logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2017 11:30:47(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
This lot really are ace.Frontman is fricking brilliant, he simply don't give a fuck.
Respect.

Run , Sam, run

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2017 11:39:08(UTC)
Fotz

Run, Rocket, run.
ROCKET MICK on 15/09/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2017 12:40:41(UTC)
Fotz

No? No takers?

Ok, every New Order fan is only interested in a greatest hits album that was released 30 years ago . Or failing that any band that sounds vaguely like New Order. Delphic? Or whatever their stupid name was , they had one song that sounded vaguely like New Order. Wow. What a global worldwide phenomenal success they turned out to be , eh? Jeez, but it's ok because they sound like New Order. Yawn. Does anyone on this forum ever bother listening or trying any new music?
ROCKET MICK on 17/09/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2017 17:32:01(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
No? No takers?

Ok, every New Order fan is only interested in a greatest hits album that was released 30 years ago . Or failing that any band that sounds vaguely like New Order. Delphic? Or whatever their stupid name was , they had one song that sounded vaguely like New Order. Wow. What a global worldwide phenomenal success they turned out to be , eh? Jeez, but it's ok because they sound like New Order. Yawn. Does anyone on this forum ever bother listening or trying any new music?

Pissed-posting or just pissed off?

Have a look through the "What Are You Listening to now" thread. Not many of us on there these days, but the handful who contribute are listening to some interesting stuff - especially me. Ha!
Fat White Family, Wolf Alice, new albums from Soulwax and LCD Soundsystem, I've got the QOTSA album downloaded too but need to actually listen to it.

I was watching the Mercury Music Prize on BBC4 on Thursday night. The only thing that I really cared for from the Final 12 was the current XX album. Mind you last night's winner Sampha may have something about him and I've just downloaded his album, but only know one song so far. I saw some debate on twitter about whether music was as exciting as it used to be. Former winner, Geoff Barrow of Portishead (always provocative/funny/dry) said on twitter: Imagine if Joy Division or the Specials came on stage now. An early JD set certainly would have been the most raucus thing of the evening. Others were saying: it's the old folks who think new bands aren't as good. Certainly I don't know who has taken the scene by storm since the Arctic Monkeys ten years ago. Even though I'm not a proper fan, I respect that the AMs came with some energy and attitude, songs and wit. Who does that now? Perhaps some of the rappers, but they tend to lack tunes.

Actually my answer to my question above is Fat White Family. Saw them for the 4th time in September 2016 when they managed to comandeer the Brixton Academy (Hooky was doing Substance the same night at the Forum, but i forsook the New Order-ish option). Great anarchic/sleazy attitude and tunes too. The only indoor gig I can recall where female gig goers went topless on people's shoulders. They've since been signed to Domino records having been on a really tiny label. Touch The Leather and Auto Neutron would be a good place to start.

As for Future Islands, they're a funny one. They suddenly gained fame after that performance on Letterman which went viral (Letterman is retired now, sadly and has grown a huge Captain Birdseye beard. Clearly gone into "don't give a shit" mode).
So lots of people know who they are but I wonder how many have bought thier music?

I haven't, although I did see Future Islands live at a festival a couple of years back. And they were pretty much as I expected - quite good, but probably not going to get me to specifically buy tickets to see them. The vocalist is indeed bonkers and doesn't give a fuck, which is perhaps a blessing and a curse. Towards the end of that Jools Holland performance his "Death-Metal" vocal tic really starts to come out. It feels almost as though he's in the wrong band. Or perhaps they need a guitarist to rock up their sound a bit. I suspect they will always be a bit of an anomaly, and most people will only know them for one song. But at the same time, I wish them well and wouldn't rule out catching them at a festival again, if the schedule allowed.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2017 23:46:30(UTC)
Fotz

Great stuff, Debaser. Good to know someone is interested in music that doesn't sound remotely like New Order/Factory/ Manchester. Sorry but I have an impression that a lot of NO fans are only interested in New Order soundalikes or have some New Order / Factory connection. I must investigate The Fat White Band further . I have heard one or two of theirs on the radio and think I'd quite like them. Certainly more interested in giving them a listen than a 30 years old greatest hits compilation like Substance.

Have to admit though, I never bother following that Mercury award thing!