logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DJFairborne77  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2015 12:15:16(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I know the 2008 re-issues (of the 5 Factory-era albums) had their fair share of initial problems, which was a shame, as the actual idea behind them was quite good, a 2-CD set with the album remastered & a bonus disc of remixes/rarities plus a little booklet inside. I have all 5 & maybe I was lucky & got the later batch as they all sound ok to me. My ones didn't have the outer plastic slip-case on them btw.

Anyway, I was wondering if they'll ever re-release the London-era albums in special 2-CD sets? "Republic" from 1993 is surely overdue to be remastered & the 2nd CD could include some of the rare remixes & other rare tracks from the time-period. As I'd say this era was from 1993 - 1995, they could include the "Let's Go" (b-side to "1963" in 1995) & Vicious Circle (New Order Mix) (cassette only b-side to "Ruined In A Day" in 1993).

Next up & "Get Ready" from 2001 would be good to also do, as the 2nd disc could have all the b-sides from the era, such as "Sabotage", "Behind Closed Doors, "Player In The League" & "Such A Good Thing", plus the cover of "Vietnam" they did for a charity album in 2003.

Finally, is there anything left over from the "Waiting For The Sirens' Call"-era that we've not heard of yet? I remember there were a few remixes spread across various different download stores at the time, such as a version of "Jetstream", without Ana Matronic on it, was it called 'The Bunker Mix'? Also, there was a slightly different version of 'The Glimmers Dub' of "Krafty" on the 12" single; it's a bit longer than the CD version IIRC.

So, to sum-up, would it be good to have 2-CD remastered re-issues of the London-era albums, "Republic", "Get Ready" & "Waiting For The Sirens' Call"? Or is it a rather pointless exercise & especially after the problems back in 2008, with the Factory-era albums? Personally, I'd like 2-CD sets of these 3 albums, as it would be quite nice to have & a good companion to the Factory-era ones.

Edited by user 22 January 2015 12:17:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2015(UTC), Mike C. on 23/01/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
NotAMod  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2015 02:27:23(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Yeah properly remastered and expanded versions of The London Years would be welcome.

I'd guess such reissues are probably not a priority for the band at the moment because they've just signed with Mute and are concentrating on completing the new album. Hooky is obviously pretty busy doing his own thing with The Light. The old label Warners - well after the initial handling of The Factory Years bonus discs - I'd be surprised if they suddenly get super-proactive over reissuing the remaining LPs but who knows maybe with the right project co-ordinator and resources this time they'll deliver. My guess is we'll see them but probably not for another few years yet.

Get Ready has the potential for the most interesting bonus disc as there were a myriad of mixes, remixes and one-off songs (Temptation '98, Brutal, Here To Stay, Such A Good Thing) from that era. Perhaps WFTSC and Lost Sirens could be reissued as one deluxe package with a bonus disc of remixes or a live show of the era (Hyde Park '05?) thrown in. The only problem with a Republic bonus disc is that bar the rarities you mentioned it would probably be a retread of remixes already commonly available. There are a lot of good soundboard recordings from around that time... perhaps a bonus DVD of Montreux '93?

It's a good topic to start though because it gives fans the opportunity to say what they might like to see in these reissue if they ever do appear.

Coincidentally James are soon to be reissuing Laid/Wah Wah - now that's how you do a reissue.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2015(UTC)
DJFairborne77  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2015 03:44:08(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Man

Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
Coincidentally James are soon to be reissuing Laid/Wah Wah - now that's how you do a reissue.

Hey, now that's a lovely re-issue! Imagine doing something similar like that for any of the New Order albums, that would be great! But, I do wonder if the fanbase are slightly not that positive about re-issues anymore, especially after some of the problems over the past few years, which is understandable. But then again, if it was a decent enough set with some really good bonus stuff, then I'm sure some of us would like to buy it.

I guess at the moment though, most fans just want some new material & not more re-issues/re-releases, which is fair enough!...

thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2015(UTC)
Mike C.  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2015 10:11:36(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Back during the RECYCLE project I was hoping for a progression into that era. I think the RECYCLE 2.0 from Negative1 has ended.

I would kill for a remastered Republic. Call me crazy, but it is IMO one of the best albums. I think at times it fails in its ambitions, but Spooky, Everyone Everywhere, World, and Special are fantastic, and in real need of a careful remastering.

The lack of b-sides is disappointing.

Get Ready would also be a very welcome 2-disc collection, though Recycle pretty much took care of that for me. Forever grateful.

Edited by user 23 January 2015 10:12:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2015(UTC)
DJFairborne77  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2015 16:22:14(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Man

Originally Posted by: Mike C. Go to Quoted Post
I would kill for a remastered Republic. Call me crazy, but it is IMO one of the best albums. I think at times it fails in its ambitions, but Spooky, Everyone Everywhere, World, and Special are fantastic, and in real need of a careful remastering.

I agree with you, as "Republic" has always been one of my favourite New Order albums. I've never understood why so many fans dislike it, as all 4 singles were great & "Everyone Everywhere" is an underrated gem. The lack of b-sides was a shame, but there were some good remixes from the time; Fire Island Mix of "Regret", Perfecto Mix of "World (The Price Of Love)" & K-Klass Mix of "Ruined In A Day" to name but a few.

Some fans say the album is too electronic & not enough guitar, but then again, some say the same about "Technique". New Order have always been a mixture of an electronic & guitar-sound, with some albums/eras one more than the other. If both "Technique" & "Republic" were more electronic/synth-based, then they made up for this with the next album, "Get Ready", which was far more guitar-based & more rock sounding etc.

I hope the new album will be a mixture of both their electronic/guitar sound, but if it's either more in one way or the other I won't mind, as if they can pull off another great comeback single like "Regret", "Crystal" or even "Krafty", then that'll be great etc.

Edited by user 23 January 2015 16:24:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2015(UTC)
Who? Order  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2015 21:53:56(UTC)
Who? Order

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Funny as I should read this when I compiled a deluxe edition 2CD set of my own to listen to
on my headphones at work.

It is an consistent, enjoyable and EASY listen.

I have my "deluxe" edition sorted in to two discs with artwork based on the orange/blue text
"The limited edition..." packaging and subtitled accordingly.
_

Disc 1: "Limited edition..."
Orange w/ blue type with standard album.

Disc 2: "The second disc..."
Reversed artwork on Blue cover w/ orange type.

01. Regret (Fire Island Mix)
02. Ruined In A Day (Reunited In A Day)
03. Vicious Circle (New Order Mix)
04. World (Perfecto Radio Edit)
05. Spooky (Night Tripper Mix)
06. True Faith-94 (Perfecto Radio Edit)
07. 1963-95 (Arthur Baker Remix) *5:06
08. Let's Go (Nothing For Me)
09. Regret (Sabres Slow 'n Low Mix) *6:42
10. Ruined In A Day (The Ambient Mix)
11. Vicious Circle (Mike Haas Mix)
12. World (The Brothers In Rhythm Mix)
13. Spooky (Stadium Mix)
14. True Faith-94 (TWA Grim Up North Mix)

TRT: 78:29
_

No fucking blue Monday-95 to muck it up and I opted for the Sabres edit versus the more
"appropriate" New Order mix as it flows better in the second half of the disc.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 28 January 2015 21:54:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Who? Order for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2015(UTC), ruskprick on 29/01/2015(UTC)