logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jozek  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2017 15:44:42(UTC)
Jozek

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gWoGCQJDeI

Never seen this before, thought I'd post here.

Sorry if it's been posted in another thread
thanks 3 users thanked Jozek for this useful post.
perspexorange on 03/08/2017(UTC), Deceiver on 05/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2017 00:20:18(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
A rare opportunity to hear Blue Monday. Is that a new song?
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
79order on 03/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
50 Pound Note  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2017 07:56:23(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
A rare opportunity to hear Blue Monday. Is that a new song?

Jesus Christ, Michael - what is your problem? Decided to become the resident troll of these boards?

*sigh* I guess it just wouldn't be an internet forum without someone who wants to shit all over everything.
thanks 2 users thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
Jozek on 04/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2017 14:31:02(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
This version of the 'Countdown' appearance is a bit of an oddity.

Back in 1983, an interview with the band and a performance of BM was broadcast on 'Countdown' / 'Veronica's Countdown'. However, the clip you linked to isn't this 'broadcast' version.
Instead, this one appears to be an alternate take of both the performance and the interview. Same interviewer, almost the same questions asked, similar but slightly different witty responses from Steve etc. The BM performance might be the same actual performance but, IIRC, the camera editing is different.

Check YouTube for the other version if you're interested; its on there but not in as good a quality, sadly.

Not sure why there's two versions. Even if they did do multiple takes, I'm not sure why the channel would've now uploaded this alternate take. Surely they'd use the broadcast version. All a little odd.

Still a great (fun) interview. Thanks for posting.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Jozek on 04/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Jozek  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2017 00:43:31(UTC)
Jozek

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
This version of the 'Countdown' appearance is a bit of an oddity.

Back in 1983, an interview with the band and a performance of BM was broadcast on 'Countdown' / 'Veronica's Countdown'. However, the clip you linked to isn't this 'broadcast' version.
Instead, this one appears to be an alternate take of both the performance and the interview. Same interviewer, almost the same questions asked, similar but slightly different witty responses from Steve etc. The BM performance might be the same actual performance but, IIRC, the camera editing is different.

Check YouTube for the other version if you're interested; its on there but not in as good a quality, sadly.

Not sure why there's two versions. Even if they did do multiple takes, I'm not sure why the channel would've now uploaded this alternate take. Surely they'd use the broadcast version. All a little odd.

Still a great (fun) interview. Thanks for posting.

I found it by accident, was looking for the TOTP's performance to show my nephew. I like this as NO looked quite relaxed (except Hooky) before they played and joking round.

Thanks for the information will take a look later.

I posted it here as I thought some might be interested in it.

If you go to the "owners" page there are some good stuff on there, all mostly out-takes.
thanks 2 users thanked Jozek for this useful post.
perspexorange on 04/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:21:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I saw this years ago (with subtitles) on a dodgy 5-disc 'set' of NO TV appearances. They have every right to take the piss out of the presenter as I'm sure their grasp of Dutch far outstrips his English. Steve is a silly little arse.
As you probably know, they didn't play BM too much in the 80s cos they didn't want to be considered the band that did BM and nowt else (actually...). It's strange how some bands get lumped with one track and it's rarely the best. Should I Stay... is the Clash's only number one but possibly their limpest track ever, and Imagine isn't really typical of Lennon (recent evidence suggests Yoko had a lot to do with it, but Lennon didn't want to share credits. Mature fellow.) That Clash number always makes me think of 14-year-olds in their first band at school, 'Right, this is an old Clash song and it's Should I fucking Stay or Should I fucking Go.' Makes Green Day sound like Led Zeppelin.

Edited by user 04 August 2017 01:26:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange on 04/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Johnny James  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:24:05(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
This version of the 'Countdown' appearance is a bit of an oddity. Not sure why there's two versions. Even if they did do multiple takes, I'm not sure why the channel would've now uploaded this alternate take. Surely they'd use the broadcast version. All a little odd.

They did three Blue Monday takes and two of Confusion, plus a couple of goes at an interview. The US licensees bought the rights to all this stuff but are probably unaware what was actually used back in 1983, hence a rare glimpse into the outtakes.

thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Jozek on 04/08/2017(UTC), perspexorange on 04/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2017 03:47:17(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
This version of the 'Countdown' appearance is a bit of an oddity. Not sure why there's two versions. Even if they did do multiple takes, I'm not sure why the channel would've now uploaded this alternate take. Surely they'd use the broadcast version. All a little odd.

They did three Blue Monday takes and two of Confusion, plus a couple of goes at an interview. The US licensees bought the rights to all this stuff but are probably unaware what was actually used back in 1983, hence a rare glimpse into the outtakes.

Really? Wow!
Would love to see the other footage. Especially Confusion.
Is it out there on the 'net?
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the details of this? Were you involved somehow?

Really cool information. Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Johnny James  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2017 04:21:17(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

Really? Wow!
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the details of this? Were you involved somehow?

You can search the Reelin' In The Years database: http://reelinintheyears.com/

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2017 07:15:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Really? Wow!

You can search the Reelin' In The Years database: http://reelinintheyears.com/

Thanks.
Just searched their database and it does mention they did Confusion. Never knew that. Hooky's book only lists that they appeared on the show, not the tracks performed. Can only assume that they performed both tracks but they only broadcast Blue Monday.

Looking at the shows that they have footage of, I've matched these to known broadcasts on the dates provided and they appear to be:

Celebration, June 1981 (Ceremony, Chosen Time, Denial, Dreams Never End, ICB, Truth)
Countdown, May 1983 (Blue Monday x3, Confusion x2, 6 mins of interviews)
The Tube, March 1986 (Broken Promise, State Of The Nation)
Countdown (presumably), May 1993 (Regret x2)
???, 13/05/05 (Jetstream)

The date for the last one looks like the Jonathan Ross programme, but knowing the BBC, it seems unlikely that ReelinInTheYears would have access to this footage. Based on the other programmes being commercial TV, it seems likely that this one is the appearance on either CD:UK or Popworld which were both broadcast very close to the Ross appearance.

Interesting, anyway. Would be nice if they released all of this.

Fotzepolitic  
#11 Posted : 04 August 2017 12:50:01(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
All a bit bizarre but i did notice Hooky's "Tell 'im yer from Macclesfield, Steve" was missing from this version.

Would be good to see the Confusion clip one day.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 05/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#12 Posted : 05 August 2017 08:24:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Apologies, this was the interview I saw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gdeAaZevts - followed by BM. As I said, I remember thinking how arse they were to take the mick out of the presenter when their own Dutch must've been far fabber than his English... Ain't we Brits abroad AWESOME? Guy makes an effort to communicate in your language, remains as polite and friendly as possible, not only lets you publicise your '''''work''''' but pays you for it - and you take the piss. Rock 'n' roll, eh? Steve is an embarrassment - 'Yeah, yer can only get one note out of that, 'sall you can get out of it, just one note, that's all yer can get out of it, just one note, yer can only get one note out oif it, just one note.' The Dutch guy is more articulate than him.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#13 Posted : 05 August 2017 09:30:36(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
These guys are using all antiquated equipment - I use mostly virtual instruments...
thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
Debaser  
#14 Posted : 05 August 2017 11:04:27(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Deceiver Go to Quoted Post
These guys are using all antiquated equipment - I use mostly virtual instruments...

It's almost as though they're from the 80's!!

Got a soundcloud/YT link to your stuff?
Maybe there should be a "share your music" thread for people on here who make their own music (and not just Fruity Loops cover versions).
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Deceiver on 06/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Deceiver  
#15 Posted : 05 August 2017 13:47:04(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

It's almost as though they're from the 80's!!

Got a soundcloud/YT link to your stuff?
Maybe there should be a "share your music" thread for people on here who make their own music (and not just Fruity Loops cover versions).

Thank you for your interest, Debaser. I expect the typical reaction on a forum would be, "Fuck off, mate, no-one's interested in your shit!" Sadly, I have nothing to show yet. Even though I've written quite a few songs in my time, they mostly languish on tape cassettes from the 1990s. I'm kind of doing a *Hooky* by going through all my songs - but instead of playing the tracks live - I'm re-recording them. I'm currently on the first wave. I certainly hope these will be finished by the end of the year at the very latest - hold me to it!!

Yes, I think we should have NO fans own music forum. Do you record your own stuff?

thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/08/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#16 Posted : 26 August 2019 04:16:05(UTC)
perspexorange

OK - I think I've actually managed to find a copy of the version of 'Confusion' they did.

Sadly it's:

a) audio only;
b) fairly poor quality; and
c) sounds like a less than stellar performance (although this just might be the quality of the file).

It was labelled as 'VOO Radio Session' and has an intro and outro by someone in (presumably) Dutch. By the sound of the introduction, it does seem more like it was on the radio than TV. I think 'VOO' is the company that broadcast 'Countdown' (VOO is apparently a Dutch abbreviation for Veronica Broadcasting Organisation).

So, it seems likely that the 'TV' session was also repeated on the radio. Or, maybe, the 'Confusion' TV footage wasn't shown, but was, instead, broadcast on the radio only.

Anyone know for sure?

If anyone wants to hear it, or if anyone speaks Dutch and wants to translate the opening and closing intros, I've uploaded it here:

https://www.mediafire.co...%28Confusion%29.mp3/file
ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#17 Posted : 26 August 2019 05:37:37(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)

OK - I think I've actually managed to find a copy of the version of 'Confusion' they did.

Sadly it's:

a) audio only;
b) fairly poor quality; and
c) sounds like a less than stellar performance (although this just might be the quality of the file).

It was labelled as 'VOO Radio Session' and has an intro and outro by someone in (presumably) Dutch. By the sound of the introduction, it does seem more like it was on the radio than TV. I think 'VOO' is the company that broadcast 'Countdown' (VOO is apparently a Dutch abbreviation for Veronica Broadcasting Organisation).

So, it seems likely that the 'TV' session was also repeated on the radio. Or, maybe, the 'Confusion' TV footage wasn't shown, but was, instead, broadcast on the radio only.

Anyone know for sure?

If anyone wants to hear it, or if anyone speaks Dutch and wants to translate the opening and closing intros, I've uploaded it here:

https://www.mediafire.co...%28Confusion%29.mp3/file

Ok, thanks for this.Where did you find it?

Just downloaded and listened.

Difficult to say for sure if it's a bad performance of the song as the quality of the audio is so bad.The performance is maybe not quite as bad as it seems, it just appears that way because of the poor audio.The recording seems to play at the wrong speed in places, like it's slowed down, so that doesn't help matters either.Bernard sounds really miserable but again maybe it just sounds that way because of the poor audio quality.

But anyway, thanks for finding and posting.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 26 August 2019 08:12:51(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

Ok, thanks for this.Where did you find it?

Just downloaded and listened.

Difficult to say for sure if it's a bad performance of the song as the quality of the audio is so bad.The performance is maybe not quite as bad as it seems, it just appears that way because of the poor audio.The recording seems to play at the wrong speed in places, like it's slowed down, so that doesn't help matters either.Bernard sounds really miserable but again maybe it just sounds that way because of the poor audio quality.

But anyway, thanks for finding and posting.

I got it from another fan who I got talking to on one of the Facebook groups a while back, along with some other items.

I seem to remember that I'd seen it listed on trading lists years ago (when I used to trade tapes back in the 90s) as an 'audio only' item. So it's presumably been in collecting circles for some time now. I've just never had a copy before.

You're probably right re it just being a poor quality tape rather than the performance.

Hopefully the video footage appears on the PC&L boxset. Fingers crossed. I wonder how long it'll be until we get a track listing for this set.