logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<3940414243>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1001 Posted : 05 May 2017 17:12:48(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
"As sure as sin, peace begins within
I'm never gonna try again
As sure as sin, peace begins within
The world is a place where the light gets in"

Yeah man,hic

Edited by user 05 May 2017 17:13:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/05/2017(UTC)
VanGelder  
#1002 Posted : 07 May 2017 11:18:27(UTC)
VanGelder

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 21 post(s)
LCD Soundsystem,
Call the Cops and American Dream

Been anxious for new material ever since Christmas Will Break Your Heart (a brilliant return, dripping with wintery dejection) dropped in 2015.

Never expected the new tracks to actually surpass my expectations, but these are great.
I am especially loving American Dream. The synthesizers are superb, full of this wonderful, melancholic longing. And James Murphy's vocals sounds so painfully weary, especially toward the end as the synths grow in intensity and swallow his voice.

Man oh man I am so happy about this.
Cannot wait for the new record!

Edited by user 07 May 2017 11:19:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked VanGelder for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/05/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#1003 Posted : 08 May 2017 09:42:54(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VanGelder Go to Quoted Post
LCD Soundsystem ...
I am especially loving American Dream. The synthesizers are superb, full of this wonderful, melancholic longing.

About those synths. Have a listen to this from about 0.44.

Despite this, I am pleased that both tracks are at least reasonable, even if they don't blow me away (Call The Police sounds a bit like U2 trying to re-write All My Friends). There's always the expectation that these 'returns' will be amazing, but often they aren't. 7.5 out of 10 for me.

EDIT: The tracks first appeared on Spotify & download sites but I've just noticed they are on Youtube as well. For anyone who hasn't heard them:

Edited by user 08 May 2017 09:58:42(UTC)  | Reason: adding LCD videos.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#1004 Posted : 08 May 2017 10:38:31(UTC)
Fotz

Call The Police at times, especially at the beginning, sounds like Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips singing a cover version Procession by New Order.

But yeah, i liked both songs and would play them again i think.
Ken Doherty  
#1005 Posted : 09 May 2017 01:49:28(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Been listening to the remaster/re-release of Leftism by Leftfield ahead of their shows at Brixton Academy this weekend - mostly been listening to the new remixes rather than the original album: like most remix albums, its a bit hit and miss, but I'm really liking Skream's remix of Open Up.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
Debaser  
#1006 Posted : 09 May 2017 13:09:22(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post
I'm really liking Skream's remix of Open Up.

And here it is. Would I trade it for the original? Nope. Would I dance to it? Yep.
Skream remixed The Chemical Brothers' Sometimes I Feel So Deserted in 2015 and he did a good job but, by the end I thought there would somehow be more to it. I think I feel the same about this.

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Ken Doherty on 10/05/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/05/2017(UTC)
Jcp7  
#1007 Posted : 17 May 2017 17:15:58(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/05/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1008 Posted : 20 May 2017 12:18:43(UTC)
Fotz

Eh, don't knock it, I used to quite like this song back in the day 2005. Not the most innovative musically but I did like the lyrics and the mood and melody.

"The way you cheat
The way you lie
The way you want me to die
Over this
Over this
Over this town"

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/qVOwgRO-tbg[/youtube]

Edited by user 20 May 2017 12:23:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 20/05/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1009 Posted : 02 June 2017 17:50:05(UTC)
Fotz

Reminds of good times May bank holiday 1991 just after Electronic's first album was released and driving up to Blackpool for the weekend with my brother and a mate and looking forward to getting pissed (Guardian readers would hate that) Think it was actually the songs off 'Electronic' i had taped off Radio 1 a few nights before and the actual album was released a few days later....Anyway, a great piss up weekend n lots of working class fun in Blackpool (sorry,chin stroking Guardian readers)
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#1010 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:32:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
10 interesting facts about the Spice Girls
1 Stop was the first Spice Girls single not to reach Number One. Stop Stopped at Number 2, putting a Stop to their run of number ones.
2. Emma was the last to join the group. She became known as Baby and in a sense was the Baby, as she was the last to join the group.
3. Two of the girls were called Melanie, or Mel for short. To avoid confusion, they used the names Mel B and Mel C, which are short forms for their surnames. C is then the third abbreviation I have used in my 10 interesting facts about the Spice Girls.
4. Geri's full name is Geraldine, but she shortened it to Geri, the short form, for short. Geri is then the fourth abbreviation I have used in my 10 interesting facts about the Spice Girls. It has nothing to do with cartoon mouse Jerry, but Geri is probably aware of the fellow.
5. In 1996, Sun readers (so it must be true) voted Geri 'favurite Spice, for having a great personality - or two of them!' This is a jocular reference to tits, which are popular with the paper's buyers. Unforunately, Geri's triumph was short-lived, as 6 months later they voted her 'most annoying Spice', with no reference to either tit. Fickle!
6. Three of the Spice Girls reformed last year as Gem: Geri, Emma and Mel. 'Gem' is then the fifth abbreviation I have used in my 10 interesting facts about the Spice Girls.
7. All the girls have a favourite colour, pet and holiday resort, just like everyone else.
8. Wannabe is the girls' best known video, but Spice Up Your Life was the most expensive, Too Much had the most guest appearances and Say You Will Be There remains most condusive to shooting one's wad over. I checked,
9. When Geri left the group in 98, they sang 'Goodbye'. Goodbye is an English expression when someone leaves a group, and discerning fans tapped a subliminal message to Geri, who left the group in 98.
10. That is the end of my 10 interesting facts about the Spice Girls. I hope you enjoyed them.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#1011 Posted : 01 July 2017 15:00:00(UTC)
Fotz

New video to The XX's I Dare You (they did the song great, live at Glastonbury last weekend) I still have my doubts overall about their latest album I See You, to me over half of it isn't very good.Certainly not as strong as their first two albums.But 2 or 3 songs on I See You are first class.The director of this video,Alasdair McLellan, certainly achieves something great with this video, a certain look and mood and vibe.I couldn't put my finger exactly on what it is or explain it but it makes an impact.How can a house seem creepy and haunted in the scorching afternoon heat and sunshine? Well the house is in Los Angeles, there's a lot of history in some of those Los Angeles houses.

Edited by user 01 July 2017 15:16:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 02/07/2017(UTC)
Coops  
#1012 Posted : 12 July 2017 03:46:11(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Not as good as the last one, but still lovely.
Not as good as the last one, but still lovely
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#1013 Posted : 13 July 2017 08:39:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

While the Beatles continue to inspire, Paul McCartney's position as solo artiste remains insecure. After repeated, objective listenings to his post-1970 output, I would - sadly - challenge it on the following grounds:
1. It does tend to overt sentimentality, an aspect Lennon surely held in check. John's barbed wit was the perfect foil to McCartney's mawkishness, but more importantly, simply through existing, John stimulated his partner to ever greater achievements. Paul himself commented, 'John threw down 'Strawberry Fields' as a kind of gauntlet, so I responded with 'Penny Lane'. Later collaborations with Elvis Costello and Jaz Coleman suggest McCartney's talent may be more suited to work in tandem.
2. It suffers from a lack of discipline. In a private letter, Ernest Hemingway wrote he needed 91 pages of mediocrity to hit that one page of masterpiece: fine, as long as said page hits the public and the rest hit the bin. Paul has a habit of - and I do so hate to use clichés, certainly in a Beatle context, but - prize quantity over quality.
3. It is total and utter fucking shit. Fuck you, Paul.
Fotzepolitic  
#1014 Posted : 14 July 2017 14:04:58(UTC)
Fotz

New stuff by Four Tet.Lovely and chilled, this.

Fotzepolitic  
#1015 Posted : 28 July 2017 15:31:22(UTC)
Fotz

Been listening to a lot of Radiohead lately.Kind of since i watched their Glastonbury 2017 set on tv last month.I loved The Bends album back in 1995, that blazing hot summer i played it to death.Fake Plastic Trees, Bones, Black Star, ... .Then OK Computer in 1997- incredible songs on that; Subterranean Homesick Alien, Exit Music For A Film, Karma Police, Let Down,No Surprises, The Tourist....Brilliant songs and an incredible album and up there with Future Sound Of London's Dead Cities album from the year before as a great 90s album. Then Kid A... hmmm never heard that album in full til recently, i just went right off em when they released that.Some good stuff on their as there is on Amnesiac but that album also i didn't listen to in full til recently but The Pyramid Song and You And Whose Army are standouts and the others i'm getting into gradually.Not a big fan overall of 2003's Hail To The Thief but like every Radiohead album there are 2 or 3 real gems (There There being one of them).I did get into In Rainbows on its release in 2007; Nude, House Of Cards, All I Need and Videotape are really really good.I didn't bother with King Of Limbs in 2011 as i was put off by Lotus Flower but i'm getting to like some of it now, Codex is a massive tune, how did they get that piano sound on that ?And finally last year's Moon Shaped Pool album- possibley my favourite Radiohead album since OK Computer in 1997.Daydreaming,Ful Stop, Identikit, The Numbers, Tinker Tailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief and Love Waits are beyond good.Radiohead transcending.Some, in fact a lot of Thom Yorke's lyrics really hit .So much of their stuff i still haven't heard , b-sides etc.Moon Shaped Pool really is magnificent once, like a lot of their stuff, you give it time. Oh but i hated and still hate Creep and never bothered with the album it was on,Pablo Honey.For me Radiohead starts with The Bends.

Never seen em live but would have loved to have got to their show in Tel Aviv the other week.I love Tel Aviv as i spent some time there in the 90s and i'm big on Radiohead at the moment.Apparently, i never knew this, Israelis kind of kick started Radiohead's career by buying Creep in their droves and making it a number 1 hit there back in 92-93.Apparently Radiohead are forever grateful to Israelis for kick starting their success and as a way of gratitude played one of their longest ever gigs at Hayarkon Park in Tel Aviv last month.Radiohead took a lot of shit for playing Israel and that's a whole other argument but i liked Thom Yorke's comments on the matter.

Daydreaming from Moon Shaped Pool

Edited by user 28 July 2017 16:35:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#1016 Posted : 05 August 2017 12:32:36(UTC)
Fotz

I've been in wonderful Devon for a few days this week, such an enchanting part of the country.I think i'd like go and live there if i could.Phone signals and Wi-Fi would be a bitch though.Water and electricity would even be hard to find in some parts.Anyway for now i'll just have to settle for visiting.I spent a lot of time driving around the beautiful hills and narrow lanes , those breathtakingly beautiful rolling hills down to sea make me want to quit it all and become a Devon country boy, as i did so was listening to a lot of Lana Del Rey, her Ultraviolence album which i'd never listened to properly and her new album Lust For Life which i like a lot of but still have mixed feelings about.I feel there's too many songs on there which don't deserve a place (Groupie Love just sucks.Oops didn't intend that pun) .I spent part of my time in Devon looking for a beach which has previously on earlier visits proved elusive to find.A secluded beach at Woody Bay.I did eventually find it but it involved a long walk down a steep zig-zagging path/road/track.And when i got there the sea was at high tide.Doh.I was nearly the only person there so it might be worth another shot at next year if and when i can find out when low tide is.Lana searched 13 Beaches on her new album and eventually found one that was empty.That's my tenuous link for the day.Thankyou.

Edited by user 05 August 2017 14:32:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ken Doherty  
#1017 Posted : 07 August 2017 05:11:21(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Been listening to Everything Now by Arcade Fire, liking it a lot more than Reflektor, this album is far more like the sort of thing I thought an album produced by James Murphy would (and should) have sounded like.
Michael Monkhouse  
#1018 Posted : 16 August 2017 05:54:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Anniversary of Elvis' death. I love Elvis cos he never let his standards drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTdsCEKvEY
ROCKET MICK on 16/08/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#1019 Posted : 25 August 2017 01:34:16(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

The four disc box set remaster of Beaucoup Fish by Underworld.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#1020 Posted : 25 August 2017 03:45:06(UTC)
Debaser

Been listening to Everything Now by Arcade Fire, liking it a lot more than Reflektor, this album is far more like the sort of thing I thought an album produced by James Murphy would (and should) have sounded like.

It's an enjoyable enough album. But for me it actually feels like they're repeating the dancey/poppy vibes of Reflector and the idea isn't as exciting the second time around. The reviews have been very mixed, with one review mentioning the lack of substance. I tend to agree. The only song that really grabs me by the emotions is "We Don't Deserve Love", whilst the two "infinite content" tracks - basically one song in two different styles - seem to sit as the centre-piece of the album, but they feel like a bonus track 'skit' to me. Electric Blue would probably make Tom Tom Club proud, but I'm glad Regine doesn't do lead vox on more tracks; her helium voice is an acquired taste. Creature Comforts is pretty good though; probably the best of the four (four!) singles they released prior to putting the album out. Despite my lukewarm comments, it's probably still one of the more notable albums of 2017.

I was hoping they would do a two-disc version like with the previous two albums. The rare stuff on disc 2 interests me. I haven't checked meticulously but I suspect most of the tracks on discs 3 & 4 were already available. I saw an "ask me anything" interview with Karl in the Guardian about a year ago and he was asked what his favourite remix of Underworld music was. He couldn't think of any at the time. Which shows the high regard that Karl has for them! They're happy to sell us two discs worth of those old Futureshock and Dave Angel remixes though, as part of a 4 disc package that costs about 55 quid. I just want disc 2. I'll pay a tenner for it!

ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#1021 Posted : 25 August 2017 08:09:55(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

It's an enjoyable enough album. But for me it actually feels like they're repeating the dancey/poppy vibes of Reflector and the idea isn't as exciting the second time around. The reviews have been very mixed, with one review mentioning the lack of substance. I tend to agree. The only song that really grabs me by the emotions is "We Don't Deserve Love", whilst the two "infinite content" tracks - basically one song in two different styles - seem to sit as the centre-piece of the album, but they feel like a bonus track 'skit' to me. Electric Blue would probably make Tom Tom Club proud, but I'm glad Regine doesn't do lead vox on more tracks; her helium voice is an acquired taste. Creature Comforts is pretty good though; probably the best of the four (four!) singles they released prior to putting the album out. Despite my lukewarm comments, it's probably still one of the more notable albums of 2017.

I was hoping they would do a two-disc version like with the previous two albums. The rare stuff on disc 2 interests me. I haven't checked meticulously but I suspect most of the tracks on discs 3 & 4 were already available. I saw an "ask me anything" interview with Karl in the Guardian about a year ago and he was asked what his favourite remix of Underworld music was. He couldn't think of any at the time. Which shows the high regard that Karl has for them! They're happy to sell us two discs worth of those old Futureshock and Dave Angel remixes though, as part of a 4 disc package that costs about 55 quid. I just want disc 2. I'll pay a tenner for it!

I got the iTunes version - the CD version is £55, iTunes with the same tracks costs £20 (I did the same with Second Toughest In The Infants re-release as well). £55 is just being greedy for 4 cds and a hardback book that will only get looked at once or twice. (I'm presuming these are taking the same format as the Dubnobass boxset and there is something else apart from the CDs for that price).

Agree that they could have put something else in there apart from the remixes, while I like the remixes Underworld have done for other people (maybe time for a boxset of those?), I can't think of any that somebody else has done for Underworld that I could actually say was good.

ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#1022 Posted : 25 August 2017 12:56:57(UTC)
Debaser

Agree that they could have put something else in there apart from the remixes, while I like the remixes Underworld have done for other people (maybe time for a boxset of those?), I can't think of any that somebody else has done for Underworld that I could actually say was good.

At the risk of contradicting myself here, one of the few remixes of Underworld by someone else that I particularly like is a Beaucoup Fish track: Fatboy Slim's remix of King of Snake. I like the way he isolates the Japanese spoken vocal and then turns it into a rhythmic intro, then he tries (and perhaps succeeds) to outdo Born Slippy in terms of pure banging beats. It doesn't really work on laptop speakers but when I play this on my stereo I can't sit still. In a good way.

Fotzepolitic  
#1023 Posted : 26 August 2017 15:36:08(UTC)
Fotz

Heard a song on the radio the other morning and thought it was Keane.It was that bland.Turned out it was a new Arcade Fire song! Sorry,

Odd evening.Imelda May was supposed to play this evening at Rugby School which is just 10 minutes walk from my house.But she blew her fans out (i'm not a big fan but any even slightly major league artist playing a gig in Rugby is big news) for £200,000 to fly to Las Vegas to sing the Irish national anthem before the Floyd Mayweather. vs Conor Mcgregor fight tonight/tomorrow morning 5am depending on what part of thee world you live but i'll be fast asleep either way .I can see her point, gaining international acclaim and career super fast track .There's a few serioulsy pissed off Imelda May fans that booked hotels and shit.So anyway we ended up getting into the gig for £10 instead of the £45 they would have charged if Imelda May was appearing.So we ended up watching Cara Dillon sing her Irish folk stuff.She was great and endearing and funny even if the music wasn't entirely my thing.

Edited by user 26 August 2017 15:41:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#1024 Posted : 26 August 2017 17:17:59(UTC)
Fotz

Anyway, on to more relevant and serious matters; The KLF returned after their promised 23 years at 23 seconds (or 23 minutes?) past midnight last Wednesday the 23rd August.No new music but who cares as long as they're taking the piss out of the media.Or us.Who knows but it's all good fun.

"Pulled up to rest, let the engine cool awhile.
Open the beans, gather wood for the fire.
I hum this tune, to all the girls I've known.
Should I care, about the chances I've blown?

Build a fire, they're gonna build a fire
They're gonna build a fire
They're gonna build a fire

When daylight breaks, I'll be down that road.
Rockman 'an me, with a lighter load.
We'll stop for lunch, in some taco bar.
Lee Marvin on the jukebox, 'Wanderin Star'.

Build a fire, they're gonna build a fire"

Edited by user 26 August 2017 17:24:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ken Doherty  
#1025 Posted : 30 August 2017 02:07:48(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Villains by Queens Of The Stone Age.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2017(UTC)