energy track. The light playing it live was wonderful. Never heard new order play it but I have live versions of the track.

4 worst not counting flexi

Working overtime
RTS
Liar
Chemical

Can’t say I hate any others to the extent of the word hate anyway. Not keen on morning night and day, Jetstream, shake it up, sugarcane

thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/11/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#41 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:19:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Steve said in a recent interview that he 'thought it was a fantastic, fantastic song'.

Probably just stuttering.
Sorry to repeat myself but LowLife goes WAY downhill after the midway mark.
I seem to remember a RaiseThePressure Marr being asked what his least favourite NO track was and his responding STYT.
PS I was right https://imgur.com/TmAiqjz

Edited by user 13 November 2017 10:38:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#42 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:27:58(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
The light playing it live was wonderful.

Yes but to rework Bob Monkhouse, a Light gig is like sex. Even when it's shit, it's great.
As I said in my earlier post, NO have never exactly knocked 'em out like a teen the minute Ma and Pa fuck off. Even in their so-called heyday, they famously considered 2 12"s a decent year's ouput. Strip away the hype, those OTHER BANDS (JD to BL) and the one-offs (Martha Ladly, Sub Sub, Hybrid etc) and there really aren't that many actual tracks to draw on. You'da thunk that 37 years on it'd be child's play to rustle up 25 faves, but I was genuinely strugglin' after my top ten. I know far, far less about The Beatles but I reckon I could pinpoint 25 Beatle classics from 66 to 70 alone.
PS After due consideration, I was right again. But I won't go off topic.

Edited by user 13 November 2017 10:46:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#43 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:36:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
Wow amazed anyone can think face up is a mess, if it is a mess it is a glorious one, made my top 25!

Also love Hurt, understand the Duran Duran comment but still an excellent full of energy track. The light playing it live was wonderful. Never heard new order play it but I have live versions of the track.

4 worst not counting flexi

Working overtime
RTS
Liar
Chemical

Can’t say I hate any others to the extent of the word hate anyway. Not keen on morning night and day, Jetstream, shake it up, sugarcane

Yeah - 'hate' is all relative. I don't 'hate' any New Order like I 'hate' say, Simply Red / The Lighthouse Family etc.

I love 'Hurt'. Adore it even. Magnificent, bonkers stuff.

Face Up I find a little bothersome but, again, I think that's relative; the rest of Low Life is wonderful, IMHO, so it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.
Still, it's infinitely better than Chemical.
Michael Monkhouse  
#44 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:41:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

'Hate' is a strong word and should only be used for child abusers, fascist dictators and Matt Cardle because he has kissed Mel C.
LowLife starts out fabulously but the second side is 1 boring - 2 mediocre - 3 about wanking - 4 Face Up.
Anal with a gorilla is better than Chemical. But Liar is even worse.
perspexorange  
#45 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:43:22(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post

But, but, but... Elegia and Sub-Culture.
That bass coming in at 3 minutes 20 seconds in the latter is EASILY one of the greatest bits of music ever consigned to vinyl.
FACT!
Michael Monkhouse  
#46 Posted : 13 November 2017 10:57:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

EASILY one of the greatest bits of music ever consigned to vinyl

4.20 . 4.23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1CeUHpyX4
Elegia is so boring even that dick who made the Breakfast Club (aka 4 stereotypes constitute The Catcher in The Rye) couldn't include more than one minute of it.
Subculture is a grown man talking about wanking. I've been doing that for years.
Debaser  
#47 Posted : 13 November 2017 12:15:01(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)

I beg to differ.
I seem to remember a RaiseThePressure Marr being asked what his least favourite NO track was and his responding STYT.
PS I was right https://imgur.com/TmAiqjz

He also says he doesn't particularly like This Charming Man! FFS. Having said that I agree on Sooner Than You Think. My other least fave Low Life track is Sunrise (although the intro is cool) , so that's one from each side.

LowLife starts out fabulously but the second side is
1 boring - Disagree. It's brooding and beautiful.
2 mediocre - Agree.
3 about wanking - Yes but but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable. The music that is.
4 Face Up. - I actually like this. The vocals on the chorus sound out of tune and let it down, and they should have left the vocals off the fade-out, but there's a good song in there.

But, but, but... Elegia and Sub-Culture.
That bass coming in at 3 minutes 20 seconds in the latter is EASILY one of the greatest bits of music ever consigned to vinyl.
FACT!

Exactly.

EASILY one of the greatest bits of music ever consigned to vinyl

4.20 . 4.23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m1CeUHpyX4

"This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." UK that is.

Elegia is so boring even that dick who made the Breakfast Club... couldn't include more than one minute of it.

Nice try! Directors use music any way they want in a film. Most songs don't get played in full in any film. I remember being thrilled to hear Elegia and TLU in Pretty In Pink as I only expected Shellshock in there. The way Elegia was used to convey tumoil/upset was excellent. Hughes wasn't dismissing NO, he was embracing them.

Subculture is a grown man talking about wanking. I've been doing that for years.

Referring back to that 'Lec interview, I would suggest that's better than the sacharine lyrics of say, Celine Dion. And regardless of the subject matter it's a great tune.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/11/2017(UTC), Rorschach on 13/11/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#48 Posted : 13 November 2017 12:58:40(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Also new Order normally end well on their albums

Denial - per Deck,s book from heaven to heaven this should have been a monstrous ending track as per the track played live, it wasn’t, but still ok

Leave me alone - one of the greatest tracks ever by any band. After all the futurism of pc& l they throw this curve ball, a wonderful wonderful track.

Face up - as stated previously I love this track, full of energy

Every second counts - great ending of the album type track.

Dream attack - another one of new orders finest, great ending to a sublime album

Avalanche - decent instrumental and a nice way to end the album

Run wild - one of my favourites on the album, lovely melodica, works well as a last track on this album.

Working overtime - terrible

I told you - how the track should have sounded in the first place

Superheated - another track some fans seem to dislike but I think it’s a lovely slice of pop genius. I know I’ll get some stick for these comments, but the Truth Hurts.

Only one ending track that doesn’t cut it. Only opinions-but.....

Edited by user 14 November 2017 09:11:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not sure why I put singularity

thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2017(UTC), perspexorange on 14/11/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#49 Posted : 14 November 2017 12:44:10(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

LowLife's a strange one for me. It's considered a classic, not only by the fans, but by journos (so it must be true). In those 'Best LPs ever' - if they include NO at all, it's always Technique. And if they include a second NO one, it's always LowLife. But for me, it only boasts 4 awesome tracks (including a PK edit that makes Razormaid sound like Trevor Horny). Give me the joy, experimentation and sense of renewal of PCL any day.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2017(UTC), VanGelder on 15/11/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#50 Posted : 14 November 2017 15:26:19(UTC)
perspexorange

Lowlife is third for me, in terms of ranking NO LPs. But it’s a good third.

I’m always undecided which is number 1 and 2 though; PC&L or Technique.

Technique is probably my favourite, with it also probably being my favourite album by any band. I think it’s quite possibly the ‘perfect’ album. Every track is magnificent, IMHO.
However, PC&L is monumental. A milestone in music. A brilliant fusion of guitars and electronics. It’s impact on music is still being felt today.

So, I guess, I’m torn. Heart says Technique. Head says PC&L.

Also, two out of the three greatest album sleeves of all time, in my opinion. Alongside Unknown Pleasures, of course. 😀
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2017(UTC), VanGelder on 15/11/2017(UTC)