logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EmileStrunz  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2016 00:07:14(UTC)
EmileStrunz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 38 post(s)
There's an interview with Stephen Morris in that 'Pop' magazine, and he clearly states that he's currently curating a new box set comprising old video clips, rare tracks etc
thanks 6 users thanked EmileStrunz for this useful post.
NotAMod on 18/03/2016(UTC), Andy on 18/03/2016(UTC), fac51 on 19/03/2016(UTC), Fotz on 20/03/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC), 79order on 11/02/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
NotAMod  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2016 00:45:47(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Excellent news. Hopefully this will be what Retro/Recycle should have been back in 2002.

Personally I'd love to see something along the lines of Ian Brown's Collected box-set from 2012. The most up to date masterings of all the Factory/Warners albums on CD, discs covering b-sides and the rarest/best remixes, the Collected DVD and a bit of vinyl. Oh, plus a code for further downloads. It can be done. If Ian Brown solo can manage it then surely a band with New Order's vintage can too.

It's also a relief to hear one of the band curating the project.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2016 03:11:15(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Interesting.Thanks for the info.What is that 'Pop' magazine you read that in, Emile? Do you mean that 'Classic Pop' mag? I actually saw a latest issue of that in WH Smith the other day but didn't look at it.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2016 08:50:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
This has been on and off since the Recycle T-shirts in 98. Not another retread, please.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2016 10:50:06(UTC)
Fotz

I'll be fascinated to see what old video footage is included that hasn't already been in circulation/YouTube for years.
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2016 11:18:14(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Sweet FA, I would imagine.
One new album - 3865423 compilations, 7343707658096 documentaries, 9859754876349087450947 remixes. Who do you think you are? Some kind of superstar?
EmileStrunz  
#7 Posted : 18 March 2016 12:42:27(UTC)
EmileStrunz

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Interesting.Thanks for the info.What is that 'Pop' magazine you read that in, Emile? Do you mean that 'Classic Pop' mag? I actually saw a latest issue of that in WH Smith the other day but didn't look at it.

Yes, it's the 'Classic Pop' magazine. My mistake. Decent interview
thanks 2 users thanked EmileStrunz for this useful post.
Fotz on 18/03/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 18 March 2016 14:07:55(UTC)
Fotz

I can only wish Steve the best of luck in choosing what goes into the box set.I still vaguely recall the unparalleled level of anger and complaints on the old forums back in 2002 when the tracklist for Retro was announced and which eventually led to the bonus disc being thrown into the mix at the last minute.
Moderne Decay  
#9 Posted : 18 March 2016 15:44:55(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I can only wish Steve the best of luck in choosing what goes into the box set.I still vaguely recall the unparalleled level of anger and complaints on the old forums back in 2002 when the tracklist for Retro was announced and which eventually led to the bonus disc being thrown into the mix at the last minute.

Haha, I remember all the horror that went on here back when Retro came out. I think I had the username "Low-Life" or "Re-Member" back then and did my fair share of moaning about it as well. To be fair, other people ended up compiling the box set. If Steve is somehow directly involved, I have hope. Back when the "Live in Glasgow" DVD came out, there was loads of live footage on the second disc I had never seen before, so who knows what else he might have lurking in the vaults.
thanks 1 user thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2016 20:36:56(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post

Haha, I remember all the horror that went on here back when Retro came out. I think I had the username "Low-Life" or "Re-Member" back then and did my fair share of moaning about it as well. To be fair, other people ended up compiling the box set. If Steve is somehow directly involved, I have hope. Back when the "Live in Glasgow" DVD came out, there was loads of live footage on the second disc I had never seen before, so who knows what else he might have lurking in the vaults.

True, there was a fair bit of previously unseen live footage on the Glasgow DVD.I've not watched it all that much and certainly not for a long time so will have to have a viewing session again soon.Maybe Steve has got hours and hours of good quality gig footage that's never seen the light of day.As for rare tracks, again i'll be fascinated to see what he has that people haven't heard before.Maybe there's rare studio footage also.

EmileStrunz  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2016 23:53:06(UTC)
EmileStrunz

I remember being so disappointed with Retro. Knowing that it could have been great and for whatever reason is what just so wishy washy. A real missed opportunity, and not what Gretton had in mind at all.

I guess there's also the elephant who isn't in the room this time around to contend with too: Hooky. Not a case of if, but when he'll throw a spanner in the works. But I guess Morris wouldn't work on this project unless it had clearance. Who knows?

I'd like as much footage from 87-89 as possible please, a good quality Hooky doing The Happy One on OSM, and likewise the BBC Rock Around the Clock broadcast, and all TOTP appearances as clear as hell. Yes, they're on Youtube, but it would be nice to have them crystal clear on disc.
thanks 1 user thanked EmileStrunz for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2016 04:19:59(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah i vaguely recall being disappointed upon seeing the tracklist for Retro a month or so before its release but i can't quite remember exactly why i was disappointed, it's so long ago now.Can only presume it was because there was nothing over the 4 discs that hadn't been released before; well apart form live stuff on disc 4 but a lot of that had been in circulation on bootlegs for a long time.It was only with the late addition of the bonus disc with stuff such as the 17 minute Elegia that fans' anger was calmed a little.

I think rumours had started to circulate around 1997-98 that the "Recycle" box set would have every New Order single repackaged in individual CDs in a nice box- early New Order singles such as Ceremony right up to Bizarre Love Triangle (i think) hadn't been released as a CD single at that time (and many of the early singles still haven't, officially).I think a lot of the eventual disappointment in 2002 was because the Box Set had ultimately been reduced to 4 discs with dubious choices of tracks most fans had long owned.

edit: I think there was even a rumour at one point in the late 90s that Recycle would also contain the multitracks for every New Order single.That sounded a tad ambitious !

Edited by user 19 March 2016 04:45:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#13 Posted : 19 March 2016 06:32:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The wondrous world of New Order releases:
1. There's a vaguest, non-commitallest, imprecisest hypothetical conditioned suggestion something might like could just may maybe perhaps emerge on the proverbial horizon.
2. Everyone on the forums gets a collective boner and with their free hand comes up with dream scenarios so far-fetched they make Hieronymus Bosch look like EastEnders.
3. I dare imply they should get real cos it won't be for at least 3 years and even then it'll be like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit.
4. They respond, Fuck you and yer fucking cynicism and pessimism yer fucking morbid wanker, yer pissing on our joint bonfire and spoiling all the fun.
5. Nothing for at least 3 years and even then it's like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit.
6. Repeat until death.

Edited by user 21 March 2016 04:49:39(UTC)  | Reason: I felt like it.

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotz on 19/03/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#14 Posted : 19 March 2016 10:16:09(UTC)
Fotz

Evening, Michael.
Michael Monkhouse  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2016 11:31:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I saw a big sign, 'New Order - Sold Out!' I thought, They did, didn't they.
Moderne Decay  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2016 13:50:54(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Yeah i vaguely recall being disappointed upon seeing the tracklist for Retro a month or so before its release but i can't quite remember exactly why i was disappointed, it's so long ago now.Can only presume it was because there was nothing over the 4 discs that hadn't been released before; well apart form live stuff on disc 4 but a lot of that had been in circulation on bootlegs for a long time.

I remember exactly why I was disappointed. I had just purchased the Echo & The Bunnymen box set and it was great. It was a nice chronological career spanning set which had enough rarities for the fans, plus worked as a nice introduction for new comers. Retro, on the other hand, felt like a total mess. The first three discs felt completely random and didn't do much to tell the story of the band, then the live disc had a lot of bootleg sounding recordings. Also at the time, the original Ceremony and 7" Temptation had yet to be released on CD, plus there were still a lot of the 12" singles which haven't made it to disc yet in original unedited form. Thankfully, the disappointed toward the box set kicked started that Recycle blog and those of us here at the time were truly blessed to finally get what we wanted.
thanks 2 users thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
Andy on 19/03/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#17 Posted : 19 March 2016 23:44:10(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Those wonderful bunnymen did put out a nice thing, even though I already had it all.new order put out something stupid , and was just not needed. So new order made up for it by writing about 35 new interesting songs since ( not including the 8 fine songs from BL), and the bunnies have zero interesting songs since flowers. I still love plenty of bunnie's songs, and cherish memories of these 2 great bands- cost a lot to see the bunnies about 30 times, NO about 15, but no regrets - and twice they played together
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
negative1  
#18 Posted : 20 March 2016 10:43:11(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
Those wonderful bunnymen did put out a nice thing, even though I already had it all.new order put out something stupid , and was just not needed. So new order made up for it by writing about 35 new interesting songs since ( not including the 8 fine songs from BL), and the bunnies have zero interesting songs since flowers. I still love plenty of bunnie's songs, and cherish memories of these 2 great bands- cost a lot to see the bunnies about 30 times, NO about 15, but no regrets - and twice they played together

to me its the exact opposite.

echo and the bunnymen have become far more interesting than new order, in the second half of their career.

meteorites is much more interesting than music complete. same with all their albums from 'evergreen' onwards.

new order has sunk further and further down since low-life, with nothing coming close to even that.

---
as far as the box sets goes, yes, to me the echo box was great for people that didn't have all of it,
and even if you did, a lot of tracks were never on CD before.

the new order box was a toss up, except for the bonus disc, and even then, just average

echo has gotten better live, and mac's voice still holds up.

they play old songs, new songs, and every thing else, including orchestral concerts.

bernard has lost a lot of his voice, and the bands set list has dried up, and become greatest hits over and over.

no contest for me.

later

Edited by user 20 March 2016 10:44:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#19 Posted : 20 March 2016 12:03:53(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
new order has sunk further and further down since low-life, with nothing coming close to even that.

Well that's all subjective and personal taste, isn't it? Low-life's a great record but the band recorded and released a slew of great songs post-85. Almost undeniable. I personally found the naughties-era albums to be a bit patchy but when even they hit their high points they could be pretty special. Also, if New Order truly stopped being a good band for you in 1985 why do you devote so much time to them on these forums and documenting all of their releases post-85? Some fans prefer to take refuge in the "generally accepted best" particularly the Factory era but I personally find stuff like Crystal, Who's Joe, Turn, I'll Stay With You, Academic and Singularity to be close to or better than a great deal of that older stuff.

the new order box was a toss up, except for the bonus disc, and even then, just average

Retro bar the bonus disc was a wasted opportunity. The band didn't seem interested, the label were border-line uninterested and it ended up being dropped in the lap of a few celeb mates to compile. The concept was definitely flawed and just didn't seem to work. The bonus disc was a last minute panic because they knew it had ended up a fairly random compilation of commonly-available stuff most fans already had. This new box-set which has been mooted in the music press is a brilliant opportunity to right that wrong. It's a chance for the fans to finally get a New Order archival release that will stand the test of time. I wish them all the best and hope they get it right.

orchestral concerts.

Can't think of anything worse, truly. But then that's just me. It's personal preference but I've found bands performing live with orchestras can be very hit and miss. Maybe I've seen the wrong ones. That said the studio orchestral bits on Music Complete do work well and don't interfere with the sound too much. The arrangement on Tutti Frutti for instance really works.

bernard has lost a lot of his voice

Bollocks. I've seen the band regularly(ish) recently and even if you read reviews of recent gigs people have had a lot of compliments for Bernard's recent vocal performances. They're vastly better than they were during most of the Get Ready and Sirens' gigs. The whooping has gone which has greatly improved how the songs come across. Besides, do you seriously expect Bernard to sing exactly as he did in 1985 or 1989? That's just incredibly naive. He's sixty now so expecting him to belt out Age Of Consent exactly as he did in 1983 is a bit misguided. I think Music Complete demonstrated on a few tracks he's found his feet with singing in a lower register, he sounds pretty good on Nothing But A Fool. His lower range seems to have "come of age" for sure.

You do have a point with the recent sets being a tad repetitive but they have introduced newer songs (Lonesome, Academic) and new arrangements (WFTSC, BLT) so it's a bit unfair to say they've been totally static. At the end of the day not everyone going to their gigs are hardcore fans like us. Some people want to hear Blue Monday and the more established songs and would feel disappointed if they were omitted so 50 people in the front row could enjoy "The Happy One".

Edited by user 20 March 2016 15:20:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Ryan  
#20 Posted : 20 March 2016 14:24:14(UTC)
Ryan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)

echo and the bunnymen have become far more interesting than new order, in the second half of their career.

meteorites is much more interesting than music complete. same with all their albums from 'evergreen' onwards.

---
as far as the box sets goes, yes, to me the echo box was great for people that didn't have all of it,

they play old songs, new songs, and every thing else, including orchestral concerts.

bernard has lost a lot of his voice, and the bands set list has dried up, and become greatest hits over and over.

no contest for me.

later

NO are doing two orchestral shows at the Opera House here in Sydney in June.
"Watching love grow, forever. Letting me know, forever."
thanks 1 user thanked Ryan for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#21 Posted : 20 March 2016 15:12:16(UTC)
Fotz

---

no contest for me.

later

Interesting your thoughts on Ian Mculloch's voice and Bernard's.I feel Mculloch's voice isn't a patch on what it used to be whereas i think Bernard's has actually improved.I haven't bought a Bunnymen album since What Are You Going To With Your Life? ( some really good songs on that album) in 1999 but have heard a few recent (2014) songs and i thought Mculloch was really struggling with vocals.Shame because his voice in the Bunnymen's 80s pomp was fantastic to say the least as were the band themselves.

keepitcoming  
#22 Posted : 20 March 2016 15:33:26(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Echo and the Bunnymen are as great as anything, but New Order is not just anything they are everythingHi Eek Confused Clown Hi Evil m
We're like kestrels
thanks 2 users thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC), 79order on 29/11/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#23 Posted : 21 March 2016 02:01:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post

Retro bar the bonus disc was a wasted opportunity.

Quite honestly I think that goes for every rerelease except the Glasgow DVD 2. I've never known a band so endlessly reworked yet remaining so credible. If Simply Red got the same treatment they'd be massacred.

Michael Monkhouse  
#24 Posted : 21 March 2016 04:52:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
The band didn't seem interested.

Again, pretty much true for everything (except Bernard's involvement in 94 / 95). It was significant at http://forums.neworderon....aspx?g=posts&t=2944 where Steve goes through all the albums and includes Substance but not a single one of the London cash-ins. His accountant probably knows more about them than he does.
Fotzepolitic  
#25 Posted : 21 March 2016 05:19:26(UTC)
Fotz

Well anyway i won't be parting with my cash for this box set unless there's a lot of previously unseen , good quality, video footage of gigs or long lost tv appearances and rare tracks.I very much doubt though that there is any long lost footage of tv stuff.Most of the tv appearances over the years are out there now.Even stuff like Thieves Like Us on Southampton TV in 1983 or the same song again on Music Convoy in 1984 have been on YouTube for years now, though the Southampton TV thing could do with a good quality clip seeing the light of day.But i'm seriously fascinated to see what if any footage Steve has that's never been seen.And what rare tracks could there possibly be that even the modest New Order collector hasn't already got????? Even though Retro was a balls-up i just can't understand the point (other than money) of doing another box set if there's nothing on it that isn't already out thereConfused Confused Confused Confused