logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dennis Remmer  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2017 04:45:49(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
I think its fair to say that a large % of Order fans also have some inclinations to Depeche Mode. For me nothing beats their Masses / Violator / Devotion trilogy of LPs, and although post-Wilder there have been some top quality tunes, overall to me there have been diminishing returns album on album. I'm curious to hear from fellow NOOLers on their impressions of Mode's latest. I'll share mine...

I got the Spirit 2CD edition yesterday, and by & large am completely underwhelmed.

I have to say the dour tone of this and the last few albums is wearing thin, and the band can't seem to break away from a modus operandi that's now 20 years old: abrasive electronic with an emphasis on distorted tone and texture rather than melody and hooks. Depeche at their best = Melody.

The artwork is yet more of the same from a seemingly bored Anton Corbijn; grey and lifeless with yet another bandname 'logo' and photos of them all looking miserable and gaunt in a staged setting, holding some sort of prop (in this case sledgehammers and - slightly ridiculously - chopper motorcycles). There are a couple of exceptions, the back sleeve photo is good and one of the photos inside with them standing in front a red backdrop is good, otherwise I'm over their 'look' - particularly Fletch. FFS he hasn't contributed in a meaningful way for 30 years and has kept the same sourpuss expression throughout that time. What I wouldn't give for Wilder's return.

Contrast this with New Order and Music Complete. Chalk and cheese, and not just because I'm biased.

So - the songs... lyrically there's a consistent we're fucked message throughout, which I suppose is timely... but the whole album? Best tracks (which I'd rate no higher than 7 or 8/10) for me are Scum (mainly for the 'Pull The Trigger' lines and chords), Cover Me (mainly for the instrumental Blade Runner-esque outro) and No More (some nice synth ambience in and around the verses). Of the Gore-sung tracks the last one Fail is the least worst (mainly for the synth work in the breaks and ending). The 'Revolution single is OK too I suppose but its no Policy of Truth, In Your Room, or Never Let Me Down.

Most of the rest is forgettable dirge. Sleep

WTF? Is it the producers? Answers on a postcard please... or here.
thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
79order on 22/03/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/03/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2017 12:29:39(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
OK i'll bite

Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
I think its fair to say that a large % of Order fans also have some inclinations to Depeche Mode. .

Um, none of it really matters these days but once upon a time long ago, British New Order fans would have taken a fair bit of offence at that sentence! Much as i admire your Ceremony to Superheated blog and your other New Order projects Dennis, i was a bit stunned and flabbergasted by that sentence.I think American New Order fans for example are also fans of Depeche Mode but us Brits NO fans i'd hazard a fairly confident guess do not rate Depeche Mode.But as i said, it doesn't really matter in this day and age.There's more pressing things going on in the world.

Depeche Mode did write a good catchy tune in their early days i'm pained to admit but they were always a bit bloody annoying with their crap clothes and haircuts.Then they tried to go all serious and gloomy and these days they are just plain dull and dismal.Was listening to 6Music ond the drive home form work and they played a track called Poor Man off Depeche Mode's new album and i found it bloody awful.It ruined an otherwise nice drive home on a sunny afternoon.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 24/03/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2017 00:51:08(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
Here in Oz in our remoteness we're probably less militant about such divisional lines and weren't party to all their home county issues, and yes we probably share the US and European tolerance and occasional enjoyment (historically anyway) of DM.

I rate their 88-93 period but the rest... Dead

thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC), Fotz on 25/03/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2017 04:22:50(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)
I've always liked both New Order and Depeche Mode (at one stage in the early `1990s, round the time of Violator and SOFAD, I might have even said the Mode were my favourite band) but I was also distinctly underwhelmed by Spirit. The songs all sound very much the same, generic stadium electro-rock and the song writing has a general air of 'will this do?' about it - just because you haven't brought out an album for four years, doesn't mean you HAVE to bring out an album. This is the first DM tour in nearly 20 years I won't be going to (I have already booked to see Kraftwerk in Dublin at the time of the Olympic Stadium show), don't think I'll be missing much by the sound of this.
thanks 2 users thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 25/03/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2017 14:53:24(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Here in Oz in our remoteness we're probably less militant about such divisional lines and weren't party to all their home county issues, and yes we probably share the US and European tolerance and occasional enjoyment (historically anyway) of DM.

I rate their 88-93 period but the rest... Dead

Well...yeahh.Back in the 80s in the UK and before there was a lot of tribal rivalry between bands' fans. That's just the way it was back then with us stoopid Brits.New Order fans hated U2 and even The Smiths to a certain extent.But you just don't get that kind of thing anymore and probably for a reason.Times change.

I do fondly though remember reading some journalist once writing about the difference between New Order and Depeche Mode and he or she said "Depeche Mode just don't have the cheeky spunk of New Order" .I'm not sure i would have chosen those exact words but i totally could see and agree where he/she was, um, coming from if you pardon the unintended pun.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 25/03/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/03/2017(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2017 05:39:14(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
They have been going downhill since the last 4 albums, just absolute crap music, with all this talent they have been just making awful depressing low grade albums with all of their talent they can make great music, the only single i liked from their last 4 albums was PRECIOUS which was good but the rest has been BAD, at least New Order still makes great fresh sounding music that still i can I listen and Enjoy.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/04/2017(UTC)
Coops  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2017 03:58:41(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)

I have to say the dour tone of this and the last few albums is wearing thin, and the band can't seem to break away from a modus operandi that's now 20 years old: abrasive electronic with an emphasis on distorted tone and texture rather than melody and hooks. Depeche at their best = Melody. .

I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about post-Wilder Depeche Mode. The lad fucked off and took the all the tunes with him. I jest, of course, as his solo work is absolute bobbins.

I've felt for some time that every album released since and including 1997s Ultra is pretty interchangeable. There's never any development, nothing new and whilst I've bought them (fool me once, shame on you, fool me with every bastard album release then I guess that makes me some sort of completist addict) each album is a real slog to get through, a real chore. All of which obviously proves that I simply don't like Depeche Mode anymore even though thousands of people clearly still do. So I'll give them up, no more Depeche Mode. That's it. I'm clean, the cleanest I've been. But like the abusive partner who treats me like shit but then buys me something nice to make up for it I hear 'Cover Me' and before I know what's happened I've bought Spirit, complete with superflous and generally a bit wanky remix EP.

That's me done though.

Well.

Ask me again in four years time.
thanks 2 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 01/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#8 Posted : 12 July 2017 07:41:09(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

I've booked a standing ticket for the O2 show in November, mainly out of nostalgia for the 80s and 90s Mode rather than anything from the last 10 years or so (was quoted £140 for a seat in the block at the side of the stage, they can bugger off at that price) : things went downhill when they added a drummer to the luve set-up, stuff that was recording using drum machines and loops just sounds stodgy when you get a pub grade drummer trying to copy it (apparently Public Enemy use a live band these days rather than Terminator X, I don't want to hear a pub rock versions Rebel Without A Pause and Bring The Noise)
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
NotAMod  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2017 03:27:32(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
I find that these days DM come across as a board of directors locked into a seemingly endless and meticulously planned album/stadium tour cycle. They are basically the electro Rolling Stones topping up their pensions. Not that there is anything wrong with making money but it's fairly predictable watching DM Ltd. crank into life every 3 years like clockwork with almost identical results each time. They don't even look particularly happy on-stage or maybe that's just my perception (or a part of the act). I basically un-liked them on Facebook recently because their "DM fan takeover" updates were overrunning my news feed which was annoying. Even when I told FB I wanted to see less of them it didn't seem to make a difference and so I simply un-liked the page.

The latest album - which I paid for - I found to be really hard work and a bit of a grinding dirge. Even the "Revolution" single came across as bit half-baked... the Ewan Pearson Remix salvaged it somewhat. At this rate, I don't think I'll be bothering with the next LP. The last album of theirs I liked was "Sounds Of The Universe" from bizarrely almost 10 years ago now (well 8). The recent LPs all tend to just merge together as the same old (Delta Machine passed me by) and I agree with some of the comments above that they've not really moved their sound on even slightly in what seems like forever.

The early stuff is obviously great. I also have a soft spot for "Ultra" and "Exciter" as even they're infinitely preferable to recent output. I recall some cracking Richard Morel mixes of "Dream On" from around 2001 which I still give a spin now and then.

Ah well.
thanks 3 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 01/08/2017(UTC), Ken Doherty on 07/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2017 04:42:21(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Downloaded Cover Me at the weekend - the Ellien Allien and Dixon remixes are two of the best remixes they've released in years but the fact they've released a song like this as a single just goes to show how threadbare the cupboard has been this time round.
ROCKET MICK on 09/10/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#11 Posted : 23 November 2017 02:36:16(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

So the O2 last night - a decent enough show,(but I still preferred them in the good old days without a proper drummer) but with that many people in an arena (I was about halfway back in the standing area and Dave Gahan looked like a performing flea from that distance, God know what you could see right at the back, apart from the bar), it all felt a bit too impersonal, but fuck me, the prices: £6.50 for a pint of Budweiser, £6.80 for Stella, £7 for 'craft' beer, £30 each for a range of dull, shit looking t-shirts and £15 for a 'souvenir' programme that looked like it costs 50p to knock out - when they sang 'the grabbing hands, grab all they can, everything counts in large amounts' they weren't joking...
ROCKET MICK on 23/11/2017(UTC)