logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Coops  
#26 Posted : 13 October 2016 07:25:19(UTC)
Coops

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Deceiver Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a great album, needs more Hooky. As someone pointed out on one of these pages if you think of the direction of the albums being mostly down to Bernard there's a sort of sense in going from Technique to Electronic and then from Republic to Raise The Pressure, followed by Twisted Tenderness to Get Ready.

I don't recall who first pointed that out but I like it.

It was me who said that. Thank you; recognition at last! And thanks for not plagiarising me...

Don't thank me, it just means you're the one who gets to argue with anybody who disagrees with us.

Oh, look it's started already Laugh
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
The Shadow  
#27 Posted : 13 October 2016 10:24:02(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)

3.Electronic was kind of the greatest album ever made as it soundtracked one of the greatest periods of time in my life in early summer 1991.So for that reason yes it was or is one of the greatest albums ever made.Though i still defend House Of Love's Butterfly/Fontana album as THE greatest album ever made.

91 was great and for that I will always hold the first Electronic album close to my heart. Still play it a lot

Surely House of love 1st album on creation was far better than the butterfly one. Although I,ve always liked In A Room
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#28 Posted : 13 October 2016 10:25:52(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Republic - great first side an average at best 2nd side.

Really enjoying Spooky at the moment from that album, great chorus
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
homielang  
#29 Posted : 14 October 2016 11:53:07(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
To be honest, it is my least favorite album of the classic New Order line-up. Theres a few great songs and then the rest is meh
thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
is it bro  
#30 Posted : 14 October 2016 14:08:29(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
It's down there with Brotherhood for me. The only difference is the indifferent songs are more polished.

But I do love Everyone Everywhere, Times Change and Special.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
truefaith1.0  
#31 Posted : 18 October 2016 06:32:59(UTC)
truefaith1.0

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Republic does appear to be NO's marmite album. You either love it or hate.

Well, I love it. Granted it isn't their greatest album by some way but it has some nice little little quirks.

1. Hooky's base is definitely there but in a subtle kind of way. He isn't dominating the sound as on many previous albums but his bass has a sort of mellow, underlying sound that works well on many of the songs. I am listening to the album as I write this and he plays some great stuff on the album.

2. Barney's quirky lyrics abound and from time to time fall into brilliance.

3. Every Everywhere is in my all-time top-5 NO songs.

4. I think the album version of Ruined in a Day is the worst song on the album but then you listen to the K-Klass remix and you get your mind blown.

5. Liar, Young Offender and Special are pretty good and Spooky is brilliant (original and remixed).

6. Plenty of female harmonies on the album and they are something different for NO. Even made a come-back on Music Complete.

7. Regret is a really strong track. I liked World even more.

Having liked their 80's hits and loved True Faith, this was the first NO album I purchased. From listening to it, I worked backwards and bought all their old albums. Can you imagine what it was like to suddenly realise New Order's brilliance and discover that you now had another 6 albums to listen too? I also bought Electronic after listening to Republic.

For me, Republic has led to a love for New Order's music, the discovery of Joy Division and Electronic and the incredible experience of seeing the band play live. Pogo-ing to the chorus of True Faith with thousands of others in the rain at Electric Picnic in 2006 was unforgettable. Republic is the starting point of my New Order experience and I'm sure it turned others onto the band too.

Probably not loved by the band (Steve has said as much) or the hardcore fans of the day but it is still great!

TF1.0
thanks 3 users thanked truefaith1.0 for this useful post.
M1 on 18/10/2016(UTC), Michael Monkhouse on 19/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#32 Posted : 18 October 2016 08:57:38(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

I love Regret, liked Ruined In A Day (well I did when Republic came out, haven't listened to it in ages), and preferred the Oakenfold remix of World and the Fluke remix of Spooky to the album versions, otherwise I can't honestly say that I think Republic is all that, the overall production just seems bland following the Factory albums and everything apart from Regret too forgettable.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#33 Posted : 19 October 2016 01:18:10(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: truefaith1.0 Go to Quoted Post
Republic does appear to be NO's marmite album. You either love it or hate.

Well, I love it. Granted it isn't their greatest album by some way but it has some nice little little quirks.

1. Hooky's base is definitely there but in a subtle kind of way. He isn't dominating the sound as on many previous albums but his bass has a sort of mellow, underlying sound that works well on many of the songs. I am listening to the album as I write this and he plays some great stuff on the album.

2. Barney's quirky lyrics abound and from time to time fall into brilliance.

3. Every Everywhere is in my all-time top-5 NO songs.

4. I think the album version of Ruined in a Day is the worst song on the album but then you listen to the K-Klass remix and you get your mind blown.

5. Liar, Young Offender and Special are pretty good and Spooky is brilliant (original and remixed).

6. Plenty of female harmonies on the album and they are something different for NO. Even made a come-back on Music Complete.

7. Regret is a really strong track. I liked World even more.

Having liked their 80's hits and loved True Faith, this was the first NO album I purchased. From listening to it, I worked backwards and bought all their old albums. Can you imagine what it was like to suddenly realise New Order's brilliance and discover that you now had another 6 albums to listen too? I also bought Electronic after listening to Republic.

For me, Republic has led to a love for New Order's music, the discovery of Joy Division and Electronic and the incredible experience of seeing the band play live. Pogo-ing to the chorus of True Faith with thousands of others in the rain at Electric Picnic in 2006 was unforgettable. Republic is the starting point of my New Order experience and I'm sure it turned others onto the band too.

Probably not loved by the band (Steve has said as much) or the hardcore fans of the day but it is still great!

TF1.0

The worst thing about teaching is ocasionally you get something and don't agree with a fucking word but it's so beautifully argued you have to give it 10 / 10. You brute.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), truefaith1.0 on 22/10/2016(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#34 Posted : 19 October 2016 06:53:38(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Sadly the Lego new order film has not been written yet , nor the new order star wars remakes, , nor neworder lord of the rings remakesHopefully, New Order ,the great pop band, will find the lego characterizations silly, but funny , with warmth and love oozing from every plastic pore. Yes , at 3 am , mountain time ( between central and pacific), but in alignment with Pacific time, just out of daylight savings time, on the Utah border, a Gila monster blew some special smoke flavors into my teepee. As for the reality of Lego new order - I wish more film makers would use new order songs , especially wes anderson, and I would love to see more films like snatch, the robt. ,Downey sherlocks and new order in more films, and hooray for republic
We're like kestrels
thanks 2 users thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Andy on 20/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#35 Posted : 19 October 2016 08:55:55(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Yes , at 3 am ... a Gila monster blew some special smoke flavors into my teepee.

Say no more. Wink

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy on 20/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
komakino  
#36 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:03:52(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Republic is the New order album for people that bought their music from the Britannica Music Club . A kind of MOR New order for people who are very easily pleased.

Personally I haven't listened to it for years and have no enthusiasm to listen to it any time soon. It's not all bad and 'Side One' holds up fairly well, but there is a lot wrong with it.

Production was bland and there was no attempt to break new ground. Stephen Hague's production always sound like a sea of fog and where this album should of been bold and dynamic, it was lacklustre. Neworder should of been ambitious, but they bottled it. Did they ever recover...?

Of course there were under pressure to come up with a golden goose what would save Factory, but Wilson has already heard negative things about the album (as it then stood) before Factory's demise and it sounds forced and compromised. The excellent K-Klass remix of 'Ruined In a Day' gives you some idea what the band should really been doing with their sound (They mimed to this mix on TOTP, which showed nod to it)

New Order were always better producing albums themselves and Republic is polished glass. It sold though, so kept them in Pernod for a few more months. Happy

Edited by user 24 October 2016 08:05:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/10/2016(UTC), Andy on 24/10/2016(UTC)
isamu  
#37 Posted : 17 March 2017 17:58:11(UTC)
isamu

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Their best album IMHO. Opinions are like Skippy Chutes. Everyone has one.
thanks 1 user thanked isamu for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/03/2017(UTC)
daftpunk  
#38 Posted : 17 March 2017 22:03:30(UTC)
daftpunk

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Totally agree. Their best album. Can't wait for the remaster.
thanks 1 user thanked daftpunk for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#39 Posted : 18 March 2017 03:54:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Sadly the Lego new order film has not been written yet , nor the new order star wars remakes, , nor neworder lord of the rings remakes

Yeah, I was looking forward to those. Still...
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Ben  
#40 Posted : 21 March 2017 08:43:23(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daftpunk Go to Quoted Post
Totally agree. Their best album. Can't wait for the remaster.

It was remastered in 2015. Available as digital download only (at least on iTunes). It's a good remaster with mush improved sound definition.
thanks 1 user thanked Ben for this useful post.
Andy  
#41 Posted : 21 March 2017 17:52:18(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
I remember Republic as being great. A great disappointment.

Regret promised so much...
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/03/2017(UTC), Rorschach on 23/03/2017(UTC)
Mike C.  
#42 Posted : 22 March 2017 17:15:00(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Skip iTunes and go for HD versions which are available on a number of websites.

Edited by user 25 March 2017 17:40:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/03/2017(UTC)
NotAMod  
#43 Posted : 23 March 2017 08:30:19(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
For me, Liar and Chemical are the weakest tracks on the album by a country mile. Complete filler. The rest is pretty good, even flirting with brilliance on occasion - well Regret at least - but most tracks could possibly have benefited from a slightly more adventurous mix. For instance, I'd swap Spooky with Fluke's Minimix and perhaps they could have given K-Klass a production credit for simply using 'Reunited In A Day' as the album version.

The house pianos have dated sections of the album a bit but mind you they made a reappearance throughout most of Electronic (Feel Every Beat, Until The End Of Time) and even Music Complete (Tutti, High Line...) so that keyboard style is obviously one of Barney's standbys.

Republic is much maligned and under-appreciated but there are flashes of greatness in there which make it worth owning. I'd like to see a fitting Deluxe Edition encompassing the best remixes, Vicious Circle and perhaps live performance or two. It's surely possible and hopefully will be included in the the rumoured slew of upcoming reissues/box-set.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC)
Rorschach  
#44 Posted : 24 March 2017 04:16:08(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Many of the tracks on Republic get put on my Neworder playlists.

Regret is the standout and is Special very, very good. The Perfecto mix of World and K-Klass mix of RIAD are both quality tracks & improve on the decent but not great album versions. I have a soft spot for Spooky (Stadium mix) & Avalanche too.

But the key point is that I've never felt the temptation to stick the CD in the car and listen to the whole album right through - and I've even done that with Movement a few times, my least favourite Neworder album.

Edited by user 24 March 2017 04:18:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#45 Posted : 24 March 2017 06:17:28(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
I think it is a GREAT album in full from start to finish, I remember that is one of the first cd's that I bought after hearing the song Regret on the NYC radio station Z100. I have great memories of that cd because my parents dove from NYC to Florida on route 1 south and I remember listening to it.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC), Rorschach on 25/03/2017(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#46 Posted : 28 March 2017 04:09:53(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
For an album that starts with Regret (one of my favourite New Order songs) - it completely peters out after Everyone Everywhere. The second side is really really weak, the songs seem one-paced, formulaic and I couldn't sing you a single one of them, or tell you the names of them if I heard them on the radio

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/03/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#47 Posted : 07 April 2017 07:34:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
I'd like to see a fitting Deluxe Edition encompassing the best remixes, Vicious Circle and perhaps live performance or two. It's surely possible and hopefully will be included in the the rumoured slew of upcoming reissues/box-set.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
World Perfecto and Spooky Stadium are light years ahead of the originals, but this probably has more to do with suss remixers than dud bands.
ROCKET MICK on 07/04/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#48 Posted : 08 April 2017 11:45:42(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
I sometimes used to think and still think Republic was staid and non ground breaking like a lot of music and culture around 1992-1993.I just remember that time 1992/1993 as quite static culture and music wise. Things picked up again 1994-1997 with releases from the likes of Future Sound Of London (Lifeforms in 1994 and Dead Cities in 1996), Orbital (Snivilization in 1994 and Insides in 1996) , Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman in 1994 and Chemical Brothers' Exit Planet Dust in 1994 (1995?) and Dig Your Own Hole in 1997.Spritualized released Ladies & Gents We're Floating In Space in 1997.And so on and so on... oh and the likes of Portishead coming to the fore in the mid 90s.Unfortunately in the mid 90s we also had to suffer the dross of Blur and/or /vs Oasis but apart from that dreadful "Britpop" lot there was some great music 1994-1997.Republic came before all that and was systemic of a sag in music in the early 90s (bar Massive Attack's Blue Lines album in 1991 and House Of Love's Butterfly album in 1990) When i think of Republic i think of that seemingly, on the whole, uncreative era of music in the early 90s.

Thankyou

*drops mic, walks off*

Edited by user 08 April 2017 11:59:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#49 Posted : 09 April 2017 00:04:29(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

You forgot the Spice Girls.
1996 was an awesome year for mucous. Suede's most accessible album to date, Oasis go ballistic, the Blur hype finally gets put in perspective, first full lengther from a New Orderer in three years (even though it's shite), the Pistols pull off the unlikeliest reunion ever, the Beatles' mature years get properly ANTHOLOGIsed, and the Spice Girls bring suss and sass back to the charts after dreary years of Radiocrud etc. I bet you never thought I'd say anything positive.
People ask why I'm always criticising Trump and jerking off to the Spice Girls. Well I tried it the other way round and it just wasn't the same.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#50 Posted : 11 April 2017 13:28:40(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
You forgot the Spice Girls.

You're right, i did indeed forget them.And i also forgot Steps.Lisa Scott Lee was and still is my favourite.Cute as a bee.Faye was always pretty racey too.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/04/2017(UTC)