logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2016 17:51:52(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Listening to the Koishii & Hush mixes today it got me left with an itch to dig out some of the old Other Two stuff.

Always found the 2 albums they did a bit hit and miss, some great songs but a few that really shouldn't have made it out of the studio.

From the first album Selfish is by far the stand out track for me and was a great single, an all time pop classic (seriously!).A cracking, straightforward pop song with a lovely melody and a great vocal from Gillian.I probably like it so much still as it reminds me of great times around late 1993 when i jacked in a shit job to go and live on a Kibbutz in Israel for a while.It just brings back great memories of that time.Great vid for Selfish too.Tasty Fish was alright, maybe not sounding quite as good these days however as it did back in 91.There was one or two good remixes on the CD and vinyl.Think it may have been the O.T. Mix 12" on the CD single i preferred from the original mix (the Pascal Gabriel mix?) back then and liked the Almond Slice mix also.Can't recall if there was another mix on the 12" vinyl that wasn't on the CD single but haven't dug out my vinyl copy, only the CD.Looked up the video to Tasty Fish, kind of funny to see it again- a young Gillian walking all through the sped up video of a journey around what i assume are the roads around Macclesfield.Of the rest of the songs on the first album only The Greatest Thing, Movin' On and Loved It(the other track) did much for me.Loved It was a wry look back on Factory i always thought, with a lot of samples from the Play At Home tv doc about Factory from 1984.

I think i'd rate the second album above the first.Opening track You Can Fly still stands up fairly well. Looking up the sleeve notes i see it's Melanie Williams singing on the track, I don't remember realising it was her , i just remember it wasn't Gillian.Wasn't Melanie Williams the lady singing on Sub Sub's big hit Ain't No Love? Think it's her also on One Last Kiss but i'm not a big fan of that track.Superhighways is a top tune, really really like it.Kind of melancholic summery vibe with the " Along the Superhighways of July" lyric.Video was quite funny if i recall, doesn't it start with a bloke stuck in his car in the carwash and the windows won't wind up or something? Of the rest of the tracks The River, Unwanted and Cold Feet i like.

IMHO you could just about make one good album from the two.A bit harsh on our favourite musical couple but sorry, there yer go.

Of all the side projects i think the only one that i could see possibly doing another album sometime in the future would be The Other Two and i think Steve and Gillian could still come up with a few great tunes.Can't see Bernard and Johnny Marr ever doing more Electronic stuff, i think that's been and gone now really and i don't have any particular desire for new Electronic material anyhow.As for Revenge and/or Monaco, well.... Hooky doesn't seem particularly interested in writing any new songs whatsoever anytime soon and can't say i'd be that desperate to hear them anyway.But yeah, i'd be interested to hear some new stuff from The Other Two at some point one day though that won't be soon what with New Order being pretty full on for the foreseeable future, or this year at least.

Edited by user 06 February 2016 17:56:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Sage_ on 16/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Sponsor
keepitcoming  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2016 05:10:20(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Thanks for the revisit and reminders . Movin ' On is still a fave for me - their songs Remind me of st etienne' s and Sarah cracknell's songs .superhighways was most expensive cd I have ever bought. I expect new order to stay focused on enjoying their lives, their tours, new ideas, and blow us away again with awesome new songs. What a fabulously wonderful world to be aware of , to be part of.
We're like kestrels
thanks 2 users thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Fotz on 07/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2016 10:41:36(UTC)
Fotz

I'm sure years ago i had an mp3 of The Other Two's theme tune for America's Most Wanted or something but can't for the life of me find it nowConfused

Don't recall ever seeing this before.Zoe Ball interviewing (and chasing around Paris) Steve and Gillian.Must have been around the time of the first album.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2016 02:00:59(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I remember that vid. Late '93 cos - well no one gives a fuck why I remember. Late 93 anyway.
I played the first album a lot in the mid 90s, but only cos I was a geek and being the most recent new set I hadn't had the chance to play it to death. Even as a superfan I found it hard to get excited - the singles were more Debbie Gibson than Donna Summer, and the instrumentals had none of the personailty of Elegaia or even Free Will. As with Revenge, you suspected no one would've cared much without the NO link. (I also loved the way every reviewer had to point out what the name meant. It's like 'The Beatles', when every article explains just why it became known as The White Album. I think I'd've gotten there myself.) The best songs were / are Greatest Thing and Movin' On, which was considered as the second single (fans got to hear the Moby mix on Selfish before the original on the LP).
The second album I picked up mid-price and played a couple of times before returning to Italy and leaving it in the UK, where it still is now unless my family's chucked it out. Must be the NO-related release I know least of all.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotz on 08/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:27:56(UTC)
Fotz

Yes! Found it on YouTube - The Other Two's old (from 1988 to 1996) theme tune for America's Most Wanted.Knew i hadn't imagined it.Lost the mp3 years ago it seems but i've just clip grabbed it from this.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 08/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:36:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

IMHO you could just about make one good album from the two.A bit harsh on our favourite musical couple but sorry, there yer go.

Of all the side projects i think the only one that i could see possibly doing another album sometime in the future would be The Other Two

Same goes for RTP/B-sides and Sirens/Lost.
My favouritemusical couple is Melanie C's shoulderblades.
It's interesting that The Other Two have never been officially closed like JD (yes, I know) and Revenge. There's the small matter of being married, but in classic NO style they have for the last 7 years or hinted at a third spurt (LP, EP(s)) but nothing emerged except Swing... Electronic were never really closed either - on TOTP Bernard said he wanted to work with Johnny again, and they were interviewd together for that shitty Best Of, when Johnny suggested they could have a future in instrumentals. They played together at Jodrell bank in 2013 too. All total bollocks of course, FA ever happens, but I share info as I am Michael and I am good.
As for BL, I can only assumer the second album morphed into MC... Revenge are dead and buried and the world is a better place for it. Ditto Freebass, I guess. Hooky and Pottsy still occasionally work together in the Light and Hooky has toyed with the idea of new material but I wouldn't hold my breath, partly cos he's touring like fuck, mainy cos his singing and songwriting skills are, um, debatable. I got the impression he was just saying it because he didn't want to be labelled as yet another dinosaur, especially after the warm MC reception.
PS Why do I write all this? No one gives a fuck.

ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC), 79order on 01/09/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:47:54(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Wasn't Melanie Williams the lady singing on Sub Sub's big hit Ain't No Love?

Yes.
Sub Sub and Bernard Sumer's 'This Time I'm Not Wrong' pisses all over Raise The Pressure, too. Funny old world innit.
Too Crazy Cowboys, anyone? https://www.youtube.com/...QWlJRDj6KHQfb51WRMtD0W_v

Edited by user 08 February 2016 03:50:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:19:54(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
. Even as a superfan I found it hard to get excited - the singles were more Debbie Gibson than Donna Summer, and the instrumentals had none of the personailty of Elegaia or even Free Will..

Yeah Debbie Gibson could easily have sung Selfish but i still love the song.And yep, the instrumentals were pretty forgettable except for the great America's Most Wanted theme and the Making Out theme.I remember vaguely seeing a few episodes of Cold Feet maybe late 90s/early 00s and thinking the theme tune and some incidental music sounded like something Steve and Gillian would knock up.Wasn't til some years later i learned it actually was them that did it .There's the track Cold Feet on the first album but don't think that was used in the Cold Feet tv series, was it? May have got that wrong, dunno.But like i said earlier most of their instrumentals should never have made it out of the studio or if they did they should have been left as incidental music on whatever tv show they were used on.Certainly not good enough to stick on an album

....Movin' On, which was considered as the second single (fans got to hear the Moby mix on Selfish before the original on the LP).

Had never heard that Moby mix but then i didn't buy the 12" of Selfish, i just have the CD single .I found the mix on YouTube- didn't do a lot for me but thanks for the heads up

As for BL, I can only assumer the second album morphed into MC...

In one interview around the release of MC Bernard said that the idea for Academic came from an old demo from years ago he and Phil C had done and that had got buried on his PC until Bernard stumbled across it one day when he was having a clear out. So it's probably an old Bad Loo song- you can well imagine it as a Bad Loo song i think.An above average for Bad Loo song but a Bad Loo song nonetheless.Restless as well would quite easily have sat on a Bad Loo album.

Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:37:32(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Thanks for the Head's Up, as the man with two dicks said to the prostitute.
I remember hearing the la-la-la bit of Innocence in Cold Feet and pointing it out to my sister. I don't remember her exact words. Something about me needing to get out more. (This reminds me of the NME review of Best Of: If you can tell between R+R 94 and the origial, you need to get out more. And I could and I did.)
I don't have much info on the soundtracks. Their official page used to add instrumental bits occasionally and include info for train spotters, but it's disappeared. You can find some (maybe all) of them - without the info - at https://soundcloud.com/the-other-two. There was also Crackers, shortly after WFTSC.
MC is far dancier than BL (more searing, in-depth analysis from Bob's bastard son) but after NCAT Bernard said he wanted to do an EP as BL but it was too synthy. More bollocks from Bernard, and even more bolocks to me for remembering.

Edited by user 08 February 2016 04:40:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:55:54(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah i remember being able to tell the difference between R&R Stephen Hague single edit from 89 and the R&R 94 mix ( though i can't recall if the 94 mix was Hague's work as well) I can't remember off the top of my head now mind what the difference was, although i think the 94 mix was slightly inferior.

I've never got round to tracking down the music The Other two did for Cracker or Common As Muck.Is it worth me bothering?

This is actually the version of the Making Out theme used at the end of one of the episodes of the programme in 1989.Different (and much shorter) than the version on the Round & Round CD single (the Vanishing Point:Making Out mix)

Michael Monkhouse  
#11 Posted : 08 February 2016 05:13:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah I recorded that off the Beeb with VHS. Well as long as I was happy.
The difference is the drums are removed from the last chorus break on '94. And yes, they're all Hague's ''''''''''''work'''''''''''' and they all sound almost exactly the same as his originals - BLT OST (Factory cassette too), True Faith / 1963, R+R. Well worth the salary.
I'd only dig out the sountracks if you're an obsessive. Quite honestly I was hoping for some gem (in terms of rarity if not quality) on the LTM rereleases but maybe there were copyright problems.
I've spent more time talking about the Other Two today than in the last 5 years put together. This is offensive to Melanie C.
Fotzepolitic  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2016 05:49:40(UTC)
Fotz

I just looked up Round & Round 94, i hadn't listened to it since...ooooh.....1994? But that's because i only ever bought Best Of on cassette and that's long been consigned to the attic.I didn't bother looking it up on Spotify or whatever because half the time Spotify and suchlike stream those kind of Greatest Hits the version they que up aren't the versions they claim.So e.g Round & Round 94 on Best Of on Spotify is probably actually Round & Round 89 Stephen Hague or even the original Technique version.I found a version on YouTube claiming to be the 94 mix.Not sure what you mean about the drums removed from the last chorus break or i missed it i think.But i'm sure it was the 94 version because Hague added a tiny little noise lasting about half a second just before the second verse.What a busy day that must have been for the lad.The BLT Hague mix that was on the Factory cassette that came with an issue of Select magazine around 91 was pretty good i thought, i like that version.Good version of Cath Carroll's Moves Like You on that cassette also.True Faith 94 was shite though- why bother tinkering with the original 7" edit from 87? The mind boggles.

Edited by user 08 February 2016 05:51:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#13 Posted : 08 February 2016 06:39:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

why bother tinkering with the original 7" edit from 87? The mind boggles.

MONEY.
Debaser  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2016 06:57:11(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
But i'm sure it was the 94 version because Hague added a tiny little noise lasting about half a second just before the second verse.

Wow. I am feeling utterly out-new-ordered (and other two'd) by you two.
I used to think I was a fan but you guys are (players) in a whole different league! Eek

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 08/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Andy  
#15 Posted : 08 February 2016 07:22:30(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
I remember at the time ('94) Hague speaking about the new versions having less reverb. Tastes had changed since the '80's and a dryer sound would bring the songs more "up to date".
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 08 February 2016 07:34:43(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I remember reading that too. It's all bollocks though cos they sounded 99.9999999999999999999999999999% exactly the fucking same.
Andy on 08/02/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2016 10:58:09(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I remember at the time ('94) Hague speaking about the new versions having less reverb. Tastes had changed since the '80's and a dryer sound would bring the songs more "up to date".

Now you say that i think i know what you mean, i think i did notice an overall difference in sound on R&R 94.Same with True Faith 94.Personally i found that dryer sound a bit shit really.

Edited by user 08 February 2016 11:24:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Like No Other  
#18 Posted : 08 February 2016 13:59:05(UTC)
Like No Other

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 40 post(s)
An instrumental version of Cold Feet (from the 2nd album) was the theme tube for the TV pilot, for the actual series it was replaced by Space (Female of the species). Instrumental version of "New Horizons" was the theme for "Common as Muck". Thanks for re-kindling the interest Hi
thanks 1 user thanked Like No Other for this useful post.
Spittingcat  
#19 Posted : 08 February 2016 15:00:03(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
I like the instrumentals on the albums, but agree that, with hindsight, the first album needed a few more songs.

I want a third album now… or even better, Gillian's vocals on a few more New Order songs.
thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2016 03:01:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
But i'm sure it was the 94 version because Hague added a tiny little noise lasting about half a second just before the second verse.

I used to think I was a fan but you guys are (players) in a whole different league! Eek

I was obsessive collector till 96-ish when I gave up, partly 'cos living outside the UK made it hard to get info and releases (the Net was pathetic back then), but also 'cos I was tired of 519489986 rehashes for each newbie, which was usually average at best.

Edited by user 09 February 2016 03:02:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#21 Posted : 09 February 2016 06:30:55(UTC)
Fotz

I was obsessive collector till 96-ish when I gave up, partly 'cos living outside the UK made it hard to get info and releases (the Net was pathetic back then), but also 'cos I was tired of 519489986 rehashes for each newbie, which was usually average at best.

I've never been a collector.That's just a ridiculously impossible job/hobby.I mean, on Discogs there's about 16 different releases for The Other Two's Selfish alone- London releases, Qwest releaes, Promos, various different CDs, 12"s, cassettes..... the list is endless, well nearly endless, it ends at 16.Some of the New Order albums have 50+ different variants.Feck's sake, who on earth has the time and money to collect all these? Feck that.

Andy  
#22 Posted : 09 February 2016 07:29:57(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)

I've never been a collector.That's just a ridiculously impossible job/hobby.I mean, on Discogs there's about 16 different releases for The Other Two's Selfish alone- London releases, Qwest releaes, Promos, various different CDs, 12"s, cassettes..... the list is endless, well nearly endless, it ends at 16.Some of the New Order albums have 50+ different variants.Feck's sake, who on earth has the time and money to collect all these? Feck that.

I started buying New Order releases in 1984. It wasn't nearly as daunting then. At the time, I just wanted every track. I then moved on to different versions of tracks. Then CD versions started appearing. It didn't seem obsessive as I was always buying other artists as well. Like Señor Miguel Casa de Monje, I tapered off in the late nineties. All the variants of Blue Monday-'95 were the proverbial straw.

I still buy one of everything but avoid vinyl unless it's exclusive.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#23 Posted : 09 February 2016 07:41:22(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I started buying New Order releases in 1984. It wasn't nearly as daunting then. At the time, I just wanted every track. I then moved on to different versions of tracks. Then CD versions started appearing. It didn't seem obsessive as I was always buying other artists as well. Like Señor Miguel Casa de Monje, I tapered off in the late nineties. All the variants of Blue Monday-'95 were the proverbial straw.

I still buy one of everything but avoid vinyl unless it's exclusive.

1984, yeah that's around the time i started buying New Order stuff.I'll tend to just buy the standard releases, for example with Tutti Frutti i bought the Mute UK cd single and the Mute UK 12" and that's it.I'm not going to piss about tracking down promos, one- track radio CDRs or imports with a different code if it's got the versions i've already got.Wouldn't have minded grabbing one of those Republic Limited Run things in the orange soft pak back in the day but i never saw one or if i did at a Record Fair or something it was too pricey to remotely justify buying.

the_blank_from_hell  
#24 Posted : 10 February 2016 01:59:05(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
It was a great liberation when I finally decided to keep only the original material and get rid of all the remixes and edits on various formats. So I just kept the Factory releases, the albums after that and the few CD singles where there is a b-side. And some of the UK 12"es for artwork reasons.

Edited by user 10 February 2016 02:15:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2016 02:13:53(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post
It was a great liberation when I finally decided to keep only the original material and get rid of all the remixes and edits on various formats. So I just kept the Factory releases, the albums after that and the few CD singles where there is a b-side. And the UK 12"es for artwork reasons.

Out of interest did you sell some of your stuff because you needed the money or did you have problems with storage space? I don't get why some people ( i don't mean you but some people do) sell a lot of their old cd, vinyls etc if they don't need the money and don't have a problem with storage space.Even if you'll never listen to the stuff again, if you don't need the money or the storage space why part with the stuff?