logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keepitcoming  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2016 01:41:03(UTC)
keepitcoming

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Wow- just now it dawned upon me that this maligned disk has more interesting songs total, than moovement, PCL, and MooLife combined. Even with the song about port royal sound with bernard "rapping" very confidently like madonna (maybe call it a recitation). References to cows in no way reflect on the content of lowlife or movement or similarity to the cow of Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd or echo and the bunnycows of " seven seas" video fame
We're like kestrels
Sponsor
keepitcoming  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2016 01:53:32(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Sorry I didn't include the words to the song about port royal sound, which are quite prescient.
Something something something the price I pay ,
Something something something have some hay
Blah blah blah blah blah
Or blah blah blah blah blah blah
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2016 06:00:39(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
Yeah I like republic to, I remember that was the first New Order CD I bought and listened to it non stop.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Ben  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2016 07:35:20(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My son (12) heard it for the first time in my car this week, and fell in love with it (especially with Liar). Now he wants it on his iPod, as well as Singles. I hope he'll eventually like PCL and Technique as much.
thanks 1 user thanked Ben for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2016 03:41:29(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben Go to Quoted Post
My son (12) heard it for the first time in my car this week, and fell in love with it

That's the acid test.
4 things I promise to stop discussing, partly cos I only have one lifetime, mainly cos no one gives a fuck what I think and minus no one is gonna reconsider their opinions on the basis thereof:
1. Why Republic is shit.
2. How it's possible to love NO and at the same time think they're massively overrated.
3. Why The Young Ones is the Beatles and Bottom is Wings.
4. Why Mel C is the ultimate dreamboat.

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Technique97  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2016 08:41:04(UTC)
Technique97

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
My son (12) heard it for the first time in my car this week, and fell in love with it

That's the acid test.
4 things I promise to stop discussing, partly cos I only have one lifetime, mainly cos no one gives a fuck what I think and minus no one is gonna reconsider their opinions on the basis thereof:
1. Why Republic is shit.
2. How it's possible to love NO and at the same time think they're massively overrated.

Seriously do you even like New Order? On nearly very thread I see you with some sort of buzzkill comment on why NO are overrated or not as good as we think they are. I mean Republic is my least favourite NO album due to Hooky's bass pretty much being absent and "commercial" dance/club sound but considering this is a Republic appreciation thread, I'll just mention that Regret is one of the best singles of the 90s, Everyone Everywhere is pretty underrated and World is a guilty pleasure of mine even with the lack of Hooky's bass. It's cool to be a casual listener and only appreciate a few NO albums but most people here are pretty hardcore fans.
thanks 1 user thanked Technique97 for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2016 10:53:05(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)

That's the acid test.
1. Why Republic is shit.

1. Strongly disagree.
2. I know what you mean.
3. I love both:quoting Alan Partridge, "Wings are only the group the Beatles could have been!"
4. I could be persuaded...

thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2016 11:06:59(UTC)
Deceiver

Originally Posted by: YourSilentFace Go to Quoted Post

I mean Republic is my least favourite NO album due to Hooky's bass pretty much being absent ...

Yes, I'd say Hook's bass taking a back seat or rest on this album is why I think Republic is not as loved as other albums, but not every fan likes New Order for Hook's bass to the extent they can't do without it. With the event of Music Complete - and hopefully many more New Order albums to come - maybe time will be kinder to Republic and accepted for it's brilliance...
Fotzepolitic  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2016 11:07:49(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Wow- just now it dawned upon me that this maligned disk has more interesting songs total, than moovement, PCL, and MooLife combined. Even with the song about port royal sound with bernard "rapping" very confidently like madonna (maybe call it a recitation). References to cows in no way reflect on the content of lowlife or movement or similarity to the cow of Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd or echo and the bunnycows of " seven seas" video fame

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 08 October 2016 11:22:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Ah it's this one again!... As I've said before, 'overrated' does not mean 'shit'. It simply means there's an abyss between the comments made and the quality and quantity of actual product. Here are some genuine professional quotes - funnily enough, many from 93 when it looked like they were running out of steam forever - now put your obsession aside with one hand and put your other hand on your heart and try to justify them:
1. 'The most influential band since the Beatles or the Stones.' (Beatles? Stones? Who?)
2. 'They dominate the charts like no other group.' (Check the mid 90s.)
3. ''Electronic' is one of the greatest albums ever made.' (Try 'The Beatles', 'Tommy', 'Spice'. (OK, I'm joking! 'Tommy''s shit.)
4. (my personal favourite) 'New Order are our finest band, incapable of making anything less than a great record. Indeed, Republic shows they're currently making the strongest music of their lives... I also love Revenge, Electronic and the Other Two with a passion...' 'Revenge is fractured brilliance... Bernard is up there with Eno, Bowie and the only genius currently working in music.'
Can I justify any of this with their meagre output? No. Does this mean I'm no longer a fan?
Michael Monkhouse  
#11 Posted : 08 October 2016 11:25:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW7skJLjTJY
Debaser  
#12 Posted : 08 October 2016 12:40:02(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
I'm sorry to see that keepitcoming's Lego movie thread was locked, as I wanted to ask a couple of brief questions. If you're reading this KIC, could you please advise:

1) Did you start that thread at 3 in the morning?
2) What were you smoking at the time?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#13 Posted : 08 October 2016 13:21:22(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Ah it's this one again!... As I've said before, 'overrated' does not mean 'shit'. It simply means there's an abyss between the comments made and the quality and quantity of actual product. Here are some genuine professional quotes - funnily enough, many from 93 when it looked like they were running out of steam forever - now put your obsession aside with one hand and put your other hand on your heart and try to justify them:
1. 'The most influential band since the Beatles or the Stones.' (Beatles? Stones? Who?)
2. 'They dominate the charts like no other group.' (Check the mid 90s.)
3. ''Electronic' is one of the greatest albums ever made.' (Try 'The Beatles', 'Tommy', 'Spice'. (OK, I'm joking! 'Tommy''s shit.)
4. (my personal favourite) 'New Order are our finest band, incapable of making anything less than a great record. Indeed, Republic shows they're currently making the strongest music of their lives... I also love Revenge, Electronic and the Other Two with a passion...' 'Revenge is fractured brilliance... Bernard is up there with Eno, Bowie and the only genius currently working in music.'
Can I justify any of this with their meagre output? No. Does this mean I'm no longer a fan?

1.Influential is always a vague thing in my opinion. New Order influenced The Bravery, possibly.Who have they actually influenced musically? The bands they have influenced musically have all been shit (The Bravery etc.) The bands they have influenced in other ways are more interesting.I think they influenced Doves to name but one.Not musically but in an attitude and willing to take musical chances - There Goes The Fear in a roundabout way i always thought was influenced by mid 80s New Order and stuff like The Perfect Kiss.There Goes The Fear sounds nothing like The Perfect Kiss i hear you say and you'd be correct.But it's the courage to try something innovative and create something big and awe inspiring that's the influential connection between The Perfect Kiss and There Goes The Fear.Was it some Canadian or American band that did a song a few years back with a video that completely copied the Perfect Kiss video right down to the last facial expression? Jeez, take an influence from the attitude and music and create something new and inspired from it, not copy it.

2.Nope they've never really dominated charts.Unless you count the indie charts.True Faith never made the national charts no.1 and WIM only stayed at the top for 2 weeks.Technique was a number 1 album for 1 week.Not really chart conquerors .

3.Electronic was kind of the greatest album ever made as it soundtracked one of the greatest periods of time in my life in early summer 1991.So for that reason yes it was or is one of the greatest albums ever made.Though i still defend House Of Love's Butterfly/Fontana album as THE greatest album ever made.

4. In the 80s/early 90s New Order were indeed our finest band.But that doesn't mean they made the best singles or albums of all the artist and bands around at that era.They were our finest band because of their couldn't give a fuck and cool as fuck attitude ( back then i mean. That aura is long, long gone).They were our finest band because of their and Factory's outlook and attitude, not their records although a lot of their records were pretty fucking good.

5.I agree Sporty Spice is well fit.Even more so now.Oh, there wasn't a number 5?

Edited by user 08 October 2016 14:12:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 09 October 2016 23:30:24(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I'd agree with most of that. Especially the last bit.

Originally Posted by: Deceiver Go to Quoted Post

That's the acid test.
1. Why Republic is shit.

1. Strongly disagree.
2. I know what you mean.
3. I love both:quoting Alan Partridge, "Wings are only the group the Beatles could have been!"
4. I could be persuaded...

You talked me into it. In a nuts' Hell:
1. Hague's production; NO's listlessness.
2. I enjoy the music but the quality and quantity does not warrant the hyperbole.
3. http://www.chortle.co.uk...omes_a_love_like_this...
4. Gorgeous face http://www.tornado.pair....s/bmel/601-650/mc646.jpg
Perfect shoulderblades http://www.tornado.pair....s/bmel/651-700/mc652.jpg
Awesomely honed physique http://i.dailymail.co.uk...00000578-552_306x856.jpg
The ability to survive 20 years in the biz without degenerating into arrogance (Posh), vulgarity (Miley Cyrus), excess (Winehouse) or grotesque plastic surgery (pretty much everyone).
She has a little money too.
I wrote this with my free hand.

Edited by user 09 October 2016 23:36:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#15 Posted : 09 October 2016 23:35:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
They were our finest band because of their couldn't give a fuck and cool as fuck attitude ( back then i mean. That aura is long, long gone).They were our finest band because of their and Factory's outlook and attitude, not their records although a lot of their records were pretty fucking good.

In the words of Alan Partridge, absobloodyexactly. The strange thing is that people continue to praise them for a stance they haven't actualy exhibited for around 3 quarters of their existence.
Jonathan  
#16 Posted : 10 October 2016 03:03:48(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
I've never really got into Republic. I don't like the art style particularly, I don't know how that might relate to my feelings on the album itself. "Regret" I do like, and it's the only track I can actually recall from the top of my head. I did just pick up all that era's singles on eBay for $next tonothing, so I will give the other singles and all the b-sides a proper listen over the next week or so.
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#17 Posted : 10 October 2016 05:00:28(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
I loved Regret when it came out but was a little disappointed that the rest of Republic didn't really reach its standard.

At the time, I really lamented the lack of Hook's bass on the vast majority of the tracks, which seems quite ironic to me now.

I love True faith and had hoped that Stephen Hague would calm tensions and elevate the music but, with hindsight, he appears to have had his work cut out just glueing it all together.

The artwork always struck me as a lazy cop-out by Saville. (And I also bought The Limited Run!)

I liked Special & Avalanche and still do. The K-Class 'Re-united' mix of Ruined in a Day & the Perfecto version of World are both tip top.

I have just listened to most of it again for the first time in years. It's not actually as bad as my memory of it but I won't be going back to it any time soon either.

Edited by user 10 October 2016 05:01:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Debaser  
#18 Posted : 11 October 2016 06:42:31(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
The making of Republic was discussed by Hook with Mark Radlcliffe on today's 6 Music interview mentioned in the Hook book thread.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 11/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Coops  
#19 Posted : 12 October 2016 06:05:08(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I think it's a great album, needs more Hooky. As someone pointed out on one of these pages if you think of the direction of the albums being mostly down to Bernard there's a sort of sense in going from Technique to Electronic and then from Republic to Raise The Pressure, followed by Twisted Tenderness to Get Ready.

I don't recall who first pointed that out but I like it.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#20 Posted : 13 October 2016 02:16:18(UTC)
Deceiver

Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a great album, needs more Hooky. As someone pointed out on one of these pages if you think of the direction of the albums being mostly down to Bernard there's a sort of sense in going from Technique to Electronic and then from Republic to Raise The Pressure, followed by Twisted Tenderness to Get Ready.

It was me who said that. Thank you; recognition at last! And thanks for not plagiarising me...

Edited by user 13 October 2016 02:25:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

the_blank_from_hell  
#21 Posted : 13 October 2016 04:42:05(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post

It was me who said that. Thank you; recognition at last! And thanks for not plagiarising me...

There is a clear break in direction from "Raise the Pressure" to "Twisted Tenderness" - the first is the last "classic" New Order-sounding album (housey pop with a bit of Smiths jingle-jangly in between), the latter the first 2k-sounding, big beat with big ROCK guitars. Almost like a fresh start.
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#22 Posted : 13 October 2016 04:51:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I wrote this.
Nexus8Replicant  
#23 Posted : 13 October 2016 05:15:39(UTC)
Nexus8Replicant

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The most dated album of their career, too much in thrall to the tech fashions of its era. Still, Regret, Avalanche, Special make up for it.
thanks 1 user thanked Nexus8Replicant for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#24 Posted : 13 October 2016 05:59:40(UTC)
Deceiver

Originally Posted by: Nexus8Replicant Go to Quoted Post
The most dated album of their career, too much in thrall to the tech fashions of its era. Still, Regret, Avalanche, Special make up for it.

Where do you get such a notion from? I bet you could tell the uninformed that Republic was released this year and they wouldn't bat an eyelid. Movement was instantly dated when released. P,C&L - as much as I love it - sounds like they used ZX Spectrum...

Edited by user 13 October 2016 06:00:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nexus8Replicant  
#25 Posted : 13 October 2016 06:22:40(UTC)
Nexus8Replicant

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nexus8Replicant Go to Quoted Post

Where do you get such a notion from? I bet you could tell the uninformed that Republic was released this year and they wouldn't bat an eyelid. Movement was instantly dated when released. P,C&L - as much as I love it - sounds like they used ZX Spectrum...

It's just an opinion of course. Comparing the sound of Republic and its underwhelming production to say an act like Rival Consoles (who is ****ing great btw) shows its age pretty clearly. I take your point re: Movement, P,C&L et al, but to my ears those albums have a timeless quality.
thanks 1 user thanked Nexus8Replicant for this useful post.