logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<3637383940>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Monkhouse  
#926 Posted : 16 February 2016 03:15:34(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Michael ,how did you find out my secret forum identity? And Where did I put my peyote buds?

This is awesome too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9jBH7ufRU
I love it when they say, I do karaoke, like it's an achievement. It's like when people are proud to be on Facebook - Yerse, I have a Facebook page now. Well done. Very rigorous selection policy for Facebook. They don't let any old tosser on there do they?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#927 Posted : 12 March 2016 09:46:36(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3616 time(s) in 2617 post(s)
Back on a big Cocteaus thing lately
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#928 Posted : 13 March 2016 10:19:22(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Listening to neworder while reading about other bands.
Drift records in Totnes (twinned with Narnia), Devonshire, creates a deluxe edition of reviews of top 100 albums each year, but everyone in england probably is aware anyway
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
79order  
#929 Posted : 08 April 2016 08:11:17(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Joy division
Love will tear us apart.
By The statue of the 12 " cover . Staglieno.
Something So pure.
thanks 1 user thanked 79order for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#930 Posted : 11 April 2016 11:40:04(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: rosygale Go to Quoted Post
Chvrches - Every open eye (hmm what does the artwork remind me of)

Favourite so far - Empty Threat

Finally got round to investigating CHVRCHES' music today.Had been aware of the name for a while and had seen it around increasingly but hadn't heard their stuff except for maybe one song on Jools Holland's show a few years ago.Gave the most recent album a few spins today and liked what i heard .Have listened to some of first album but need to give it more attention when i can.Agreed about Empty Threat from most recent album - quite a perky little tune isn't it!

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/04/2016(UTC), Empress Touch on 12/04/2016(UTC)
Empress Touch  
#931 Posted : 12 April 2016 14:02:03(UTC)
Empress Touch

Man

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Not strictly an up-to-date cover, but well worth a listen:

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDHv4xhP4R8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by user 12 April 2016 14:04:28(UTC)  | Reason: Web link

thanks 1 user thanked Empress Touch for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/04/2016(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#932 Posted : 14 April 2016 05:46:03(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1011 time(s) in 642 post(s)
Ova Nova from Underworld, wow what a great electronic dance song, EXCELLENT. their new album is pretty good to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-nEnVN4z0k
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/04/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#933 Posted : 14 April 2016 23:35:57(UTC)
Fotz

^ I listened to Underworld's new album a couple of times on streaming but i'm not taken by it yet.Maybe that'll change.

Have been listening a lot to Primal Scream's new album Chaosmosis; yep, liking that a lot.Also gave Pet Shop Boys latest album a few spins on streaming; only liking a couple of songs on that one so far.

This Chvrches album Every Open Eye i'm finding totally and utterly addictive, every track is an absolute gem.Have been listening to the whole album on almost constant repeat.Every song is so bloody catchy.Can't recall an album in the last few years i became so addicted to.Think it was released on the very same day as Music Complete last September so i guess i completely missed it and overlooked it at the time but recently looked it up and have been totally bowled over by it.

ROCKET MICK on 15/04/2016(UTC)
rosygale  
#934 Posted : 16 April 2016 11:35:24(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Was gonna post the youtube for Keep You On My Side from Chvrches but it won’t play, maybe copyright? These links seem to expire, I don’t know if they are actually supposed to be there. No time for a proper investigation of various links with different browsers however.
So anyway heard this on the radio and liked it, no idea what the rest of the album is like though. The song plays then it goes to a video of the same song, at least for now, in a few weeks it'll be a error message I expect

Mystery Jets - Bubblegum

thanks 1 user thanked rosygale for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#935 Posted : 28 April 2016 22:17:56(UTC)
Fotz

I'm investigating Tame Impala lately.Kept seeing the name and their album Currents topped a few of the end of year polls last December so i was kind of what's all the fuss about this band then? Really liking a few tracks off Currents, not sure about the album as a whole just yet but i think i might do given time.Then if i do like it enough i'll start working back through their (or rather his as it's basically one guy who writes and records all the songs, Kevin Parker) other stuff.At the moment though these couple of songs are really doing it for me.

Yes, I'm Changing (fan mad video featuring clips from Twin Peaks and the lovely Sherylin Fenn)

The Less I Know The Better (the easily offended might like to skip the intro to the video)

ROCKET MICK on 29/04/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#936 Posted : 29 April 2016 02:51:47(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
^ I've just had a weird sense of deja vu as I was about to start this reply, and that's probably because I've discussed Tame Impala on page 30 of this very thread, as have you Mr FP (posts #738 & 739). And if anyone here still hasn't watched that video for "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" rendered entirely in plasticine, then I urge you to do so.

Speaking of deja vu, some might argue that listening to the band themselves is a bit "deja vu". This NME review suggests that Kevin Parker's entire sound (circa Lonerism) is pilfered from one song; The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows. But he gives the album 9/10 anyway!

I don't have the first album but I have Lonerism and Currents (not illegally downloaded either!). I think Currents has a slightly more upbeat, amost dancable sound compared to previous stuff by them. Maybe that's what happens when Erol Alkan keeps coming back to remix your records, along with Soulwax too. I'm a big fan of Soulwax.

Gotta say I was a bit suprprised that they sold out two nights at Alexandra Palace on the most recent tour. I considered going but when I failed to get tickets i just sort of shrugged. Currents ended up in my multi-CD player for a long period, but after a while it sort of bored me (perhaps that's harsh; I could say the same for lots of albums). I guess what I'm saying is that they're not an essential band for me, but they're a good one, and I'll probably be interested again when the next album comes out.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Debaser  
#937 Posted : 29 April 2016 03:13:34(UTC)
Debaser

Incidentally the funky guitar on the above track reminds me of something...

Fotzepolitic  
#938 Posted : 29 April 2016 06:04:06(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
^ I've just had a weird sense of deja vu as I was about to start this reply, and that's probably because I've discussed Tame Impala on page 30 of this very thread, as have you Mr FP (posts #738 & 739). And if anyone here still hasn't watched that video for "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" rendered entirely in plasticine, then I urge you to do so.

Speaking of deja vu, some might argue that listening to the band themselves is a bit "deja vu". This NME review suggests that Kevin Parker's entire sound (circa Lonerism) is pilfered from one song; The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows. But he gives the album 9/10 anyway!

I don't have the first album but I have Lonerism and Currents (not illegally downloaded either!). I think Currents has a slightly more upbeat, amost dancable sound compared to previous stuff by them. Maybe that's what happens when Erol Alkan keeps coming back to remix your records, along with Soulwax too. I'm a big fan of Soulwax.

Gotta say I was a bit suprprised that they sold out two nights at Alexandra Palace on the most recent tour. I considered going but when I failed to get tickets i just sort of shrugged. Currents ended up in my multi-CD player for a long period, but after a while it sort of bored me (perhaps that's harsh; I could say the same for lots of albums). I guess what I'm saying is that they're not an essential band for me, but they're a good one, and I'll probably be interested again when the next album comes out.

Well well well, you're absolutely correct, DB.I do indeed recall that Tame Impala mash up of Remember Me/Superstition.I mean, i recall that mash up but had forgotten it was by Tame Impala.So i have listened to some of their stuff before, or at least a mash up of theirs.I'd long forgotten posting that track! I played that Feel Like We Only Go Backwards video - yeah very clever video and hats off to whoever made it.The song didn't do much for me on first listen though, it's from the Lonerism album? As for the Soulwax version of Let It Happen yeah it's ok but i much prefer the original album version.

I bought Tame Impala's Currents album on vinyl the other day.I decided i'd try going back to the old school way of discovering bands that i hadn't heard much material by.Instead of illegally downloading or streaming i thought fuck it let's actually make the effort of actually going out to a record shop, browsing through and seeing what catches my eye and take a chance with my hard earned bucks.Too much these days i listen to lots of music just on streaming or what i've downloaded or YouTube or wherever and half the time i listen to it while i'm doing something else.My thinking was i'd pick an album i hadn't heard any of whatsoever and take a chance with it.If it turned out i wasn't keen on it i could always sell it on.Browsing in the record shop Tame Impala's album caught my eye.I knew the name Tame Impala as i'd kept seeing it a fair bit over the last year or two and as i said the album Currents had earned top spot in a lot of the end of year polls so it must be pretty good, right? I don't know why but i had a gut feeling i'd like the album and i certainly liked the sleeve! So i bought the vinyl version . £20 and it's not the sort of thing i can afford to do every week but i was just in the mood.

I'd say at the moment i'm really loving about 3 or 4 tracks, quite liking a few others and the rest i need more time to get acquainted with.I'm at a point with music right now where i don't mind actually paying for and investing in the product.To actually own the album on vinyl and properly sit down and listen to it, not do the washing up while i listen to the mp3 on headphones.Back to to the old way of developing a bond with an album on vinyl by sitting down and properly listening to the thing you've spent £20 on.
Debaser  
#939 Posted : 26 July 2016 06:01:28(UTC)
Debaser

What was that German electronic tune you posted recently Fotzepolitic? The one you ripped from the BBC and then it came out officially?
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#940 Posted : 26 July 2016 06:14:03(UTC)
Debaser

Jamie XX decided to do a 2016 video for Gosh, despite having already done one in 2015.
It seems this one was done for Apple Music, as it briefly appeared on Youtube and Vimeo before being taken down.
It's worth a watch though and can been seen embedded (from Apple Music) in articles

HERE and

HERE.

It did look even better on Vimeo in full screen though. I suspect it will eventually reappear there...some year.
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#941 Posted : 26 July 2016 10:52:12(UTC)
Fotz

What was that German electronic tune you posted recently Fotzepolitic? The one you ripped from the BBC and then it came out officially?

Yeah it was this oneSmile

Debaser on 26/07/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#942 Posted : 28 July 2016 04:47:25(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

Good stuff. A nice eerie electronic-with-a-touch-of-indie sort of feel to it.
If I was talking to the artist I might ask them if they liked Love Like Blood by Killing Joke, and Fade To Grey by Visage. They might say no...

ROCKET MICK on 28/07/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#943 Posted : 28 July 2016 06:32:39(UTC)
Fotz

Good stuff. A nice eerie electronic-with-a-touch-of-indie sort of feel to it.
If I was talking to the artist I might ask them if they liked Love Like Blood by Killing Joke, and Fade To Grey by Visage. They might say no...

I'm not sure it sounds as good heard on its own. I mean, when I first heard it it was three quarters or so way through an episode a month or two back of the 6Music Electronica & Dance show hosted by Nemone at midnight on Fridays and I'd had a few glasses of wine. Nemone had played a lot of good stuff already that particular show and then this came on and just really caught my ear . Just the place I was at that evening maybe . Good tune though nonetheless . If you've never listened to Nemone's Electric Ladyland show on Friday nights check it out sometime . Some weeks the stuff she plays can be a bit meh but on a good week she plays some fantastic electronica & dance. I've learnt of some great tracks through her show.

ROCKET MICK on 28/07/2016(UTC), Debaser on 28/07/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#944 Posted : 02 August 2016 11:55:31(UTC)
Fotz

Jamie XX decided to do a 2016 video for Gosh, despite having already done one in 2015.
It seems this one was done for Apple Music, as it briefly appeared on Youtube and Vimeo before being taken down.
It's worth a watch though and can been seen embedded (from Apple Music) in articles

HERE and

HERE.

It did look even better on Vimeo in full screen though. I suspect it will eventually reappear there...some year.

Erm , wow.A real what on earth did i just watch? moment.That's some massive video.How do they make this frickin things? Or maybe more how do they come up with the ideas for these videos? I didn't watch on quite full screen, more three quarters screen but that was some video.Phew.

The track Gosh itself always reminds me a little bit of Belfast by Orbital for some reason.Synths towards the end have a vague similarity.

Was listening again to Jamie XX's album today.Yeah i still like most of it like i did when it first was released last year.Loud Places with Romey is fab.There was a great performance of it on some French tv show a year or so back with the girl who drums for ...oh i forget the name of the band but she was great on the drums.There was the clip of it on YouTube at the time.

Will be interested to hear The XX's next album when (or if?) they release one.
ROCKET MICK on 02/08/2016(UTC)
Jcp7  
#945 Posted : 02 August 2016 16:35:06(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 642 time(s) in 539 post(s)

There was a great performance of it on some French tv show a year or so back with the girl who drums for ...oh i forget the name of the band but she was great on the drums.There was the clip of it on YouTube at the time.

Stella from Warpaint.
thanks 2 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/08/2016(UTC), Fotz on 03/08/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#946 Posted : 03 August 2016 06:00:45(UTC)
Fotz

^ Ah that's the one.Yes.Thanks.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#947 Posted : 15 September 2016 10:36:07(UTC)
Fotz

Erm, yeah...the video kinda keeps you gripped.Heard the song itself once a month or so back but hadn't seem the video til now.

ROCKET MICK on 16/09/2016(UTC)
Empress Touch  
#948 Posted : 16 September 2016 15:07:48(UTC)
Empress Touch

Man

Mesh are back - with what is clearly the album of 2016: Looking Skyward.

Track 11 (There Must Be A Way) is possibly the best song Mark (Hockings) and Richard (Silverthorn) have ever written to date.

I wouldn't quite call the album a classic, but if Paul Weller was right in saying "You're only as good as your last album", then Mesh currently hold that title - without doubt.
thanks 1 user thanked Empress Touch for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#949 Posted : 17 September 2016 13:45:57(UTC)
Fotz

Oh, remember this one? just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.What a voice.Heaven.

So sad the keyboard player Carey Lander died of cancer last year.

Life goes on .Somehow.Fuck knows how.The world keeps spinning and the dead are always with us in good spirit.

Such an inspiring tune though.Love the vocal.Tracyanne got married this year? Well there yer go, life goes on .Somehow.Buggered if i know how but it does.
Empress Touch on 18/09/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Empress Touch  
#950 Posted : 18 September 2016 13:16:15(UTC)
Empress Touch

Man

Oh, remember this one? just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.What a voice.Heaven.

So sad the keyboard player Carey Lander died of cancer last year.

Life goes on - somehow. Fuck knows how. The world keeps spinning and the dead are always with us in good spirit.

Such an inspiring tune though. Love the vocal. Tracyanne got married this year? Well there yer go, life goes on - somehow. Buggered if i know how but it does.

Fantastic tune. About time we got rid of cancer once and for good too.
thanks 2 users thanked Empress Touch for this useful post.
Fotz on 20/09/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)