logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
confusion  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2014 12:35:07(UTC)
confusion

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 121 post(s)
UserPostedImage

New Order
1981-1982

DETAILS
Format: 12" Vinyl
Label: Rhino/Warner Bros.
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
More Info:

Also known by its catalog number, 'Factus 8" or "1981-Factus 8-1982" is a five-track EP released by New Order in November 1982 on Factory Records. The EP is frequently viewed as a bridge from the group's Joy Division past towards the more electronic sound they would become famous for. The sleeve was designed by Peter Saville and uses a painting from his then-girlfriend Martha Ladly.

Track List:
Side A "Everything's Gone Green" (2014 Remastered Version), "Procession" (2014 Remastered Version), "Mesh" (2014 Remastered Version) SIDE B "Temptation" (2014 Remastered Version), "Hurt" (2014 Remastered Version)

Quelle: Record Store Day
thanks 2 users thanked confusion for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2014(UTC), fac51 on 21/10/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Jcp7  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2014 16:40:25(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 642 time(s) in 539 post(s)
Spending time remastering 5 tracks to put them on vinyl, Confused
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/10/2014(UTC)
No Barcode  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2014 18:31:55(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Do they sell such things in America? There are no stores here that sell even CDs... Unless we're talking about used record shops.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2014 19:21:13(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
i remember , perhaps incorrectly, that it came out before pc&l in the usa, and then movement came after that , so it was a more terrific intro to new order over here .
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2014 04:09:38(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Thanks for the heads up, Nobby.

Seems to be US Black Friday only at the moment with no listing for the UK/European version yet. They definitely ran it last year though. Looks like a nice item and providing it isn't ludicrously limited I'd love the chance to grab a copy. The JD Ideal For Living reissue which came out earlier this year seemed to be produced in large enough numbers which meant it didn't end up being all that exclusive (goes for £10-20 these days) so hopefully it will be the same for this. They finally seem to have taken the criticism of RSD on board and are now producing large enough numbers for most fans who make a reasonable effort to grab a copy.

That EP is definitely one of my favourite New Order releases and takes me right back to discovering the Canadian import CD in Virgin Megastore back in the day. I believe it had the track listing swapped so it began with the 12" version of Temptation rather than Everything's Gone Green and it was the only release to get the 12" versions of Temptation/Hurt on CD until the Movement Collector's Edition in 2008. The reissue quite rightly has the original American running order.

On a separate note, I was in HMV on Oxford Street the other day and in the vinyl rack spotted two copies of the limited edition clear vinyl Movement reissue going for £16.99. It didn't have the sticker my give-away copy had (to celebrate the opening of the store) but did have the "limited clear vinyl" one. From other stories I've read on here of surplus copies being flogged in Manchester, Scotland etc. there were clearly much more than the original 100 copies manufactured.

So if you're in London and looking for a clear Movement, pop along to 363 Oxford St...

Edited by user 21 October 2014 04:11:28(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy

thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/10/2014(UTC), fac51 on 21/10/2014(UTC)
confusion  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2014 06:06:51(UTC)
confusion

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 121 post(s)
According to Record Store Day Germany there will be a record store day on 28.11.2014 in Germany. Black Friday is an american thing. So it didn't happen the last years in Europe. They do it now because of requests, but they don't want to do a big promotion for it and establish it. They think in Europe we don't need all shit which comes over from America. Big Grin

Quote:
Wir wollen aber aus dem Black Friday keinen zweiten RECORD STORE DAY machen und wir wollen auch keine Szenen wie in nordamerikanischen Shopping Malls.

In diesem Sinne, laßt es knistern! Wir freuen uns auf: NEW ORDER, THE RAMONES, LEE HAZLEWOOD, METALLICA, AFGHAN WHIGS, ED SHEERAN, CHVRCHES und THE BEATLES! uva.

Edited by user 21 October 2014 06:09:56(UTC)  | Reason: quote added

thanks 2 users thanked confusion for this useful post.
fac51 on 21/10/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 21/10/2014(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2014 11:33:19(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

Probably won't bother trying to get this - the (2014 Remastered Version) thing makes me a bit concerned that they're going to re-release everything under the same tag, I don't mind them remastering the three albums after Technique but there's been enough re-releases over the last 10 years.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/10/2014(UTC)
Aracri  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2014 12:02:19(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
I took many years to get this EP (until before eBay more exactly). Never released in Brazil. The first time I saw a copy from Factus 8 was in the early 90s: I was in a game store that had a little imported CDs section then I saw "BBC Radio One" and "1981-1982" on a shelf. It looks strange, but at that time few people in Brazil had a CD player and I wasn't one of them. My father gave my first CD player around 1994/1995, there was no internet yet in my country, neither e-commerce, then I came back to the same store to order both discs. Unfortunately, "1981-1982" was already out of catalogue. When eBay came out, my first purchase was Factus 8 (US vinyl). One of my happiest New Order's fan moments. Smile

Edited by user 21 October 2014 12:32:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/10/2014(UTC)
steinomite  
#9 Posted : 23 October 2014 06:20:17(UTC)
steinomite

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Just thought I would add that, per the downloadable PDF listing of Black Friday releases, the record will be on clear vinyl.

Thanks,
Mike
thanks 1 user thanked steinomite for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2014(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#10 Posted : 26 October 2014 06:12:15(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Masterpiece!

My cousin bought a copy in europe in the 80`s. Mesh and Temptation are my favorities on the EP.

Listened to it in 1990 for the first time.
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2014(UTC)
markreed  
#11 Posted : 26 October 2014 11:59:15(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Clear vinyl? How bloody depressing every Record Store Day is, as another pointless NO or JD reissue comes up which is "Remastered" and in coloured vinyl. The band never went in for this kind of shit when Factory was running, probably because they couldn't afford it... and couldn't be bothered.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#12 Posted : 27 October 2014 04:42:32(UTC)
NotAMod

Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post
The band never went in for this kind of shit when Factory was running, probably because they couldn't afford it... and couldn't be bothered.

Yes they did. Factory did weird and wonderful one-off releases all the time:

- Those useless but very cool DAT tapes (JD Substance, NO Substance & Technique),
- Gatefold Substance limited to 1000 copies,
- Statue of "Little Lewie",
- Twelve Inches of New Order plastic ruler,
- Blue Monday '88 flicker book etc. etc.

Factory didn't last long enough to get into the 'reissue business' as we know it today but they almost certainly would have if they survived. All labels do it and Joy Division/New Order have the sort of back catalogue many majors would kill for; as we know Warners won that particular prize. It's just a shame they've not always treated it with the respect it deserves or the potential it has to be handled correctly.

I reckon the odd vinyl reissue is harmless enough so long as a) the item is well made and b) the label produces enough to enable fans to grab a copy at a reasonable price. The more recent reissues and there have only been two in the past year I.e. Movement and the JD Ideal For Living EP seemed to have been produced in high enough numbers so everyone interested could grab one. The previous problem with RSD as every fan well knows was they didn't manufacture enough so Ebay touts would end up fleecing people.

The 1981-1982 EP was a genuine milestone release for New Order's career and has not been re-released in its original form since the first time over 30 years ago.

This item's welcome enough for me...
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
markreed  
#13 Posted : 27 October 2014 11:36:32(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
The band never went in for this kind of shit when Factory was running, probably because they couldn't afford it... and couldn't be bothered.

Yes they did. Factory did weird and wonderful one-off releases all the time:

- Those useless but very cool DAT tapes (JD Substance, NO Substance & Technique),
- Gatefold Substance limited to 1000 copies,
- Statue of "Little Lewie",
- Twelve Inches of New Order plastic ruler,
- Blue Monday '88 flicker book etc. etc.

Factory didn't last long enough to get into the 'reissue business' as we know it today but they almost certainly would have if they survived. All labels do it and Joy Division/New Order have the sort of back catalogue many majors would kill for; as we know Warners won that particular prize. It's just a shame they've not always treated it with the respect it deserves or the potential it has to be handled correctly.

I reckon the odd vinyl reissue is harmless enough so long as a) the item is well made and b) the label produces enough to enable fans to grab a copy at a reasonable price. The more recent reissues and there have only been two in the past year I.e. Movement and the JD Ideal For Living EP seemed to have been produced in high enough numbers so everyone interested could grab one. The previous problem with RSD as every fan well knows was they didn't manufacture enough so Ebay touts would end up fleecing people.

The 1981-1982 EP was a genuine milestone release for New Order's career and has not been re-released in its original form since the first time over 30 years ago.

This item's welcome enough for me...

Wasn't it on CD in 1990?

All that stuff came out at the time, and I don't think Factory ever did any retrospective reissue stuff apart from the two Substance comps. Incidentaly, DATS were meant to be the future - even when Rough Trade put out The Smiths "Rank" on DAT, they only made 100, and ended up chucking 50 of those in a skip unsold, I heard!

thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Ger  
#14 Posted : 27 October 2014 12:37:52(UTC)
Ger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Remember buying this in Virgin, Manchester, one of my favourite NO releases. Brings back memories of wandering into record stores in the UK and stumbling across some great gems. Coming from Dublin releases like this didn't always hit Golden/Dolphin discs which were our main stores at the time. Don't think I'll bother with the RSD release though, I'm not sure the remastering makes such a great difference on vinyl.
thanks 1 user thanked Ger for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#15 Posted : 27 October 2014 15:01:33(UTC)
NotAMod

Wasn't it on CD in 1990?

Yeah, the CD version was released in Canada only 25 years ago in 1989. Nowhere else.

All that stuff came out at the time, and I don't think Factory ever did any retrospective reissue stuff apart from the two Substance comps.

Like I said, they didn't really have time to do any retrospective stuff due to collapsing less than 14 years after they started. If they had continued they undoubtedly would have done lots of reissues as they had a pretty enviable catalogue of albums and singles. There definitely would have been New Order remasters and Joy Division compilations under the Factory emblem (in my opinion).

Anyway, I get your overall point, you're not fond of it. I'm not that fond of RSD either but the latest JD/NO items have been done in big enough batches which has meant ordinary fans can get a copy. That was my biggest gripe with it which they seem to have addressed. If you think it's worthless then don't bother queueing :-)

Hey, a clear vinyl remastered 81-82 EP is far better than yet another Best Of.
Bill  
#16 Posted : 28 October 2014 10:00:53(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Lovely to see this interesting EP get a heads up.It seemed to have kind of become forgotten about and overlooked for many years.Think the original vinyl release was my second New Order purchase after Power, Corruption & Lies around late 1983/early 1984 . My brother had glimpsed it in the record shop and mistakenly told me it was called 'Green Pastures', probably after seeing the 'Green' in Everything's Gone Green.I went into the record shop and asked for Green Pastures by New Order to the puzzlement of the guy though he quickly seemed to work out what i was actually after. The EP provided me with my first introduction to Temptation though i had the Kilkenny April 83 live version on a cassette after that gig was broadcast on Radio 1 late 1983.I once even owned a tee shirt with the painting featured on the sleeve and 'NEW ORDER' down one side of the painting.My first ever New Order tee shirt and extremely proud of it i was indeed oh yes.Only lasted a year or two though before falling apart.They should revive that as a tee, they've revived many other New Order releases as tees after all.Not that i'd ever wear it though i suppose.Picked up the CD version of the EP around 1989, again in the record shop in town.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Bill  
#17 Posted : 28 October 2014 11:21:47(UTC)
Bill

Man

Oh , it seems they have.Though it's a poor copy of the painting

UserPostedImage

Or

UserPostedImage

Even a phone case if yer so inclined

UserPostedImage

Duvet cover

UserPostedImage

God look at this lot while we're at it

[img]http:/[/img]UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Festival Of The 10th Summer phone case

UserPostedImage

[img]http://www.redbubble.com/people/truefaith88/works/11576037-new-order-true-faith-roxy-1987-theyre-all-taking-drugs-with-me-shirt?p=t-shirt#zoom[/img]

Quite like this one!

UserPostedImage

Erm...

UserPostedImage

Nice souvenir tee of Glastonbury 81 if you were there

UserPostedImage

More phone cases

Roxy 87 Don't Do Drugs.Lovely.

UserPostedImage

This is getting silly now

UserPostedImage

Barney 'I'm A Cheeky Bastard' .Nice.

UserPostedImage

P,C & L pixelled.Quite classy this one

UserPostedImage

God i could go on all night but it's probably better if i stop now.Here's the site link

RedBubble - All your New Order tees, iPhone cases, pillow cases and god knows what else here

Edited by user 28 October 2014 11:46:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2014(UTC)
Debaser  
#18 Posted : 28 October 2014 14:48:08(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
That website rings a bell actually. Somewhere on this forum someone posted the video below a few months ago (if you can bear it, then I salute you). In the Youtube description is a link to Red Bubble.
Looks like an unofficial thing, and I suspect N.O. aren't seeing a penny from this stuff. I'm not judging, after all a lot of this stuff isn't officially available. Just sayin.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2014(UTC)
Bill  
#19 Posted : 29 October 2014 12:00:23(UTC)
Bill

Man

Love to know what the person that came up with the designs for some of those tee shirts is onLaugh And you'd have to be on something yourself to think about paying the prices for some of that stuff
ROCKET MICK on 30/10/2014(UTC)
hibster  
#20 Posted : 05 November 2014 05:41:00(UTC)
hibster

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
so any news on this getting a uk release?
thanks 1 user thanked hibster for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2014(UTC)
negative1  
#21 Posted : 06 November 2014 11:16:17(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Looking forward to getting this. Plenty of record stores here in the states. I already have the cd release and the import vinyl. Nice to have a us release to add to the collection. Also have a large subway poster of it, and a small postcard too. Love the artwork.

Later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/11/2014(UTC)
Johnny James  
#22 Posted : 21 November 2014 03:23:26(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
FYI if you're in the UK: There are only 500 up for grabs and shop orders are being cut down, so if you want one better make sure you hit the shops next Friday.
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Aracri  
#23 Posted : 27 November 2014 07:52:37(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
I bought one copy from a record shop in Hungary today. I found it on eBay.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 27 November 2014 08:09:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#24 Posted : 28 November 2014 00:29:03(UTC)
NotAMod

A UK-based record shop entered the release into Discogs last night and simultaneously put up a new/sealed copy for sale for £20. I decided to just buy it there and then because I work and can't really afford to piss off from the office for an hour mid-morning to go to a shop. If it had been a weekend I would've probably made the effort but I'm happy to wait for mine to arrive in the post next week. £24 in total which is not much more than I would've paid if I had gone in person.

I've noticed an Ebay seller from Hungary selling them for around £45-50 including postage, bit steep but I can understand those in countries who aren't participating in Black Friday might just bite the bullet and go for it.
ROCKET MICK on 28/11/2014(UTC)
Debaser  
#25 Posted : 28 November 2014 04:50:28(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
A UK-based record shop entered the release into Discogs last night and simultaneously put up a new/sealed copy for sale for £20.

This the one? At the time of writing it shows, Last Sold: Never.
I've seen this before when I've bought something from Discogs and it doesn't seem to acknowledge it under 'Last Sold'. Not sure if it's a weakness in their system or I'm missing something obvious.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/11/2014(UTC)