logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NewOrderFan1990  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2014 20:29:19(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I wonder if the legal issues between Peter Hook and New Order will delay the release of the new album? I really hope not, I just wish they could get all this sorted out. Even if Peter Hook is never going to be in New Order again.
thanks 1 user thanked NewOrderFan1990 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/02/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
50poundnote  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2014 20:52:50(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 928 time(s) in 516 post(s)
Why would it? They've already released 3 albums post-split under the New Order name (Live At The London Troxy, Live At Bestival, Lost Sirens), and Hook isn't involved in any of the new music they're making, so he can't claim any sort of rights to it.
thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
NewOrderFan1990  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2014 21:26:04(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Well the legal issues delayed the Lost Sirens release for a year...
thanks 1 user thanked NewOrderFan1990 for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2014 00:49:39(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
The album that he was involved in.
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Neilypeel  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2014 06:15:18(UTC)
Neilypeel

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Is there defo new material coming out! Anything known about it? Cool
thanks 1 user thanked Neilypeel for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/02/2014(UTC)
0_o  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2014 10:39:20(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Peter Hook could claim that he is still part owner of the name and enterprise called "New Order". Hasn't Hooky complained in the past that they offered him a pittance to get lost, which he found insulting in his opinion.

I have no idea what actually has gone on, and since this would be the first new songs released under the NO name without him, who knows if Hooky would have a legal say or not. Didn't the two live albums have a charity angle, were basically official "bootlegs" of little commercial potential.

Who knows if Bernard has any songs ready anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/02/2014(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2014 23:27:46(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
0_o wrote:

Yeah, I can't offer any 'proper' info but I've always been sceptical. I summed up my thoughts ages ago and as expected there's been sweet FA to convince me otherwise in the meantime (45 at http://forums.neworderon...aspx?g=posts&m=12235). Ho hum...
I told Melanie C she had a clandestine relationship with my pet kangaroo. She wasn't convinced. She said, Is yer wallaby my lover?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/02/2014(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2014 07:38:25(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
0_o wrote:

Yeah, I can't offer any 'proper' info but I've always been sceptical. I summed up my thoughts ages ago and as expected there's been sweet FA to convince me otherwise in the meantime (45 at http://forums.neworderon...aspx?g=posts&m=12235). Ho hum...
I told Melanie C she had a clandestine relationship with my pet kangaroo. She wasn't convinced. She said, Is yer wallaby my lover?

Genius
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/02/2014(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2014 22:19:09(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I don't think it will delay things. I'm sure I remember something about a settlement being reached... although I could have imagined it...

If Hook can release "Pictures in My Mind" as a """new""" JD song then Shirley NO can release "whatever" as an NO song?
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
#10 Posted : 15 February 2014 23:57:53(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

UpDownTurnAround wrote:
I don't think it will delay things. I'm sure I remember something about a settlement being reached... although I could have imagined it...

If Hook can release "Pictures in My Mind" as a """new""" JD song then Shirley NO can release "whatever" as an NO song?

At long last New Order have someone who can play bass in Tom, and none of that daft arm waving. Why anyone would wanna see a tribute band when the real thing is there is beyond me.
NotAMod  
#11 Posted : 16 February 2014 08:32:19(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Anything posted here by most of us is obviously pure speculation but it would seem to me that little has changed on the surface at least. The 2011 line-up are still being billed as "New Order" at the upcoming Brazil Lollapalooza and US Sasquatch festivals so they're still very much using the name which was one of Peter Hook's bugbears. Either they've reached a better settlement with him or he doesn't have the absolute power to stop them from using it (again, speculation). That said, legal proceedings can literally take years... so it may be far from over yet.

UpDownTurnAround wrote:

A settlement was reached in order to bring Lost Sirens out but I don't think the name use/financial compensation situation going forward was resolved.

UpDownTurnAround wrote:

Pictures In My Mind was released under Peter Hook and The Light's name, not JD which is the key difference. It was essentially a Joy Division cover with a composition credit for each member of the band (yes even Bernard) on the sleeve of the 1102 | 2011 EP.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
markreed  
#12 Posted : 16 February 2014 10:07:32(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I reckon that given that GR, WFTSC and Lost Sirens all have some duff tracks on, perhaps the current band are writing the hell out of a new thing and junking songs to silence the doubters. That would be wishful thinking. Wish N.O. would do more UK/European live dates.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
#13 Posted : 16 February 2014 10:17:06(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

markreed wrote:
I reckon that given that GR, WFTSC and Lost Sirens all have some duff tracks on, perhaps the current band are writing the hell out of a new thing and junking songs to silence the doubters. That would be wishful thinking. Wish N.O. would do more UK/European live dates.

Agreed, I need a New Order live fix
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 17 February 2014 05:35:27(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
markreed wrote:
perhaps the current band are writing the hell out of a new thing and junking songs to silence the doubters. quote]

05.55 - 05.58 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7dxdi4o_8
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
komakino  
#15 Posted : 02 October 2014 01:24:03(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Three scenarios are possible:

1. Hook gets paid a satisfactory amount to no longer be part of the legal entity that is 'New Order' - Most Likely
2. Hook gets paid a percentage for the next album - Less Likely
3. Hook loses case completely and gets nothing - Unlikely, but possible.

It's weird that we have situation where both parties are right in a way and both legal teams will fight that. Hook will state that New Order cannot be a legs entity as he is not a part of it. 'New Order's' counsel will state that Hook decided to leave voluntarily and that was his call. The other members want to carry on.

The nearest I can think to this is Pink Floyd, and Roger Waters lost. You shouldn't have a situation where because one member of the band leaves, it cannot carry on with the same name - otherwise bands names would be changing all the time! Yet the nuts and bolts of the legal side is more complex and it sounds if New Order may have set them up for a difficult negotiation with a flawed legal agreement.

I do miss the tension in New Order and that was part of it's special nature. Bands that get on very well, tend to make dull music, bar the odd exception.
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/10/2014(UTC)
tapebias  
#16 Posted : 02 October 2014 08:49:54(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 156 post(s)
Originally Posted by: komakino Go to Quoted Post

I do miss the tension in New Order and that was part of it's special nature. Bands that get on very well, tend to make dull music, bar the odd exception.

Interesting points. You could argue that N.O music has been relatively dull the past 20 years despite the tension - I think age and lifestyle are way more influential especially when you hear BS's current influences.

Secondly, I'm not sure how Hooky expects to get a pay-off or royalties on future recordings. Do The Light pass on prs/royalties for using the JD/NO catalogue? Playing his arch rival's songs every night seems a strange act of revenge. Anyway, looking forward to hearing Fine Time in about a year or so.

thanks 2 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Sage_ on 02/10/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2014(UTC)
markreed  
#17 Posted : 02 October 2014 10:59:30(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: komakino Go to Quoted Post
Three scenarios are possible:

1. Hook gets paid a satisfactory amount to no longer be part of the legal entity that is 'New Order' - Most Likely
2. Hook gets paid a percentage for the next album - Less Likely
3. Hook loses case completely and gets nothing - Unlikely, but possible.

It's weird that we have situation where both parties are right in a way and both legal teams will fight that. Hook will state that New Order cannot be a legs entity as he is not a part of it. 'New Order's' counsel will state that Hook decided to leave voluntarily and that was his call. The other members want to carry on.

The nearest I can think to this is Pink Floyd, and Roger Waters lost. You shouldn't have a situation where because one member of the band leaves, it cannot carry on with the same name - otherwise bands names would be changing all the time! Yet the nuts and bolts of the legal side is more complex and it sounds if New Order may have set them up for a difficult negotiation with a flawed legal agreement.

The old agreement was that the band would change name if a member left, but that was forgotten around 2000 when Gillian had to look after her daughter. The issue with that - that Hook calls them "Fraud Order" - to me, is that he never had any problems with the band using the New Order when Gillian left, only when he left. And as far as I know, Hook made the decision to leave and was not fired. Therefore he voluntarily chose to give up involvement in the band, and thought the band was over just because he left. As I understood it, Bad Lieutenant existed (and not New Order in 2007-2011) mostly due to Gillian's illness and Mr Morris quite rightly looking after her during that time.

It is 100% a rerun of the Pink Floyd departure. However, Roger Waters took until The Floyd were defunct for 12 years before he took upon touring the old Floyd albums all over the world.

BS says in the NME interview that Hook gets paid for use of the New Order name, alongside the fact that he is credited as a writer on every single New Order track, and thus, must get royalties for every time they, he, or Kylie play a New Order or Joy Division song live or on record, even if it is only 3p* a time.

(*a guess)

Hook has said he is an oppressed minority which isn't strictly accurate, as he has chosen to leave the group and is not an active participant member in NewOrder as is, as he left in 2007. As for what happened before then I don't know. I'm fairly sure, if common sense prevails, they will do the same as Pink Floyd, and reach an agreement before it gets to court. I can't see it likely Hook will play will the rest of the band ever again, so it's more a case of agreeing the terms of seperation, Hook getting royalties for previous New Order record sales and writing etc., and letting them all continue to follow their seperate paths.

Sadly, solicitors get paid a fair whack by the hour, and will often not suggest a quick and easy pre-court agreement when there's a tasty court case between musicians they can charge £250 an hour for.

thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2014(UTC)
Sage_  
#18 Posted : 02 October 2014 23:53:57(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Neilypeel Go to Quoted Post
Is there defo new material coming out! Anything known about it? Cool

Yeah mate, they've recorded demos of "8 or 9" songs, they're recording them properly basically starting this week.
the songs are more dance/electronic/synth than the last few albums Bernard's done, the Chemical Brothers did production for 3 songs, NO are doing the production for the rest.
they've performed 2 of the new songs live, 'Plastic' and 'Singularity'.
They want to write 2 or 3 more songs to complete the album, then they will either release it in full or release a few songs at a time in EPs. (it's undecided)
Stephen said he would like to get the album done by the end of the year, but has no guarantee it'll happen.
It'll be released on Mute Records. (Depeche Mode, Erasure, Fad Gadget, Goldfrapp, etc.)

That's basically all we know.

Edited by user 03 October 2014 00:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: added line about record label

thanks 1 user thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
Debaser  
#19 Posted : 03 October 2014 01:46:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3005 time(s) in 2073 post(s)
Re: The Chemical Brothers, if they've already done some new collaborating (as BS suggested), it's weird that they wouldn't have recorded those tracks already, as Tom Rowlands is very much a 'studio' guy. (Incidentally Ed Simons isn't involved - too busy doing a university course).
Former 'Nu-Ravers' Klaxons worked with Rowlands on a number of tracks for their 2014 album too. But they didn't work with him and then come back to record them later...

As much as I love the Chemical Brothers, I should probably mention that Rowlands couldn't really polish the turd that was the Klaxons current album. The track below is probably the only good thing that came out of the Klaxons/Rowlands hook up, and this was a remix rather than the album version.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.