logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonathan  
#26 Posted : 21 March 2016 07:19:21(UTC)
Jonathan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Yeah i vaguely recall being disappointed upon seeing the tracklist for Retro a month or so before its release but i can't quite remember exactly why i was disappointed, it's so long ago now.Can only presume it was because there was nothing over the 4 discs that hadn't been released before; well apart form live stuff on disc 4 but a lot of that had been in circulation on bootlegs for a long time.

I remember exactly why I was disappointed. I had just purchased the Echo & The Bunnymen box set and it was great.

It WAS great. In that "form-factor" I have that, Heart & Soul, Siouxsie & The Banshee's "Downside Up" and The Cure's "Join the Dots". All are truly fantastic. I never bought Retro because it paled in comparison. I'd love a decent NO offering, but as others have said, Recycle has rather addressed that need (having said that, I have big holes in my Recycle collection. Can I PM anyone to help me fill them?)

I'd also be interested in any other strong releases in that form-factor for other groups.
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
negative1  
#27 Posted : 22 March 2016 11:43:28(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
new order has sunk further and further down since low-life, with nothing coming close to even that.

Well that's all subjective and personal taste, isn't it? Low-life's a great record but the band recorded and released a slew of great songs post-85. Almost undeniable. I personally found the naughties-era albums to be a bit patchy but when even they hit their high points they could be pretty special. Also, if New Order truly stopped being a good band for you in 1985 why do you devote so much time to them on these forums and documenting all of their releases post-85? Some fans prefer to take refuge in the "generally accepted best" particularly the Factory era but I personally find stuff like Crystal, Who's Joe, Turn, I'll Stay With You, Academic and Singularity to be close to or better than a great deal of that older stuff.

if you noticed, i concentrate mostly on their single releases, and associated songs, not necessarily their albums.

to me they have always been a 'singles' band, and there have been plenty of those, with releases, re-releases,
and multiple mixes of songs.

and the ones i prefer the most are from the 80s.

the new order box was a toss up, except for the bonus disc, and even then, just average

Retro bar the bonus disc was a wasted opportunity. The band didn't seem interested, the label were border-line uninterested and it ended up being dropped in the lap of a few celeb mates to compile. The concept was definitely flawed and just didn't seem to work. The bonus disc was a last minute panic because they knew it had ended up a fairly random compilation of commonly-available stuff most fans already had. This new box-set which has been mooted in the music press is a brilliant opportunity to right that wrong. It's a chance for the fans to finally get a New Order archival release that will stand the test of time. I wish them all the best and hope they get it right.

there is little to no hope for a great boxset to come out, because there is too much material to sort out.

so far the fan compilations do a much better job, because of the variety of material available, and the research, and
care taken to put them together,

orchestral concerts.

Can't think of anything worse, truly. But then that's just me. It's personal preference but I've found bands performing live with orchestras can be very hit and miss. Maybe I've seen the wrong ones. That said the studio orchestral bits on Music Complete do work well and don't interfere with the sound too much. The arrangement on Tutti Frutti for instance really works.

my point was, there is a lot more variety in echo and the bunnymen shows.

they have a lot to draw from.... so does new order,
but if you notice, they concentrate solely on their early era songs.

rarely, if any songs, from the last 5 albums make it into the concerts.

and even if they play them, there is rarely any variation in the songs, they have a lot more variety and improvisation in their early concerts from the 80s.

there would be little to no interest, if new order played only new songs, or even the majority of them.
they realize the strength of their appeal, is their back catalogue.

bernard has lost a lot of his voice

Bollocks. I've seen the band regularly(ish) recently and even if you read reviews of recent gigs people have had a lot of compliments for Bernard's recent vocal performances. They're vastly better than they were during most of the Get Ready and Sirens' gigs. The whooping has gone which has greatly improved how the songs come across. Besides, do you seriously expect Bernard to sing exactly as he did in 1985 or 1989? That's just incredibly naive. He's sixty now so expecting him to belt out Age Of Consent exactly as he did in 1983 is a bit misguided. I think Music Complete demonstrated on a few tracks he's found his feet with singing in a lower register, he sounds pretty good on Nothing But A Fool. His lower range seems to have "come of age" for sure.

You do have a point with the recent sets being a tad repetitive but they have introduced newer songs (Lonesome, Academic) and new arrangements (WFTSC, BLT) so it's a bit unfair to say they've been totally static. At the end of the day not everyone going to their gigs are hardcore fans like us. Some people want to hear Blue Monday and the more established songs and would feel disappointed if they were omitted so 50 people in the front row could enjoy "The Happy One".

i have heard, and seen new order a few times in the last several years, along with echo. i've listened to the recordings, and watched them for both bands.

no, i do not expect them to sound like they did 30 years ago, but all things considered, i think ian has held up better overall compared to bernard.

one thing about new order, is that they do sound better live now, and not as 'raw' as they used to when they first started, and bernard is not as off-key as he used to be.

later

Edited by user 22 March 2016 11:44:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
markreed  
#28 Posted : 22 March 2016 13:38:07(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
“Retro” was dogshit. A complete waste of silver. Another greatest hits on disc one? Yay. (Snooze). LP tracks reissued for the umpteenth time? (zzzzz). An occasional remix on disc three? (glare) A chronological concert disc made from their most boring period of stadium competence? (SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY).

I pulled together an alternative set I made with CDR's that rocked the fucking shit out of “Retro”. It looked something like this, but I can't find the CDR's now.

CD ONE
True Faith (Peel Session)* / Touched By The Hand Of God (Peel Session)* / Temptation-98* / Confusion (DMC Mix from Volume 1 compilation)* / Thieves Like Us (7” edit) / The Perfect Kiss (7” edit) / Bizarre Love Triangle (7” mix) / World In Motion / Regret / Ruined In A Day / World / Spooky (Minimix) / Crystal / 60MPH / Here To Stay / Brutal

CD TWO
Round & Round (New Order 12” Mix) / Fine Time (Silk Mix) / Run2 (12”) / Blue Monday-88 (12”) / Subculture (Record Mirror Mix) / Paradise (Racic Mix) / Regret (Newordermix) / World (Brothers In Rhythm Mix) / Everythings Gone Green (One of the Advent mixes) / True Faith (Pink Noise Mix) / Here To Stay (Glitz Mix) / Someone Like You (Futureshock) / 60 MPH (Superman Lovers Mix)

CD THREE
Salvation / Dreams Never End (Peel) / Truth (Peel) / Senses (Peel) / ICB (Peel) / Turn The Heater On (Peel) / We All Stand (Peel) / Too Late (Peel) / 586 (Peel) / Paradise (Peel)* / Isolation (Peel)* / Atmosphere (Peel)* / Behind Closed Doors / Sabotage / Player In The League / Such A Good Thing / Rock The Shack (Peel)* / Slow Jam (Peel)* / Close Range (Peel)* / Your Silent Face (Peel)*

CD FOUR
Elegia (full version)* / Sputnik / Skullcrusher / Theme A La MGM / Don't Do It / Best & Marsh / MTO / Vicious Circle / Video 586

CD FOUR
Ruined In A Day / Regret / Isolation / Heart And Soul / Round & Round / World / Everyone Everywhere / Paradise / True Faith / Temptation / The Perfect Kiss / Blue Monday / World In Motion Reading 1993+98

DVD :
1. Pumped Full Of Drugs (50 mins) 2. Academy 1987 (47 minutes) 3. Brixton 1989 (20 minutes) 4. Montreux 1993 (55 mins)

Only one more disc than 'Retro', 4 full live shows on DVD, a Live At Reading CD, 12 unreleased songs *, and almost everything on there was never on a previous New Order album. I don't think there would have been as much moaning at the time!
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
markreed  
#29 Posted : 22 March 2016 13:44:14(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Those wonderful bunnymen did put out a nice thing, even though I already had it all.new order put out something stupid , and was just not needed. So new order made up for it by writing about 35 new interesting songs since ( not including the 8 fine songs from BL), and the bunnies have zero interesting songs since flowers. I still love plenty of bunnie's songs, and cherish memories of these 2 great bands- cost a lot to see the bunnies about 30 times, NO about 15, but no regrets - and twice they played together

---

echo has gotten better live, and mac's voice still holds up.

they play old songs, new songs, and every thing else, including orchestral concerts.

bernard has lost a lot of his voice, and the bands set list has dried up, and become greatest hits over and over.

no contest for me.

later

Try saying something good and positive about the band. Just you know, try it. It honestly doesn't hurt.

Also, I prefer N.O. live now. It's not a 'Greatest Hits', if it was, they'd close every gig with WORLD IN MOSHUN. Yes, they play some singles from the 80's. But also, there's a lot of singles from the 80's they don't play.

Finally, Bernard has 'lost' his voice? What absolute rubbish. Bernard has had singing lessons, and doesn't sound like a breathles seal barking and yelping off key anymore. I'd take that anyday over the versions of "Age Of Consent" where's he sings offkey, screws up the words, and snorts a line of white stuff for the encore.

thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#30 Posted : 22 March 2016 21:37:30(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
I think the only good bit about Retro was the booklet.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#31 Posted : 23 March 2016 07:17:52(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post
[
Try saying something good and positive about the band.

... But keep it real.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
negative1  
#32 Posted : 23 March 2016 10:28:14(UTC)
negative1

Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post

Try saying something good and positive about the band. Just you know, try it. It honestly doesn't hurt.

i did,

Quote:
one thing about new order, is that they do sound better live now, and not as 'raw' as they used to when they first started, and bernard is not as off-key as he used to be.

later

keepitcoming  
#33 Posted : 28 August 2016 19:41:10(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Hellbent 23 minute stratobliss remix would be my choice for one of the 8 sides of the new retro
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#34 Posted : 29 August 2016 02:32:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Where are all the totally fucked up proposed traack listings that are so perfect they make Mel C look like Merkel? I better start...
Hey guys, wouldn't it be like just totally AWESOME if we got like Substance Revisited? Here we go...
Ceremony (Brian Eno mix) - Eno was rumoured to be maybe going to possibly be on Sirens but he wasn't so he must feel a right tart: fuck Bowie, John Cale, and Nico, he coulda been in Wanking Overtime! Also he mixed a Suede track and Suede used Peter Savile who also did New Order, so fingers crossed here.
EGG - Advent - This came out when they weren't even talking to each other, let alone recording, but I reckon they know it inside out like what I do. They certainly had a great quality control over The Rest Of.
Temptation - Bolland - Yeah I know it ain't really NO but it brings back awesome memories of clubbing with my girlfriend who's now my wife. I'm sure such considerations are foremost in the minds of multi-national corporate pigs when compiling another compilation compilingly.
Blue Monday - Ian Curtis mix - Yeah! Wouldn't it be like totally awesome if he wasn't dead - he just needed a breather - and what better way to return than remixing their nevergreen hit?
Conmfusion - CoOmFusArsIon mix - I had this on 12" in 1991 but my cat pissed on it and I can't play it any more. I'm sure Mute care about this too. I'm gonna start a petition, I had this on 12" in 1991 but make my cat didn't piss on it so I can play it any more.

Edited by user 29 August 2016 07:31:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
79order on 29/08/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2016(UTC)
VanGelder  
#35 Posted : 29 August 2016 04:47:00(UTC)
VanGelder

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 21 post(s)
It's certainly undeniable that the end result of another New Order box set could be immensely disappointing. But, I think it's equally plausible that the end result could be satisfying and appealing. A good New Order box set exists. Somewhere, buried deep in the aether, is a magnificent, contemporary New Order collection.

Frankly, I can be a sucker for demos. Seeing a track in its adolescence - as it's just beginning to find itself - can be very interesting. With such examples as the lyrical demo of Let's Go and the charming demo of Bizarre Love Triangle, I would love to have more demo recordings from the Factory-Era.
If the box set finds space for a decent assemblage of old demos, I will be very, very happy.

If at least one member of the band is involved and actually interested in the project, I believe there's hope. Hope for the box to be a gratifying one.
thanks 1 user thanked VanGelder for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell  
#36 Posted : 29 August 2016 06:21:47(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
And I can easily predict that the only tracks on this box set I don't already have on CD will be "Vicious Circle (New order mix)" and the 12" full-length of "Shellshock." Maybe, if I am lucky, I will get "Shellcock" too!
Will I moan about that? Of course. Will i buy it? Of course.
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Kelvin  
#37 Posted : 30 August 2016 02:11:36(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/08/2016(UTC)
Johnny James  
#38 Posted : 30 August 2016 02:27:19(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/KCMANC/status/770562735276957697/photo/1

I was about to post this in a new thread.

This is a publishers promo (as per the Joy Division one and The Smiths one) and nothing to do with the about-to-be-released revamped 'Singles', nor the upcoming box set Steve has been talking about.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 30 August 2016 02:37:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#39 Posted : 30 August 2016 04:07:54(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

When I say NO are overrated people misunderstand and think it means they're shit (obviously they aren't) or I dislike them (obviously I don't). It simply means the comments about them you can take are leave - but are not borne out by the quality and quantity of their actual music. Here are some genuine professional journo quotes I remember verbatim: now even as a superfan, put your hand on your heart and say, Yes indeed:
1. 'The most important band since the Beatles or the Stones.'
2. 'They dominate the charts like no other group.'
3. ''Electronic' is one of the greatest albums ever made.'
4. (my personal favourite) 'New Order are our finest band, incapable of making anything less than a great record. Indeed, Republic shows they're currently making the strongest music of their lives. I also love Revenge, Electronic and the Other Two with a passion.'
5. 'New Order were the most important band in the 80s, just like Electronic for the 90s. Bernard is a new Brian Eno, the only genius currently working in music.'
6. 'The inventors of 80s music, and pretty much everything else.'
You can support these comments by the music alone?
Linus Solanki  
#40 Posted : 30 August 2016 04:54:55(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
I hope the new Box set has some new songs or something new from Music Complete , otherwise it is not worth buying in my opinion.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#41 Posted : 30 August 2016 05:18:55(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
I hope the new Box set has some new songs or something new from Music Complete , otherwise it is not worth buying in my opinion.

It's Warners, so back catalogue up to WFTSC/Lost Sirens.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#42 Posted : 30 August 2016 05:59:56(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Given the long standing wonderful work by TPOIT, I do not expect there to be much in the way of music to bring me to the checkout once again for the new pre-Mute box.

That is, unless the elves at Saville Associates come up with a thing of rare beauty - as well they might...
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Debaser  
#43 Posted : 30 August 2016 06:53:17(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rorschach Go to Quoted Post
That is, unless the elves at Saville Associates come up with a thing of rare beauty - as well they might...

Yes, what if they actually do a proper version of Recycle as originally envisioned? Everything properly remastered, and packaged in the way £50 Note hoped they might do in his wake. Beautifully presented in an amazing box with luxury booklet...and a flag.

Ok the flag wouldn't do it, but the rest of it might just give me FOMO.
Must.Stay.Strong.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#44 Posted : 30 August 2016 08:57:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Yes, what if

'What if' is New Order fan talk for This won't happen.
NotAMod  
#45 Posted : 31 August 2016 02:33:08(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
One of the best box-sets I bought in recent years was Bowie's "Five Years" shortly before he died. Maybe part of the problem as to why they always struggled putting together a definitive New Order box-set is because there is such a vast discography and literally hundreds of non-album tracks. Doing everything in one go might have been a bit of a tall erm... order not to mention consolidating it all onto a single item the record company weren't sure they could flog enough of. Hence the reticence on their part (I'm guessing).

Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the Bowie archivists book and gradually release "era" spanning box-sets over the course of a few years I.e.

- The Early Factory Years: 1980-1985 (Movement, 1981-1982 EP, PC&L and Low-life),
- The Later Factory Years: 1986-1990 (Brotherhood, Substance 1987 and Technique),
- The Warner Brothers Years: 1993-2006 (Republic, Get Ready, WFTSC and Lost Sirens).

Each CD sized box-set would contain 10 or so remastered CDs including:

- Each album with mini-LP artwork card reproductions from the Factory/London originals.
- A corresponding bonus disc for each album containing 12" mixes, non-album tracks etc. based on the 2008 efforts but expanded.
- One further obscure rarities disc like Bowie's "Re:Call 1" CD covering unreleased demos, rare lost mixes etc.
- A live album of a previously unreleased "choice" gig showing the band at the peak of their then-powers.

Also release the box-sets digitally in 24-bit (a minor point but would be nice).

I don't think there's any need to include every mix, dub, remix edit, dub edit etc. that ever existed. That's not a decent listenable box set, that's just OCD (in my opinion). That said, there are some nice remixes languishing on forgotten promos out there which would do very well to get a proper release; the Sunrise Rough Mix & Planet Funk Remix of WFTSC to name but two. The problem with the fan proposals for Recycle have always been (although £50 Note tempered his slightly) that the track-listings were random and out of control. They're just a list of mixes rather than a properly thought out concept.

Realistically the band and label are probably some way down the line with this new box-set already so the above is purely "dream concept" but I'm sure they've looked at incredible box-sets done by other bands and taken notes. I've personally got high hopes for this one from what we've heard so far.

Edited by user 31 August 2016 02:39:55(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy up.

thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/08/2016(UTC), Andy on 31/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#46 Posted : 31 August 2016 03:11:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Quite honestly I think the reason is far more prosaic: They just don't give a shit. As I said before, they talk about Substance but probably don't know anything about London's 862 rererereleases. It's not like they have Beatles-Anthology-esque masses of tracks to deal with either. Case in point: the POTHL shipping fuck up.
So tell me what you want, what you really really want: Another 9730953289 years' dicking about with rerererererererehashes, or another album as good as MC?
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want: Some Republic demos. I'd like to know if Hooky was just BSing when he said it started out much harder and NOy before Hague.

Edited by user 31 August 2016 03:27:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/08/2016(UTC), Sage_ on 04/12/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#47 Posted : 31 August 2016 10:56:08(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Box set schmox set.I feel they should give the re issues remasters re fucking whatever a rest for a while.They'll have to come up with something really earth shatteringly special, something totally mindblowing in its originality and creativeness for me to part with my dosh this time.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
negative1  
#48 Posted : 31 August 2016 14:09:16(UTC)
negative1

One of the best box-sets I bought in recent years was Bowie's "Five Years" shortly before he died. Maybe part of the problem as to why they always struggled putting together a definitive New Order box-set is because there is such a vast discography and literally hundreds of non-album tracks. Doing everything in one go might have been a bit of a tall erm... order not to mention consolidating it all onto a single item the record company weren't sure they could flog enough of. Hence the reticence on their part (I'm guessing).

Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the Bowie archivists book and gradually release "era" spanning box-sets over the course of a few years I.e.

- The Early Factory Years: 1980-1985 (Movement, 1981-1982 EP, PC&L and Low-life),
- The Later Factory Years: 1986-1990 (Brotherhood, Substance 1987 and Technique),
- The Warner Brothers Years: 1993-2006 (Republic, Get Ready, WFTSC and Lost Sirens).

Each CD sized box-set would contain 10 or so remastered CDs including:

- Each album with mini-LP artwork card reproductions from the Factory/London originals.
- A corresponding bonus disc for each album containing 12" mixes, non-album tracks etc. based on the 2008 efforts but expanded.
- One further obscure rarities disc like Bowie's "Re:Call 1" CD covering unreleased demos, rare lost mixes etc.
- A live album of a previously unreleased "choice" gig showing the band at the peak of their then-powers.

Also release the box-sets digitally in 24-bit (a minor point but would be nice).

I don't think there's any need to include every mix, dub, remix edit, dub edit etc. that ever existed. That's not a decent listenable box set, that's just OCD (in my opinion). That said, there are some nice remixes languishing on forgotten promos out there which would do very well to get a proper release; the Sunrise Rough Mix & Planet Funk Remix of WFTSC to name but two. The problem with the fan proposals for Recycle have always been (although £50 Note tempered his slightly) that the track-listings were random and out of control. They're just a list of mixes rather than a properly thought out concept.

Realistically the band and label are probably some way down the line with this new box-set already so the above is purely "dream concept" but I'm sure they've looked at incredible box-sets done by other bands and taken notes. I've personally got high hopes for this one from what we've heard so far.

as mentioned in my post here:
http://forums.neworderon...ts&m=24126#post24126

this guy came up with 47 discs worth of material.
(including dvd's etc).

later

ROCKET MICK on 01/09/2016(UTC)
NotAMod  
#49 Posted : 31 August 2016 14:49:32(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
as mentioned in my post here:
http://forums.neworderon...ts&m=24126#post24126

this guy came up with 47 discs worth of material.
(including dvd's etc).

Yes I read that earlier today but as I opined further up:

I don't think there's any need to include every mix, dub, remix edit, dub edit etc. that ever existed. That's not a decent listenable box set, that's just OCD (in my opinion).

What I proposed would be roughly no more than 10 discs per box-set (times 3) and the content strictly marshalled to avoid repetition like say, 500 mixes of Crystal.

I mean, kudos to the guy for compiling it and all (his heart is clearly in the right place as per his nice intro) that but do we really need six CDs covering the Get Ready era? Does anyone? Really? Even half that would be overkill. You've got to make the box-set look good as a concept as well as in terms of the material featured. Less is more but the trick is making what you do include so welcome and indispensable that nobody cares the 7" of Dub-vulture isn't on there. That's the challenge.

There's a difference between a well crafted box-set and a spreadsheet with some images next to seemingly never-ending lists of remixes.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#50 Posted : 01 September 2016 03:27:38(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I think it's hilarious people are getting boners over the fact a genuine real actual band member is involved... Hooky was proactively involved in the 2008 remasters and said he was proud of them.