logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2016 06:11:33(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3073 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
thanks 4 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotz on 08/02/2016(UTC), The Shadow on 08/02/2016(UTC), Tanner on 09/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2016 06:45:10(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3620 time(s) in 2619 post(s)
Interesting.Great find , Andy.

Had a search about for it and it seems it was published back in November 2015 and you can buy it on Amazon for £13.48 or a little cheaper at The Guardian Bookshop at £11.99 Also Waterstones have it at a bit more expensive £14.99

I'm always on the look out for interesting new books to read so i'll probably snap up a copy of this.

edit: oh, Hive have it the cheapest i've found at £10.45

Edited by user 08 February 2016 06:46:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2016 06:54:33(UTC)
Fotz

Have ordered a copy from Hive.co.uk - £10.45 and free delivery (in UK at least) if you select standard delivery.Cheers again , Andy.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy on 08/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
The Shadow  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2016 09:27:41(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
This book has passed me by so excellent find. Have now orderd. Looks interesting about one of if not THE greatest album IMO.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2016 15:07:45(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Just ordered this --- how did we miss this when it came out???

Thanks, Andy!

Edited by user 08 February 2016 15:09:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2016 02:49:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
In the words of Bros AND The Spice Girls, Too Much.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
BazG  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2016 03:07:15(UTC)
BazG

Man

Was thanked: 276 time(s) in 208 post(s)
There's some new copies on Amazon via 3rd party sellers from £10.04 including postage.
thanks 1 user thanked BazG for this useful post.
Tanner  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2016 06:54:27(UTC)
Tanner

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Just purchased. Thanks for the heads up.
thanks 1 user thanked Tanner for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2016 08:44:40(UTC)
Fotz

My hive.co.uk account tells me my copy was dispatched today so looking forward to receiving it next day or twoSmile
negative1  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2016 14:40:38(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1152 post(s)
thanks for the tip on the book.

just ordered it here in the US as well.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2016 00:49:15(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Worth pointing out the author is one of the main movers at Savoy Books:

http://www.savoy.abel.co.uk/1people.html

Who were responsible for this:

http://www.discogs.com/Savoy-Hitler-Youth-Band-Blue-Monday-/release/3536473
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2016 05:25:03(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Having skimmed through it I can say that it's quite interesting, lots of very detailed information about the sessions and how it all came together.
thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 11/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
JG  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2016 11:12:07(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Friend of mine read this book recently and sent me the following 'review', I haven't got a copy yet, one for the plane to NYC in a few weeks.....

Just finished reading Michael Butterfield’s book about the recording of P,C & L. Although the book’s a bit odd in parts (the opening and closing chapters are about Butterfield’s own publishing career) the diary bit about the recording sessions is good, quite interesting.

In particular, interesting (in the context of the court case) how much input Gillian is reported to have had (not just a wonky table leg!). Also interesting is the impression you get of Hooky and Bernard being quite relaxed around each other, not competing egos at that time – the way Butterfield describes it, all the members of NO trusted each other with the production/mixing/lyric writing etc., took it all in turns etc. Confirms the view of Bernard as primary writer, but far from being the sole maestro at that stage. Also portrays Rob as a bit of a knob, but clearly a highly important element in the group dynamic – setting the tone and perhaps imperceptibly moderating the personality clashes that might come to the fore without him.

Anyway, worth a read.

The other book I mentioned was Lyndsay Reade’s book about her relationship with Tony Wilson. Very different to some of the other Factory histories – more personal, more paranoid, more hysterical in places. So, again, an interestingly different take on a well-known story.
thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
Andy on 11/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2016 15:05:32(UTC)
Fotz

^ yes i've read that Lyndsay Reade book about Tony Wilson- pretty good aye.

Still waiting for this new book to pop through the letterbox, hopefully in next day or two.
Fotzepolitic  
#15 Posted : 12 February 2016 04:44:25(UTC)
Fotz

Book popped through the letterbox today, yaySmile

Not started reading yet but have had a quick flick through - looks like it could be fairly interesting.Wonder if there'll be any confirmation of that old story about Bernard recording vocals and/or guitar wearing his white lab coatClown
Fotzepolitic  
#16 Posted : 12 February 2016 23:37:19(UTC)
Fotz

Amazing to think the recording of P,C & L took just 3 weeks or so.Though i guess paying out for studio time back in those days contributed to doing it as quick as reasonably possible.No problem for NO and many artists these days who have their own studios at home.

Mention in the introduction section of those films Charles Salem's No City Fun (soundtrack by Joy Division) and Malcolm Whitehead's JD short. Frustratingly i've still only seen bits of those in the Grant Gee JD film and the footage of JD at Bowden Vale youth club.Michael Butterworth says Malcolm Whitehead edited his JD film short when he lodged at Butterworth's mother's house.

Apparently no lyrics for the album had yet been written when NO went into the studio to record it.Bernard asked Butterworth to pick up books so he could get ideas for lyrics - all those hours i spent at the age of 15 trying to work out what Barney meant with the lyrics and all along he'd just nicked them from books! Doh
Fotzepolitic  
#17 Posted : 13 February 2016 10:38:02(UTC)
Fotz

About halfway through the book now - pretty good but i'd say only of interest to obsessive New Order fans, but i'm pretty obsessive so it gets the thumbs up from me.There's other bands i really like but probably wouldn't bother reading a whole book about how they made an album.

Yep, it certainly seems Gillian contributed a lot of work to P,C & L; as well as the synths and keyboards there's mentions of her playing the guitar on songs that i'd only ever assumed was Bernard.Also i think it was mentioned she did some programming and/or dubbing.So what do you say about that, Hooky?

Sounds like they had quite a few problems with some of their machines when doing the album.

Early on in the book Butterworth mentions Stephen was unhappy about Murder being left off the album.Haven't yet got to any bit in the book where more light is thrown on this - so there must have been a group vote on it and Stephen was outvoted? Maybe the others felt it wasn't strong enough a track to make the final cut? Maybe they thought it too similar in mood and sound to something like Ultraviolence? Or they just felt it didn't sit with the rest of the songs or the running order? This got me wondering if in a parallel world where Murder did make it on to the album where would it sit in the running order? I'd go for it on side two, either between Ultraviolence and Ecstasy or between Ecstasy and Leave Me Alone.Probably the latter.

Sorry, will try and hold back from posting any more spoilers.

Edited by user 13 February 2016 10:41:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

negative1  
#18 Posted : 13 February 2016 15:12:43(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1152 post(s)
ok, got the book yesterday, and finished it.

- this book is for hard core new order fans that want ALL the minor details going on, what they are wearing, what they are eating, what they are listening to , etc

the book is mostly made of 3 parts (not including the intro, and the extra stuff at the end)..

=======================
1 the diary

exactly what it says it is, there are even pictures of scans of the handwritten notes, and then in painstaking detail, all the internal and external events going on during the recording of the album

2 the mixing of the album

since the writer wasn't around when this was going on, this part was filled up by notes from band members, and other contributors.

to me this was the most interesting part, with details about the songs

3 the aftermath

details about the tour, and information about blue monday, and also stuff that the author was working on musically

=========================

honestly there is very little that is new information about the songs, and the album for most people.

however, there are details that might not have been revealed before.

=========================

unless you're a big fan of the album, and this era, you probably wouldn't enjoy this as much as people that were around then, or if it's their favorite.

i found listening to the album and tracks fit nicely along with reading the descriptions and details.

will be converting it a PDF and scanning it, and probably selling it off (or giving to a friend now that i'm done)

later

Edited by user 13 February 2016 15:14:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2016 02:24:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

On 23 April 2017, it will be exactly 31 years, some months, a fortnight and then a week or something since the release of State of the Nation. To commemorate this historical and indeed historic occasion, Hodder and Faber print 'How Many More Fucking Times?', an exclusive accunt by Richard Staines from Stoke. No one is in a better position to tell the tale as he once took a dump in a factory which is the same name etc etc.
'Peter Hook told me to fuck off once,' Dick boasts. 'His syntactical morphology of an imperative, intransitive phrasal verb pre-echoed - mea culpa, adumbrated - the Beckettian sylloligisms neophytically post-employed by anti-futuristic literature in the seventeenth century... I also met Gillian. She used to wear too much make-up and sit in the corner all day. This fascinating juxtaposition - being a part of yet apart from the material soil - would of course become a symbolic anthithesis of the Christian struggle for altruism and the Zen ideal of non-attachment.'
You can get a free pdf of the book or spend enough money to resolve third world debt on a signed copy.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Jonathan  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2016 03:25:01(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
On the one hand this sounds like it's right up my alley. On the other, I've never even opened the covers of "1. Top Class Manager".
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2016 05:33:53(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
On 23 April 2017, it will be exactly 31 years, some months, a fortnight and then a week or something since the release of State of the Nation. To commemorate this historical and indeed historic occasion, Hodder and Faber print 'How Many More Fucking Times?', an exclusive accunt by Richard Staines from Stoke. No one is in a better position to tell the tale as he once took a dump in a factory which is the same name etc etc.
'Peter Hook told me to fuck off once,' Dick boasts. 'His syntactical morphology of an imperative, intransitive phrasal verb pre-echoed - mea culpa, adumbrated - the Beckettian sylloligisms neophytically post-employed by anti-futuristic literature in the seventeenth century... I also met Gillian. She used to wear too much make-up and sit in the corner all day. This fascinating juxtaposition - being a part of yet apart from the material soil - would of course become a symbolic anthithesis of the Christian struggle for altruism and the Zen ideal of non-attachment.'
You can get a free pdf of the book or spend enough money to resolve third world debt on a signed copy.

bit 'arsh.Funny though.

You'll like this, Michael.Listen up - it's my story of how i discovered New Order and P,C & L Big Grin

Spring of 83 i was 14 and had heard Blue Monday on the radio a few times and quite liked it but went right off it when i saw New Order do it live on TOTP.Maybe at 14 i didn't realise they were playing it live and i just went right off the song and this new band New Order.In September 1983 Blue Monday re entered the UK charts and started getting played on the radio again. I found i did really like the song so went out and bought it, which was a job in itself as at that time i was uninitiated and couldn't at first spot the sleeve in the record shop racks .Eventually i worked it out that it was this black thing with holes in.Parted with my hard earned paper round cash and took the thing home.I played it a lot but that's as far as my interest in this band New Order went at that point.I was vaguely aware they had an accompanying album out with a painting of some flowers on the cover but had no desire to buy it or hear it at that point.

Everything changed forever one Saturday tea time in late October 1983 when by brother came home from town with an album he'd bought .It was that album with the flowers on the cover. Mildly interested i sat down as he put it on the record player.Within the first 30 seconds of the first track ( i was later to read on the disc's label it was Age Of Consent) i was totally transfixed and interested.This music was utterly unlike anything i'd heard in my life, it was just fantastic.Age Of Consent , to me, was a far superior song to Blue Monday.I think at that point i'd decided even if the rest of the album was shite i didn't care because Age Of Consent was so good. The rest of side one of the album played and i found the songs after AOC ok-ish but didn't have quite the impact that first song on the album had.Then my brother put side two on and this song played which had almost the same impact on me as AOC had.I worked out from the disc's label it was Your Silent Face.The music was incredible, i couldn't believe what i was hearing.I was gobsmacked.The rest of side two played out and i think i found the remaining 3 songs a bit so so.But at the end of this first time of hearing this album with the flowers on the front i was just speechless from those 2 songs Age Of Consent and Your Silent Face.Over the next days and weeks i played the album to death and started to love the other songs i'd at first found a bit so so. I basically claimed ownership of the record as my brother decided he didn't like it much - he was pissed off Blue Monday wasn't on it and felt the songs were nowhere near as good as Blue Monday.I was the opposite, i thought a lot of the songs were way better than Blue Monday.

Over the next few months i looked for any scrap of information i could find on New Order which was bloody difficult in those days as they were still in their mysterious and enigmatic era.Just before Christmas 1983 the Radio 1 evening session broadcast a recording of New Order live at the Rosehill Hotel , Kilkenny.This was my first introduction to songs like Ceremony, Temptation and Everything's Gone Green.I taped the concert and played it to death.Upon hearing it my brother commented "bloody ell they sound well shit live" I got what he was saying but i didn't care - i loved the tape.

And that's how it all started for me.Over the early months of 1984 i tracked down and bought every New Order record i could find in the record shops in town.I think the first one i bought was the green cover 12" of Ceremony followed by Confusion 12", Temptation 12", Movement, and the Factus 8 EP.After discovering they were previously Joy Division i then started finding and buying all the Joy Division records i could , starting with Closer.It was then that the itch and impatience for new New Order material began.In March 1984 i heard Thieves Like Us for the very first time and i thought the song was incredible, that long drawn out intro was the dog's bollocks.Annie Nightingale's Sunday night request show on Radio 1 was where i heard the song first but only managed to tape the last half of it and so tuned in the next week to see if she played it again.She didn't, but she did play Lonesome Tonight.This song was even better than Thieves Like Us.It was just fucking incredible.A week or two later Thieves Like Us was in the shops and i eagerly went into town and bought it- upon glancing that incredible sleeve for the first time i was just lost for words.

Such heady times and all just completely ingrained in my memory forever.Butterworth says Blue Monday was his epiphany.Mine without a shadow of a doubt was Age Of Consent. I feel i was really lucky to discover New Order at the time i did, i was mid teenage years and had been looking for a band i could really get into and has luck happened New Order were the one.And it was such a time to get into them -a time of their career when they were developing in such an exciting and innovative way. A part of me sometimes wishes i'd been around when Joy Division were, well i had been around but was too young to be aware of them, but you can't have everything.

The rest of my teenage years and the 80s was the height of my obsession with New Order.It all reached a peak with Technique.I had just turned 20 when Technique was released.It was the end of being a teenager, the end of the 80s and after Technique it was in a way my end of my absolute obsession with New Order.They've never topped Technique IMHO- that was the pinnacle of all they'd been working towards in those 80s years.

Well that was all a load of sentimental gush wasn't it and nobody gives a fuck how i got into New Order.But hey, i enjoyed taking the trip down memory lane which the Michael Butterworth book triggered and that's all that mattersSmile

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 17/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2016 05:48:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Awesome. I got into New Order when I saw Round and Round on TOTP - I was a PSB fan and they'd been going on about this super-cool band NO, but in those days there was fuck all technology like what there is now. My first exposure was Technique and Substance and quite honestly I'd say it was 80% downhill after that (JD excepted) but I was hooked and fucked. When I went to uni I couldn't drag all this shit around so (sad but true) I made a list of every single song from Inside The Line to Disappointed, located my favourite take and recorded everything at my friend's house. It took literally days when I could have been drinking Sainsbury's beer. Then I went to uni and listened to it without the beautiful artwork, ritual turntable and Factory-Hassie-Manchester etc bollocks, and I was a little disappointed myself (see what I did there?). I'm a fan but honestly, compilations can give a false impression of the quality and quantity of the actual product - go to Youtube and you could think they're bashing out a True Faith every 62 seconds instead of sitting on their fat arses for years.
No one gives a fuck about any of this either. But it's what forums are for.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotz on 15/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
tarbox23  
#23 Posted : 15 February 2016 07:36:02(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jonathan Go to Quoted Post
On the one hand this sounds like it's right up my alley. On the other, I've never even opened the covers of "1. Top Class Manager".

Really? I thought Top Class Manager was fascinating, curious as hell how an indie band struggles in the trenches, living off nearly nothing, focusing their resources on key spectacles and such. And interesting to learn more about the enigmatic Gretton. I realize it isn't for everyone, but for the obsessive factory records nutters here, it might be worth checking out.

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#24 Posted : 15 February 2016 14:19:00(UTC)
Fotz

So it's confirmed Bernard did indeed wear a white lab coat at one point during the sessions, ha that's funny.The coat belonged to Michael Johnson.

In the Dub It Up! part of the book some of Butterworth's thoughts (he's got help from a musician in this section in describing the songs) on the finished songs went over my head a bit - too much technical music wording.Quavers and semi-quavers,quaver patterns, "3/16 note delays", "5/16 note delays" , studio tech stuff, mixing techniques....got a bit lost with all that stuff about mixing techniques but i guess i was asking for it by reading a book about how an album was made.I'll come back to that section later and read it again to get my head round it.Butterworth gives his take in the Dub It Up! section of all the songs except Murder, rather annoyingly.Ok it didn't make the album but then neither did Blue Monday! He does mention Murder elsewhere in the book but in more than one place states that the Caligula sample is "Crawl! Crawl Crawl! I hate them!". I''d always thought it was "Crows! Crows! Crows! I hate them!" but hey ho.

Edited by user 15 February 2016 20:07:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jonathan  
#25 Posted : 17 February 2016 03:03:23(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tarbox23 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jonathan Go to Quoted Post

Really? I thought Top Class Manager was fascinating, curious as hell how an indie band struggles in the trenches, living off nearly nothing, focusing their resources on key spectacles and such. And interesting to learn more about the enigmatic Gretton. I realize it isn't for everyone, but for the obsessive factory records nutters here, it might be worth checking out.

I don't mean to say I found it boring; I literally have never opened the covers. I think after I bought it I stuck it somewhere safe, then later on I read a summary online of the new facts that were uncovered from reading it and that kind of took away the impetus to look at it. I still may do so some day :) It's sat next to the MC deluxe edition box and Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album (which is not actually all that complete)
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.