logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
the_blank_from_hell  
#26 Posted : 10 February 2016 02:29:20(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
A mixture of storage space and the feeling of being liberated from completeness-issues. Just because some executive at Warner decided to put out three 12"es of "Crystal"-remixes which I all rate as unnecessary and completely unrelated to the spirit of the orignal version, or two CD singles with World remixes, do I really have to sit on all this product? I also lost interest in edits as technology made it easy to do it for yourself.
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#27 Posted : 10 February 2016 02:36:31(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

To me, while they were on Factory, all their product were meant as a work of art too. All the releases made sense, even the remixes were good and worthwile. After the demise of Factory, their music was still good, but I don't think they put any effort in deciding which formats to release or who is going to remixe them. Most probably they have sticked to recommendations from Pete Tong.
Fotzepolitic  
#28 Posted : 10 February 2016 03:08:43(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post
A mixture of storage space and the feeling of being liberated from completeness-issues. Just because some executive at Warner decided to put out three 12"es of "Crystal"-remixes which I all rate as unnecessary and completely unrelated to the spirit of the orignal version, or two CD singles with World remixes, do I really have to sit on all this product? I also lost interest in edits as technology made it easy to do it for yourself.

To me, while they were on Factory, all their product were meant as a work of art too. All the releases made sense, even the remixes were good and worthwile. After the demise of Factory, their music was still good, but I don't think they put any effort in deciding which formats to release or who is going to remixe them. Most probably they have sticked to recommendations from Pete Tong.

Oh ok yeah i get the thing about wanting to be liberated from feeling the need to have every single release, totally get that.And yeah there was definitely a dip in quality control once Factory had bit the dust.A lot of the remixes post Factory have been totally unnecessary and, well, crap.There's the odd great remix here and there - regarding some of the Crystal remixes for example i thought the Lee Coombs one was excellent.So too ones like the K-Klass Reunited In A Day mix of Ruined and Oakenfold's Perfecto mix of World.And more recently the Hot Chip mix of Tutti Frutti.But the arguments over remixes has been done many times on these forums but in short i'd say 75% of the remixes post Factory have been quite pointless for the fans.Only the record company and the remixers themselves who grab some cash from them benefit.Yep, Pete Tong has a lot to answer for.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell on 10/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#29 Posted : 10 February 2016 03:59:58(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

On a positive note, my favourite London era remixes are:

Ruined in a Day (The Ambient mix)
World (Sexy Disco dub)
Spooky (Out of Order mix)
Nineteen63 (Light mix)
Blue Monday-95 (Hardfloor mix)
Waiting for the Sirens' Call (Planet Funk mix)
BLT (Richard X remix)

With them being on Mute right now, I think the quality of remixes has risen again. Definitely liked the two on the Restless 12", and also most of the Tutti Frutti-mixes sound quite good to me. But I don't think that the band cares about stuff like that anymore. They do the album and leave the rest to the record company, with old companions like Weatherall or Hot Chip being the exception.
keepitcoming  
#30 Posted : 10 February 2016 20:22:30(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
So , "movin on" is getting a few mentions, and collecting goes on, as exasperating as ever. The different and not so different versions , the art , the interviews, books, appearances, all the neworder family of stuff, but the one thing I still wish for are action figures. Early figures capturing the white button down short sleeved stars of joy division, then a sultry and hot second release with gillian, Barny shirtless and in hot pants , hook in pony tail and low slung bass ,Steven with a tank, and finally a special release -Bernard as Elvis with his mercedes. of course Jessica alba and Brittany Murphy from sin city on the same shelf eyeing the diorama of super sophistication. What the shoot the heck, I would even enjoy a slightly overweight Barney in a dance pose holding a glass of wine in one hand and a Beretta in the other
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#31 Posted : 10 February 2016 20:59:50(UTC)
keepitcoming

Apologies for gun reference, light sabre instead. A 24" Chewbacca with a 6" Bernard on his shoulders might be a quick sell-outHappy
We're like kestrels
Andy  
#32 Posted : 10 February 2016 21:32:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
So , "movin on" is getting a few mentions, and collecting goes on, as exasperating as ever. The different and not so different versions , the art , the interviews, books, appearances, all the neworder family of stuff, but the one thing I still wish for are action figures. Early figures capturing the white button down short sleeved stars of joy division, then a sultry and hot second release with gillian, Barny shirtless and in hot pants , hook in pony tail and low slung bass ,Steven with a tank, and finally a special release -Bernard as Elvis with his mercedes. of course Jessica alba and Brittany Murphy from sin city on the same shelf eyeing the diorama of super sophistication. What the shoot the heck, I would even enjoy a slightly overweight Barney in a dance pose holding a glass of wine in one hand and a Beretta in the other

Anatomically correct?
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#33 Posted : 10 February 2016 22:42:28(UTC)
Fotz

That was quite funny .So thanks for making me laugh on a cold February morning.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#34 Posted : 11 February 2016 13:41:53(UTC)
keepitcoming

no , Andy, unfortunately not anatomically correct, so you would presumably have to buy two JD sets so as to give Barney and Peter the mustachioed look to complete your collection.
We're like kestrels
Debaser  
#35 Posted : 11 February 2016 13:56:26(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Barny shirtless and in hot pants

Say what? Eek

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#36 Posted : 11 February 2016 14:30:19(UTC)
keepitcoming

Fotzepolitic, it is cold but always sunny in Navajo nation northern arizona,and beautiful .wool blanket winters.

Debaser- Barney wore short shorts in some BBC studio videos, he was cute,angry,and those hot pants were iconic.

Andy - I believe my imaginary Gillian action figure is ample of bosom, which is anatomic correct. she also likes to put hooky in the microwave with batman charzar
We're like kestrels
Michael Monkhouse  
#37 Posted : 15 February 2016 01:48:50(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Well if it's good enough for the Spice Girls...
I used to be a vinyl completist and would only buy other formats if they had exclusive shit e.g. I got all the RIAD formats but didn't need the Regret CD. No one gives a fuck that I did this. Not even me. I finally gave up because of space, quality and rip-off reasons. As for the Factory v London issues, http://forums.neworderon...ts&t=3085#post20143.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#38 Posted : 17 February 2016 00:05:39(UTC)
keepitcoming

Once again I am compelled to utterly disregard the formats of posting, and to make a fool of myself , and what better way than perplexing Mike M (sorry Andy )with this great idea-- what dreams of neworder, or of Gillian/hooky /Barney/Steven individually have come to bring joy to our slumbers, or nightmares to shake us up? Do dreams never end ? My latest dream is a corker, but perhaps now is not the time , or place
We're like kestrels
Michael Monkhouse  
#39 Posted : 17 February 2016 08:21:10(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

These threads always start like BBC News and end up like Daffy Duck. But seeing as you asked, my dreams normally involve the use of Cameron Diaz, Mel C and a shower attachment. Spotty, gawky Steve would come last (so would I).
Sauce  
#40 Posted : 17 February 2016 12:11:28(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Amazing thread Fotzepolitic with superb contributions from keep it coming and monkhouse. I have just found my cd of the best of 94 and it looks horrific - scratches and metal decay. Worst of all it said "see inlay for details?" and yeh that's the ? reference on cover continued. God it's Paul Morley doing some shit and it's bad. Anyway cheers Fotz for Other Two - loved Tasty Fish but album version not so good, Selfish great, You Can Fly brilliant every three years or so and my personal Other Two Best Song Ever - Hello :)
thanks 1 user thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Sage_  
#41 Posted : 18 February 2016 09:26:09(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
new picture of the duo in the studio.
UserPostedImage

It looks to me like they're creating new O2 music. Notice the sheet of paper Gillian has with lines of words.
Who knows, I won't make any assumptions just yet.
thanks 1 user thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#42 Posted : 18 February 2016 10:27:55(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The Best Of was total and utter fucking shit. Over a year since Republic and that was shit too and then a Christmas bundle featuring namby-pamby edits, BM 88 instead of the original and four ''''''''''''''''new'''''''''''''''' mixes offering sweet FA. To add insult to injury, liner notes that make Emma Bunton sound like Pavarotti - in 86 Hooky defended the Brotherhood cover cos he didn't understand sleeves with fucking essays on them. Sad, sad, sad.
The Other Two may make new music. Or they may not. It's hard to care. That shit of paper may be things for her to say next time she's interviewed.

Edited by user 18 February 2016 10:28:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

markreed  
#43 Posted : 18 February 2016 14:58:24(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Rather a lot of things to go through.

BLT-94 has a different ending and different (and sometimes re-sung vocals). R*R'94 and TF'94 have slightly different vocals. BS didn't like his vocal and the original tracks were before he had singing lessons in around 1988 or so (if you recall his awful phrasing, constantly being breathless and out of tune up to around 1987)... There's also apparently slightly different guitar on TF-94. Let's Go, obviously, was compete resung, new guitar, Barney keyboards, and the bass was recreated, or Hooky outtakes were pieced together ; the only member of the band involved in Let's Go-95 were Barney and Arthur Baker as I recall.

The best hidden O2 track is "Satisfied", which for some absurd reason is only on the US 1995 Innocence 12". It's not on the LTM reissues as Gillian didn't like it (I asked). But it is on tehir SOundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/the-other-two/satisfied

This is the best New Order remix, but I am biased. https://www.mixcloud.com...und-full-length-re-edit/
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#44 Posted : 18 February 2016 15:13:05(UTC)
Fotz

^ Yep Best Of was a crock of shit.I was living on a Kibbutz in Israel when it was released in December 94(?) .I took a bus trip to Tel Aviv especially to buy it.Picked up the cassette (no point buying the cd as i didn't have a portable cd player) in Tower Records and parted with my hard earned shekels and went and sat in some swanky shopping mall and listened to it on my Walkman.After listening to the whole cassette including those, erm, "remixed" versions of R&R, True Faith and BLT i wished i hadn't bothered.What a waste of money.And money was pretty hard to come by when you're living on a Kibbutz.Why did i bother going to live on a Kibbutz then? Good question, though the Israeli girls were fantasticSmile

Always found it surprising you could buy New Order music in Israel what with the old Nazi connotations with the name.They're, unsurprisingly, not very popular there.Have New Order ever played a gig in Israel? Nope.

As for the pic of Steve and Gillian in the studio - i bet Stephen's shit hot at getting rid of viruses from your laptop and the book Gillian has with her is 'Ching's Fast Food' which from googling is a book about Chinese food (no shit, Sherlock)

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 18 February 2016 15:21:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy  
#45 Posted : 18 February 2016 15:40:00(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post
Rather a lot of things to go through.

BLT-94 has a different ending and different (and sometimes re-sung vocals). R*R'94 and TF'94 have slightly different vocals. BS didn't like his vocal and the original tracks were before he had singing lessons in around 1988 or so (if you recall his awful phrasing, constantly being breathless and out of tune up to around 1987)... There's also apparently slightly different guitar on TF-94. Let's Go, obviously, was compete resung, new guitar, Barney keyboards, and the bass was recreated, or Hooky outtakes were pieced together ; the only member of the band involved in Let's Go-95 were Barney and Arthur Baker as I recall.

The best hidden O2 track is "Satisfied", which for some absurd reason is only on the US 1995 Innocence 12". It's not on the LTM reissues as Gillian didn't like it (I asked). But it is on tehir SOundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/the-other-two/satisfied

This is the best New Order remix, but I am biased. https://www.mixcloud.com...und-full-length-re-edit/

BLT-94 has more in common with the 1988 Married to the Mob arrangement than the original LP mix. They took away the MttM Do Do's after the first chorus, though.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#46 Posted : 19 February 2016 01:05:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Fucking Hell, I thought I used to be an obsessive. Hague's BLT would be definitive but he stupidly lost half the first instrumental break, presumably to Tighten Up (see what I did there?).
On the 2017 remix of Blue Moday there will be a new glitch around 3.17. It will not be the same glitch as on those shit remasters but should be just as fucking annoying. Official. As the prostitue said to the impotent guy, keep it up.
My favourite R and R remix is the so-called 12" on the 3" CD.

Edited by user 19 February 2016 04:25:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike  
#47 Posted : 24 February 2016 11:07:06(UTC)
ROCKET MICK

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Best thread since Lost Biros!Cool
thanks 1 user thanked ROCKET MICK for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 26/02/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#48 Posted : 26 February 2016 06:08:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I finally got to like a Rocket Mick thread. In the words of George Bernard Shaw, awesome.
Michael Monkhouse  
#49 Posted : 30 August 2016 05:54:37(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

NO comment. OTHER than TWO LPs in 2.5 DECADES and they're STILL JUNK. TRY ALL YOU WANT; FACE UP to the FACT: YOU'RE NO GOOD FOR ME. See what I did there?
ROCKET MICK on 31/08/2016(UTC)
negative1  
#50 Posted : 04 September 2016 12:19:52(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
It was a great liberation when I finally decided to keep only the original material and get rid of all the remixes and edits on various formats. So I just kept the Factory releases, the albums after that and the few CD singles where there is a b-side. And the UK 12"es for artwork reasons.

Out of interest did you sell some of your stuff because you needed the money or did you have problems with storage space? I don't get why some people ( i don't mean you but some people do) sell a lot of their old cd, vinyls etc if they don't need the money and don't have a problem with storage space.Even if you'll never listen to the stuff again, if you don't need the money or the storage space why part with the stuff?

i haven't quite done it yet.
but at some point i will sell of my collection.

it's just part of the endless clutter of my music collection.
i've done it with some of my stuff (movies), and laserdiscs and books.

it's just a sense of relief not having things around constantly reminding me of them,
at least to me.

and besides, now that most of that is digitized, it's a lot more accessible and useful to me.

later

Edited by user 04 September 2016 12:20:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/09/2016(UTC)